Characters: Aria the Scarlet Ammo
open/close all folders
A top student of Assault Side, who, for some reason, demoted himself to the more rear-line Inquest Side. When sexually aroused, he enters a state called "Hysteria Savant Syndrome" (HSS), also known as "Hysteria Mode".
- Accidental Pervert: And considering how his power works, this can be a problem… or save his life.
- The Ace: In HSS mode, he's a Genius Lightning Bruiser and a smooth-talker to boot.
- Almighty Janitor: Especially in HSS, though it's hinted that normally he's stronger than his "E rank" would indicate.
- Badass Normal: He aced the Butei entrance exam and is shown to be highly competent even without HSS.
- Bishōnen: A borderline example.
- Blessed with Suck/Cursed with Awesome: HSS grants him superhuman abilities, but it is only activated by sexual arousal, and under such a state Kinji turns into a suave ladykiller, which he thinks is detrimental to his academic life.
- Bullet Time/Hyper Awareness: One of his powers under HSS.
- Butt Monkey: His girls love to make his life difficult for him and his flat.
- Chick Magnet: Has Aria, Shirayuki, Riko, and Reki after him. And that's just the top of the iceberg.
- Chivalrous Pervert/Insufferable Genius: While in HSS.... Which peeves him to no end.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: He has many female admirers. He either doesn't notice or chooses to ignore the signs.
- Deus Sex Machina: He needs to be sexually aroused (usually by experiencing Marshmallow Hell or kissing) to activate his HSS.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Dual Wielding: Recent light novel volumes promote him into the "third Quadra", after Aria and Riko.
- First Kiss: With Aria, which also doubles as a deliberate HSS activation to him.
- First-Person Smartass: Snarks a lot in his head.
- Genre Savvy
- Humiliation Conga: He was forced to mull leaving Butei after he and his (supposedly-dead) older brother Kinichi was subjected to this after the latter's rescue attempt aboard a sinking ship, but with the shipping company unwilling to take responsibility and instead scapegoating him.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: After his Humiliation Conga, Kinji mulls leaving Butei High.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: By his classmates as one due to his closeness to the diminutive Aria. She is the most effective catalyst for his HSS. For example, in Episode 10, he managed to resist arousal from Riko in just her lingerie, but couldn't hold on any longer once he saw Aria taking off her socks.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: Aria keeps asserting that Kinji is her slave.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Ironically, by his own HSS-addled alter-ego. He knows it and hates that fact.
- Super Mode: His Hysteria Mode. He also has the "Berserk HSS" upgrade, which is triggered by jealousy.
- Super Reflexes: One of his Hysteria mode's powers.
- Tall, Dark, Handsome and Snarky
- Tsundere: A rare male Type A. He usually treats Aria with indifference but there are times when he is kind to her.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Unwanted Harem
- Weapon of Choice: A Beretta 92FS Inox modified to fire a three-round burst, which he conveniently names "Beretta Kinji Model", as well as a butterfly knife.
Aria Holmes Kanzaki
A diminutive top student of Butei High's prestigious Assault Side. Looking for a fitting partner, her attention falls on Kinji, whom she quickly declares her "slave". She is also the great-granddaughter of the most powerful and intelligent detective in history, Sherlock Holmes.
Kinji's childhood friend and a Miko
of the Hotogi Shrine in Aomori Prefecture.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade
- Action Girl
- Alliterative Name: Himiko Hotogi
- Badass Adorable
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Aria's Veronica.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kind, affectionate, bashful, and when she heard that Shinji was threatened by a serial killer copycat, she started talking about lopping limbs off.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Most of the time, she's sweet, gentle and delicate. Until she switches to Yandere mode.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The brunette to blonde Riko and redhead Aria.
- Broken Bird: Implied — as a child she was not allowed to go outside, and was severely punished for going out with Kinji. She was also only able to attend Butei High due to her clan's approval.
- Childhood Friend Romance: This is her ultimate goal with Kinji.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Do not be within a 2 meter radius from Kinji in her presence.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Whenever she's slipping into Yandere mode, especially towards Aria.
- Famous Ancestor: Himiko, legendary shaman queen of Yamataikoku.
- First Kiss: With Kinji, though technically this is already the guy's second (the first being Aria, of course).
- Healing Hands
- Hime Cut
- Non-Indicative Name: Invoked as an alias.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Her katana, called "Irokane Ayame", forged from the Unobtanium of the same name.
