Characters: Aria the Scarlet Ammo
open/close all folders
- Accidental Pervert: And considering how his power works, this can be a problem… or save his life.
- The Ace: In HSS mode, he's a Genius Lightning Bruiser and a smooth-talker to boot.
- Almighty Janitor: Especially in HSS, though it's hinted that normally he's stronger than his "E rank" would indicate.
- Badass Normal: He aced the Butei entrance exam and is shown to be highly competent even without HSS.
- Bishōnen: A borderline example.
- Blessed with Suck/Cursed with Awesome: HSS grants him superhuman abilities, but it is only activated by sexual arousal, and under such a state Kinji turns into a suave ladykiller, which he thinks is detrimental to his academic life.
- Bullet Time/Hyper Awareness: One of his powers under HSS.
- Butt Monkey: His girls love to make his life difficult for him and his flat.
- Chick Magnet: Has Aria, Shirayuki, Riko, and Reki after him. And that's just the top of the iceberg.
- Chivalrous Pervert/Insufferable Genius: While in HSS.... Which peeves him to no end.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: He has many female admirers. He either doesn't notice or chooses to ignore the signs.
- Deus Sex Machina: He needs to be sexually aroused (usually by experiencing Marshmallow Hell or kissing) to activate his HSS.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Dual Wielding: Latest light novel volumes promote him into the "third Quadra", after Aria and Riko.
- First Kiss: With Aria, which also doubles as a deliberate HSS activation to him.
- First-Person Smartass: Snarks a lot in his head.
- Humiliation Conga: He was forced to mull leaving Butei after he and his (supposedly-dead) older brother Kinichi was subjected to this after the latter's rescue attempt aboard a sinking ship, but with the shipping company unwilling to take responsibility and instead scapegoating him.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: After his Humiliation Conga, Kinji mulls leaving Butei High.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: By his classmates as one due to his closeness to the diminutive Aria. She is the most effective catalyst for his HSS. For example, in Episode 10, he managed to resist arousal from Riko in just her lingerie, but couldn't hold on any longer once he saw Aria taking off her socks.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: Aria keeps asserting that Kinji is her slave.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Ironically, by his own HSS-addled alter-ego. He knows it and hates that fact.
- Super Mode: His Hysteria Mode. He also has the "Berserk HSS" upgrade, which is triggered by jealousy.
- Super Reflexes: One of his Hysteria mode's powers.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Tsundere: Type A. He usually treats Aria with indifference but there are times when he is kind to her.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Unwanted Harem
- Weapon of Choice: A Beretta 92FS Inox modified to fire a three-round burst, which he conveniently names "Beretta Kinji Model", as well as a butterfly knife.
Aria Holmes Kanzaki
She is also the great-granddaughter of the most powerful and intelligent detective in history, Sherlock Holmes.
- The Ace: She's good at everything… except cooking.
- Action Girl
- A-Cup Angst
- Animal Motifs: Cats. She is fond of "Leopon" stuffed cats, some key scenes involving her have random purrs, and in Episode 2 she even growls like a cat. In Episode 6 Shirayuki even calls her a "thieving cat"note for freeloading with Kinji.
- Badass Adorable
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Shirayuki's Betty.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The redhead to blonde Riko and brunette Shirayuki.
- Catch Phrase:Japanese: "I'll blow a hole through you!"
English: "I'll pump you full of holes!"
- Child Prodigy
- Clear Their Name: Aria's primary motivation for attending Butei High is to help clear her mother, Kanae, of charges of being the "Butei Killer", which automatically sent her to 862 years in prison. If successful, Aria could shave off centuries of prison time for her, and at the best-case scenario, even clear her altogether.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She gets very jealous whenever Kinji gets too close to another girl.
- Cry Cute: A norm for Rie Kugimiya's roles.
- Curtains Match the Window: Aria's eyes and hair are reddish-pink. The 'Scarlet Bullet' changed her blond hair and blue eyes into the reddish-pink she has now.
- Cute Bruiser
- Cute Little Fangs: With feline tendencies to boot.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: On Kinji.
