- Development Hell: Although it mercifully never went through this stage, Lightning Returns is an end result of this trope affecting the first game in pre-production, back when the Fabula Nova Crystallis series was supposed to be a set of Action RPGs.
- Fan Nickname: Final Fantasy XIII-3 (which was trademarked by Square Enix before the game's actual name was announced).
- No Export for You: The epilogue novella Final Fantasy XIII: Reminiscence -tracer of memories- has never been released outside of Japan. A complete English translation was done by fan translators on Tumblr.
- Shrug of God: Regarding the ending, when asked whether the new world Bhunivelze created actually was Earth, Motomu Toriyama was quite coy in his answer, merely saying it's "similar."
- The Other Darrin:
- What Could Have Been:
- A brief Q&A with Motomu Toriyama in the Lightning Returns Ultimania artbook reveals there was another version of the ending that was considered in development (that Lightning would either actually meet up with the other main characters or if not, then at least talk to them via smartphone) but in the end it was decided that since the trilogy debuted with solely Lightning, the ending should solely focus on her.
- There was supposed to be an Interquel novel called Chronicle of Chaotic Age that would have bridged the gap between Final Fantasy XIII-2 and this game (focused mainly on Hope, Snow, and Noel), but it was canceled due to an illness of the author. Elements of it were later incorporated into an epilogue novella titled "Final Fantasy XIII: Reminiscence -tracer of memories-"
- The Wiki Rule: The Final Fantasy Wiki.
Trivia / Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII