Characters: The Vampire Diaries Main Characters
Click here to return to the character page.
open/close all folders
"I don't question why everyone tries so hard to save me. You shouldn't question why I try so hard to save everyone else."
Elena is a 17-year-old popular, beautiful human girl. She is the main protagonist and heroine of the series. Elena reassessed her priorities following the death of her parents in a car crash of which she was the only survivor. Elena fatefully meets a handsome, mysterious new student, Stefan Salvatore and feels an instant and undeniable connection with him. After a period of time, Elena starts to realize that Stefan is in fact far from normal. Unbeknown to her, Elena is far from normal as well.
As a Gilbert, she is a descendant of one of the town's Founding Families. She dies
in "The Departed" before it was revealed that Meredith had given her vampire blood earlier in the night and she wakes in the transitional stage.
- Action Girl / Action Heroine: Now that she is a vampire, she definitely classifies as this. She is tougher, stronger and has superhuman abilities. Not to mention that she is also a trained hunter because Alaric trained her in season three.
- Action Survivor: While not really an Action Girl (she's far too likely to be a Distressed Damsel), she is pretty competent while trying to defend herself. For example, when a strange vampire is trying to kill her, she stabs him with pencils - repeatedly - and then breaks a mop over her knee to try to stake him, and when a werewolf attacks her, she instantly sticks a knife into his gut. She's also adept at using her surroundings while trying to run away if pursued by a supernatural.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Elena was blonde in the original books, but on the show, she is a brunette.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Her relationships with Stefan (brooding, mysterious loner) and Damon (rebellious, wild bad boy).
- Alpha Bitch: She definitely shows shades of this without her humanity. Most notably as a cheerleader in 4x16.
- Always Someone Better: Caroline feels this way about her.
- Amicable Exes: With Matt. They were a couple before beginning of the series, now they are still good friends.
- Subverted with Stefan, who proclaimed that he was 'done with her' after realizing she was in love with his brother. (Which shouldn't have surprised him, considering the fact that he called her out on being in love with Damon before she became a vampire.)
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Many times with Stefan throughout the series. Especially in 4x01, when Elena is on the verge of death and she tells Stefan that she chose him because she loves him. Damon to Elena as well.
- Anti-Villainess: Elena with her humanity off as of 4x16.
- Badass: Especially as a vampire in season four.
- Badass Angster / Heartbroken Damsel: Elena has faced much grief, tragedy and pain in regards to her family, her love life and her personal life in general.
- Badass Normal: Before she was turned into a vampire, Elena was capable as a regular human of defending herself against all of the supernatural beings around her.
- Took a Level in Badass: Elena, slowly but surely. It starts in "Haunted" when she goes after Vicki with a 2x4, continues in "Unpleasantville" when she manages to hold off a vampire with just a few pencils long enough for Damon and Stefan to kill him, and becomes even more noticeable in "Let The Right One In" when she saves Stefan by staking Frederick with a vervain dart and momentarily incapacitating him and by offering Stefan some of her blood.
- Battle Couple: With Stefan, primarily in the earlier seasons.
- Became Their Own Antithesis: In the first season, Elena frequently says that she doesn't want to be compared to Katherine. But now, with her becoming a vampire and having her humanity shut off completely, she has become more like Katherine and not just in the looks department.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Elena has this type of relationship with Damon. Throughout the series, Elena has shown to have a sexual attraction towards Damon, much to Elena's annoyance.
- Berserk Button: Hurt any one of Elena's loved ones and watch her wrath.
- Betty and Veronica: She's the Archie for the Salvatore brothers (with Stefan as the "Betty" and Damon as the "Veronica"). The love triangle between Elena, Stefan and Damon is considered to be the main plot of the series.
- Beware the Nice Ones: A very sweet and kind person but more than capable of putting you down if You provoke her.
- Big Sister Instinct/Mama Bear: Towards Jeremy. Elena is seen to highly protective of Jeremy, even more so now considering that Jeremy is the only family that she really has left. She often lectures him, acting more like a mother figure to him from time to time.
- Birds of a Feather: With Stefan. It seems that Elena and Stefan have various things in common, most notably the fact that both Stefan and Elena like to write in journals and record their thoughts. This was emphasized in the Pilot episode.
- Blessed with Suck: Elena is the doppelgänger and therefore, because of it, she is the target of much danger. Elena's blood is special and is used for many spells and binding rituals, such as breaking Klaus' werewolf/hybrid curse and also, creating hybrids. So basically, for vampires, witches, werewolves and hybrids, Elena is a human blood bag.
- Born Unlucky / The Jinx: Elena is born a doppelganger, which means she's cursed with doom, pain, tragedy, and death. Because of her identity, many people she loves end up dying because of her. And the tragic or sad thing about it is that it's completely out of her control. See Doom Magnet.
- Brainy Brunette: She's smart, mature and a good student.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Elena did this with Stefan in season two by breaking up with Stefan in order to protect Stefan and her family and friends from Katherine Pierce.
- Break the Cutie: Elena goes from a happy, normal girl next door (despite the loss of her parents) to a girl who suffers almost everyday on a daily basis. In the past year, she has gone through so much chaos in such a short amount of time.
- Broken Bird: Especially after her parents had died. Elena became cynical about life. She even admitted that after the accident, she felt like she didn't know how to live anymore.
- Also including all of the countless tragedies that Elena goes through such as constantly losing loved ones, her doppelganger curse, etc.
- Broken Heroine: Been through endless grief and tragedy, yet still manages to keep going regardless.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Elena is the Gentle Girl to Stefan's Brooding Boy.
- In the beginning, Stefan is a brooding, mysterious loner who meets and falls for Elena, the sweet, gentle girl next door. Despite Stefan's ongoing angsting, especially about his guilt and his dark, mysterious past, Elena often makes Stefan smile and brings out a much lighter, playful side of Stefan.
- Brown Eyes: A defining physical characteristic of Elena.
- Came Back Wrong: After she was turned into a vampire, it was discovered that Elena is sired to Damon.
- Character Tics: Elena tucks her hair behind her ear a lot.
- The Cheerleader: Played straight. She was a cheerleader in the first season but she quit due to personal reasons. Although, Elena would be considered to be a nice cheerleader. She did not fit the typical personality of a classic cheerleader. In other words, Elena isn't an Alpha Bitch or Queen Bee.
- She's set to return to it in "Bring It On".
- The Chick / The Heart: Elena is the glue that holds everyone together.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Matt. They grew up together since childhood and eventually began dating in their teen years.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: A rather heroic version of this. She literally stabs Rebekah in the back in "Homecoming". Justified in the case of what happened with Elijah but Rebekah is not happy about it
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Elena gets this way in regards to Stefan. First with Caroline, then with Katherine and then with Rebekah.
- She also was this with Damon after he slept with Rebekah in season three.
- Cool Big Sis / Big Sister Instinct: She's very protective of her troubled younger brother Jeremy.
- Dating Catwoman: With Damon. Many of her friends and family seem to disapprove of her romantic relationship with Damon, most notably Caroline.
- Deadpan Snarker: Not as much as other characters, but it's there.
- Designated Victim: Elena seems to be the victim of getting attacked, kidnapped, or hurt every single week. She's definitely up there with Caroline. (And Damon, considering how often he gets tortured on-screen.)
- Destructive Romance: With both of the Salvatores at various points in each relationship.
- Deus Angst Machina: It's a wonder the girl hasn't broken down yet, with all the tragedy she's experienced. Parents dead, discovered they're not really her parents, biological parents die, aunt and father-figure die, faces death on a daily basis, boyfriend went insane and homicidal, became a vampire, the list goes on and on and on.
- And then she finally breaks down, flips her vampire switch and literally burns the whole house down in the wake of Jeremy's death. The angst, this girl cannot get enough.
- Disappeared Dad: Her adoptive father Grayson is deceased. As well as her biological father, John.
- Distress Ball: Especially when she was a human. Elena was always the target of supernatural beings, including vampires, werewolves, witches and Originals, which always put Elena in constant danger.
- Distressed Damsel: Although not as often as you could expect, and often justified.
- Doom Magnet: See Deus Angst Machina.
- Doppelgänger: Elena is the doppelganger of both Katherine Pierce and Tatia; she is the good counterpart to Katherine's Evil Counterpart.
- Doppelgänger Replacement Love Interest: Elena is this to both Stefan and Damon, since they were both in love with Katherine who is Elena's doppelganger. And possibly Elijah, for Tatia.
- Dude Magnet: Nearly every male character is attracted or has been drawn to Elena, including Stefan, Damon, Elijah, and Matt. Subjective in the case of Elijah, since it may have simply been interest at her resemblance to Tatia, the love he shared with his brother Klaus. None of the other male characters show much interest in Elena romantically.
- Dying Declaration of Love: To Stefan in 4x01. She tells Stefan as she is dying from not feeding on human blood during her transformation, that she came back for Stefan because she loved him.
- Damon gave this to Elena in 2x22, going so far as to say he didn't regret any of his past choices, horrible as they were, because if he hadn't made them he would never have met her.
- Easily Forgiven: All of the characters seem to easily forgive Elena if she screws up or makes mistakes. Her mistakes are normally glossed over rather easily.
- The same applies to most characters on the show, especially the vampires. Elena has certainly forgiven Stefan and Damon for a whole lot in the past 3+ seasons.
- Emotionless Girl / Ice Queen: As of 4x15, when Damon told Elena to turn off her emotions and her humanity through the sire bond.
- Emotion Suppression: As of 4x15, when Damon told Elena to turn her humanity off.
- Eternal Love: Now that Elena is a vampire, she can be in a relationship with Stefan for an eternity. In 4x01, Elena told Stefan that she wanted to be with Stefan forever.
- Apparently not, as of 4x06
- Expository Hairstyle Change: As of 4x17, Elena has a new hairstyle.
- Fake American: She is played by Nina Dobrev, who is Bulgarian-Canadian.
- The Fashionista: Since turning into a vampire in season four, Elena has appeared to be more into fashionable and trendy clothing.
- Fatal Flaw: Elena has a few flaws which include her hypocrisy and her indecisiveness. She can be a little bit self-aborbed as well, feeling that everything is her fault and is all about her. To be fair, though, almost everything that’s gone wrong in Mystic Falls on a supernatural level, from Stefan taking interest in her to Klaus coming to town, is because of her mystical heritage as the doppelganger, so most of the town’s problems ‘’are’’ about her.
- The Fettered: Elena is one of the characters that is the primary moral compass of the show. She lives by a strong set of morals, ideals, values and beliefs and always believes in doing the right thing.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Responsible to Jeremy's Foolish.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: Retains her kindness and compassion even after she turns.
- Girl Next Door: Despite her popularity, Elena is the typical friendly, sweet "good girl" and it's easy to talk with her.
- Go-Getter Girl: Elena is highly active socially. She is scholarly, ambitious and hardworking. She is always involved in the extra school curricular activities and events.
- Good Girl Gone Bad: After Elena had her humanity switched off, Elena became much more rebellious and uncaring.
- Good Is Not Nice: Especially as non-humanity!Elena.
- Good Is Not Soft: Elena is generally nice and caring but it isn't a good idea to get on her bad side by hurting people she loves.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Elena has a bit of a jealous streak.
- Most recent example is when Elena saw Stefan and Caroline dancing together in 4x16, Elena was obviously jealous, even when her humanity is shut off.
- Guile Heroine
- Happily Adopted: Before her parents died. This is largely because she didn't even know she was adopted until after they were dead.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Elena without her humanity seems to enjoy partying and drinking.
- Heroic BSOD: Goes into severe denial when Jeremy is Killed Off for Real to the extent of not smelling the decomposition, followed by a complete breakdown, followed by Damon making her turn off her emotions.
- The Heroine: Elena is the main character of the series whose primary purpose is to save and protect everyone. Also see Protagonist and Main Character.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Attempts this throughout season two. Elena was willing to sacrifice her life so that the majority of her family and friends didn't have to die. She does this in 3x22 when she tells Stefan to save Matt first.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Bonnie and Caroline.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Elena isn't the best judge of character and she often always gives people the benefit of the doubt too much. Elena has been shown to be rather naive and trusting of people way too easily. Therefore, she always finds herself in trouble as a result.
- Hypocrite: Elena can be rather hypocritical sometimes. Elena condemns having her choice or free will taken away from her. Yet, she frequently asked Damon to compel Jeremy to forget things a few times.
- Also when Elena blasted Jeremy for being in love with Ghost!Anna, yet Elena was doing nothing but trying to get Non-Humanity!Stefan to turn his humanity back.
- Elena even compared loving non-humanity!Stefan to loving a ghost, which was ironically what Jeremy was doing.
- I Can Change My Beloved: In regards to Damon.
- Also in regards to ripper!Stefan and non-humanity!Stefan in season three.
- The Idealist: Mostly in the first season. Elena was a generally hopeful, optimistic individual who always believed in the best outcome possible. However, since then, Elena has become more cynical, which is to be expected considering all the tragedy that she has been through.
- Even when things got bad, Elena was still quite hopeful.
