The Head is a animated series that aired on MTV from 1994-1996 about a young man named Jim, who wakes up one day to find his head enlarged thanks to a purple alien named Roy residing in it. Together they and several other friends go on adventures.
The complete series can be seen on MTV's Liquid Television site, which can be found here. Unfortunately the episode "Return of the Spider" is currently unavailable.
The Head provides tropes of:
- Animation Bump: The first three and a half minutes of the first episode looks crude compared to the rest of the series.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Dr. Elliot in the opening Alien Invasion arc. He had more screen time than the alien villains, but the invasion was always the real threat.
- Bond Creatures: Roy is able to communicate with Jim when they're far apart.
- The Cameo: In the first episode, Butthead gives the federal agents a tape recording of a eye witness news report involving Roy's attack from earlier in the episode, then he gets kicked out.
- Evil Counterpart: Gork to Roy, Dr. Elliot to Dr. Axel.
- Expy: Dr. Axel looks pretty much like a middle-aged Beavis.
- Mad Scientist: Not how the trope usually plays out, as he's a Punch-Clock Villain rather than a Diabolical Mastermind, but Dr. Elliot starts out as a Cloud Cuckoolander and just gets worse from there, to the point that his mooks eventually mutiny against him.
- Noodle People: Chen, a Chinese man who was born with extremely long arms and legs.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Roy, due to his name being unpronounceable in human speech (actually "I'm from outer space" backwards).
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Roy's idea of fitting in with humans was just him wearing shades. It worked well at first, until he took them off.
- Psychic Powers: Gork has telekinetic powers and Roy is telepathic.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Madelyne and Dr. Axel aside, Jim's friends are an alien, a guy with a propeller blade stuck in his face, a guy with a fishbowl stuck in his mouth, a guy with a extra mouth on his stomach, a guy with long arms and legs, a lady with a large nose and a lady with shiny hair (and a tail).
- Sdrawkcab Speech: The alien's language, with some words being forwards.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Marshall and Smithy, Dr. Elliot's fed henchmen.
- Took a Level in Badass: At the start of the series, Jim didn't have any confidence in himself. But with Roy's help, he was able to gain his confidence, make friends, get a girlfriend and save the world.
- Unreliable Narrator: In the first episode, a thug who was spared from the attack by Roy, tells his own story of the attack on the news, which depicts the thugs as innocent and Jim as the thug.