open/close all folders
- Axe Crazy: No conscience, nasty temper at times. Do the math.
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Blue Blood
- Cute and Psycho
- Deathbringer the Adorable
- Evil Is Sexy: She likes to think so.
- Evil Twin: To Serenity.
- Femme Fatale
- Fluffy the Terrible
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: A natural consequence of her stature and taste in men.
- It's All About Me
- Knife Nut: Her weapon of choice, although she's useless with one in a pitched fight.
- Lack of Empathy
- Long-Lost Relative: To Serenity, although Serenity is technically the long lost one.
- Manipulative Bitch
- Neutral Evil
- Psychotic Smirk: What her real smile looks like.
- Rags to Royalty: Or at least to nobility. King Thrushbeard style, somewhat subverted by Harmony not having learned anything but how to lie better.
- Separated at Birth: Serenity again.
- Stepford Smiler: Type C.
- Straw Misogynist: For lack of a better trope. She dislikes other women in a general sense.
- The Tease
- Theme Twin Naming: Harmony and Serenity.
- Til Murder Do Us Part: Subverted. Not that anyone believes it.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Briefly.
- The Vamp
The Duke of Fidona and one of the biggest idealists on the Sliding Scaleof Idealism Versus Cynicism. Probably also one of the most clearly heroic characters. Despite being 3rd Tier, he is constantly made fun of.
- Action Hero
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: There is no other battle strategy!
- Badass Cape: Of the purple variety.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Zwingley TEARS GAZ'S ARMS OUT OF THEIR SOCKETS. "Nobody kills my king and lives", indeed.
- Big Eater
- BFS: Durandal.
- The Big Guy: His 3rd Tier class is Juggernaut for a reason.
- Boisterous Bruiser: To a T.
- Chaste Hero: At least up until he became a Duke.
- Chef of Iron: And a damn good one.
- Farm Boy: Started out as a ranch hand.
- Heroic Spirit
- Honor Before Reason
- Hope Bringer
- Ho Yay: The fact that his highest support level was with Feldspar and he showed no interest in women meant that this was inevitable.
- Idiot Hero: Skylessia's greatest.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness
- Knight in Shining Armor: His armor is shiny and he fights evil and doesn't afraid of anything.
- Largeand In Charge: He's big and commands a small army.
- Last Name Basis: With everyone.
- Limited Wardrobe
- Long-Lost Relative: His half-brother, Carmine.
- Mighty Glacier
- Misery Builds Character: His whole family has been killed and he's gone to jail for things he didn't do more times than one can count. And he's still such a nice guy.
- Older and Wiser: After he gets married and has a kid.
- Power Fist: His Megaton Punch, Smite.
- Principles Zealot
- Rags to Royalty: The Sleeping Beauty type. Originally thought he was a rancher's son, but turns out he's the son of one of the wealthiest men on the planet, and his mother was sister to a Duke.
- Rated M for Manly: Everything he does.
- Nobles Who Actually Do Something
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Feldspar and Zwingley, respectively.
- Super Strength: Acquired at third tier.
- Think Nothing of It: Pretty much the way he treats every situation in which he's saved someone.
- Upbringing Makes the Hero: Played straight for the most part.
- 24-Hour Armor: Even at Chester and Dineyl's wedding.
- World's Strongest Man: Because of above.
- You Can Barely Stand: Has had a couple of these moments.
A sage from Alacia specializing in Wind Magic, he wanders in search of knowledge. Loyal, honest and kind, to a fault, his Achilles' Heel is his embarrassment around females.
- Badass Bookworm: Wind Sage. 'Nuff said.
- Elemental Powers: Wind
- Good Samaritan
- Oblivious to Love: If he makes a woman blush, he wouldn't realize it.
- Walking the Earth
- What an Idiot: His kindness essentially led him to be a source of amusement for Harmony Duval, who, well... see above.
A member of the Knights Celestia and one of the strongest people in the world. Former duchess of Goshen.
- Action Girl
- Battle Couple: With Aether.