- Identical Granddaughter: Thanks to her dopplegangerness, she has this with Katherine, several generations removed. And Tatia, even further back.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Erasing Jeremy's memory of Vicki being a vampire and of her death, and lying to everyone about it to protect them. Also when she has Damon compel Jeremy to go to Denver, after witnessing him hacking off the head of a hybrid with no hesitation.
- I Just Want To Be Normal / Reluctant Heroine: Says this almost word-for-word to Stefan. Elena thinks she's normal but down the line, she discovers that she has a secret legacy of being a doppelganger and that she is tied to the supernatural. Elena tries to repeatedly run the other way and not face her true identity. Before Elena was turned into a vampire, Elena had told Stefan that she doesn't want to be a vampire, that she wanted to get married, grow old, have children and grandchildren. But Elena is so torn because she loves Stefan and Stefan is a vampire incapable of giving Elena all that she desires. Nonetheless, Stefan understands Elena not wanting to turn into a vampire, because Stefan has always desired to be normal himself.
- Immortality: Elena is a vampire since she was turned at the end of season 3.
- Elena is Type V: The Undead. Although Elena seems like she is "alive", she is actually dead but she's living.
- Elena is Type X: Vampiric, a Life Drinker
- Interspecies Romance: Elena had this type of relationship with Stefan, since Stefan was a vampire and Elena was a human. However, since season three, Elena is now a vampire, and she and Stefan have broken up.
- It's All About Me: Sometimes Elena thinks that everything good or bad that happens is because of her. She can come off self-absorbed at times.
- Somewhat justified, as most of the supernatural goings on have come about either directly or indirectly because she is the doppelganger.
- It's All My Fault: Elena often feels extremely guilty, feeling that she is responsible for every bad thing that has happened to her friends and family due to who she is and her being a doppelganger.
Elena to Stefan in 2x9: It's not just me that's in danger, it's Caroline, it's Tyler and it's Bonnie. They are all part of breaking the curse. I can't blame anyone else anymore. Because it's not because you came into town, or because you and I fell in love. That's not why everyone I love is in danger. It's because of me, everything is because of ME!
- The Kirk: Elena is this of the main trio between herself (The Kirk, Ego), Stefan (The Spock, Superego) and Damon (The McCoy, Id). Elena is stable, balanced and she is the centre of the trio. She often chooses between Stefan and Damon's side.
- Lack of Empathy: Elena without her humanity is cold, ruthless and uncaring. She can hurt others without feelings any guilt or remorse.
- The Leader: Out of the core group of girls, Elena seems to take the lead than Caroline or Bonnie. However, in the beginning, Caroline seemed to take the lead, especially in the cheerleading squad.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Elena is the Light Feminine to Katherine's Dark Feminine. Elena and Katherine are both doppelgangers who share an uncanny physical appearance. Elena is the Light Feminine (good, moral) and Katherine is Dark Feminine (bad, immoral). Both share a common love and interest in Stefan and are often in competition with each other for his affections.
- Long Hair Is Feminine
- Love Epiphany: With Damon.
- Love Hurts: Elena's love life is nothing but heartbreak and confusion.
- Love Interest: Primarily to Stefan. Elena is the main love interest of Stefan.
- As of season four, to Damon.
- Love Will Lead You Back: At the start of season 3, Elena refuses to go on without Stefan coming back into her life. Caroline mentions that since Stefan had left with Klaus, that Elena had stopped living and had let life pass her by. Elena spent much of season three trying to get Stefan back and get him to turn on his humanity again.
- Main Character
- Manipulative Bitch: Elena with her humanity off. She is cold, manipulative and cunning.
- Mayfly-December Romance: Is over a century and a half younger than both Stefan and Damon.
- Meet Cute: With Stefan in the Pilot episode. They meet each other for the first time outside of the men's washroom, which is kind of embarrassing on Elena's part considering she's actually coming out of the men's washroom.
- Memento MacGuffin: Elena's necklace, in which Stefan gave to her in 1x03. The necklace is often seen as a representation of Stefan and Elena's love. Aside from that, the amulet actually has many supernatural ties to it:
- The amulet is used as a talisman to connect to the Original Witch, Esther.
- The amulet is indestructible. To some fans, the fact that the amulet couldn't be destroyed when Bonnie through it into the fire and cast a spell, was a representation of Stefan and Elena's undying love.
- The amulet also allowed Esther to use magic in the living world while she was still on the Other Side.
- The amulet also contains a portion of Esther's magic.
- Missing Mom: Her adoptive mother Miranda is dead. As is her biological mother Isobel
- Elena's biological mother Isobel gave Elena up for adoption. Elena never knew about Isobel until later on in her life.
- Morality Chain: She is this to both Stefan and Damon but more Damon.
- Morality Pet: Elena is this for Damon. On occasions Stefan, Alaric and lately Jeremy fulfill this function for Damon as well. She is this for Stefan as well, especially since the revelation that he can't love her as a vampire, since she no longer helps him forget what he is (which is one of the things he says to Lexi in season 1 as a reason he's in love with her).
- My God, What Have I Done?: Elena has committed some immoral acts (especially recently as a vampire) where she has been overwhelmed with guilt and appalled by her own actions. One example is in 4x05, when Elena kills Connor. She ends up consumed and overwhelmed with guilt, shocked that she actually killed a human being. Due to her inner guilt, Elena ends up being haunted afterwards by Ghost!Connor. Another example is in 4x04, when Elena and Damon feed on endless humans at a party and she gives into her blood lust, not realizing what she is doing. Elena comes off of her blood high when she sees Bonnie looking at her concerned and Elena realizes her out of control actions. She then breaks down to Bonnie about how what she was doing was not her and that she doesn't want to be that person.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Elena when she was sired to Damon. When Elena was under control of the sire bond, she would do what Damon told her to do, even if it was something that Elena wouldn't like or agree with. The purpose of the sire bond was for Elena to obey to what Damon wanted no matter what.
- Nice Girl: Elena is kind, compassionate, friendly and down to earth. She is the kind of person anyone would want to befriend.
- Non-human Lover Reveal: In 1x06, Elena discovers Stefan's deep dark secret when she starts to put the pieces together of all of the strange events that have happened recently to the town as well as to people around her: Stefan is a vampire. At first, Elena is completely scared and freaked when she discovers Stefan's revelation but eventually, she becomes more understanding of Stefan and his vampirism. Elena eventually comes around completely and accepts and loves Stefan as a vampire, despite being extremely hesitant at first after finding out his secret.
- Not Herself: Basically for most of Season 4 as a vampire. She couldn't keep any blood down (including animal blood, human blood from blood bags and even vampire blood); she became irrational, impulsive, moody and she had the serious urge to feed off of humans and kill; she killed someone for the first time (Connor); she hallucinated Ghost!Connor; she's tried to kill Jeremy a few times; she became suicidal and tried to kill herself and finally, she's sired to Damon. Elena is most definitely NOT herself.
- And to add to that, as of 4x15, she now has her humanity switched off.
- Official Couple: With Stefan for most of the series. However, Elena and Stefan recently broke up in "We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes" due to Elena confessing that she loves Damon.
- Official Couple Ordeal Syndrome: her relationship with Stefan. There is NOTHING that Stefan and Elena have not been through.
- Ordinary High-School Student: She was this before being involved in a lot of supernatural events and characters.
- Parental Abandonment: Both her parents died before the beginning of the series
- Platonic Life Partners: With Matt, her childhood friend and first love.
- Plucky Girl: Considering everything she has been through.
- The Pollyanna: Despite all of the hardships that Elena has gone through, losing family members and friends, losing the love of her life a few times, and all of her loved ones constantly being put in danger, Elena still manages to put on a happy face most of the time. She tries to remain as optimistic as possible.
- The President's Daughter: As the doppelganger, whose blood breaks the moonstone curse, she is actively sought after by the vampires.
- Pro-Human Transhuman: Is a vampire, but Elena tries to uphold her humanity as much as possible.
- Protagonist: She's the main character. Elena (along with Stefan and Damon) is the central character of the story as the story centers around her journey and her life.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Elena is the Blue Oni to Caroline's Red Oni. Elena is more calm, cool, logical and Caroline is more impulsive, passionate and intense.
- Reincarnation Romance / Red String of Fate: Elena's relationship with Stefan.
- Rescue Romance: With Stefan. Four months before Elena met Stefan, Stefan had saved her life at the car accident at Wickery Bridge.
- Elena and Damon have also saved each other’s lives several times over the course of the series.
- Secret Legacy: Elena is a doppelganger. She is the doppelgänger of Katherine Pierce.
- Seen It All: Elena, as a human, has seen everything that is supernatural and out of the ordinary. Therefore, Elena becomes completely unfazed by anything that is unusual. She's seen everything from vampires, witches, werewolves, and hybrids to the Original vampires.
- Self-Sacrifice Scheme: Elena had this in season two. Her friends did not approve.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: First with Matt, but mostly with Stefan.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Stefan.
- Stepford Smiler: Elena may be in pain but she often covers it up with a smile.
- The Stoic: As Non-Humanity!Elena.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To Katherine. They are identical in physical appearance. This is because Elena is Katherine's doppelgänger and Elena is a descendent of Katherine.
- Suicide By Sunlight: Elena attempted this in 4x06, but Damon saved her.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Humanity!Elena versus non-humanity!Elena. Elena with her humanity is warm, empathetic, kind and caring but Elena without her humanity is ruthless, cold, unkind, selfish and uncaring.
- Superpower Lottery: Because of Elena's vampirism, she possesses standard vampire powers and abilities.
- Super Speed: Elena can move and run much faster than that of a normal human.
- Super Reflexes: Also known as super agility. Elena can react much faster and quicker to situations than that of a normal human.
- Super Strength: Elena is able to carry or lift heavier objects with much ease and little effort.
- Mind Manipulation: Elena is able to control the mind of any human, influencing their thoughts and their actions in the process. The only way to prevent Elena from mind influencing someone is for the human victim to have vervain on them.
- Healing Factor: Elena can get stabbed, shot or wounded and she will heal immediately.
- Super Senses: All of Elena's senses, such as sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing have become clearer, stronger and heightened. She is able to see, smell and hear things from a greater distance than that of a normal human.
- Supporting Leader: Stefan often takes the lead in most plans or missions.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: After turning off her humanity.
- Tragic Heroine: Elena has gone through nothing but pain and endless hardships due to the fact that she was born to be doomed (due to her family history and her identity as a doppelgänger). She is probably one of the most tragic characters on the show ―definitely up there with Stefan).
- Trauma Conga Line: See Deus Angst Machina and Doom Magnet.
- Tsundere: Elena is a Type B in her interactions with Damon.
- Undying Loyalty: To Damon. The major reason for this is because she is sired to Damon. Because of this, Elena automatically does everything that Damon asks of her, even if it isn't something she really wants to do deep down.
- Elena told Stefan that ever since she turned, her feelings for Damon have magnified. This is possibly due to the sire bond between Damon and Elena.
- Elena couldn't keep any of the blood that she was drinking (animal blood, human blood from blood bags, vampire blood) down during the beginning of her transformation because Damon had told her that she could only drink human blood straight from the vein.
- Damon had told Elena to kill Connor if she had ever come in contact with him. Elena ends up killing Connor because Damon had commanded her to do so.
- It should be mentioned that Damon gave several direct orders to Elena which she didn’t follow through with:
- Unexpected Inheritance: Elena (as well as Jeremy) had no financial troubles following the death of their parents.
- Unfazed Everyman: Elena between Season's 1 to 3 before she was turned into a vampire in Season 4. Elena as a human was primarily surrounded by friends and family that were supernatural beings (vampires, werewolves, witches, etc) with the exception of Matt. Elena has seen every supernatural being as a human that she became completely unfazed by any of it.
- Her love interests are vampires.
- Her friends/allies are various supernatural beings.
- Members of her family were supernatural beings (Katherine, Isobel, Alaric and Jenna were/became vampires; Jeremy is a medium/vampire hunter/Member of The Five)
- She was sought after by the Originals (Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, Kol, Finn, Mikael), whom are all vampires with the exception of Esther, who was the Original witch.
- Elena becomes even more unfazed by the supernatural beings around her when she discovers that she's actually a supernatural being herself.
- The Unfettered: Elena without her humanity doesn't seem to care what she does, even if she is hurting others, very much like non!humanity!Stefan in season three. She will do whatever she wants regardless and doesn't have any remorse for her out of control actions.
- Weirdness Magnet: Vampires, werewolves, her best friend being a witch...
- Will They or Won't They?: Elena has this type of dynamic with Damon.
- Viral Transformation: At the end of season three when Elena dies with vampire blood in her system and turns into a vampire as a result.
"I don't hurt people. I don't do that. I'm the good brother."
