Characters specific to Licence to Kill
. For those in the entire film franchise
, see here
Played by : Robert Davi
The most powerful drug lord in Latin America, having been wanted by the DEA for years. He is captured in the opening scene of the movie, only to escape shortly afterwards and wreck havoc on Felix Leiter's life. Is arguably based on the version of Fransisco Scaramanga as seen in the original novel
, but is considerably nicer
- Affably Evil / Faux Affably Evil: Depending on his mood.
- Benevolent Boss: Subverted. Bond manipulates him into a state of paranoia, causing him to kill his own men.
- Berserk Button: Let's just say that he doesn't take disloyalty very well.
- Big Bad
- Bond One-Liner:
Perez: What about the money, patron?
Sanchez: Launder it.
- The Cartel
- Composite Character: He has elements of Le Chiffre and Francisco Scaramanga (from the books), right down to the latter's name.
- Domestic Abuser
- Establishing Character Moment: Upon catching Lupe with another man, he orders the man's heart cut out and he personally whips Lupe.
- Karmic Death: Kill It with Fire / Man on Fire
- Knight of Cerebus: The movie is already Darker and Edgier. Sanchez obviously doesn't help.
- Lack of Empathy
- Machete Mayhem: He uses one in his climatic fight with Bond.
- Man of Wealth and Taste: Not really, if the kitsch style of his Big Fancy House is any indication. Franz has very much the taste of a thug off the streets despite his immense wealth.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor
- Nothing Personal: So he says to Leiter.
Sanchez: I want you to know this is nothing personal. It's purely... business.
- President for Life: He is the real ruler of the Banana Republic that is Isthmus. He even has a meeting with "el Presidenté", where he informs the man that he is "replaceable".
Sanchez: Remember, you're only President... For life.
- Psychotic Smirk
- Revenge Before Reason: Would have gotten away with it if not for his Disproportionate Retribution against Felix Leiter.
- Right Hand Iguana: It even has a little diamond necklace.
- Sanity Slippage / Villainous Breakdown: Toward the end of his reign.
- Terms of Endangerment: Does this right after finding his missing millions of dollars stashed in Krest's decompression chamber, when Krest claims that it isn't his money. "That's right, amigo. It is mine!" What follows is one of the most gruesome and disturbing death scenes in the whole series.
- Tranquil Fury
- Supervillain Lair: His drug refining facility, which is hidden behind the Olimpatec Meditation Institute.
- Villain with Good Publicity: In Isthmus.
Played by : Carey Lowell
The last CIA agent alive on Leiter's list of contacts on the Sanchez file, she meets Bond in a bar in Bimini. She ends up helping him in his crusade against Sanchez.
Played by : Talisa Soto
Played by : Benicio Del Toro
Sanchez's main and most loyal henchman.
Played by : Anthony Zerbe
Sanchez's henchman who operates the Wavekrest Marine Research as a cover for drug trade.
- Asshole Victim
- Blatant Lies: When Bond meets him.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Sanchez throws him inside his boat's decompression chamber and begins raising the pressure of the chamber. Once the pressure reaches a critical point, Sanchez, taking an axe, hacks through the air-pressure vent. The rapid decompression causes Krest's head to rapidly expand, then explode.
- Death by Materialism: Subverted. Sanchez is led to think Krest died this way.
- Even Evil Has Standards: As with Kilifer, he's clearly nauseated watching Leiter being fed to the shark.
- Karmic Death
- Mistaken for an Imposter: Krest may have been loyal the whole time, but between Bond's convincing tip to Sanchez about a possible traitor in his organization, and the presence of a huge pile of Sanchez' money on his boat, he ends up looking guilty as sin.
- Wealthy Yacht Owner:
- Your Head Asplode
Played by: Don Stroud
Sanchez's head of security, he is the head of the Isthmus military. He is also a CIA grass who is trying to commandeer the Stinger missiles that Sanchez has stolen.
Played by: Anthony Starke
Sanchez's financial advisor and accountant.
Played by: Everett McGill
A DEA agent who was bribed by Sanchez to help him escape and betray Felix Leiter.
Professor Joe Butcher
Played by: Wayne Newton
Sanchez's middleman and TV evangelist for Olimpatec Meditation Institute.
El Presidente Hector Lopez
Played by: Pedro Armendáriz Jr.
The President of Isthmus.
Played by: Frank McRae
A friend of Felix Leiter, he owns a boat charter business and was chosen by Leiter to be his Best Man alongside Bond for his wedding. He later helps Bond to investigate Krest's facility and yacht.
Della Leiter, née Churchill
Played by: Priscilla Barnes
The bride of Felix Leiter, she is raped and killed by Sanchez's men on her wedding night.