- Break the Cutie
- Characterization Marches On
- Cool Sword: The Sword of Seals.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Hair Colors: Subverted. Syn is no spellcaster, but a swordswoman.
- Nerves of Steel
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: The strong-willed Syn has had a notoriously difficult time acquiring suitors.
- Shout-Out: "My name is Syntyche Trevayne. You have killed my ex-boyfriend. Prepare to die."
A young man of the Nineveh, a tribe of forest Vikings that are more or less stuck in Dark Age Europe. Brash, eager, and impossible to get along with, no matter how powerful he becomes he remains one of Skylessia's premier Butt Monkeys.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Ellis subverted this until Amaranth got her hands on him.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Ellis's weapon of choice, Revolution, is a 3 foot long, glorified magically spinning pizza cutter. It doesn't stop him from using it a lot.
- Badass Boast: At least, he tries.
- Barbarian Hero
- Blood Knight
- Blueand Orange Morality
- Book Dumb: Exhibit A.
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Can't Bathe Without a Weapon: He even brought his axes to a wedding.
- Child Soldier: Despite his insistence that he is a full-grown man, Ellis tends to border on this. Contributes greatly to Values Dissonance.
- Deconstruction / Lampshade Hanging: Of kid heroes and shonen protagonists, depending on where on the Mood Whiplash a given post is.
- Despair Event Horizon: Particularly prone to this.
- Fiery Redhead
- Funetik Aksent: "What, y'got a problem with that?!"
- Glacier Waif: Due to being weighed down by all his armor and axes, he is usually more of a Stone Wall than his build would have you believe. The few times he fought without his armor he became a Glass Cannon.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Horny Vikings: He and his entire tribe have the helmets to show it.
- I Want to Be a Real Man
- Kid-Appeal Character: Ankle Biter flavor, upgraded from Tagalong Kid.
- Lawful Neutral: Which translates as Chaotic Neutral, due to what constitutes Nineveh 'law'.
- Mood Whiplash
- Mr. Imagination: There is no other way to explain this.◊
- Named Weapons: Banditcleaver, Banditbutcher, Pirateslayer, Woodcleaver, Deerbutcher, Starforged, and Revolution, to name a few. Out of these only Starforged and Revolution are particularly special axes.
- No Social Skills
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: What happens when he tries to speak with an Alacian noble accent.
- Principles Zealot: To a ridiculous degree.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy
- Rated M for Manly: Everything he and Zwingley does together.
- Reckless Sidekick: To Zwingley.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Erevor, Leon, Niode, and almost everyone else. Blue Oni to Kid Stan.
- Trope Overdosed
- Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour: At 15, the youth age limit for a Skylessia PC, Ellis killed many, many people with barely a second thought, much to the consternation of those who saw him as no more than a child.
- 24-Hour Armor: Utterly played straight, and deconstructed. Non-Nineveh think it's completely bizarre that he wears his armor everywhere he goes.
- Tsundere: Type A
- Unreliable Narrator
- Marty Stu: Ellis, according to himself.
- Values Dissonance: With nearly everyone else he talks to.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Type 2, with Erevor.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: His primary motivation during his Sending.
A young woman from the Trenor clan, a small tribe in northern Arad'uun. She's generally calm and easy-going. One of the many women involved with Vadim Itzal.
- Anti-Magic/Power Nullifier: Her main bow dampens the effects of magic both ways - mages hit with an arrow from it become weaker, while she also gets a boost in resistance. While it doesn't completely nullify magic, it's still enough for the trope to apply. Impressive for simply finding it lying around in a storeroom.
- Blade on a Stick: Lances are her secondary weapon.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She had it once, and it was the focus of an RP plot.
- Mage Killer: Developed into one after gaining Soulsinger.
- Named Weapons: Soulsinger
- Purple Eyes
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Walking the Earth
- Artificial Human: A morph.
- Badass Bookworm
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Black Magic
- The Drifter
- Gentleman and a Scholar
- Humanoid Abomination
- Artificial Human: A half-homunculus, or morph.