Stefan is a mysterious, handsome century old immortal. He is a protagonist, and narrator of the series. Stefan is known to be the good vampire brother (between he and Damon) and is seen to be kind, caring, compassionate, heroic and selfless. Stefan tries to avoid drinking human blood due to the fact that he hates hurting or killing anyone ( Not to mention drinking human blood turns him into an insane, amoral "ripper"
, choosing to feed from the blood of animals instead. As a result, Stefan is weaker than most other vampires, in particular, his elder brother Damon, who has bared a grudge against Stefan for over a century. Early in the series, Stefan fatefully meets and falls in love with Elena Gilbert. He develops a mutual romantic relationship with her while protecting her and her loved ones both from his own nature and other vampires. As of the season two finale Stefan reverted back to his darker side, the Ripper, in order to save Damon from dying from a fatal werewolf bite. In exchange for the cure (which is Klaus' hybrid blood), he became a servant to The Big Bad, Klaus.
Since season three onwards, Stefan has turned on his humanity and reverted back to his normal, humane self.
- Action Hero: Involved in the middle of all of the action in the series.
- Actual Pacifist: Especially in season one. Stefan does not really like resorting to violence of any sort, but he will do so if necessary. Expect Stefan to angst afterwards though.
- Alliterative Name: Stefan's first and last name begin and end with the same letter: S.
- Always Someone Better: Damon often thinks of Stefan this way.
- Anchored Ship: With Elena in Seasons 1 and 2.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: To Elena.
- Anti-Hero: In Season 3 and arguably Season 4.
- Anti-Villain: Type III or IV in Season 3.
- The Atoner
- Badass: Especially in Season 3.
- Badass Biker: As of season four, it appears that Stefan's official vehicle of choice is his motorcycle. See Cool Bike.
- Badass Boast: Has his moments, especially when he is threatened or his loved ones are threatened. Not as much as Damon though.
- Badass Bookworm: Stefan is known to be highly scholarly and academic. He often spends his time studying or researching and he has a passion for writing and literature. Stefan attended ivy league schools such as Harvard.
- Badass Nickname: The RIPPAH.
- Cultured Badass: Stefan is well-read, loves writing, literature, music and art. He is highly sentimental and has a pile of journals and diaries in which he has written in over the course of his immortal life
- Heartbroken Badass / Badass Angster
- Hidden Badass: Only in the very beginning.
- Pop-Cultured Badass:
- Badass in Distress: Stefan gets himself into trouble at times and requires help from time to time, although he is still completely capable of fending for himself.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Since he is a vampire, Stefan is capable of using his abilities to be extremely destructive, but instead, he chooses to use his abilities to save and help others because of who he is.
- Battle Couple: With Elena, particularly in the earlier seasons.
- Being Evil Sucks: He always struggles to rid himself of his human blood addiction, because he really doesn't want to be a bad guy.
- Berserk Button: If you want to get on Stefan's bad side, trying hurting Elena, Caroline, Damon or anyone he loves and cares about.
"Hurt her again and you're dead." - Stefan about Caroline to Jules in 2x13
- Beware the Nice Ones: especially when they go all Ripper
- Betty and Veronica: Stefan is involved in quite a few love triangles, the most notable and recent one being the one between himself, Elena and Damon. Stefan is the Betty to Damon's Veronica for Elena's Archie.
- The Betty to Damon's Veronica for Katherine's Archie.
- The Archie to Elena's Betty and Katherine's Veronica.
- The Archie to Elena's Betty and Rebekah's Veronica
- In the very beginning, the Archie to Elena's Betty and Caroline's Veronica
- The Veronica to Matt's Betty for Elena's Archie.
- Big Brother Instinct: To Jeremy. Stefan is often protective of Jeremy and makes sure that he is safe.
- Big Brother Mentor: Primarily to Jeremy. Stefan is seen to be protective of Jeremy. He takes on a bit of a big brother role and mentor to Jeremy whenever Elena isn't present. An example of this is in 2x01, after Jeremy had taken pills and drank Anna's blood in attempts to become a vampire. Stefan told Jeremy to snap out of this; that he (Jeremy) really didn't want to do this because he (Jeremy) would end up regretting it for the rest of his life. Stefan also frequently gives Jeremy advice, pep talks and even lectures from time to time.
- Also, to Caroline at the beginning of season two. He taught Caroline how to control herself on blood and keep her humanity.
- Big Man on Campus / The Ace: Stefan is popular, athletic, a good student and easily attracts the girls.
- Birds of a Feather: With Elena. It seems that Elena and Stefan have various things in common, most notably the fact that like Elena, Stefan also writes in a journal and records his thoughts.
- Bookworm: Stefan is highly knowledgable and well-read. He reads, studies and researches a lot.
- Break Her Heart To Save Her: Stefan occasionally does this to Elena throughout the series. Stefan breaks up with Elena or turns his back on her in order to protect Elena. This is especially evident in season three when Stefan leaves Mystic Falls with Klaus and becomes a Ripper in order to protect Elena and the rest of the town.
- Break the Cutie: Whenever Stefan finds some sort of happiness, something is always out there to hurt Stefan and to make him suffer.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Stefan is the Brooding Boy to Elena's Gentle Girl, primarily in season one.
- Butt Monkey / The Chew Toy: From his blood addiction issues, to him battling with the dark side of himself (the Ripper), to his never ending guilt, to self-loathing as a vampire, Stefan can never seem to catch a break. He is always the one getting kicked around. As if Stefan didn't just recover from being a blood-addicted, compelled-by-Klaus, humanity-turned-off Ripper, he loses Elena (who happens to sired to Damon) to his brother, Damon. He doesn't even seem to be having much luck in the romance department; something that Stefan has always had at least a little bit of luck.
- Captain Obvious:
Bonnie: "What's going on?"
Jeremy: "We're gonna kill Katherine."
Stefan: "I can explain."
Stefan: "We're ...gonna kill Katherine."
- The Casanova / The Charmer: Stefan is popular with women and can easily charm the ladies. He was quite the charmer and womanizer during his Ripper days. He attracted the ladies like a moth to a flame. Most of his victims seemed to be women.
- Character Tics: Stefan often tilts his head to the side when he's looking at or talking to someone.
- Also seems to point his fingers when talking or trying to make a point.
- Chick Magnet: At the beginning of the series, all of the girls within the school found Stefan attractive, were drawn to him and wanted to gain his attention. Stefan has been the object of romantic interest for all of the major female characters of the series including Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, Katherine, Jenna, Callie, Rosalyn, and Rebekah.
- Clark Kenting: Especially in season one. Stefan kept his identity as a vampire as secret from everyone and tried to pass himself off as a new transfer student at Mystic Falls High.
- Cock Fight: Against Damon over the affections of Katherine and Elena.
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: Stefan has to resist the urge to drink human blood every day, as humans walk all around him.
- The Comically Serious: Stefan has a very dry, sarcastic sense of humour.
- Cool Bike: Stefan owns his own Harley motorcycle.
- Cool Car: Stefan drives a red 1963 Porsche 356B Karmann Coupe.
- Cool Shades: Is seen wearing them sometimes, most notably in 1x19.
- Corrupt the Cutie: What Klaus did to Stefan at the end of season two by reverting Stefan back into a Ripper.
- The Corruptible: To Klaus.
- Cursed with Awesome: Stefan is a vampire with superhuman abilities. Although, Stefan actually sees it as a curse more than anything.
- Dandere: Stefan is generally shy but around the right people, he loosens up and is rather friendly and talkative.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He has gone through some very dark phases in his immortal life and has a darker alter ego, known as the Ripper.
- Dark Side: Stefan has went down the path of darkness a few times throughout his immortal life, like an on and off switch. Although, he often recovers from it and gains his humanity and compassionate side again.
- The Dark Side Will Make You Forget: As the ripper. Stefan descends so far into darkness and into the bloodlust, that he even mentions in one of his journals that he blacks out completely, forgetting how many people he's killed, how much human blood he's drank, etc.
- Deadpan Snarker: He's usually stoic but his scenes with Damon are true Snark-to-Snark Combat.
- Deal with the Devil: Stefan has done this many, many times with Klaus. He did this at the end of season two when he sacrificed himself and his humanity and became the Ripper in exchange for his hybrid blood to cure Damon's fatal werewolf bite. Stefan did this again in season four, when he made a secret deal to work with Klaus to find a cure for Elena to become human again.
- Declaration of Protection: Stefan's existence basically revolves around protecting Elena and keeping her safe at all times.
- Despair Event Horizon: There have been times throughout Stefan's immortal life where he has descended so far into darkness that he had given up hope and shut off his humanity. A prime example of this is evident in season 3 when Stefan shut off his humanity after suffering much guilt from being the Ripper. Being a Ripper again changed Stefan as a person and turned Stefan from an Ideal Hero to an Anti-Hero and even an Anti-Villain. Case in point, Stefan is a walking tragedy.
- Determinator: Stefan is an extremely determined individual and he NEVER gives up. Whenever he has a mission, plan, agenda or goal in sight or in mind, he will do anything and everything to accomplish it. An example of this is Stefan doing everything in his power to find the cure for Elena to become human again, going as far as to make a deal with Klaus and making Jeremy stake vampires so that 'The Five' mark on Jeremy's hand grows. Stefan's primary motivation behind trying to find the cure for Elena to become human is a combination of guilt (from not saving her instead of Matt at the end of season 3) and realizing how much Elena has changed as an individual as a vampire (Elena's erratic behaviour, depression, suicidal tendencies, mood swings, etc).
- Deus Angst Machina: Stefan is almost always angsting about something. It is normally about something that he feels guilty about.
- Deuteragonist: To Elena's protagonist. Stefan is hero and Elena is the main character. He is the second most important character of the series after Elena.
- Doom Magnet: Pain, trouble, darkness and despair seem to follow Stefan wherever he goes. He seems to attract it all of the time, probably more than any other character in the series.
- The Dragon: In season 3, Stefan was basically Klaus' second in command. when he worked with him and helped him to create an army of Hybrids.
- Dragon with an Agenda: Stefan may have been The Dragon to Klaus, but he sure had very different motives than his master, Klaus. While Klaus wanted to kill Elena and take her blood in order to create more Hybrids, Stefan was protecting Elena and the entire town of Mystic Falls from Klaus.
- The Dreaded: Non-Humanity!Stefan aka The Rippah.
- Driven to Suicide: In 1x20 Blood Brothers, Stefan wanted to end it all because of his extreme guilt. He attempted to do so by taking off his daylight ring.
- Drunk on the Dark Side: Especially as a ripper. Once he becomes a ripper, he loses all control and gets drunk on the power of feeding on human blood.
- Dynamic Character: Since the start of the series, Stefan has gone through the most changes and ups and downs on a characterization basis.
- Easily Forgiven: Since Stefan is often viewed as a more moral character of the show, many of his immoral or morally questionable deeds and acts are brushed aside. Elena is especially very forgiving of Stefan. After Stefan had nearly driven Elena off of Wickery Bridge (y'know, where her parents died and she almost died, so a traumatic location to begin with) and terrorized her in 3x11, Elena immediately forgave Stefan in the next episode after Stefan apologized and realized the error of his ways.
- Emotion Suppression: In "The Reckoning", Klaus compels Stefan to shut of his humanity and his emotions.
- Lasts only a couple of with him being a huge Jerkass.
- Enemy Within: Stefan's dark side or alter ego: The Ripper.
- Eternal Love: With Elena. Apparently. Not so much as of Season Four.
- Everyone Can See It: Stefan has this type of relationship with Elena. Almost all of the characters on the show can see or have commented on Stefan and Elena's undying love for each other. An example of this would be Klaus telling Damon referring to Stefan and Elena's love for each other: "Crazy or not, that kind of love never dies". A second example is when Caroline told Elena: "Stefan is your epic love". A third example is Lexi telling Elena referring to her love and relationship with Stefan: "When it's real, you can't walk away". Other characters on the show have noticed and commented on Stefan and Elena's love and devotion to each other, such as Damon, Katherine, Klaus, and Rebekah. Various characters on the show have also been shown to be Stelena supporters or shippers. Such characters include Klaus, Caroline, Bonnie, Matt, Lexi, Jeremy, Jenna, etc. The producers of the series, Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec have both referred to Stefan and Elena as being the true epic love story of the show. Kevin Williamson has repeatedly referred to Stefan and Elena as soul mates. He also suggests that although the plot is about a love triangle (between Elena, Stefan and Damon), the series revolves around Stefan and Elena's love story and that their relationship is the central plot and "anchor" of the show.
Caroline to Elena: "Stefan is your epic love.''
Lexi to Elena: "When it's real, you can't walk away."
Klaus to Damon: "Crazy or not, that kind of love never dies."
Klaus to Stefan and Elena: "Now this is fascinating. The only thing stronger than your craving for blood is your love for this one girl."
Matt to Stefan: "You guys are good together. I wasn't so sure before, but Elena is happy."
Rebekah to Stefan: "I envy the love you have for each other."
Damon to Elena: Stefan. It's always going to be...Stefan."
Caroline to Elena: "Stefan is your soulmate!"
Caroline to Stefan: "You and her [Elena]? EPIC."
Jeremy to Stefan: "I'm glad that you guys are back together."
Rose to Jeremy: "Stefan is different. His love is pure and he will always be good for her."
Stefan to Damon: "I guess he found something to live for."
Klaus to Damon: "Al I see is Stefan and Elena."
