Hello. I am a female twenty-something working to save enough to move out of state, who somehow manages to have low self-esteem and be egotistical at the same time. Or maybe different times. I tend to be stubborn at home and a pushover in public places. I have a tendency to become serially obsessed with different works of fiction, in particular video games and cartoons, based on the casts therein. My favorite characters tend to have one or more of the following traits: being either extremely stubborn or extremely acquiescent, having a major nerdy, creative, or pop-cultural hobby, being either way too nice or way too honest or both, being introverted or shy, being cynical, skeptical, or negative, or openly defying gender stereotypes. I also, as a bonus, love characters who are support workers, are anthropomorphic felines, have tragic backstories or bad luck, or are interesting in their own right and represent a minority demographic. I also have a weird bias toward supporting characters that is opposite to a lot of people's insistence on representation appearing on protagonists.
I also love voice actors. Maybe it's because I love cartoons and video games so much, but I think they're often even more talented than the more famous screen-actors, (though there are some like Rick Moranis, Alan Rickman, and Wallace Shawn whom I absolutely love). My favorite actor would have to be Rob Paulsen for many reasons. I would have been sold on him with the resume "PJ and" (that is PJ + other things I was familiar with), but he played not just one of my identity characters, but seven of my favorite characters in-series: Yakko Warner, Pinky, Carl Wheezer, Antoine D'Coolette, the Box Ghost, Gordon and of course PJ himself. An eighth honorable mention is Donatello in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series, which I haven't seen, but Donatello was my favorite in the 1987 version. Speaking of which, he certainly didn't skimp on playing non-favorites in things I loved either. Nor has he been typecast into one personality or vocal style, and whether he's moping or snarking or being The Ditz or a wimp or a tough guy, he always plays it very well.
I have created eight work pages on TV Tropes: the Pelswick and Olde English Comedy pages for things that I'm a fan of (and I have actually gotten recognition for the latter here. The former I'm happy has attained another regular updater.) The third is Bradley and Gary which is a fledgling show my brother is in the production of. The fourth was Eureeka's Castle, for a show I loved as a kid. I thought it already had a page, but could find no evidence of it later, which compelled me to write it. The fifth is an album-based musical called The Silent City. The sixth and seventh are Wat's Pig and Not Without My Handbag, two more obscure Aardman shorts. The eighth is a You Tube Poop series known as The Gaston Trilogy.
- Goof Troop and A Goofy Movie
- Fire Emblem Tellius
- Tomodachi Life
- Total Drama (to a lesser extent)
Tropes and other pages I've edited in significant ways:
- The Woobie: Curated Western Animation subpage for misuse for a time, but have become too busy to keep up with it
- Fat Comic Relief: Helped revamp the draft's definition to replace the ill-defined and understandably misused former version "The Fat Guy"
- How To Write An Example: Added some missing common and trope-specific "examples"
- Characters.The Shawshank Redemption: Not a work page I spent a lot of time curating, but because when I saw the movie almost all the examples on the page were Zero Context Examples, I did a one-shot attempt of expanding all the examples. I haven't gone back and looked at it since, though.
I unfortunately have never successfully created a trope page.
I lurk in the workshops a lot but very rarely say anything. Usually I only argue if my opinion on the matter is a) strong and b) underrepresented, though I do try to vote in every Wiki Talk crowner (except for the OTC moderator one which I felt was not my business), and in many of the ones in the Crowners in Need of More Votes thread. When the arguments do come up, I'm usually in favor of keeping features but making them as correct-to-use as possible. By the way, in case you have seen me on the forum, my avatar is Vice Principal Zeigler from Pelswick, who is not my favorite character from the show but is awesome anyway.
And now that I've discovered the Western Animation and Fan Fic forums, I've started posting more frequently. It may have finally happened that I've become addicted to the TV Tropes Forum too. Great.
Sometimes in Ask The Tropers, You Know That Show, Trope Finder, and the Frequently Asked Questions subforum, I will try to answer people's inquiries. I've been around here for a pretty long time, so I know a lot of tropes and the rules. Though I have been ninja'd before, which is kind of awkward for someone who speaks so scarcely and carefully, even over the internet. Not as awkward though, as when the information I give turns out to be incomplete (rule-wise) or incorrect (trope-wise).
General examples around the site that may be written by me:
If the example is from one of the series below, there is at least a decent chance I put the example on. Granted, there are other examples I have written, but those are the big chances. Especially if it's a Fire Emblem Tellius or Goof Troop example.
I occasionally go into Wild Mass Guessing, although not as often as some other subpages. Fridge Brilliance and Fridge Horror is a favorite of mine, as is Headscratchers. The YMMV subpages I usually don't add stuff to unless I'm moving it or changing it. The Goof Troop page is an exception, as the fanbase is small and I am a huge fan which means that I a) get a pretty good view of it and b) have gotten to some Audience Reactions first. I also occasionally add YMMV to Zootopia.
I love the more obscure ensemble tropes, especially the Four-Temperament Ensemble and the Four-Philosophy Ensemble. I try to find a solid case that a group is an example of the ensemble before adding it. For example, I deduced that Goof Troop was not a Four-Temperament Ensemble because there are no phlegmatic characters. I decided it was a Four-Philosophy Ensemble by analyzing the traits against the four main characters.