- Dual Wielding
- Famous Ancestor: She's the fourth-generation descendant of the titular Sherlock Holmes, explaining the "H" in her name.
- Fear of Thunder: She's quite afraid of thunder. This presents problems in missions where it's raining.
- Fiery Redhead
- First Kiss: With Kinji, which also doubles as a "Shut Up" Kiss to her in order to pacify her after she was revived after being critically hit in the chest by Riko.
- Forehead of Doom
- Girlish Pigtails
- Guns Akimbo
- Idiot Hair
- Lamarck Was Right: Averted. Supposedly, Aria is a deficient version of her great-grandfather, unable to solve cases with the Holmes deductive skills.
- Lethal Chef
- Little Miss Badass
- Luminescent Blush: Very prone to this.
- Miss Conception: She thinks kissing instantly leads to pregnancy.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: Keeps asserting that Kinji is her slave.
- The Musketeer: She fights with both guns and katanas.
- Mysterious Middle Initial: It stands for "Holmes", as in Sherlock Holmes.
- Ojou: Claims to be an "aristocrat".
- Older Than She Looks
- Omniglot: She knows seventeen languages.
- Pretty Freeloader
- Rapunzel Hair: Even with her Girlish Pigtails, her hair still reaches way below her knees.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Scars Are Forever: After a brush with death during the bus bomb incident, she has since kept a small X-shaped scar on her forehead (now hidden by her hair) as a reminder.
- Shana Clone: Short, aggressive, long red hair, Grade S Zettai Ryouiki, tsundere, has the same affection for peach buns that the original had for melon bread and voiced by Rie Kugimiya to boot. She's possibly the 5th Tsundere Wonder.
- The Three Faces of Eve: The Child (diminutive and temperamental, with bouts of innocence).
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: Her first request to Kinji is to become her slave. She later orders the same thing to Shirayuki, and sometimes talks about how she has to "train" them. Don't try to disobey, or she'll make you full of airholes.
- Token Mini-Moe
- Trademark Favorite Food: Peach buns.
- Trigger Happy: She is quick to use her guns when she gets angry.
- Tsundere: Type A; bossy, abrasive, and occasionally affectionate. Kinji notes that she smells 'sweet and sour'.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Riko.
- Weapon of Choice: A pair of M1911s and a pair of kodachis.
- According to IMFDB, her weapons are a pair of customized Colt Model Governments, which is a civilian variant of the of the military issued Colt 1911A1 used in World War II.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is pink.
- Zettai Ryouiki: A rare Rank S.
Miko of the Hotogi Shrine in Aomori Prefecture.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade
- Action Girl
- Alliterative Name: Himiko Hotogi
- Badass Adorable
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Aria's Veronica.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kind, affectionate, bashful, and when she heard that Shinji was threatened by a serial killer copycat, she started talking about lopping limbs off.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Most of the time, she's sweet, gentle and delicate. Until she switches to Yandere mode.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The brunette to blonde Riko and redhead Aria.
- Broken Bird: Implied — as a child she was not allowed to go outside, and was severely punished for going out with Kinji. She was also only able to attend Butei High due to her clan's approval.
- Childhood Friend Romance: This is her ultimate goal with Kinji.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Do not be within a 2 meter radius from Kinji in her presence.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Whenever she's slipping into Yandere mode, especially towards Aria.
- Famous Ancestor: Himiko, legendary shaman queen of Yamataikoku.
- First Kiss: With Kinji, though technically this is already the guy's second (the first being Aria, of course).
- Healing Hands
- Hime Cut
- Non-Indicative Name: Invoked as an alias.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Her katana, called "Irokane Ayame", forged from the Unobtanium of the same name.
- Lady of War
- Meaningful Name: Shirayuki means "white snow".
- Multi-Melee Master: Weapons include a katana and a kusarigama, among others.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest
- Playing with Fire: Her offensive magic is based on this, with Irokane Ayame acting as a Flaming Sword.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Student Council President
- Tareme Eyes: Being a shy, polite and demure girl. most of the time.