- Face-Heel Turn: Stefan turned into the Ripper (the darker side of himself) by sacrificing himself to Klaus in order to get the blood to cure Damon's werewolf bite. Stefan then went from being The Hero to the Anti-Hero.
- This happened because Klaus forced Stefan to become the Ripper by drinking tons of human blood bags.
- Fatal Attractor: Stefan seems to attract some women who are completely crazy and vengeful. Katherine and Rebekah anyone?
- Fatal Flaw: His addictive personality and inability to control his addiction and urges to/for human blood.
- The Fettered: When Stefan is his normal, human self, he is one of the most moral characters on the show. He lives by a strong set of morals, ideals, values and beliefs and always believes in doing the right thing as much as possible.
"We choose our own path. Our values and our actions, they define who we are." - Stefan to Vickie in 1x07
- Fire and Ice Love Triangle: Stefan and Damon fit this trope. Stefan is the Fire, who is warm, kind, compassionate, caring and loving and Damon is the Ice, who is uncaring, arrogant, cold, unsympathetic and impulsive.
- Foil: To Damon. Stefan's overall the "good brother" (The Hero) to Damon's "bad brother" (The Anti-Hero/ Villain). More specifically:
- Cain and Abel: Stefan is the Abel to Damon's Cain. Their relationship is built from this trope.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Stefan is the Responsible Sibling to Damon's Foolish Sibling. Stefan is more practical, serious and responsible, while Damon is more impulsive, irresponsible and careless.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: Stefan is the Noble Male to Damon's Roguish Male. While Stefan is more noble and diplomatic in how he approaches things, Damon is much more impulsive, reckless and more prone to violence.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Stefan is the Blue Oni (logical, calm, cool, composed) to Damon's Red Oni (impulsive, reckless, hot-headed, passionate).
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Stefan is the Sensitive Guy (kind, compassionate, empathetic, gentle) to Damon's Manly Man (aggressive, passionate, impulsive, strong).
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: Stefan is the Straight Man to Damon's Wise Guy. Stefan is more serious and stoic and Damon is more openly humorous, snarky and sarcastic.
- Sibling Rivalry: Stefan has had a sibling rivalry going back to their human years. It seemed to have heated up after Stefan and Damon met Katherine.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Stefan are polar opposites in terms of personality, outlook, values, goals and beliefs. Stefan and Damon are often referred to as the "good brother" and the "bad brother" respectively.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: He's not a "dangerous" vampire.
- Friends with Benefits: As of 4x11, with Rebekah. Stefan and Rebekah sleep together without any attachments or feelings involved.
- Genre Savvy: Stefan is one of the most aware characters, as he always seems to have an idea of what is going on around him.
- Good Is Not Nice: Especially as non-humanity!Stefan.
- Good Is Not Soft: Stefan is generally nice, polite and kind, but DO NOT get on his bad side. You will regret it.
- My Greatest Failure: Not saving Elena at the end of season three. Stefan ends up regretting it when Elena turns into a vampire.
- Green Eyes
- In the novels, Stefan's green eyes are heavily emphasized and mentioned.
- Guile Hero: Stefan is this but he is an Action Hero as well.
- Guilt Complex: Stefan suffers from a major case of this. He feels guilty for things that are his fault and for things that aren't his fault.
- Heel-Face Turn: Towards the end of season three.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Stefan is seen wearing leather jackets from time to time.
- The Hero: Elena is the main protagonist, but she's too much of The Chick and the Damsel in Distress while Stefan is more of the classic Action Hero, involved in all the heroic scenes.
- Classical Anti-Hero: Stefan fits this trope in season three after starting to recover from Ripperdom. Stefan's flaws, vulnerabilities and weaknesses are exposed and therefore, we as the audience discover that Stefan isn't the perfect Ideal Hero that he was in season one and two.
- Fallen Hero: Stefan used to fit the classical trope of Ideal Hero before he turned off his humanity and became a Ripper at the end of season two. Stefan became this tragic figure because he had made a Heroic Sacrifice. Stefan didn't start out as a villain, he became one because of a heroic deed. Another example of this is back in 1864, when Stefan was consumed with guilt for betraying Damon and accidentally killing his father, he shut off his humanity and gave into his vampirism. This was when the Ripper was born.
- Horrifying Hero: Stefan may be a hero, but he's also a vampire. Despite Stefan saving the day, he can make people run the other way.
- Humble Hero: Stefan saves lives and his heroic by nature, but he isn't cocky about his sense of heroism.
- Magnetic Hero: Stefan seems to have a magnetic quality that draws people to him; he has the ability to persuade people to hear his point of view and without the influence of mind compulsion.
- Pragmatic Hero: Stefan may be a hero who has strong morals and good intentions, but at the same time, he is willing to do morally questionable actions in order to achieve his goals.
- Sociopathic Hero: Ripper!Stefan is the embodiment of this trope. Stefan fit this trope in season 3 when Klaus compelled him to shut off his humanity, resulting in him having a zero empathy, humanity or compassion.
- Tragic Hero: Despite Stefan's heroism, his good intentions and his selflessness, Stefan hardly receives anything positive in return. Instead, Stefan ends up suffering the most despite his good deeds and good intentions. Case in point, Stefan is the embodiment of a walking tragedy.
- Hurting Hero: Oh boy, Stefan never catches a break.
- Hero Antagonist: Stefan fits this trope in season three as the Ripper. Although he was doing many morally questionable things, he was doing them for the greater good.
- Hero Insurance: Stefan could become the Ripper, shut of his humanity, kill tons of people and he will still be referred to as heroic as soon as he reverts back to heroic, noble, compassionate Stefan.
- Heroic Spirit: He has it.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Stefan suffers from this trope, which means that he feels the constant need to save others and if he doesn't end up saving people, he'll burden guilt.
- Heroic BSOD: This happened to Stefan when he discovered that Damon was dying of a fatal werewolf bite at the end of season two. Due to Stefan's desperation to save his brother, he became his worst enemy, the Ripper. This happened again at the end of season three, when he saved Matt instead of Elena and Elena died by drowning. Stefan was overwhelmed with shock and grief, adding to his guilt, causing him to emotionally crumble a little bit.
- Heroic Resolve: In 3x05, Stefan had appeared defeated and had succumbed to being Klaus' second in command. He had told Klaus that he didn't care about Elena anymore and that she meant nothing to him (which was a lie). However, when Klaus attacked Elena by attempting to kill her, Stefan became very enraged and attacked Klaus angrily.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Stefan committed this in season three, when Stefan sacrificed himself to Klaus in order to save Damon's life and protect the entire town of Mystic Falls from Klaus.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Despite saving and helping others and making sacrifices for other people, Stefan is incredibly guilt-ridden and self-loathing.
- Heroic Willpower: Stefan fights the dark side of him and his addiction to human blood in order to maintain his humanity and not hurt anyone.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Damon during his human life and with Klaus during the 20's.
- Hidden Depths: Stefan appears to be gentle, kind and compassionate, but he definitely has a tough and violent side when provoked.
- Also has serious blood addiction issues.
- Horror Hunger: Stefan suffers from a major case of this. He is addicted to human blood and goes crazy when he has to much of it.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: In the first season, many of Stefan's kills were vampires.
- I Can't Dance: Stefan just hates dancing because he doesn't think he's good at it. But in reality, he's not that bad.
- I Am a Monster: Stefan frequently thinks this about himself due to him being a vampire.
- Ice King: Especially as the ripper. He becomes completely devoid of feeling any emotion. As the ripper, he reverts to a cold, careless, sociopathic and unsympathetic person.
- I Did What I Had to Do: At the end of season two, Stefan sacrificed himself to the villain Klaus and became a Ripper in order to save his brother Damon from dying from a fatal werewolf bite.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: Towards Katherine. Katherine is Stefan's maker (as well as Damon's). Although Katherine is still in love with Stefan and plans on waiting for him forever, Stefan hates her and wants nothing to do with her.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: At the end of season three, Stefan failed to save Elena when he made the decision to save Matt over Elena from drowning because Elena had told Stefan to do so. Because of this, Elena died and became a vampire due to Stefan choosing to save Matt before Elena. This only contributed to Stefan's neverending guilt.
- I'm Not a Hero, I'm...: Stefan views himself as a monster, or a predator meant to hurt people. But on the contrary, Stefan is a heroic, selfless, brave yet tragic individual, that despite what and who he is (which is a vampire), makes endless heroic sacrifices to save, protect and help people, especially those he loves.
- Immortality: Stefan is a a vampire who is capable of living forever and never physically aging. Although he physically looks 17, he is actually 165 years old. He also cannot die under normal human circumstances.
- Interspecies Romance: Stefan is a century old immortal (vampire) and Elena is an eighteen year old mortal human. Now, this has changed since Elena has recently turned into a vampire and therefore is no longer human.
- I Just Want To Be Normal / Reluctant Hero: Stefan hates being a vampire and has mentioned that he misses being human again. Part of the reason why Stefan wants to be normal is because of his dark side (the Ripper) and also, his lack of control when it comes to human blood. Stefan told Rebekah in 4x04 that he desired to be human again; to have a family with Elena, grow old with Elena, die with Elena and be buried with Elena. That if he found the cure and had the opportunity to take it and become human, he would do it without question.
- It's All My Fault: Stefan constantly blames himself for every bad thing that happens. Stefan especially blames himself for Damon going bad, for Damon killing people and descending into villainhood.
- Stefan blames himself for Elena becoming a vampire, being sired and having her humanity shut off.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: Stefan fits this trope in regards to Elena. Stefan commits his entire immortal life into protecting and saving Elena and keeping her safe. Stefan sometimes distances himself from Elena in order to protect her due to the fact that he is a vampire with a dark past, and therefore, has much darkness, enemies and danger that follows him around.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Stefan will do anything and everything to make Elena happy, even if he has to give her up.
- I Was Quite a Fashion Victim: According to Damon, the 90's grunge look was not a good look on Stefan.
- Jerkass: Oh boy, as the Ripper definitely.
- Jerkass Façade: Stefan fit this trope in season three when he was the Ripper.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Two distinct sides of Stefan's personality: Hero!Stefan and Ripper!Stefan. Stefan has two distinct sides to his personality. One side of him is more dark, sinister and crazy (Hyde aka Rippah!Stefan) and the other side is more kind, heroic and gentle (Jekyll aka Hero!Stefan). Human blood is normally the trigger for the "Hyde" side of Stefan to come breaking through.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Stefan is heroic, saves the day, fights the bad guys, knows how to charm the ladies, has a strong sense of nobleness and honourability and is chivalrous towards the opposite sex. Stefan especially fits this trope in regards to Elena as he is always saving and protecting her.
- Kuudere: Stefan is Type I.
- Lack of Empathy: As the ripper. He shuts off his humanity completely.
- The Leader
- Stefan is a combination of Type I and Type II.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Stefan is this to both Elena AND Damon.
- Love Interest: Mainly to Elena. Stefan is Elena's main love interest of the series. Aside from Elena, Stefan has also been a love interest to Katherine and Rebekah.
- Love Triangle: Stefan is in a love triangle with Elena and Damon, with Stefan being in love with Elena, Elena being in love with Stefan, Damon being in love with Elena and Elena having feelings/attraction for Damon. Stefan was also in a similar love triangle back in 1864 with Katherine and Damon.
- Lovable Jock: Primarily in season one when Stefan was playing the position of wide receiver on the high school football team. He was the opposite of Tyler, who was a Jerk Jock.
- Love Martyr: With Damon, although not in a romantic sense. Despite Damon being an antagonistic and even intolerable individual to most people, Stefan still can't stop loving and caring about his brother and saving him repeatedly.
- Manipulative Bastard: As the ripper. Stefan is ultra cold, sociopathic, and cunning as the ripper. He has no regard for anyone else.
- Martyr Without a Cause: Out of all of the characters in the series, Stefan fits the role of martyr more than anyone, even Elena. He constantly offers himself up to be sacrificed in the place of others (i.e. offering himself as the vampire to be sacrificed instead of Elena's Aunt Jenna) or puts himself in the most dangerous situations in order to protect others from getting hurt or killed (i.e. offering himself up to Klaus in order to save Damon, protect Elena and the entire town of Mystic Falls).
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life: Especially in season 1, when Elena discovered that Stefan was a vampire.
- Meaningful Name: Stefan is named after the very first Christian martyr, St. Stephen. Stefan is the classic example of a martyr.
- Stefan means "Crown". Other meanings for Stefan include "Garland" and "Wreath".
- Stefan also means "Crowned with Martyrdom" or "Honour".
- Also, his last name Salvatore means Saviour in Italian. Very fitting for the hero of the show.
- Meet Cute: With Elena in the first episode. He unexpectedly meets her outside of the men's washroom.
- Messianic Archetype: Stefan is often portrayed as a highly good, selfless, altruistic, moral and noble character on the show, but especially in the novels.
- In the books, Stefan is named after the very first Christian martyr, St. Stephen.
- Stefan in the books is also a highly religious person and is a young man of faith (he practiced Catholicism).
- In the novels, Stefan's brother Damon mockingly refers to him as Noble Stefan or Saint Stefan.
