- Cash Cow Franchise: While they certainly have many other IPs that are popular and profitable, this is the video game franchise that turned Square Enix into a powerhouse publisher and made them kings of the JRPG genre.
- Creator's Favorite: Yoshitaka Amano has stated that of all characters he has drawn for Final Fantasy, Terra Branford from Final Fantasy VI is his favorite.
- Dueling Games: Before Square and Enix merged, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were very much rivals of one another. Even today (mainly in Japan), there is still some rivalry over which series is better.
- And within the Broken Base of Final Fantasy fandom, while many different games' fans are at each other's throats, likely the best-known rivalry is between fans of Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VI, with many of the latter resenting the former's popularity, which is believed to be undeserved as compared to their own game, and the former thinking (if they care at all) that the title of best FF game is theirs and the old-school fans need to get over themselves already. This usually manifests itself as fighting over which game had the coolest villain.
- Magnum Opus Dissonance: Hironobu Sakaguchi considers IX the best title in the series. The game received mixed reactions and sold the least copies of all the PlayStation 1 installments of the franchise.
- Meaningful Name: A lot of the names in the FF world draw upon mythology, religious beliefs, and fiction. A good example is all of the summons, who are named after mythical figures, places, or objects such as Leviathan, Kujata, Shiva, Hades, and Ark to name a few.
- Some of the weapons are named after legendary ones such as Excalibur, Masamune, Gigas, and so forth.
- Certain spell names are obviously what they do also.
- Name's the Same: Elmyra Gainsborough has nothing to do with that other Elmyra who wants to love you and squeeze you into itty-bitty pieces.
- The Wiki Rule: Right here.
Trivia / Final Fantasy