- The Three Faces of Eve: The Wife (a mild-mannered, albeit potentially violent Yamato Nadeshiko, who has considerable domestic skills, especially cooking, and extremely devoted to Kinji).
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A miko according to family tradition and practices with a katana.
- Yandere: Played for Laughs, in that she threatens "exorcism" to any girl who comes between her and Kinji (including his partner Aria).
- Yaoi Fangirl: Stated in the previews for the 11th episode, so it might not be canon.
- Amazon Brigade: Her clan, the Ulus.
- Badass Boast:"I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight toward its target."
- Savage Wolves: Haimaki used to be one of these but she tamed him via a bullet grazing through his spine. Now he recognizes her as his mistress, thus making him a Noble Wolf.
- Cold Sniper
- Emotionless Girl: As a member of the Ulus Tribe, she sealed away her emotions inside a sliver of irokane in exchange for efficiency and utter devotion to her chosen husband (i.e., Kinji).
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- Famous Ancestor: Genghis Khan, who roamed 12th-century Japan as famous general Minamoto no Yoshitsune.
- Fluffy Tamer: Her bullets alone could tame a giant Central Asian wolf.
- Idiot Hair: Sort of.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: She can even extend the effective range of her Dragunov from its standard 800 meters to 2,051 meters.
- Leit Motif: "Reki, Happou!"
- Mysterious Past
- Only One Name
- The Quiet One
- Rei Ayanami Expy
- She Cleans Up Nicely
- Small Girl, Big Gun
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Trademark Favorite Food: Energy bars for her, fish sausages for Haimaki.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: She proposes to Kinji while pointing the barrel of her Dragunov to him.
- Weapon of Choice: A Dragunov with a bayonet attached on its end.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Light-green hair, in her case.
Riko Mine Lupin IV
- Animal Motifs: Like Aria, Riko has her own share of feline characteristics, with her Cat Smile as the most evident one. Shirayuki even calls her "the other thieving cat".
- Badass Adorable
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The blonde to brunette Shirayuki and redhead Aria.
- Broken Bird: She's a complete orphan living at Vlad's mercy, brainwashed into joining I-U and attempting to slay Aria, a Holmes, in order to win back her precious rosary, her identity and her freedom... all for Vlad to extract DNA from Aria and create superior genes that allow him to evolve.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- But Not Too Foreign: She has French blood.
- Cat Smile: Which emphasizes her mischievous personality.
- Chekhov's Skill: She can imitate the voice of any person she wants to impersonate very well. This comes in handy soon afterwards.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Although she joins the Kinji-Aria team for good after they free her from Vlad's clutches.
- The Ditz: Though not nearly as much as she lets on, mind you.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French
- Famous Ancestor: Arsène Lupin.
- First Kiss: She shares hers with Kinji, which effectively makes it his third.
- Foil: To Aria.
- Freudian Excuse: Sick of being constantly referred to as "Lupin the 4th" by Vlad (pretending to be a relative) and treated as a defective descendant whose only worth is to serve as a womb to bear a superior 5th, Riko was forced to join I-U, hoping to kill a Holmes and finally break free of her great-grandfather's shadow.
- Gag Boobs
- Genki Girl
- Girlish Pigtails
- Good Bad Girl: A bright ray of good-natured sunshine who just happens to also be very frank and comfortable with her sexuality.
- Holding Both Sides of the Conversation: In Episode 11, to set off Kinji's HSS.
- I Am Not My Father: Ultimately subverted in the end, when, after defeating Vlad, who brainwashed her into doing his bidding by hammering the title onto her, she regains her pride of her heritage as Lupin the 4th.
- Knowledge Broker
- Lamarck Was Right: Averted. Supposedly, Riko is a deficient version of her great-grandfather; not as impressive a thief as a Lupin should be.
- Loss of Identity: Solves it in Volume 3 with Kinji and Aria's help.