- Missing Mom: Stefan's mother died when he was much younger.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: In the beginning.
- Monster Sob Story: In season three, as the Ripper. Although Stefan was monstrous, villainous and had shut off his humanity, the audience couldn't help but feel sorry for him and feel sympathetic towards him. He had his free will taken away from him, was forced to become the darkest part of himself (the Ripper), and also, he shut off his humanity so that the guilt and pain wouldn't hurt so much. Not to mention that he lost the love of his life Elena, simply because he gave away his freedom in order to save his dying brother. How can anyone not sympathize with that?
- Moral Dissonance: Stefan could be a Ripper, kill or harm people, yet pretty much all of the characters easily forgive him for it. However, if Damon kills someone or hurts others, many of the characters have a tendency to hold a grudge against him for a very long time. Take Caroline, Bonnie, Jeremy and even Elena at one point for example. All of them still view Damon in a very negative light and have yet to fully forgive him, yet Stefan was a Ripper, committing immoral acts for months and none of the characters really noticed. As soon as Stefan turned on his humanity and went back to being human!Stefan, everyone forgave him and accepted him back into the inner circle.
- Morality Pet: For Katherine. Katherine has always had a soft spot for Stefan. Stefan seems to bring out the humanity in Katherine; he brings out the much more human, softer side of her.
- As of Season 4, Elena. Deep down, Stefan will always have a special influence on Elena, even though Elena is currently sired to Damon. Also, Elena fights her vampirism and her thirst to kill primarily for Stefan.
- In the beginning of Season 2, for Caroline. After Caroline was turned into a vampire, Caroline learned to not turn off her humanity and learned to stay human because of Stefan's influence. Caroline retained her compassion because of Stefan's help.
- Also for Klaus. Klaus has a soft spot for Stefan and his friendship/brotherhood. Because of Klaus' desire to have Stefan's friendship, Klaus often becomes a much softer person. Caroline also does this for Klaus as well. Both Stefan and Caroline bring out the much more human side of Klaus.
- Also, Damon. Stefan is the one person out of any character on the show, who has a tendency to keep Damon's recklessness and impulsiveness in check. Not even Elena is successful at it.
- For Rebekah. Rebekah is still in love with Stefan. She becomes a much softer person when she is around him or in his presence.
- Mr. Fanservice: Stefan has had multiple shirtless scenes, showcasing his buff, muscular body, especially his abs. This is a real treat for the female viewing audience.
- My Greatest Failure: Stefan suffers from this due to not saving Elena from drowning at the end of season three and instead, saving Matt. Stefan's action of saving Matt instead of Elena because Elena told him to, resulted in Elena's death and her transformation into a vampire. This action most likely haunts Stefan and adds to his guilty conscience.
- Mysterious Protector: After Elena and her family got into a car accident at Wickery Bridge, Stefan had heard the accident and saved Elena's life. After saving Elena, Stefan fled the scene and watched her from afar for four months to look out for her and make sure she was safe. At first, Stefan watched Elena to make sure she wasn't Katherine.
- Narrator: Stefan is the story-teller of the series. He is the one narrating and telling the story of The Vampire Diaries and all of the events that occurred or have lead up to the events of the present.
- New Transfer Student: In Season 1 in the Pilot, Stefan compelled the secretary to enrol him in Mystic Falls High, so that he could pose as a new high school student in attempts to get to know Elena.
- Nice Guy: Stefan is generally nice, kind, compassionate, caring and empathetic person by nature. But when he is the Rippah, it's a totally different story. More like a totally different person.
- Non-human Lover Reveal: Elena unexpectedly meets Stefan and feels an instant connection with him in season one. However, Stefan is hiding a deep, dark secret: he is a century old vampire. As Stefan and Elena fall harder for each other, Elena eventually discovers that Stefan is a vampire.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Though Stefan could have lost it from his travels. Still doesn't explain his lack of accent in 1864
- Not Himself: Whenever Stefan reverts back to blood-addicted, non-humanity Ripper-mode. Most notably season three.
- Also in season one when he was having serious issues with his blood addiction issues.
- Official Couple: Stefan is in this type of relationship with Elena, which implies that Stefan and Elena are the main, canon romantic pairing of the series (usually, the series revolve around this particular couple).
- Papa Wolf: Stefan's overly protective towards anyone he deeply cares about, especially Elena, Damon, Jeremy, Bonnie and Caroline.
- Parental Abandonment: Stefan's mother died when he was a young child.
- Parental Favoritism: Stefan was strongly favoured over Damon by his parents, especially his father Giuseppe. Giuseppe saw Stefan as a responsible and dutiful son.
- Perpetual Frowner: Lampshaded by both Damon and Caroline. Stefan is very broody, therefore, he doesn't always smile all that much. Though he is able to smile on occasion.
- Platonic Life Partners: Stefan had this sort of relationship with Lexi. Lexi was the one who taught Stefan how to keep a hold of his humanity when he had lost control of his blood lust after he was first turned. Ever since then, Lexi had been his best friend throughout his immortal life.
- Now that Lexi is deceased, Caroline is becoming Lexi 2.0 for Stefan.
- Power Of Love: Due to his deep love for Elena, Stefan was able to fight Klaus' compulsion THREE TIMES, just so that he doesn't hurt Elena.
- Pro-Human Transhuman: Stefan had been turned into a vampire in 1864. Despite what he is, he has done everything he could to maintain a part of humanity, especially by fighting his blood lust and succumbing to the darker side of himself (the Ripper).
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: Since Stefan is the narrator of the story, his feelings, thoughts and priorities will often dictate the course of the plot. However Stefan views each character whom he is telling about, they will be viewed by the audience in the same way.
- Protagonist Journey to Villain: Originally at the beginning of the series, Stefan starts off as an Ideal Hero with good intentions. However, in season three, Stefan loses his morals and descends into villain hood when he becomes the Ripper. Therefore, Stefan later on in the series, becomes the complete opposite of who he was at the start of the series. Because of this, Stefan falls into the category of Tragic Hero.
- Protectorate: Of the town of Mystic Falls and everyone who lives in it.
- Redemption Quest: After Stefan fell into darkness in season three, he started to regain his humanity and heroic side again towards the middle of season 3. Stefan turning on his humanity again was a way that Stefan was seeking redemption for him succumbing to his dark side.
- Reincarnation Romance: Stefan and Elena share this type of romance. This is due to the fact that Stefan and Elena are soulmates and therefore, have shared "past lives" together. This trope is based of of Stefan/Elena's relationship in the novel series; they are bound together by a silver cord.
- Rejection Affection: Katherine is deeply in love with Stefan who makes it clear he wants nothing to do with her. That doesn't stop Katherine from insisting she will have him again.
- Reluctant Warrior: He's an Actual Pacifist and he doesn't enjoy fighting but if he has to, he will.
- Rescue Romance: Stefan saves Elena from the car accident which kills her parents months before fatefully meeting her and falling in love with her.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After Katherine was seemingly killed, he attacked and killed several of the original founders of Mystic Falls
- Romantic Vampire Boy: He's a vampire in a romantic relationship with the main heroine Elena.
- Rounded Character: Stefan seems to be one of the characters that is well-written with a solid back story and insight into his past.
- Samaritan Syndrome: Stefan always has the constant need to help others, especially those in need.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Subverted with Stefan and Caroline with Stefan as the Savvy Guy to Caroline's Energetic Girl. Stefan and Caroline aren't romantically involved, but fit this dynamic as besties.
- Second Love: Stefan is this to Elena. This is because Elena's first love is Matt Donovan.
- Secret Identity: Stefan keeps his identity as a vampire a secret from the general public (especially during the first season).
- Shadow Archetype: Stefan has a shadow or alter ego of himself that he absolutely hates: the Ripper. This side of him represents everything that Stefan is the opposite of in term of his inner 'Self'. See Enemy Within and Jekyll & Hyde.
- Shirtless Scene: Stefan gets plenty of these. Nobody is complaining, seriously.
- Sibling Team: With Damon frequently. They join forces, generally when Elena's life is at stake or when it's in Damon's interests.
- Sibling Triangle: Stefan is in a love triangle with Elena and his brother, Damon.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Damon. In terms of personality, he and Damon couldn't be more polar opposites.
- The Smart Guy: Stefan is known to be highly intelligent and book smart. He was an aspiring doctor before he was turned into a vampire against his will. He worked a few lucrative jobs but had to leave when it became apparent he wasn't aging.
- Not to mention he attended ivy league schools all over the country, such as Harvard, for example.
- The Snark Knight: As the Ripper, Stefan is extremely sarcastic and snarky. Nobody can out snark him, not even Damon.
- Spiky Hair: Stefan's hair is always gelled and spiked a certain way. Damon referred to Stefan's spiked hair as a 'hero hairdo'.
- The Spock: Stefan is this of the main trio between himself (The Spock, Superego), Elena (The Kirk, Ego) and Damon (The McCoy, Id). Stefan is intelligent, serious, stoic, practical, and reasonable. He is the one who thinks before he acts and is the logical voice of the trio.
- Stalking Is Love: Followed Elena around for months and dug up all kinds of information on her before introducing himself. Though he did have a reason for doing this other than creepiness. He wanted to make sure Elena wasn't Katherine
- The Stoic: Very much so, and lampshaded in 2.03 Bad Moon Rising
Caroline: Why are you looking at him with your serious vampire look?
Stefan: My wha… my serious vampire look?
Caroline: Umhm… I mean it’s different from your worried vampire look. Neither of which stray too far from your "Hey, it’s Tuesday" look.
- Stoic Woobie: Stefan goes through a lot of pain yet he masks it with a stoic and calm facade and demeanour.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Stefan is in this type of relationship with Elena. This is due to the fact that like Romeo and Juliet, Stefan and Elena over the course of the series suffer and continue to suffer from many issues, obstacles and struggles (mostly external, but also internal or personal) that try to keep the two apart. But despite the odds, they often overcome the struggles and come back together, often stronger than before. Stefan and Elena also fit this trope due to Stefan and Elena being two different species (Stefan, a vampire and Elena, a human) and the struggle that comes along with being an interspecies couple. Stefan/Elena also have faced many issues and obstacles over the course of the series that have tried to tear them apart and keep the two from being together. However, as evidence from the series so far, Stefan and Elena somehow manage to overcome the tough struggles that they face and find their way back together.
- Straight Man: Especially in his comedic scenes with Damon.
- The Strategist: Stefan is one of the most strategic and calculating people on the show.
- Superpower Lottery: Stefan is a vampire, therefore, he possesses superhuman abilities.
- Super Speed: Stefan can move and run much faster than that of a normal human.
- Super Reflexes: Also known as super agility. Stefan can react much faster and quicker to situations than that of a normal human.
- Super Strength: Stefan is able to carry or lift heavier objects with much ease and little effort.
- Mind Manipulation: Stefan is able to control the mind of any human, influencing their thoughts and their actions in the process. The only way to prevent Stefan from mind influencing someone is for the human victim to have vervain on them.
- Healing Factor: Stefan can get stabbed, shot or wounded and he will heal immediately.
- Super Senses: All of Stefan's senses, such as sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing have become clearer, stronger and heightened. He is able to see, smell and hear things from a greater distance than that of a normal human.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Stefan has two distinct and very different sides to him due to his vampire nature. When Stefan takes in a huge amount of blood, he shuts off his emotions and become crazy, violent, cold, careless, and impulsive. When he feeds, he feeds so violently, that he ends up literally ripping the heads off of his victims, although afterwards he feels guilt and remorse and puts the heads back onto the bodies of his victims. When Stefan is not hyped up on excessive amounts of human blood, he is sensitive, loving, kind, compassionate, caring, empathetic, selfless, and helpful.
- Suicide By Sunlight: Stefan attempted this in 1x20 "Blood Brothers", but Elena stopped him.
- Superman: Damon referred to Stefan as this a couple of times. Damon uses this to mock Stefan's noble, heroic qualities.
"So, what's the plan, Superman?"'' - Damon to Stefan in 2x22
- Supporting Leader: Stefan can be seen as the supporting leader to Elena. Although, more often than not, Stefan is normally the one that takes the lead in all of the missions, plans. He is involved right in the middle of the action more so than Elena. What would classify Stefan being the supporting leader is the fact that Elena is the lead character and Stefan is the deuteragonist.
- Supporting Protagonist: Elena is the main protagonist of the series while Stefan is the second protagonist. The story generally centres around Stefan and Elena.
- Sympathetic Murder Backstory: In the beginning, Stefan comes off as kind, caring and humane. However, he harbours a deep dark secret....he used to be a Ripper that killed people. Stefan expresses extreme guilt and remorse for his actions as the Ripper. Stefan often gains sympathy from the viewer, because when he killed people, he had given into his blood lust and had shut off his humanity. Therefore, Stefan really had no control over what he was doing and was sort of unaware of his actions.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: He's very tall and one of the most handsome guys on the series.