- Lady of War
- Meaningful Name: Shirayuki means "white snow".
- Multi-Melee Master: Weapons include a katana and a kusarigama, among others.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest
- Playing with Fire: Her offensive magic is based on this, with Irokane Ayame acting as a Flaming Sword.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Student Council President
- Tareme Eyes: Being a shy, polite and demure girl. most of the time.
- The Three Faces of Eve: The Wife (a mild-mannered, albeit potentially violent Yamato Nadeshiko, who has considerable domestic skills, especially cooking, and extremely devoted to Kinji).
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A miko according to family tradition and practices with a katana.
- Yandere: Played for Laughs, in that she threatens "exorcism" to any girl who comes between her and Kinji (including his partner Aria).
- Yaoi Fangirl: Stated in the previews for the 11th episode, so it might not be canon.
A mysterious, silent sniper and Butei High student.
Riko Mine Lupin IV
A ditzy, air-headed Butei High student and a reliable source of information. Great-granddaughter of the legendary thief Arsène Lupin.
- Animal Motifs: Like Aria, Riko has her own share of feline characteristics, with her Cat Smile as the most evident one. Shirayuki even calls her "the other thieving cat".
- Badass Adorable
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The blonde to brunette Shirayuki and redhead Aria.
- Broken Bird: She's a complete orphan living at Vlad's mercy, brainwashed into joining I-U and attempting to slay Aria, a Holmes, in order to win back her precious rosary, her identity and her freedom... all for Vlad to extract DNA from Aria and create superior genes that allow him to evolve.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- But Not Too Foreign: She has French blood.
- Cat Smile: Which emphasizes her mischievous personality.
- Chekhov's Skill: She can imitate the voice of any person she wants to impersonate very well. This comes in handy soon afterwards.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Although she joins the Kinji-Aria team for good after they free her from Vlad's clutches.
- The Ditz: Though not nearly as much as she lets on, mind you.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French
- Famous Ancestor: Arsène Lupin.
- First Kiss: She shares hers with Kinji, which effectively makes it his third.
- Foil: To Aria.
- Freudian Excuse: Sick of being constantly referred to as "Lupin the 4th" by Vlad (pretending to be a relative) and treated as a defective descendant whose only worth is to serve as a womb to bear a superior 5th, Riko was forced to join I-U, hoping to kill a Holmes and finally break free of her great-grandfather's shadow.
- Gag Boobs/Gainaxing
- Genki Girl
- Genre Savvy
- Girlish Pigtails
- Good Bad Girl: A bright ray of good-natured sunshine who just happens to also be very frank and comfortable with her sexuality.
- Holding Both Sides of the Conversation: In Episode 11, to set off Kinji's HSS.
- I Am Not My Father: Ultimately subverted in the end, when, after defeating Vlad, who brainwashed her into doing his bidding by hammering the title onto her, she regains her pride of her heritage as Lupin the 4th.
- Knowledge Broker
- Lamarck Was Right: Averted. Supposedly, Riko is a deficient version of her great-grandfather; not as impressive a thief as a Lupin should be.
- Loss of Identity: Solves it in Volume 3 with Kinji and Aria's help.
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- Malicious Misnaming: She pronounces Aria's name like in French instead of the correct spelling i.e. "'Olmès" instead of "Holmes". Well... that's the idea at least. No-one in France actually pronounces it that way.
- Master of Disguise: Riko Mine is another thief character with the ability to disguise themselves excellently. Because she is the great-granddaughter of Arsene Lupin, and Holmes's nemesis.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- Otaku Surrogate
- Prehensile Hair
- Shameless Fanservice Girl
- Shout-Out: Not only is she known as "Lupin the 4th", her last name "Mine" is the same as Fujiko Mine from Lupin III.
- Signature Laugh: Kufu!
- Tareme Eyes
- Third-Person Person: Except when she is serious.
- Third-Option Love Interest: She is the third major member of Kinji's harem.
- The Three Faces of Eve: The Seductress (extremely flirty around Kinji, and knows how to use her womanly charms very well).
- Trademark Favorite Food: Strawberry au lait.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: She loves hiding things sizable enough to fit between her firm and ample breasts.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Aria.
- Voice Changeling: One of her talents as a Master of Disguise. She can for example, imitate Aria's voice perfectly to trigger Kinji's Hysteria Mode.
- Weapon of Choice: A pair of Walther P99s and a pair of knives.
Kinji's good friend from the Logi Side.