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- Malicious Misnaming: She pronounces Aria's name like in French instead of the correct spelling i.e. "'Olmès" instead of "Holmes". Well... that's the idea at least. No-one in France actually pronounces it that way.
- Master of Disguise: Riko Mine is another thief character with the ability to disguise themselves excellently. Because she is the great-granddaughter of Arsene Lupin, and Holmes's nemesis.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- Otaku Surrogate
- Prehensile Hair
- Shameless Fanservice Girl
- Shout-Out: Not only is she known as "Lupin the 4th", her last name "Mine" is the same as Fujiko Mine from Lupin III.
- Signature Laugh: Kufu!
- Tareme Eyes
- Third-Person Person: Except when she is serious.
- Third-Option Love Interest: She is the third major member of Kinji's harem.
- The Three Faces of Eve: The Seductress (extremely flirty around Kinji, and knows how to use her womanly charms very well).
- Trademark Favorite Food: Strawberry au lait.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: She loves hiding things sizable enough to fit between her firm and ample breasts.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Aria.
- Voice Changeling: One of her talents as a Master of Disguise. She can for example, imitate Aria's voice perfectly to trigger Kinji's Hysteria Mode.
- Weapon of Choice: A pair of Walther P99s and a pair of knives.
Voiced by: Takayuki Kondō (Japanese) and Ricco Fajardo (English)Kinji's good friend from the Logi Side.
- Ace Pilot
- Awesome, but Impractical: His Colt Python uses .357 Magnum rounds. It packs a lot of punch, but has small capacity and poor accuracy.
- Bromantic Foil: For Kinji.
- Handsome Lech
- Otaku: For anything vehicle-related.
- Weapon of Choice: A Colt Python.
Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi (Japanese) and Chris Cason (English)Another of Kinji's friends and classmate in the Assault Side.
- The Ace: He's a Rank-A Butei.
- Bash Brothers: He and Kinji used to be paired together prior to the latter's transfer to Inquest. Upon returning to Assault, however, Kinji already paired up with Aria.
- Chick Magnet: He's got a lot of fangirls, although he admits he hasn't had a girlfriend yet.
- Weapon of Choice: A Heckler & Koch Mk.23 with a laser pointer.
- Mission Control
- Not Good with People: More like unable to communicate well without her equipment. This is what's keeping her stuck as a B-Rank despite being an excellent Mission Control.
- Odd Friendship: With Jeanne.
- Shrinking Violet: Outside her duty.
- Hot Teacher
- Nice Girl: She's apparently one of the few faculty members of Butei High without at least some military experience.
Voiced by: Masumi Asano (Japanese) and Erica Harte (English)Homeroom teacher of Class 2-B and instructor of Dagula Side.
- Badass Teacher: She's one of the top five interrogators of Japan, able to extract information from even the most hardened offenders.
- Hot Teacher
- Smoking Is Cool
Jeanne d'Arc XXX
- The Ace: With everything that's not drawing.
- Action Girl
- Born in the Wrong Century: As noted by Kinji, Jeanne shows shades of this. She's refined, wears plate mail, wields a zweihander (two-handed sword), doesn't know what a vending machine is, and dislikes skimpy clothing (including modern school uniforms, even her Butei uniform). This may have stemmed from growing up without seeing the world beyond I-U's auspices.
- Broken Bird
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Thanks to fellow Frenchwoman Riko's influence, the once very conservative Jeanne is starting to collect Meido uniforms, Elegant Gothic Lolita outfits, etc.
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Elemental Hair: Has snow-white hair and ice powers.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French
- Expy: She could be easily mistaken for a younger, Francophone Saber Lily with longer silver hair, shorter skirt, and a near-identical sword — with the same seiyuu to boot, to near-Casting Gag levels.
- Famous Ancestor: Her name alone should be a giveaway already.
- An Ice Person
- Jeanne d'Archétype
- Lady of War
- Meganekko: Occasionally.
- Mystical White Hair
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "Durandal", as she was known during her days at the I-U.
- New Transfer Student: As part of her plea bargain, Jeanne became a second-year transferee in the Informa Side.