- Black Cloak
- Elemental Powers
- Fake Memories
- Full-Contact Magic
- Good with Numbers
- High-Class Glass: Monocle.
- Nerves of Steel
- Not So Stoic: In his interactions with Annie and Al.
- The Quiet One
- Psychic Powers
- Shock and Awe: He isn't called BlackLightning for nothing.
- Summon Magic
- The Stoic
A beautiful, but strong-willed Devlani soldier from the Devlan Supreme Army who rebels and joins James Sromvoski in the historic Devlan Great War. She becomes James's queen after they fall in love during the war.
- Action Girl: "YAAHHHH!!!" *Swings sword*
- Badass Cape: Half a cape
- Cool Sword: After she obtains Exaccus, the shape-shifting, lightning sword of true purple.
- Bare Your Midriff: Only before she obtains her second-tier outfit.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: She's several inches taller than her significant other.
- Battle Couple: Aria & James Sromvoski
- BFS: Big sword
- Boobs of Steel: "It can be assumed that bigger breasts equals greater physical strength..."
- Chainmail Bikini: You just can't help it...
- Disappeared Dad: In the army, but has not been sending letters...
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a clean scar across her face
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Unfailingly devoted to the forces of justice and all that is good and right
- Jeanne d'Archétype: Female, Young, Action Girl, Devotion to Greater Cause, Farmgirl, Joined the military
- Lethal Chef: Concocts near deadly creations, despite her enthusiasm.
- Relationship Sue: Aria x James, perfect destiny soul mates.
- Stripperific: Wears sexy, but impractical armor
- Subordinate Excuse: with James Sromvoski/love interest
- The Strategist: Clever army tactician.
- Combat Pragmatist: Killed the steed before the rider, but only because she had no choice.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple, her signature color.
- Zettai Ryouiki: ~The area of bare skin between her bike shorts and her thigh highs...
- The Alcoholic: Used to be this after being betrayed by his country, but he got better and vowed to stop drinking again. He's had one drink since, and that was when he thought he was going to freeze to death in a blizzard.
- The Captain: Was this in the Devlani military, before he was blacklisted as an insurrectionist.
- Deadpan Snarker: Doesn't say much, but when he does it sometimes falls into this category.
- Defector from Decadence: Starts speaking out against the oppressive government after a member of his batallion kills an innocent woman. It doesn't go very well.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Experiences one while living in Valhassa after getting thrown overboard of a ship and left for dead. He gets better.
- Icy Blue Eyes: of the icy and piercing variety.
- The Stoic: Mostly, but lately that's been changing as he's been dealing with Devlan directly.
Norville 'Banks' Banks
- Affably Evil
- Brilliant, but Lazy
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- But in reality, more like Obfuscating Stupidity
- For the Lulz
- Magnificent Bastard
- The Load
- The Stoner
- Too Funny to Be Evil
- Knight Errant
- Mighty Glacier
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: mostly due to Samus Is a Girl and Suppressed Mammaries
- Officer and a Gentleman: turned Of the People, which caused a My Country, Right or Wrong
- Shell-Shocked Veteran
- Badass Longcoat
- Nice Hat
- The Captain: Captain of the Crimson Butterfly.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Tragic backstory, empowers character to seek revenge.
- Fragile Speedster
- Lady of War: Finesse fighter (w/ rapiers)
- Nice Hat
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Pirates deserve to die.
- Pirate Girl
- Revenge: Seeks Janorek of the Gorge's death.
- Revenge Before Reason
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Wants to kill every pirate without question.
- Smoking Is Cool
- Talking Weapon: Esperina's ravenous live sword Skyrremizu.
- Can't Stand Them, Can't Live Without Them: His attitude towards people.
- Conveniently Orphaned
- Deadpan Snarker
- Disappeared Dad
- Foil: To Ellis.