- Terror Hero: Stefan particularly fit this trope in Season 3. In 3x11, Stefan played on Klaus' fear of turning Elena into a vampire by feeding her his blood, so that Klaus would be unable to make any more hybrids. At the same time, Stefan was also committing a heroic act by trying to play on Klaus' fears and getting him to get his hybrids out of Mystic Falls.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: When Stefan has his humanity in check, Stefan believes that killing shouldn't be the first option to everything.
- Token Evil Teammate: in season three, after his Face-Heel Turn.
- Took a Level in Badass: In season 3, as the anti-hero and as the Ripper.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Oh boy, also combined with Lack of Empathy due to Klaus compelling him to shut off his humanity.
- Tragic Villain / Tragic Monster: In season three as the Ripper.
- Tranquil Fury: When Stefan gets angry, he's still rather calm and stoic, especially in comparison to Damon, who often lashes out.
- Trauma Conga Line: Stefan has been through so many issues that it appears to be endless. And Stefan never seems to catch a break either.
- Troubled, but Cute: With his background as a vampire and Dark and Troubled Past.
- True Companions: With Damon, especially during their human lives.
- The Unfettered: Stefan fits this trope when he is the Ripper. As the Ripper, Stefan loses his humanity and therefore, when he sets a goal or has an agenda, he doesn't care who it hurts and he doesn't think about the detrimental consequences of his actions.
- Unwanted Harem: Stefan has got all of these different female characters who are in love with him or fell under his charm: Caroline, Katherine and Rebekah. Too bad that he doesn't reciprocate any of their feelings and has his eyes set on only one girl: Elena. Because of this, Stefan could come off as a jerk to the fandom when he rejects them.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Katherine. Stefan and Katherine haven't gotten their desire to have hate sex out of their systems yet.
- Vegetarian Vampire: Stefan chooses and prefers to live off the blood of animals instead of humans. Although, Stefan has recently been drinking human blood since season two, in attempts to curb his blood addiction and control himself on it.
- Viral Transformation: Stefan became a vampire in 1864 after Katherine fed Stefan her vampire blood and died after he was shot in the chest.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Damon. Type 2. Stefan may be angry with or wary of his brother most of the time, but he'll allow no one else to touch him as Mason Lockwood found out.
- Walking Disaster Area: Doom and gloom seem to follow Stefan around wherever he goes.
- Warm Bloodbags Are Everywhere: Stefan is noted as having a problem with blood addiction. His use of animal blood, while most non-homicidal vampires steal from blood banks, is because he's afraid of relapse. Later on he starts to carefully start drinking human blood again, as using only animal blood makes him weaker. In the season 2 finale Klaus makes him drink bag after bag of human blood, until his addiction resurfaces and he turns into a "Ripper", an extremely not Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire.
- Weak, but Skilled: While Stefan was weaker in strength due to his animal blood diet, Stefan was still rather skilled and capable of defending himself whenever necessary.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy
- What the Hell, Hero?: An example of this is in 3x11, when Stefan threatened Klaus by using Elena. Stefan told Klaus that if Klaus didn't get his hybrids to leave Mystic Falls, he would turn Elena into a vampire and drive her off of Wickery Bridge so that Klaus wouldn't make anymore Hybrids. Turns out that it wasn't Stefan's intention to do any such thing (turn Elena into a vampire), but that he did this so that Klaus bought Elena's fear so that Klaus would get his hybrids out of town. Eventually, Klaus succumbed to Stefan's threats and Klaus got his hybrids to leave town. Elena was extremely traumatized and shocked that Stefan would commit such a horrible act. The audience was also completely shocked by Stefan's actions, appalled that Stefan would really go that far and act so ruthlessly.
- When He Smiles: Stefan doesn't smile much but when he does, it's highly beautiful and infectious.
- Working with the Ex: Recently, Stefan offered to be partners with Rebekah and work with her on the quest to find the cure. This is sure to rekindle some old feelings between the two of them.
- Worth Living For: For Elena.
- Youngest Child Wins: Stefan has always been strongly favoured over Damon by almost everyone.
"It's cool not growing old. I like being the eternal stud."
Damon is Stefan's malevolent, dangerous and impulsive older brother. He is the anti-hero and the antagonist (especially in season one) of the series. He is most certainly not
a Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire
. He long ago swore to make Stefan's life "an eternity of misery". At first, he kills a lot of people in Mystic Falls, but later moderates his behaviour for a number of reasons - though he remains dangerous. When he wants to, Damon can be charming and hilarious... but also cruel and capricious, and capable of killing on a whim. For the first season, Damon was the series' Antagonist, but has reverted his status to help Stefan and protect Elena.
- Always Second Best: Damon always feels this way when it comes to Stefan. Growing up, Stefan was the favourite son and was well respected by the town of Mystic Falls. Plus, Stefan got a lot of female attention, especially the girls whom Damon was in love with, including Katherine and Elena. The favouritism towards Stefan since humanhood has made Damon always feel like he was incompetent and second best, living in the shadows of Stefan.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Played straight and subverted. Damon, being The Casanova, is extremely popular with girls (both in-universe and out) but the girls he really falls in love with (Katherine and Elena) prefer his nice brother Stefan over him.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Damon is the epitome of this trope. He loves Elena, she doesn't love him back. He loves Katherine, who also doesn't love him back, but instead loves Stefan. Who is in love with Elena.
- Aloof Big Brother: Damon is technically stronger than Stefan, but he isn't as warm and compassionate as Stefan. In fact, he's rather emotionless, sinister, cold and doesn't show his true feelings all that much.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: To Elena at the Originals' Ball. However, Elena tells Damon that the fact that he loves her is a problem for her. Ouch.
- Anything That Moves: Damon is willing to screw every single chick that he encounters. Hell, he has slept with almost every single female character that has occurred on the show with the exception of Bonnie: Caroline, Rose, Rebekah, Andie, Bree, and most recently Elena; the list goes. Damon will sleep with almost anyone; this includes mothers (like Isobel, Elena's mother), and even great-great-great-great grandmothers (like Katherine, Elena's ancestor). Let's not forget that Caroline and Elena have both slept with Damon and they are friends. Awkward.
- Arson, Murder, and Lifesaving: Damon causes chaos and trouble while he's fighting the bad guys. He just can't help himself.
- Badass Boast: Damon often brags that he can kick anyone's ass whenever he wants.
- Being Good Sucks: According to him. This is why Damon doesn't bother following the rules and thinking about the concept of morality.
- Berserk Button: If you hurt either Stefan or Elena, watch Damon's bad side come out.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Stefan's Betty for Elena's Archie.
- Big Brother Instinct: He may enjoy screwing with Stefan, but he's the only one allowed to do so, as the tomb vampires painfully learn.
- Black Sheep: Of his family. See The Unfavorite.
- Blue and Orange Morality: At times he genuinely doesn't seem to comprehend that Elena might be upset because he murdered someone she didn't even know. Even when he attempts to kill Jeremy, he seems to class it as bad because it made Elena upset, not because he thought it was morally wrong.
- By season 4 it's pretty clear that it's because he has the mindset of a vampire. A vampire is a predator, so really stuff that's considered morally questionable like drinking blood and snapping necks is part of nature, and Damon feels that you need to embrace it and get enjoyment out of it or you will never adapt. It's what he preaches in trying to help Elena transition..
- Boisterous Bruiser: Damon is extroverted, fun-loving, careless and doesn't take anything seriously.
- Bromantic Foil: To Stefan of course. Damon is portrayed as a rival for the male lead, Stefan.
- Brutal Honesty: Oh boy, to a fault. Damon's bluntness often gets him into a lot of trouble.
- Byronic Hero: Let's see, Damon hates most of the characters in the show, has great panache, is very cynical, certainly has a Dark and Troubled Past, is sometimes redeemable by Elena and is a vampire.
- The Casanova: Especially when doing his 'flirty eye thing'. He's had romantic envolvment with Katherine, Caroline, Rose, Mary, Charlotte, Elena - just to name a few!
- Character Development: Though he'll beat the shit out of you for pointing it out, Damon seems way better now rather than the ruthless villain he was in the beginning.
- Cock Fight: With Stefan over the affections of Katherine and Elena.
- Control Freak: Damon has a very controlling nature towards everyone he encounters, especially Elena.
- The Cynic: Damon is definitely a cynical person by nature.
- Deadpan Snarker: Damon tends to be extremely snarky and sarcastic.
- Depending on the Writer: Is Damon a guy who's had a really tough life and just happens to be humanity's natural predator, does he only present a soft side to manipulate people, or are vampires so unlike humans that it's impossible to determine his motivations? It can vary from episode to episode.
- Destructive Romance: With Elena and Katherine.
- Evil Is Petty: You know, Damon, Your "evil monster" persona would be a lot more threatening if You didn't throw a temper tantrum when someone doesn't do exactly what You want.
- Fatal Flaw: Damon has many flaws. These include his impulsiveness, his selfishness, his carelessness, his lack of morality, and his pride.
- Sibling Rivalry: Stefan and Damon had a rivalry before they met Katherine or Elena. Katherine and Elena only helped to intensify it.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: He is the polar opposite of Stefan in terms of personality, outlook, values, morality and beliefs.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: The Wise Guy to Stefan's Straight Man.
- Fool for Love: First for Katherine, and now, for Elena.
- Forgot About His Powers: His abilities to extent his influence and senses via a tame raven and making a fog appear to confuse his victims, seems to have been written completely out of the show. While Damon himself kills the raven out of a desperate need of blood, the fog thing is just sort of forgotten, and is never brought up again.
- The Friend Nobody Likes
- For the Evulz: The motivation for most of his actions (in season 1 especially) though it is just a facade.
- Fully-Embraced Fiend: Unlike his brother, Stefan, who hates being a vampire, Damon embraces being a vampire and feeding on innocent humans. Feasting on humans is like a party or celebration for Damon.
- Handsome Devil: Damon embodies this trope, being a jerk most of the time but also so good-looking that you just can't hate him.
- Heartbroken Badass: Damon repeatedly gets heartbroken. First, Katherine tells him that she never really loved him; that she had always loved Stefan, despite the fact that Damon spent over a century waiting for Katherine to come back to him. And then Elena tells Damon that it would always be Stefan that she loves, despite the fact that she does care about Damon. Let's just say that when it comes to love and romance, Damon does not have much luck at all.
- Heel-Face Turn: Originally the Antagonist and the Token Evil Teammate, but now he has reverted his status to help Stefan and protect Elena.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Though every time they start him on a redemptive arc, he turns around and does something evil when he doesn't get his way.
- But by late season three and definitely by season four, he is definitely Face.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Damon is always seen sporting a black leather jacket. It is practically his trademark.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Becomes this with Alaric.
- Hopeless Suitor: Damon doesn't have that much luck with romance and women in the way that Stefan does.
- Hot-Blooded: Extremely impulsive, hot-tempered and never thinks about consequences.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: Both subverted and played straight, due to the vampire conversion process being... somewhat complex. Damon loves Katherine dearly, but hates Stefan; he had chosen to die instead of completing the conversion, but Stefan talked him out of it, thus creating the monster we know today. It's only been touched on briefly, but all signs are that Damon deeply resents the whole affair.
- Now that Katherine's back and proclaiming that Damon was only a byproduct of her obsession with Stefan, played pretty much entirely straight.
- Ice King / Defrosting Ice King: Damon is cold, arrogant and sociopathic. However, as the series progressed, he became much more tame in his unkindness.
- Icy Blue Eyes: They give him a very piercing stare.
- Immortality: Damon is a vampire, he is capable of living forever without physically aging. Although he physically looks 24, he is actually 171 years old. He cannot die under normal circumstances.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: To Elena when he tells her he loves her, then compels her to forget it so it won't ruin her relationship with his little brother.
- Jerkass: Most of the time. He's capable of showing affection and caring though.
- Jerkass Façade / Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Damon is an ass, but he displays his softer side to Elena Stefan, Rose, Alaric, and Jeremy, though.
Damon: When people see good, they expect good. And I don't want to have to live up to anyone's expectations.
- Joker Immunity
- Kick the Dog: Listing all of the examples would take up too much time so lets just limit this to his horrible treatment of Jeremy which includes threatening him and taunting him after snapping his neck and his abuse of Caroline whom he turned into a slave and treated like dirt for fun. He never even pretends to be remorseful about either.
- Ladykiller in Love: After Katherine, he became The Casanova . . . until he met Elena, that is.
- The Lancer: Damon is this to Stefan's Hero.
- Lovable Rogue: He breaks the law and costumes all the time but he is charming enough for the audience to root for him.
- Love Hurts: For Katherine and then for Elena.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Damon has acted psychotically over both Katherine and Elena.
- Love Makes You Evil: His love for Katherine.
- Love Redeems: ... And his love for Elena.
- Mayfly-December Romance: Katherine was 400 years older than him, and he's a century and a half older than Elena.
- The McCoy: Damon is this of the main trio between himself (The McCoy, Id), Stefan (The Spock, Superego) and Elena (The Kirk, Ego). Damon is the overly emotional one of the trio. He is more impulsive, hot-headed, dangerous, selfish and reckless.
- Moral Myopia: He can do whatever he wants to anyone with no conscience. But even the slighest offence committed against him is treated as unforgiveable.
