open/close all folders
Voiced by: Erino Hazuki
The main character. An immigrant from Japan, Manhome who comes to Aqua to become an undine. Normally shown as a very cheerful person. Has a strange tendency to draw supernatural phenomena to her.
- Catch Phrase:
- She frequently pronounces "hai!" as "hahi!".
- She also tends to go "Ehhhh?" a lot, especially in response to Aika's own admonishing Catch Phrase. Aika immediately knows something is wrong when Akira doesn't respond with that.
- In one episode/chapter, Aika claims Akari tends to get distracted and say "Ah, suteki!" which means "oh, it's wonderful," or more contextually, "Ooh, that's neat!" but this isn't really shown in practice, though.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Does Not Like Shoes: Even though she has galoshes, Akari prefers to go barefoot when she's wading through the waterlogged streets, mostly because she enjoys the cold sensation of the water and the stone paving under her feet. Should one galosh slip off in the water, she's more inclined to pull the other one off and leave them off.
- Friend to All Living Things: Not only does she befriend nearly every human she meets, but several animals and even a snow bug as well. She even feels sorry for some chocolate candies that won't get eaten because they got dropped onto the ground! Cranked up to eleven, even her gondola (in the form of an elderly man) put an umbrella over her, and if you believe her idea of who Cait Sith is, the entire spirit world of Aqua looks after her. In short, friend to all living things, and many NON-living things to boot.
- Genki Girl
- Genre Savvy: After her first few encounters with Cait Sith, Akari quickly learns to recognize when he's going to be around during one of her mythical experiences.
- Love Freak: Probably everyone's trait, but it's especially apparent with Akari.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her "sideburns" get so long by the epilogue that she's able to loop them back around into a ponytail! How she doesn't catch her oar in those loops is anyone's guess.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Her relationship with Alicia certainly has elements of this, which culminates in the Arietta OVA.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: The poster girl of the trope. Her pink hair matches perfectly with her cheerful, sweet and naive personality.
- She Is All Grown Up: In the anime she's the only one out of her and her two friends that's shown after reaching adulthood. In the manga she's the last one to be shown.
- Ship Tease: With Akatsuki, but also with Alicia, so much that Alicia's unexpected marriage outraged quite a few yuri fans.
- Tearful Smile: When Alicia "disappeared" after she told Akari she planned to retire.
- Weirdness Magnet:
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: The absolute queen of this trope.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She's on her way.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is pink.
One of the three Water Fairies, Akari's tutor. Current manager of ARIA Company. She's known by the title "Snow White", and is currently the most popular undine in the city.
- But Now I Must Go: After Akari becomes a prima, she suddenly reveals that she'll leave Aria Company.
- Catch Phrase: "Ara ara" ("well well"), usually followed by a giggle, emphasizing her easy-going nature. They note she'd more likely say that than scold someone. They're right.
- Last Minute Hookup: Gets married in the last chapter/episode with little/no foreshadowing.
- Onee-sama: So very much.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Akari
- Ship Tease: With Akari, most prominently in the Arietta OVA.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Does this a from time to time, though it usually happens in the later chapters rather than the earlier ones.
- Troll: As expect of this show, it is played very lightly and not malicious at all, but she has her moments.
- Yamato Nadeshiko
Voiced by: Yoshiko Matsuo
Better known as Grandma. Legendary Undine and the founder of ARIA Company. Originally she's from Himeya Company, but break off after meeting with President Aria. Currently lives in countryside.
Originally an anime-only character. Ai is Akari's customer in the first episode of the anime (in place of an old man in the equivalent manga story), and serves as the character that Akari corresponds with (in place of her unknown readers in the manga). Gets Canon Immigrant
treatment in the last chapter of the manga.
Grandma's apprentice before Alicia. Left the company after Alicia became Prima. Currently has a family.
President Aria Pokoteng
ARIA Company's president. Can be considered as a B Side
main character. A Martian cat that Akino met, and with whom she founded ARIA Company.
Aika S. Granzchesta
Daughter of the owner of Himeya and its heir. Akari's first friend on Aqua. Has a crush on Alicia and later Al.
Akira E. Ferrari
- Catch Phrase / Mad Libs Catch Phrase: She often says something like "__________ is/are not allowed!":
- Most commonly, "Embarrassing remarks are not allowed!", or in the original Japanese, "Hazukashii serifu kinshi!", often several times an episode.