- Terrible Artist: For all her many talents, her drawing skill leaves to be desired.
- Tsurime Eyes
Vlad DraculaNumber 2 of I-U, he's described as an immortal monster by Jeanne.
- Annoying Laugh: His laugh sounds like he's gargling.
- Big Bad: For the first three light novel volumes and the anime adaptation.
- Evilutionary Biologist: He collects blood from countless people (including Butei High students) to absorb "superior" genes and evolve.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Most apparent when he brutally beats Riko up.
- Bishōnen: In his human form.
- Magic Pants: During his One-Winged Angel sequence.
- One-Winged Angel: In the form of a giant canine beast.
- Split Personality: Tooru Sayonaki is not only a human form, but also a separate persona he made to meddle with humans more easily.
- Wicked Cultured: He is Count Dracula, after all.
- Would Hit a Girl: Just see what he does to Riko in Episode 12.
An Egyptian girl specialized in curses, golems, and the mental manipulation of all sorts of objects. She seeks to become I.U.'s leader by using Aria as a bargain chip against the "Professor".
- Amplifier Artifact: Pyramid-shaped buildings apparently multiply her magical power greatly. Hence why her personal ship is shaped this way.
- Antiquated Linguistics: Full with the pronoun "warawa", and using the copula "ja" (weirdly written ぢゃ).
- Does Not Like Men: However, if they dress like a pretty woman, she can tolerate them.
- Famous Ancestor: Cleopatra VII, Queen of Egypt, to the surprise of no one.
- Fanservice Pack: In the manga she seems to become more busty with each passing chapter.
- Healing Hands: Another one of her powers, as shown in chapter 59 when she heals Kin'ichi's heart wound.
- Oh Crap!: She has this reaction when the Scarlet Bullet within Aria awakens.Patra: "What is that… I am feeling… fear…?!"
- Small Name, Big Ego: Well her ancestor is quite big, but she's clearly not among the top tier of I.U.'s members, despite all her talk about her "infinite power".
- Tsundere: For her hostility towards Kin'ichi/Kana she has an obvious crush on him/her. When they are shot in the heart by Sherlock Holmes, she flips out and breaks out of her coffin to heal them.
- Vapor Wear: It seems that way at first, but when she receives Clothing Damage it turns out she does have underwear. Their usefulness is questionable though.
The Professor (Sherlock Holmes)The leader of I-U, who managed to appropriate many of the powers of its members. He's the 150 year old Sherlock Holmes, who wants to make Aria succeed him as the leader of I-U.
- Improbably High I.Q.: His reasonning skills are so sharp that they are close to prescience, according to himself.
- The Dreaded: We're talking about a man who can make an organization full of monsters with their own goals stick together. Kana starts to completely panic when she senses his approach.
- Mega Manning: He can use the techniques of various members of the I-U, including the one linked to their bloodlines, like Vlad's "Demonic Flute of Walachia" or Kin'ichi's Hysteria Agonisante.
- No Sell: He isn't blinded at all by the flash of Kinji's special bullet. That's because he's been blind for the last 50 years. Not that you would notice anything by looking at him…
- Older Than They Look: He sure is a lively and youthful 150-year-old. That doesn't mean he can sustain his body for much longer.
- Your Days Are Numbered: The day he appears before Aria is also the day he has predicted his own death.
Kin'ichi Tooyama/aka Kana
Kinji's older brother who died at sea in an incident involving the Butei Killer.
- As the Good Book Says: He does this when attacking.
- Broken Pedestal: Kinji used to look up to him before he died and was defamed partially as a result of his hysteria mode. He remains disillusioned, even after meeting him again.
- The Mole: He is actually trying to take down I-U by creating a power vacuum though his methods are...a bit extreme
- Quick Draw: His special technique, Invisibile, consists in drawing his gun and shooting literally faster than the eye can see. Lucky Luke is currently crying in his bed.
- Weapon of Choice: A Colt Peacemaker. It's the most adapted to execute the above technique.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: This is how he activates his hysteria mode.