Film: The Gamers
The original short film that started The Gamers series follows a group of gamers playing a game (the name of the game is never actually mentioned, but it's Dungeons & Dragons) as they are about to face the final villain in the campaign. The action switches between the players—who have to deal with things like an absent gamer, a girl in a nearby room who is trying to study, and dice rolls—and the characters—who have to deal with things like bandits, a dead party member, and whether or not they are unconscious.
The short film provides examples of following tropes:
- Back Stab: With a $%#&ing siege weapon! Which also makes it a case of Ain't No Rule.
- Big "NO!": Rogar does one in a brief flashback to a previous session "at the battle of Black Fields, where Rogar's blood brother was killed."
- Big "WHY?!": Nimble does one in another flashback in which his sister is murdered outside the temple in Westhaven.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The first movie ends with the characters breaking into the room and slaughtering their players. The second movie reveals at least one managed to survive by not being in the room at the time, but severely traumatized by the event.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Sword of Ogre Decapitation.
- Expecting Someone Taller: MAKE WAY FOR THE BANDIT KING! ALL HAIL THE BANDIT KING! HAIL! HAIL!
- Gargle Blaster: The dwarven ale knocks Rogar out for an entire scene.
- The GM Is A Cheating Bastard: Nimble is allowed to break the rules at will; Newmoon isn't allowed to do anything but combat, and is denied the benefits of abilities his character legitimately has.
- Groin Attack: "Called shot to the nuts!"
- Loophole Abuse: Nimble convinces the GM to let him Back Stab a powerful enemy with, as the GM puts it "A fucking siege weapon!?"
- Retcon: Nimble manages to retcon his own death. Three times.Nimble: "Did I say walk down the corridor? I meant sneak down the corridor."Nimble: "Did I say sneak down the corridor? ...I crawl down the corridor. Inch by inch. Looking for traps."Nimble: [To Rogar, the party tank] "OK, actually, you go first."
- Talking Is a Free Action: The GM insists on allowing the bandit king to finish his speech before Newmoon can shoot him even though it technically allows the moment of surprise to lapse.
- Tap on the Head: If you need to be knocked out don't let the freakin' barbarian do it.Ambrose: 19 points... I'm DEAD!
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: A really different castle—the dorm where the game is happening.