There is an option now on your profile page
to use "compact" folders. This works pretty well for phone users and others who like less scrolling.
Vampire-Werewolf Love Triangle
"The vampire is the slick sophisticated guy, the werewolf is the butch blue-collar guy, the girl can only pick one and so on... [...] Plus the vampires mostly have a kind of European thing going on while the werewolves are all Native Americans, so there's a kind of racial-cultural thing happening... All right, you know what? You could probably make a good movie out of that. I mean, they didn't, but... you know... I guess you
is Exactly What It Says on the Tin
. When Romance Ensues
in a continuity featuring Fur Against Fang
, the result tends to end up including a Love Triangle
featuring a vampire
and a werewolf
as two of the three members
Usually also involves Feuding Families
, Fur Against Fang
, Maligned Mixed Marriage
, Star-Crossed Lovers
, Romantic Vampire Boy
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Dance in the Vampire Bund, Mina's the vampire, Akira is the werewolf, and the Royal Three make up the third party as a whole. There's also the odd triangle between Mina, Akira, and Yuki, who is in love with Akira and has a lot of mutual Les Yay with Mina.
- Subverted in Crescent Moon. The tengu wins the girl. Hell, the werewolf and vampire aren't even competing. The werewolf is interested in an entirely different girl than the heroine.
- In InuYasha, Tsundere Kagome likes InuYasha (who is a dog hanyou, which is similar to a werewolf), and he used to love Kikyo (Kagome's past life), who becomes essentially an undead soul - energy eater, and Koga, a wolf youkai, is in love with Kagome.
- Princess Resurrection contains a distaff counterpart where a female werewolf Liza and a female vampire Reiri are both attracted to Unlucky Everydude human male. In actuality, neither sees him as a romantic interest, more as a plaything or underage drinking buddy. Now, how they, especially Reiri, view his mistress Hime on the other hand...
- In Millenium Snow, Toya is the vampire and Satsuki is the werewolf. The girl they are competing for is Chiyuki.
- Anita Blake. In addition to being a love triangle, the metaphysical bonds formed between the human necromancer, the vampire and the werewolf makes all of them more powerful.
- Twilight: This is, fundamentally, the whole plot of the series.
- The Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries and its HBO adaptation, True Blood. Okay, he's an Animorphism shapeshifter. But he gets mistaken for a werewolf. If you read further into The Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries, it's actually a telepath / vampire / vampire / shapeshifter / werewolf / werepanther / weretiger Love Dodecahedron. On the other hand, Sookie breaks up with/kills most of her past lovers before moving onto the next one, so it's not quite such a tangled mess. Not to mention, with Harris' habit of killing off characters left and right, there likely soon won't be any characters left for Sookie to even have a relationship with, let alone have to worry about sparking rivalries.
- In the Discworld book Thud, Angua the werewolf is in a relationship with Carrot, but Sally the vampire develops a crush on him and an intense rivalry develops between the girls, which is only intensified by instinctual Fur Against Fang. However, the rivalry (and instinctual dislike) seems to be mostly in Angua's mind. Sally admits that she's attracted to Carrot, but knows that she doesn't really have a chance; his heart beat picks up whenever Angua is around.
- Somewhat true in Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson books. The titular character has to choose between two werewolves: teenage crush Samuel and next-door-neighbor Adam, but she also has a rather close relationship with vampire Stefan, whose unrequited crush seems very likely to stay unrequited. In the fifth book she finally chooses Adam, but this remains pretty central to the plot for most of the series. However, Stefan is only really a contender in his own mind, as Mercedes has plenty of good reasons to dislike vampires.
- The Mortal Instruments series has an unusual variation on this. There's a werewolf-vampire-human love triangleóbut the vampire is at the center of it.
- Another example of this trope is Daniel Gonzalez's Ravencraft novels, thereís a love triangle between vampire hunter Donovan Fort, his vampire girlfriend Lucilla and his werewolf colleague Laura Talbot.
- Played totally straight in the Twilight series with Bella (human), Edward (vampire) and Jacob (werewolf).
- Amusingly subverted in Underworld. Vampire Kraven thinks he's in a love triangle with Vampire Assassin Selene and the series' Unfazed Everyman, Michael. And the werewolves are trying to turn Michael to their side before she gets a hold of him. He's dead wrong, though, since she thinks he's a power-hungry coward. Hell, at that point in the story, she doesn't even have a romantic interest in Michael yet... Kraven is just so narcissistic as to think she's in love with him, and it infuriates him to even consider that she could choose Michael over him.
Of course, she does eventually fall in love with Michael, despite him being turned into a werewolf against his will. She even tries mightily to protect him from other vampires and herself (considering she usually kills werewolves on sight). Kraven tries to win her over again (despite having been exposed as a traitor to all vampires) and at this time she literally shoots him down, though she fails to kill him (not for lack of trying). He dies in the second movie.
- In Van Helsing, the title character is in the process of becoming a werewolf when Dracula kidnaps his love interest and tries to seduce her.
- Young Dracula is an example of this, because Vlad's mother ran off with a werewolf. In this case, that means a vampire running away from her vampire husband(and children) to a werewolf lover.
- Wizards of Waverly Place twists this around with Juliet briefly falling into one between Justin and Mason.
- The Vampire Diaries starts playing with it in the second season, with Caroline developing an intense friendship and bond with Tyler while still having some feelings for her ex-boyfriend Matt. Season 3 takes it further as Tyler has also become a vampire, and Klaus, who is also vampire and werewolf. In short, it's a vampire girl torn between two werewolf-vampire hybrids.
- House of Frankenstein (1997) features vampire (the Big Bad), the Love Interest (a woman bitten by a werewolf) and the hero (the cop). Lampshaded when a monster expert mentions that vampires love lycanthropes; "Their own little animal — you know what men are like."
- In the Fillmore! episode, "The Unseen Reflection", features this as part of a Show Within a Show.
- In the Monster High Valentines Day special, Clawd the werewolf is trying to figure out what to get Draculaura for her birthday. Enter her ex-boyfriend, the charming vampire Valentine...