Another of Kinji's friends and classmate in the Assault Side.
A second-year from the Connect Side who serves as the voice behind her schoolmates' intercom when on the field.
Homeroom teacher of Class 2-A and instructor of Inquest Side.
Voiced by: Masumi Asano
(Japanese) and Erica Harte (English)
Homeroom teacher of Class 2-B and instructor of Dagula Side.
A scientist teacher working for the Ambulance side, as well as the housekeeper of the Kōmei mansion. See Vlad for more details.
- Hot Teacher: All the nameless girls of Butei High seem to fawn over him.
- For Science!: He spends pretty much all of his time closed up in his laboratory.
Jeanne d'Arc XXX
A mysterious silver-haired French girl who specializes in ice-elemental combat.
- The Ace: With everything that's not drawing.
- Action Girl
- Born in the Wrong Century: As noted by Kinji, Jeanne shows shades of this. She's refined, wears plate mail, wields a zweihander (two-handed sword), doesn't know what a vending machine is, and dislikes skimpy clothing (including modern school uniforms, even her Butei uniform). This may have stemmed from growing up without seeing the world beyond I-U's auspices.
- Broken Bird
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Thanks to fellow Frenchwoman Riko's influence, the once very conservative Jeanne is starting to collect Meido uniforms, Elegant Gothic Lolita outfits, etc.
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Elemental Hair: Has snow-white hair and ice powers.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French
- Expy: She could be easily mistaken for a younger, Francophone Saber Lily with longer silver hair, shorter skirt, and a near-identical sword — with the same seiyuu to boot, to near-Casting Gag levels.
- Famous Ancestor: Her name alone should be a giveaway already.
- An Ice Person
- Jeanne d'Archétype
- Lady of War
- Meganekko: Occasionally.
- Mystical White Hair
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: "Durandal", as she was known during her days at the I-U.
- New Transfer Student: As part of her plea bargain, Jeanne became a second-year transferee in the Informa Side.
- Terrible Artist: For all her many talents, her drawing skill leaves to be desired.
- Tsurime Eyes
Number 2 of I-U, he's described as an immortal monster by Jeanne. He was the one who abducted Riko and kept her captive in her youth.
An Egyptian girl specialized in curses, golems, and the mental manipulation of all sorts of objects. She seeks to become I.U.'s leader by using Aria as a bargain chip against the "Professor".
The Professor (Sherlock Holmes)
The leader of I-U, who managed to appropriate many of the powers of its members. He's the 150 year old Sherlock Holmes, who wants to make Aria succeed him as the leader of I-U.
- Improbably High IQ: His reasonning skills are so sharp that they are close to prescience, according to himself.
- The Dreaded: We're talking about a man who can make an organization full of monsters with their own goals stick together. Kana starts to completely panic when she senses his approach.
- Mega Manning: He can use the techniques of various members of the I-U, including the one linked to their bloodlines, like Vlad's "Demonic Flute of Walachia" or Kin'ichi's Hysteria Agonisante.
- No Sell: He isn't blinded at all by the flash of Kinji's special bullet. That's because he's been blind for the last 50 years. Not that you would notice anything by looking at him…
- Older Than They Look: He sure is a lively and youthful 150-year-old. That doesn't mean he can sustain his body for much longer.
- Your Days Are Numbered: The day he appears before Aria is also the day he has predicted his own death.
Kin'ichi Tooyama/aka Kana
In Hysteria Mode.
Kinji's older brother who died at sea in an incident involving the Butei Killer. Revealed to have been alive in volume 3, working for I-U.
- As the Good Book Says: He does this when attacking.
- Broken Pedestal: Kinji used to look up to him before he died and was defamed partially as a result of his hysteria mode. He remains disillusioned, even after meeting him again.
- The Mole: He is actually trying to take down I-U by creating a power vacuum though his methods are...a bit extreme
- Quick Draw: His special technique, Invisibile, consists in drawing his gun and shooting literally faster than the eye can see. Lucky Luke is currently crying in his bed.
- Weapon of Choice: A Colt Peacemaker. It's the most adapted to execute the above technique.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: This is how he activates his hysteria mode.
Aria's mother currently spending an absurdly long 862 years
in prison for charges of being the "Butei Killer".
- Clear My Name: Aria's motivation for attending Butei High is to clear her of charges of being the "Butei Killer". If successful, she could shave off centuries of prison time for her, or perhaps even clear her altogether.
- The Scapegoat