I also love music of all kinds including well-known and well-received music, music with huge Hatedoms, music that no one has ever heard of, music that people know but has an esoteric origin etc. I have created a 10-200 song playlist based on all of the following canons:
- Fire Emblem Tellius (185 songs)
- El Goonish Shive (184 songs)
- Harry Potter (132 songs)
- The Simpsons (77 songs)
- Total Drama (74 songs)
- Grimm (64 songs)
- Fire Emblem Elibe (60 songs)
- Tales of Symphonia (60 songs)
- Fire Emblem Awakening (57 songs)
- Penny and Aggie + QUILTBAG (55 songs)
- Zootopia (49 songs)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (40 songs; this one is the only one made with official music)
- Fruits Basket (36 songs)
- Firefly (36 songs)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (36 songs—incomplete)
- Hey Arnold! (30 songs)
- Goof Troop and A Goofy Movie/An Extremely Goofy Movie (29 songs)
- How I Met Your Mother (29 songs)
- The Women Of Brewster Place and The Men Of Brewster Place (20 songs)
- Spongebob Squarepants (19 songs)
- Mansfield Park (19 songs)
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (19 songs)
- Lord of the Flies (17 songs)
- Cheers (16 songs)
- Harvest Moon (15 songs)
- South Park (15 songs)
- A comic I wrote myself (36 songs)
I run a blog about these playlists at canoncompanions.tumblr.com
- People who try to use illogical arguments to prove me wrong. Sadly, this happens extremely often.
- Diplomacy. Specifically the "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything" mentality.
- People who call all their political opponents stupid or evil without actually bothering to research what they really want.
- Any Double Standard. Especially those that adversely affect a group that gets little attention from the "politically correct" people.
- Hypocrisy and arbitrary distinctions in general.
Fan Fiction Pet Peeves:
- Character Derailment of my Author Avatar by proxy
- Shipping of my Author Avatar by proxy in any pairing he (and it is usually a he) would probably not consent to regardless of sexual orientation (since he seems unusually likely to be Ambiguously Gay).
- Die for Our Ship. There are other ways.
Things that amuse me in Fan Fiction reviews:
- I hate Genre/Pairing X, but I loved your story!
- Your characterization of (Author Avatar by proxy) is perfect!
- Superlative statements (found mostly in the Total Drama fandom)
- I didn't like it but I did (or I liked it but I didn't)
- Incomprehensible neutral review
Author Avatar by proxy:
- Homestar Runner era: Strong Sad
- Fire Emblem Tellius era: Soren
- Total Drama era: Noah
- Goof Troop era: PJ
- Zootopia era: Bogo or Clawhauser, depending on the context
Some of my Fan Fiction:
- Total Drama Emblem
- Total Drama Fortess
- The Nerd Quadrilateral Variety Show
- Unsustainable Time Loop
- Never Before, Never After
- Faces of Battle
- The Happy Family
- Different yet the Same
- Sixteen Is the Magic Number
- Saffron Field
- Oh, Geoffrey!
- Stories from the Fort
- Trapped Alone
- Ned vs. the Seven Deadly Sins
- Day Under the Sun
- Concession Stand of Horrors
- A Pete Movie
- Goofeelings (conceptual crossover with Inside Out)
- Tying Knots
- Double the Love
My fan blogs:
I run or ran eight fan blogs on tumblr:
PJ Pete Is Awesome (pjpeteisawesome): Where I post my long-winded analyses about Goof Troop as well as other observations, centered specifically around Pete and PJ. Mostly dormant now.
The Disney Exiles (disneyexiles): Scraps relating to any and all of my favorite Disney material that is not DAC or Pixar (including Toon Disney, ABC originals, Muppet Studios, WDTA movies, Touchstone, live-action Disney movies, and movies that were released under the Disney brand but made under another... so far). Only contains certain Goof Troop commentary that is wholly unrelated to Pete and PJ, but some of it's under personal instead.
Notable Tomodachi Escapades (tomodachi-escapades): Where I posted relationship progress, coincidences, irony, and notable food list facts in my Tomodachi Life game, until my 3DS broke and I restarted when I replaced it.
Canon Companions Guide (canoncompanions): Advertised above, this is where I post the track listings and some interesting properties of my work-based playlists. Updates sporadically.
Fire Emblem Aphorisms (fireemblemaphorisms): Very few posts, and mostly dormant, because it only includes quote posts. Direct quotes from Fire Emblem games that sound like good points for philosophy or life advice.
The Logic of Ike and Soren (thelogicofikeandsoren): Deductive and inductive arguments in favor of the SS Ike and Soren. Mostly dormant now.
My Zootopia fandom blog without a real title (zootopiagush): Skits, analysis posts, story ideas, and art and gifset reblogs about Zootopia, with a focus on Bogo and Clawhauser, both individually and as a couple. My most popular and well-received blog to date.
My personal blog (same url as username here) is a sporadic mix of other stuff, mostly not original content.