- Happily Adopted
- Heroic Bastard
- Jerk With A Heart Of Jerk
- Noble Bigot with a Badge
- Only in It for the Money / Not in This for Your Revolution
- Parental Abandonment
- An Axe to Grind
- Bare Your Midriff: Freya's wardrobe has been morphing with her location, but she favors a Chainmail Bikini to contain her Boobs of Steel.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Can't read, very lighthearted almost bordering on obnoxious, but not quite The Idiot from Osaka.
- Disappeared Dad: which lead to Made a Slave
- Fragile Speedster Viking
- Just Like Robin Hood: Does what she needs to get by; more specifically a Classy Cat-Burglar who displays Honor Among Thieves
- The Tramp: whose various jobs include being a Hooker with a Heart of Gold, Private Military Contractors, or a Kleptomaniac Hero
- Badass Longcoat
- Bring My Red Jacket: He wears one, and does suffer for it sometimes.
- Dual Wielding: Sometimes.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Inflicted IRP.
- Bad Liar
- Bag of Holding (Hammerspace): Her pockets contain many useful items...
- Calling Your Attacks: Signature move
- Curtains Match the Window: Blue hair & blue Eyes
- Deadly Dodging
- Disappeared Dad: Renoir's father is nowhere to be found...?
- Dumb Is Good
- Funetik Aksent: "Hey, I dun think ye bein' fair, y'ken!"
- Fragile Speedster
- Honor Among Thieves
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Represents innocence, purity
- Long-Lost Relative: Half-sister of Syn.
- Just Like Robin Hood: Steals from the rich, gives to the poor
- Man Child: Adult with childish qualities
- Scarf of Asskicking: Headband, waist sash flowing in the wind
- Supreme Chef: Cook of Impossibly Delicious Food.
- Unexplained Accent
- Weak, but Skilled
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Batman Gambit: Loves pulling these off.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She uses this to help accomplish the previous trope
- Rich Bitch
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: She will eventually say this. Her creator knows it.
- Upper-Class Twit
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Fiery Redhead: Completely subverted. Lark is more liable to set off others.
- Hammer Space: Her pants of infinite holding.
- Heroes Want Redheads
- Lovable Rogue
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl
- Ms. Fanservice: Despite being a Pettanko.
- Squishy Wizard: Emphasis on squishy. One hit and she'd basically be crushed.
- Strange-Syntax Speaker: Sometimes.
- The Tease: Just ask Basir!
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Has a new outfit for every single RP.
- Weak, but Skilled: Her spells are very weak compared to those of other mages (her Fire spell is the size of a lit match), but she has absurdly long range to compensate. She also has a ton of various gadgets in her Pants of Holding.
- The Alcoholic: Always carries a flask on his person. No exceptions.
- Badass Grandpa: He thinks he is, anyway.
- Drunken Master: Heavily implied.
- Funetik Aksent: "Wat teh feck are ya tryin' ta pull, boi?"
- Never Gets Drunk: onscreen, anyway.
- Smoking Is Cool: He smokes as much as he drinks.
- Squishy Wizard: He's a sage.
- Unexplained Accent: Where the hell is Ireland in Skylessia?
- Classy Cat-Burglar: Her alter ego, the Masked Mistress
- Rings of Death: Her primary weapon until she obtained (stole) Oathkeeper.
- Cool Sword: Oathkeeper
- Never Learned to Read
- Badass Cape
- Cool Mask
- Blackmail: Forced to do the Stage Society's bidding for a while due to this
- Living a Double Life: An ordinary girl by day, the Masked Mistress by night.
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life: Ended up the other way around. Her romantic interest Feldspar convinced her to end her life of crime.
- Con Man: Her father
- Faking the Dead: Done on her One Last Job to throw off Stage Society avengers and bountyhunters from seeking her out.
- Important Haircut: Done after Faking the Dead
- Street Performer: Joined a traveling acting troupe after giving up crime.
Val MaeAlzabez Kerchaj
A major in the Val Mae military and a former arena fighter. Calm, collected, good-humored, and sociable, she is an overall Nice Gal and befriends people easily.