- Mr. Fanservice: Enjoys wearing low neck shirts and walking around shirtless.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: A bad case. The number of their current, potential, and former allies that Damon has killed or tried to kill for very little reason is quite staggering, and greatly exceeds the number of definite enemies he's killed. So far he has killed more people than anyone in the show, even the villains.
- The Nicknamer: Damon often comes up with nicknames for many of the characters. Examples include his nicknames for Caroline (Blondie, Vampire Barbie), Rebekah (Barbie Klaus), Elena (Buffy, Warior Princess, Scaredy Cat, etc), Stefan (Shady Stefan, Saint Stefan, Stefan the Hero, etc), Bonnie (Witchy, Judgy), Vanessa (Hottie), Matt (Busboy, Quarterback), Professor Shane (Professor Creepy) etc.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Damon loves to unnerve people by getting in their face.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Damon always has the best humorous quotes and provides several funny moments even in a show like this.
- Poisonous Friend: To almost anyone he considers his friend, but especially to Elena. Has outright stated that he will do whatever it takes to protect her, and that she's allowed to hate him for it.
- Psychopathic Manchild: He is cunning, clever, charismatic and badass as well as self-obsessed, irresponsible, petty, and cruel.
- Rebellious Spirit: Damon prefers to live by his own rules.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Twice, towards Katherine and Elena, both times to Stefan. Though as of season four's 'We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes', Elena is debatable, due to her ending things with Stefan because of her feelings for Damon
- Romantic Vampire Boy
- Sad Clown: Often uses sarcasm and humour to cover up his inner pain and sorrow.
- Sibling Team: With Stefan, usually to save Elena.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: Towards Stefan.
- Smug Smiler: Quite often.
- Sociopathic Hero: When the mood strikes him.
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Elena.
- Superpower Lottery: Damon is a vampire, therefore, he possesses superhuman abilities.
- Super Speed: Damon can move and run much faster than that of a normal human.
- Super Reflexes: Also known as super agility. Damon can react much faster and quicker to situations than that of a normal human.
- Super Strength: Damon is able to carry or lift heavier objects with much ease and little effort.
- Mind Manipulation: Damon is able to control the mind of any human, influencing their thoughts and their actions in the process. The only way to prevent Damon from mind influencing someone is for the human victim to have vervain on them.
- Healing Factor: Damon can get stabbed, shot or wounded and he will heal immediately.
- Super Senses: All of Damon's senses, such as sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing have become clearer, stronger and heightened. He is able to see, smell and hear things from a greater distance than that of a normal human.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Like Stefan, he's dark-haired and he's one of the handsome guys of the series.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Oh so so much.
- Token Evil Teammate: Especially in season 1.
- Troubled Abuser: Damon is known to be abusive towards people in general. This could be because during Damon's human years, when Damon was younger, he was physically and emotionally abused by his father Giuseppe.
- Troubled, but Cute: While Stefan, Jeremy and Tyler qualify as well, Damon is easily the best example of this trope.
- The Unfavourite: His father favored Stefan.
Giuseppe Salvatore: All I have from you is dissapointment.
- The Unfettered: Damon lacks a guilty conscience and most definitely lacks morals. He doesn't care if he hurts others, as long as he gets what he wants.
- Viral Transformation: Damon became a vampire by drinking Katherine's blood and dying after being shot in the chest.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With both Alaric Saltzman and his brother, Stefan. Although Damon has tense relationships with both Alaric and Stefan, he still considers both of them to be his only companions. Both of his relationships with Stefan and Alaric are Type 2.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Especially in Season Three.
"You saw what I was able to do tonight. I know who I am now. If Damon spills one drop of human blood, I'll take him down."
Bonnie is Elena's best friend
, who is a bubbly, optimistic, carefree, spirited girl. Although her best friend is Elena, she is also very close friends with Caroline. Bonnie begins the series haunted by strange visions. She soon discovers that she is a witch, like her grandmother before her, but finds herself torn between her loyalty to Elena and her desire to protect the town of Mystic Falls from the vampires.
- Action Girl: Bonnie is actually the first of the female good characters to Take a Level In Badass and become a real Action Girl.
- Adaptation Dye-Job / Race Lift: Bonnie was originally a redhead of Scottish descent in the novel series.
- Alliterative Name: Her first and last name begin with the same letter: B.
- Badass: As of late season one, she can bring on a really nasty migraine in 160 year-old vampires with just a squinty, mean look. Throw in telekinesis and the ability to set fire to water with just her mind and she has the edge on most of the supernatural beings on the show except Katherine thus far. May become an example of Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards as the show progresses.
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie to Jeremy's Betty and Luka's Veronica in season two, the Archie to Jeremy's Betty and Jamie's Veronica, and the Betty to Anna's Veronica for Jeremy's Archie.
- Black Best Friend: She's Elena's best friend and she's black.
- But Not Too Black: Katerina Graham is only slightly darker than Caucasian Nina Dobrev, with green eyes and predominantly Caucasoid facial features.
- Blessed with Suck: In Season 1. She's a witch, but apart from mind-whammying Damon, using any of her other powers mainly seem to cause her to loose consciousness. Either that or they don't work.
- Brainy Brunette: Bonnie is smart, intelligent and practical. She is the brains of the trio between herself, Elena and Caroline.
- Broken Bird: Bonnie fit this trope after Bonnie's Grams died in season one. She became more cynical, distant, and withdrawn, even pushing Elena and all of her friends away.
- Butt Monkey: Not as much as Caroline or Jeremy but she's getting there. She's definitely had her more than her fair share of emotional traumas.
- Celibate Heroine: Bonnie is still a virgin.
- Cursed with Awesome: Bonnie is a witch with extraordinary powers and abilities, although initially, she is overwhelmed by her powers and doesn't want anything to do with witchcraft or being a witch.
- Cute Witch
- Hot Witch: She definitely qualifies as being a very attractive teenager.
- Determinator: Bonnie is the most determined character on the show. When she sets herself a goal, she will never give up. She displays this determined behaviour in regards to her friends and family and she will do everything in order to keep them safe, even if she puts her life in danger.
- Ethnic Magician: Bonnie is a witch of non-European descent.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl: She's a witch with extraordinary magical powers. However, just because she's physically powerful doesn't mean that she isn't emotionally vulnerable. She is a normal teenager after all.
- Flirty Stepsiblings: Bonnie had a romance with her step or adopted brother, Jamie in season three.
- Foil: Bonnie is this to Elena, the heroine. Bonnie is seen as a sidekick to Elena.
- Girl Next Door: Similarly to her best friend Elena.
- Go-Getter Girl: Bonnie is the epitome of a multi-tasker. She goes to school as a high school student, but also takes care of the problems of everyone else and also, she protects the town of Mystic Falls.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: She's best friends with Elena and Caroline.
- Hypocrite: Gets mad at Caroline for being a vampire, when she is pretty much the sole reason Caroline is a vampire. She A: refused to dispel the device which caused the accident, B: Urged Damon to give her his blood to heal her, and C. Told Katherine about said deed. She also gets upset at Caroline for killing someone when when not dispelling the device killed Mayor Lockwood.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick/Sidekick Ex Machina: To everyone. Bonnie is always there to help whenever her friends need her.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: At first, but eventually learns to enjoy her powers and the good she can do with them.
- Love Triangle: In season two, between her, Luka and Jeremy.
- Love Interest: To Jeremy in season two and three, to Jamie in season three, and possibly to Professor Atticus Shane in season four.
- Magical Negro: Especially to some parts of the fandom that support Bonnie.
- Mind Manipulation: Happens to her in season four. First, she's manipulated into practicing an extremely dark and dangerous form of magic by Professor Shane. Then, he hypnotizes her so that when she loses control of her powers, he's the only one who can get her under control. And as of 4x15, she's now unknowingly being manipulated by Silas, who appears to her as Professor Shane, into 'lifting the veil between this side and the other side,' i.e resurrecting every single supernatural creature that has ever died. And while this list includes her grandmother, Jeremy, Alaric, Vicki, Lexi, Rose etc it also includes Mason, Finn, Kol, Esther, Mikael...
- Nice Girl: She's extremely loyal, selfless and known for having many heroic tendencies, namely, being repeatedly ready to sacrifice herself for her friends.
- Out of Focus: In season 4.
- Plucky Girl: Bonnie is highly determined and brave, even through all of the tragedy and issues that she has faced.
- Pragmatic Heroine: Although Bonnie has good and moral intentions, she will do some morally questionable things for the greater good. An example of this is in season three, when Bonnie preserved Klaus in Tyler's body in order to keep all of her vampire friends and family from dying.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Bonnie often suffers from nosebleeds when she over exerts herself during spells and magic.
- The Reliable One: See The Smart Girl and Hypercompetent Sidekick.
- Sassy Black Woman: She's strong, outspoken and defends her opinion fiercely.
- The Smart Girl: Bonnie is always resourceful, uses her magical powers to help everyone and generally serves as the Hypercompetent Sidekick.
- Spirited Young Lady: Bonnie is highly active, motivated and spirited by life in general and she doesn't let anything bring her down.
- The Spock: Bonnie is this within the trio of herself (The Spock, Superego), Elena (The Kirk, Ego) and Caroline (The McCoy, Id). Bonnie is practical, reasonable, smart, and logical. She is the brains of the trio.
- Supporting Leader: Especially in season two.
- Token Minority: The only black character.
- Tomboy: Although very feminine, Bonnie displays some tomboyish qualities and seems to gravitate towards associating with men than other women.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Caroline's Girly Girl.
- True Companions: With Elena and Caroline.
Steven R. McQueen
"Why does everyone keep dying on me?"
Elena's little brother took their parents' death poorly, falling into self-destruction and drug abuse. He also fell in love with the troubled and older Girl Next Door
, Vicki Donovan. But he's far from stupid, and Elena's desperate attempts to protect him from the vampires only serve to make him suspicious and start to distrust her.
"So you're saying now I'm an insecure, neurotic control freak... on crack?"
Caroline is Elena and Bonnie's ''other'' friend
(and uncomfortably aware of this). She is a young, bubbly, spunky, shallow human turned vampire. Caroline is a similarly rich and privileged young woman. She is a descendant of the founding families through her mother, Sheriff Liz Forbes, but the importance of her mother's job means that Caroline often feels neglected, leading to a troubled relationship between the two of them. Desperately insecure and somewhat resentful of existing in Elena's shadow, things get even worse for Caroline when the attractive older man who catches her eye turns out to be Damon Salvatore, who uses her as a minion/sex-toy/blood-bank. After she is freed from his control, she starts dating Elena's ex, Matt - which isn't especially good for her inferiority complex. Caroline eventually falls in love with Tyler Lockwood and the two develop a romantic relationship. However, although Caroline loves Tyler, she does display an attraction towards, Klaus Mikaelson, an Original hybrid. Caroline is also very close with Stefan and she is often seen as Lexi 2.0 for Stefan. In the second season, she is turned into a vampire by Katherine, and actually manages to settle from comfortably into this life despite the difficulties.
- Action Girl: After she turned into a vampire.
- Action Survivor: Before she was turned into a vampire.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the novel series, Caroline has auburn red hair but on the show, Caroline is blonde.
- Adorkable: She's sensitive, talkative and has a really bad habit of saying the wrong thing.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: With Damon, Tyler and Klaus.
- Always Someone Better: Felt this way about Elena in season one.
- Amicable Exes: She and Matt are stil on good terms.
- Anchored Ship: With both Matt and Tyler throughout the seasons.
- Back from the Dead: Katherine kills her, but since she still had Damon's blood in her system, she turns into a vampire.
- Beast and Beauty: Caroline is the Beauty to Klaus' Beast.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Caroline is the Brawn to Elena's Beauty and Bonnie's Brains.
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie to Matt's Betty and Tyler's Veronica. Also, the Archie to Tyler's Betty and Klaus' Veronica.
- The Big Girl: a non-traditional example. Caroline is constantly having her strength played up, she is constantly out-muscling other characters, lifting them out of wells, even lifting a heavy stone door requiring both brothers in another scene. Even her ethics have become more Chewbacca-like, with a valuing of courage and loyalty to friends rather than the more complex Hero and Heart ethics of Stefen and Elena.
- Book Dumb: While not the best in terms of book smarts, she's actually very capable and conscientious.
- Brainless Beauty: Mostly in season one.
- Break the Cutie: Sweet Jesus .
- Broken Bird: Especially in season two after she was turned into a vampire.
- Brutal Honesty: At times.
- Butt Monkey / The Chew Toy: Quite often. It seems like when someone is getting tortured, 75% of the time it's Caroline.
- Catch Phrase: "Seriously?"
- Character Development: Has become more interesting and tolerable since she was turned.
- The Cheerleader: Caroline was this in season one along with Elena and Bonnie.
- As of 4x16, she is still a cheerleader. She is the cheerleading squad captain.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: More so, ever since she became a vampire.
- Deadpan Snarker: Arguably the second biggest one, after Damon.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She matures from her shallow, self-absorbed self of the first episodes.
- Disappeared Dad: He's gay. He reveals himself in season 3.
- The Ditz: Caroline can be quite ditzy at times but in an endearing way.
- Dumb Blonde: Subverted, she appears to be this at first, but she's actually very capable and conscientious.
- Dying Declaration of Love: Played with. While she is the one who's dying at the time, she's declaring Klaus' feelings for her instead of the other way around, which affects him so much that he heals her from the werewolf bite he inflicted on her.
- The Fashionista
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire
- Genki Girl: Caroline is energetic and bubbly.
- Girl Next Door: Mostly before she was turned into a vampire.
- Girly Bruiser: The most feminine of the three girls and also physically the strongest.
- Girly Girl: Caroline is ultra feminine and girly. She is probably the most girly girl between herself, Elena and Bonnie.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She has blonde hair and she's good-hearted and Spoiled Sweet.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: It was Damon's blood that turned her. Not that he meant to, but she already had very good reasons to hate him.
- Immortality: Caroline is a vampire. She has the ability to live forever and never physically age. She can't die under normal circumstances.
- I Just Want to Be Special: In season one.
- The Leader / The Captain: Caroline is the leader or captain of the Mystic Falls High cheerleading squad (The Lady Timberwolves).
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The light to Rebekah's dark. Rebekah is pretty much her Evil Counterpart.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Blonde, pretty, popular, ditzy but nice enough.
- Love Interest: To Matt and Tyler. Klaus is also romantically interested in her.
- Mayfly-December Romance: With Klaus, who is 1000+ years old.
- The McCoy: Caroline is this within the trio of herself (The McCoy, Id), Bonnie (The Spock, Superego), and Elena (The Kirk, Ego). Caroline is more emotional, impulsive, energetic and hot-headed than Elena and Bonnie.
- Morality Pet: She's this for Klaus.
- Motor Mouth: At times.
- Naïve Everygirl: In season one, but she gets more mature later on.
- Nice Girl
- Not Growing Up Sucks: Comes to this realization on her 18th birthday
- Overshadowed by Awesome: When around Elena.
- Parental Abandonment: Caroline's father, Bill, abandoned her and her mom, Liz when Caroline was younger.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Stefan (though the shippers disagree).
- Plucky Girl / The Pollyanna: Caroline is one of the most optimistic characters on the show.
- Really Gets Around: Caroline was seen to be very boy crazy and went for any guy that payed attention to her, especially in season one.
- Rejection Affection: Klaus is undeterred by Caroline's abhorrence for him.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Matt in season one with Matt as the Savvy Guy to Caroline's Energetic Girl.
- Subverted with Stefan. Stefan is the Savvy Guy to Caroline's Energetic Girl. However, Stefan and Caroline are just friends. Stefan is broody, serious, cool, and stoic and Caroline is cheery, energetic, bubbly, optimistic. Caroline has called Stefan out on being too broody and serious.
- Shipper on Deck: Caroline is this for Stefan and Elena and their love. She is the biggest Stelena stan and supporter and often advocates for the their relationship whenever she can, especially if Stefan and Elena have broken up or are facing issues in their relationship.
"Stefan is your epic love." - Caroline to Elena in 3x20
"They are so cute together." - Caroline to Damon in 1x04
"Stefan is your soulmate!" - Caroline to Elena in 4x07
"You (Stefan) and her (Elena)? EPIC." - Caroline to Stefan in 4x07
- Spoiled Sweet: Very rich and privileged, still not an Alpha Bitch or a Rich Bitch.
- Stages of Monster Grief: Stage One (Denial) perfectly played in season 2, episode 2, "Brave New World."
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Pretty much fits to a 'T'
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Bonnie's Tomboy.
- True Companions: With Stefan, Elena and Bonnie.
- Tsundere: Type A, particularly in early episodes.
- Vampire-Werewolf Love Triangle: Becomes a center of one between Matt and Tyler.
- And a weird version in Season 3 and 4 with Tyler and Klaus who are both vampire and werewolf
"I get it, this is your life now. But you know what my life is, Caroline? My life is an absentee mom, and a bunch of bills to pay, and school, and a job, and it sucks sometimes, but it's my life and I think that I just want to live it without all this."
Matt is Elena's childhood friend and first love. Matt was willing to give Elena space after the death of her parents, hoping that the two might eventually get back together. Naturally, he was somewhat upset when Elena then fell for Stefan... but was able work past it, befriending his 'love rival' and eventually beginning a new relationship with Caroline. Perhaps the reason for his mature outlook is that he had to grow up fast - unlike most of the other characters, Matt isn't the descendant of an ancient family, but from the wrong side of the tracks; from an early age, he had to look after his irresponsible alcoholic mother, Kelly and stoner big sister, Vicki.
"Don`t start with the little twelve-steps thing. School councilor has been down that road, it doesn`t work for me."
Matt’s older sister and Jeremy’s first girlfriend, Vicki is a compulsive drug user who gets high to avoid her crappy life. She is turned by Damon on a whim.
- All Men Are Perverts: As she believes.
- Broken Bird
- The Bus Came Back: As a ghost.
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: After she is turned, everyone around her suddenly looks like a walking blood bag. According to Stefan, this is usual for a new vampire.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Foolish to Matt's Responsible.
- Freudian Excuse: Her family situation.
- Good Bad Girl: Although Vickie had a good heart, she was still a bit of a rebel as well and was a bit reckless and wild. This was emphasized after she was turned into a vampire.
- Immortality: Vickie was a vampire. She was capable of living forever and couldn't die under normal circumstances.
- Vickie was Type V: The Undead. She was a living dead person.
- Jerkass: Jeremy seems to be the only person who genuinely likes her and she is pretty horrible to him.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She does genuinely care about Matt and Jeremy, but is too selfish and irresponsible for it to show.
- Killed Off for Real: The first big death in a long line of many.
- Ms. Fanservice: Dances around in her undies under Damon's compulsion
- Really Gets Around: According to Tyler.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Stefan had to stake and kill Vickie in order to protect Elena and Jeremy from Vickie killing the both of them.
- Mid-Season Twist: To prove the point that anyone can die, the writers killed off Vicki, a character heavily established as Matt's sister, the first character turned into a vampire onscreen, and the center of a prominent secondary love triangle between Jeremy and Tyler.
- The Stoner: Along with Jeremy.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Despite being a major character (Matt's sister and involved in a Love Triangle between Jeremy and Tyler) she dies after seven episodes.
"I have no one else to tell. I’m sorry about earlier. It’s just, I’m alone with this. What’s gonna happen to me? I’m gonna turn on the next full moon, and I won’t be able to stop it. I’m scared."
Matt's best friend, though the two couldn't be more different - Tyler seems to be nothing more than a Jerk Jock
, and the son of the town's Mayor. But his parents are very unpleasant people
... and Tyler has actually inherited more from his father than just womanizing ways and a hair-trigger temper... The Lockwood bloodline are actually potential werewolves, and following Katherine's plan in the second season Tyler becomes a full werewolf himself.
- Abusive Parents: His father was violently abusive towards him.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Matt's Betty for Caroline's Archie. Later the Betty to Klaus' Veronica, always for Caroline's Archie.
- Character Development: He was an annoying bully and a Jerk Jock in season 1. Now he's a Jerk with a Heart of Gold who really cares about Caroline.
- Dirty Coward: He's good with threats but when Jeremy actually challenges him to a fight, he backs away.
- Freudian Excuse: His father was a womanizing, abusive alpha male who tried to force him to fight Jeremy "like a man".
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Justified, it's a side-effect of his latent lycanthropy.
- Hidden Depths: He's quite a good artist which Jeremy compliments him on.
- Hot-Blooded: Again, it's due to his werewolf gene.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Matt, at first.
- Immortality: Tyler is a hybrid, who is half vampire. Therefore, he will live forever and never age.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: To Caroline.
- Jerk Jock: But then evolves into a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- The Leader: Eventually to the other hybrids
- Magic Pants: Invoked, Tyler removes his shirt become his transformation but keeps his pants on, in the hope that "it's like the hulk where I get to keep my pants." It's not.
- Mr. Fanservice: Winds up naked after transforming back on several occasions.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Sired to Klaus will do this to you.
- Our Werewolves Are Different
- Painful Transformation: He tries to turn into a werewolf many times in order to no longer feel thankful for Klaus for taking the pain of his transition away.
- Parental Abandonment: Both his parents are dead now.
- Put on a Bus: Leaves mid-way through S2, but then returns for the last couple of episodes.
- Romantic False Lead: To Vicki, in early season 1.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to both Matt and Jeremy's Sensitive Guys.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Caroline.
- The Stoner: At first, but less than Vicki or Jeremy.
- Troubled, but Cute
"I've become my worst nightmare. The authority figure."
In a better world, Jenna could have been an awesome aunt to Elena and Jeremy. With the tragic death of her sister and brother-in-law, however, she's had to step up into the role of guardian for the two of them, for which she is rather less suited. Still, she tries... and at least she has a nice love interest now in the form of Alaric, following the second mysterious disappearance of Logan "Scum" Fell. She was turned into a vampire and then sacrificed by Klaus.
- Adults Are Useless: Made very, very clear in the first season finale.
- Advertised Extra: Other than being Jeremy and Elena's aunt and Alaric's girlfriend, she really wasn't that important of a character.
- Butt Monkey: She ended up being turned into a vampire and later killed by Klaus.
- Adaptation Name Change: In the books where Elena's aunt was Judith Maxwell. (nee Gilbert)
- Cool Big Sis: Fills this role much better than the one of "responsible parent".
- Deadpan Snarker: Has her moments.
- Immortality: Jenna was turned into a vampire at the end of Season 2. Therefore, she gained the ability to live forever without aging.
- Kick the Dog: The recieving end of this.First she found out that she was the last person to know about the vampires, was turned into one, and then staked by Klaus in order to complete his ritual.
- Killed Off for Real: While attempting to throw a wrench into Klaus' plans.
- Older Than They Look: If she looks just a year older than her niece... that's because in real life, she is.
- Out of Focus: Is quickly demoted to a Plot Device for inviting vampires into the Gilbert house or getting compelled by them.
- Promotion to Parent: After her sister and brother-in-law are killed in a car crash, she becomes Elena and Jeremy's legal guardian.
"I was a little too distracted by my dead vampire wife to ask any questions."
Alaric is the replacement history teacher after Mr Tanner
was killed by a mountain lion
, Alaric is much friendlier. But he's not without secrets - he came to Mystic Falls to hunt vampires, in particular the one that killed his wife. He finds rather more than he planned to... but settles into working with the heroes to protect the town from supernatural threats.
- Adults Are Useless: Subverted. His role is very important in Elena and the other's life.
- Actually Not a Vampire: In his first few episodes there are hints dropped that he is a vampire.
- The Alcoholic: After Jenna's death.
- Ax-Crazy: His alter ego is a serial killer.
- Bad Ass
- Big Bad: The last episodes in season 3, after his Face-Heel Turn.
- Butt Monkey: At times but he always bounces back.
- Came Back Wrong: Developed a psycho killer alter-ego because of this.
- Cool Teacher: He's a replacement for a history Sadist Teacher. Unlike him he's a very likable person.
- Dark Side: His alter ego.
- Deadpan Snarker: Particularly in his interactions with Damon.
- Face-Heel Turn: Makes a true one after being turned into a vampire.
- Fail O Sucky Name: Humorously refers to his name like this due to its difficulty to pronounce. Most people just call him Rick.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: His ring protects him from being killed by supernaturals. Damon once killed him solely for this purpose
- Grand Theft Me: Ends up on the receiving end of this.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Becomes this with Damon.
- Hot Teacher
- Killed Off for Real: In the season three finale, he dies when Elena drowns, for their lives have been linked by Esther.
- The Lancer: To Damon, particularly in season 3 after Stefan's Face-Heel Turn.
- Love Hurts: Alaric hasn't had much luck when it comes to love. First, his wife dies and becomes a vampire and then Jenna dies.
- McLeaned: Matt Davis left the show to star in Cult, leading to Alaric being killed off.
- Nice Guy: His alter ego aside, he's a very friendly good-natured person.
- Odd Friendship: With Damon.
- Parental Substitute: Looks to become this to Elena and Jeremy after Jenna's death.
- Well technically, he is Elena's stepfather due to his marriage to Isobel.
- Perma Stubble
- Reasonable Authority Figure: As a teacher, and a father figure to Elena and Jeremy.
- Red Herring: When he is first introduced, there are many exceedingly obvious hints that he is a vampire, who has been behind the recent murders. His true identity as a vampire hunter is revealed when he kills the vampire that was actually behind them.
- Team Dad: Being the only adult he often serves as a father figure, especially to Jeremy.
- Serial Killer: During his blackouts.
- Vampire Hunter: Alaric's side job apart from being a history teacher was hunting vampires.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Type 2 with Damon Salvatore. Damon may have killed him and turned his wife into a Vampire, but they have this weird friendship going on that even the writers love, and which they have named "Team Badass".
- You Killed My Wife: He originally comes to town, to kill Damon Salvatore because he believes that Damon killed his wife.