- This backfires on her in Chapter 8 of "Aria" when she accidentally lets slip a corny remark, resulting in Akari taking the opportunity to use her catchphrase against her.
- She also tells herself that on a few occasion when she says or even thinks something she finds embarrassing.
- "Old-man jokes remarks are not allowed!" is the second most common, directed at Al when he makes a pun.
- Hair Decorations
- Girlish Pigtails
- Important Haircut: She used to have long hair, as she wanted to be like Alicia. However, it got burned, and she had to cut it short. At the same time, she realised it was better she was her own person, though she still looks up at Alicia as a role model.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Though a very light version.
- Meaningful Name: Grantchester is a village upriver of Cambridge, England, and a popular destination for summer punting trips.
- Mood-Swinger: Aika can swing between energetic, down-to-earth, lovestruck and crybaby pretty convincingly.
- Stalker with a Crush: In the beginning of the series, she exhibits this toward Alicia.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Zettai Ryouiki: Only once in the anime.
One of the three Water Fairies, Aika's tutor. She's known by the title of "Crimson Rose" for her conversation skill with customers. Tomboyish enough that she can be considered as The Lad-ette
(especially with Akatsuki mistaking her as a boy when they're children).
Ayumi K. Jasmine
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She is tall, beautiful, has a number of admirers, mostly female, and behaves in a composed lady-like manner. In front of customers, anyway.
- Badass Normal
- Can't Hold Her Liquor
- Catch Phrase: She often shouts "Suwa!" when the Undines practicing make a mistake.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Accused of being one, but she's really not that bad... maybe.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Averted. The only reason she's able to be one of the Water Fairies is because she works really hard. As she said, she has no notable talents like her friends Alicia or Athena have, so hard work is all she can do to make up for it.
- The Lad-ette: Except the drinking part — she can barely hold liquor, especially compared to Alicia, who can hold massive amounts.
- Rapunzel Hair
One of the trainees that Akari met when she works at Traghetto. Quite a cheerful person.
President Hime M. Granzchesta
Himeya's president. A cat from Manhome. Quite aloof. President Aria has a crush on her.
A trainee for Orange Planet. Is considered to be a prodigy because of her gondola skills despite the fact she is still in middle school when she is recruited. A real Deadpan Snarker
One of the three Water Fairies, Alice's tutor. She's known by the title of "Siren" for her beautiful singing voice. Very clumsy (but see below).
One of the trainees that Akari met when she works at Traghetto. A bit of Yamato Nadeshiko
One of the trainees that Akari met when she works at Traghetto. Very shy.
- Determinator: Has failed the Prima exam several times, but hasn't given up yet.
Orange Planet's president. Originally found as a stray by Alice, who picks her
up to take care of. Has a habit of biting President Aria's belly.
- Your Tomcat Is Pregnant: Was thought by Alice to be a male cat until the vet reveals this fact. Without the pregnancy, though.
He works in one of the floating islands as a Salamander, controlling weather on the planet. Has a crush on Alicia (who claims to assume instead it's on Akari). Akari's first customer.
Ayanokohji Udo the 51st
Better known as Woody, he works as Sylph, an airbike courier delivering goods in a city without streets. Has quite a bad sense of direction.
- No Sense of Direction: His first appearence have him lost a map and need Akari's help to navigate the city.
- Transplant: It's either this or he's descendant from Ayanokohji Udo from Amano's earlier work Roman Club considering that they have same name, look, and even personality.
Working as a Gnome, people who works in gravity control system underground. Aika has a crush on him. Older than he looks
- Don't Explain the Joke: He always does when he makes an-
- Expy: It's almost impossible to not compare his appearance with Harry Potter.
- Older Than They Look: Looks like a cute little boy, even though he's 18.
- Pun: He often makes "old man" jokes with these. They're so old (and originally from Manhome) that he has to explain them every time.
- Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome: The only logical explanation for him growing at least a foot taller at the end of the final episode but before the timeskip epilogue.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Happens every now and then.
Voiced by: Motomu Kiyokawa
Better known as Mr. Postman, as Akari calls him. Works for the Neo-Venizia post office and gives Akari first trip in gondola. His name is not revealed until near the end of the series.
Mysterious Mega Neko
that appears throughout the work, especially when the supernatural is involved, to Akari especially. Is the King of the Cats of Neo-Venezia, named after the king of the cats of Scottish folklore, and it is strongly suggested he is a guardian spirit of Aqua.