Happy Ness: The Secret of the Loch is a children's cartoon that aired in 1994-1995. It was produced by Abrams Gentile Entertainment, and C&Dnote .
A timeless tale of hope, wonder, and dreams-come-true, brings to life the fascinating world of the legendary Loch Ness Monster, showcasing them in a rainbow-colored world of music and song.
When the McJoy children, Halsey, Hayden and Hanna stumble upon a secret subterranean paradise, they are taken by Sir Angus Prize into the land of the Nessies. Together with Happy Ness, Queen of Happy Land, and a bevy of delightful sea creatures, they embark on a series of amazing adventures. Along the way, you can be sure they'll be on the lookout for Pompous Ness, Queen of Gloom Lagoon, and her court of naughty Nessies who are always ready to spoil the fun. Part fable, part fantasy and all fun, Happy Ness: The Secret of the Loch adds up to an original musical, magical adventure for children of all ages.
Not to be confused with The Family-Ness which is another similar themed also British series which aired a decade earlier and used the same "-Ness suffix denotes personalities of a group of Loch Ness monsters" concept.
All you have to do is believe!
This show contains examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: All the Nessies come in many different colors.
- Anthropomorphic Personification / Meaningful Name: The Nessies' personalities and names are befitting.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Pompous Ness lives up to this to a T.
- Bookworm: Bright Ness. She has a tendency to read books a lot. Her Loch-ket even has an image of a book on it.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: Happy Ness uses a spell to send a "Ness Bless'' (transferring her happiness to a desired target)."Time to send a part of me through the air and through the sea! I'll give thee some happiness by sending a magical ... Ness Bless!"
- Clamshell Currency: Seashells are the Nessies' money.
- Cool Old Guy: Sir Angus Prize.
- Cool Shades: Cool Ness wears them.
- Court Jester: Silly Ness, who is dressed up in jester attire.
- The Cutie: Cute Ness. She lives up to this to the fullest.
- Dark Is Evil: Dark Ness, who can shroud areas in darkness.
- Edutainment Show: The show teaches its viewers about emotional problems and how they can be overcome.
- Fiery Redhead: Hanna, while her brothers share her hair color, she’s the most energetic of the three.
- Fictional Currency: Sand Dollars. Note that these are really used as the currency in the Land of Nessies.
- Flight: An ability that all Nessies share.
- Hardboiled Detective: Eliot Ness.
- Immortality Inducer: Sir Prize has a trinket that holds a part of who he is inside that keeps him forever young.
- Invisibility: Sir Prize and the Nessies use their trinkets to render themselves invisible to the eyes of the outside world.
- It's All About Me: Selfish Ness. He thinks only of himself and not others. However, he's as loyal as ever to Pompous Ness.
- Magical Accessory: The Nessies' Loch-kets. These can transfer their emotions to any desired target.
- Mistaken for Afterlife: The McJoy children initially think this of Sir Prize the first time they meet him.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: The Nessies look like a cross between seahorses, actual horses, swans and dragons. Their heads look like those of stylized horses or cutesy dragons, bodies like seahorses and their long necks and flippers resemble the necks and wings of a swan.
- No Indoor Voice: Loud Ness always sounds loud whenever he speaks, no matter what.
- Opaque Lenses: Cool Ness admits that he can’t see well through his Cool Shades in "Circle of De-Light" which leads him getting tricked by the (Paper-Thin Disguise poorly disguised) Gloom Lagoon Nessies.
- Punny Name: Sir Prize = Surprise.
- And for that matter, all of the Nessies' names.
- Queens Prefer Pink / Pink Heroine: Happy Ness, the leader of the good Nessies, is pink in color.
- Princesses Rule: Subverted, both Happy Ness and Pompous Ness are queens of their respective lands.
- Quicksand Sucks: Rich Ness finds himself in trouble after discovering he's blundered into a quicksand bog.
- Ship Tease: Bright Ness gives Cool Ness a kiss on the cheek when he offers to help her take care of the Nessies' Loch-ets in "Circle of De-Light" resulting in him blushing.
- Tears of Joy: Sad Ness starts shedding these at the end of the episode "It's Not Bad to Be Sad".
- Theme Tune Roll Call: While neither the opening or ending themes do this, the song that appears in the first episode does this at one point.
- Trojan Nessie: One is built from emotional wood in order to help Rich Ness get back into his nest when Pompous Ness locks him out.
- Villain Song / "I Want" Song: "I Wanna be Rich", the song Pompous Ness sings in the episode "Money Can't Buy Happy Ness".
- Water Is Dry: No matter how many times a character enters water, they always seem to come out dry.
- You Have Outlived Your Useful Ness: Pompous Ness dismisses Useful Ness once she has no further need of him.
- There's a world of Nessies, and they're all a part of you.