- Awesomeness by Analysis
- Badass Cape: Or at least cloak.
- Brainy Brunette
- Christmas Cake: A 28-year-old in a world where most PCs settle down and have children by 21.
- Cool Big Sis: To the Negligible Knights.
- Deadpan Snarker: Brought in full force towards Cera, who completely misses the point.
- Genius Bruiser: A Mighty Glacier who enjoys reading and talking in great detail about magical theory, world politics, and alternative systems of government.
- Handicapped Badass: Has an old battle wound full of poison that cripples her dominant, left arm.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: A very minor one upon Cera's death, causing her to kill enemies she would normally take pains to spare.
- Neutral Good
- One-Note Cook: The only thing she can cook is cafeteria food.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue Oni to Cera's Red, before his untimely death.
- Shield Bash: A favored technique.
- Technical Pacifist: Averse to killing enemies when they could hold useful information, or be working under coercion.
- The Rival: With Alcress.
- The Men First / What Measure Is a Mook?: Sometimes manifesting in Honor Before Reason.
- 24-Hour Armor: Averted. Al tends to wear normal clothes a good majority of the time.
A Val Maean merchant who looks far more like some sort of barbarian, he is actually a rather wealthy and genteel man. Of course, he does take up mercenary work on the side...
- An Axe to Grind: He's a warrior.
- Fiery Redhead: Subversion. He's actually rather cool and collected...until he starts being a Papa Wolf.
- Foe-Tossing Charge: He's probably done so once.
- Gray Eyes
- Intrepid Merchant: his normal job.
- Papa Wolf: Do NOT mess with his wife or kids. You've been warned.
- Action Duo: with his friend and bodyguard, Shane.
- Bavarian Fire Drill: has used this tactic on numerous occasions to create distractions and apprehend targets
- Government Agency of Fiction: The Val Maean Intelligence Department (VMID)
- The Handler: Shane
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Naturally, with Shane
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Completely subverted with regards to Ellis, as they both really do hate each other. Happens to some extent with Leikr.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Rarely, which is why it's so fun!
- Dumb Blonde: Though she is highly educated.
- Genki Girl: Come on, this is like, a staple!
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Unless a certain pirate captain is about.
- Naïve Newcomer: Starts at level 1 by -design-.
- Remittance Man: Used for comedic effect.
- Spoiled Sweet: In that kind of naive way.
- The Chew Toy See the shield one.
- The Jeeves: Geoffrey.
Xun AlartiaVadim Itzal
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Regal Blade.
- Badass Longcoat: As well as Man in White.
- Brainy Brunette
- Cheshire Cat Grin
- Consummate Liar
- Cool Mask: The pokerface mask.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Harem Seeker: Just can't say no.
- Knife Nut
- Master of Disguise: Including cross-dressing.
- The Pornomancer
- Rule of Cool: He has a list of techniques.
- Treasure Hunter
- Weak, but Skilled
- Zorro Mark
- Cool Sword
- I Am Who??
- Implausible Fencing Powers
- Lady of War
- Lethal Chef
- Rags to Royalty: The most obvious case, as she went from a simple mercenary to Princess of both Yllspyre and Alacia. Now that the king has met his untimely demise, it looks as though she may become Queen.
- Rebellious Princess
- Single-Stroke Battle
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man
- Unlucky Busty Girl: The story of her love life. Though it seems to be turning around as of late.
- Sleepyhead: As well as a sleep-fighter.
- Bad Guys Do the Dirty Work: What he did on the prison island fits.
- Can't Bathe Without a Weapon: Self-explanatory.
- Carnival of Killers: He's got one.
- Contract on the Hitman: He started World War Kraid because of one.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Engages frequently in them.
- Exotic Weapon Supremacy: The Quake Maul.
- Fight Magnet: Applies to everyone...
- Foe-Tossing Charge: He's done it.
- Spikes of Villainy: Not technically a bad guy, but still.
- Villain Protagonist: Arguable.