It's Showtime is a Philippine noontime musical variety show broadcast on ABS-CBN. The show is also broadcast worldwide through The Filipino Channel.
The show is currently ABS-CBN's longest-running daily noontime variety show, having surpassed the original run of Magandang Tanghali Bayan (lit. Good Afternoon, Nation) which aired from 1998 to 2005. It's Showtime was initially aired as a variety talent show before Wowowee, as a replacement for the SMS-themed game show Pilipinas, Game Ka Na Ba?, with its contestants mostly comprising of dance groups from throughout the country, but following a pair of short-lived variety shows which filled in the time slot of the beleaguered Wowowee, namely Pilipinas Win Na Win and Happy Yipee Yehey!, It's Showtime, then known as simply Showtime, was retooled with new long-term segments, while the original competition format returned once again as one of its special segments.
Provides examples of:
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: The cast members' humor sometimes makes people question the authenticity of their friendship (one of the primary reasons the show is so successful). They offset it during anniversary specials or whenever one of them is involved in a scandal or an incident, like when a member of the group Hashtags was tragically killed in a boating accident.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: A great amount of Vice's jokes are about his looks.
- Beauty Contest: Miss Q&A, Mr. Q&A.
- Brainless Beauty: Averted by the three female regulars.
- Brainy Brunette: See Brainless Beauty above.
- Break the Haughty: Vice, repeatedly.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Anne and Mariel.
- Deadpan Snarker: Everyone, but Vice is the most constant and famous for his sarcasm.
- Encyclopedic Knowledge: "Kuya" note Kim.
- Funny Foreigner: Ryan Bang, although this had more to do with his goofy personality, nasal voice, and unflattering teenage haircut than his foreign heritage.
- Good Is Not Nice: Vice.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The show is very much made of this. Despite Vice's politically incorrect jokes, innuedo and risqué segments, the show has still somehow retained its PG rating, though there are some moments...
- They did have a taste of being suspended by the MTRCB,note though it was more due to a guest judge making a derisive statement against teachers than the hosts themselves making obscene jokes. A placeholder show entitled Magpasikat filled in for the then-suspended series, though it was essentially the same show with Serial Numbers Filed Off — the suspension was short-lived following an appeal from the network and a temporary restraining order against the ratings bureau. To Showtime's credit, they fared better as this was so far the only time they were penalized by the ratings board, unlike Willie Revillame being beset with a couple or so suspensions or incidents in the game shows he hosts, most infamously the PhilSports Stadium stampede which almost led to ABS-CBN losing its broadcast license.
- Insult of Endearment: The main hosts have a plethora of inside jokes, not all of which are utterly flattering. These include Anne's singing voice and Vice's supposedly horse-like appearance.
- Long-Runner Cast Turnover: Naturally, although some of the departures don't last. As is the case of Kuya Kim, who left for a few years, citing the desire to increase his knowledge even more as a reason. He's returned as a host in 2019.
- Long-Runners: Has been on ABS-CBN since 2009, and by the time the show marks its anniversary in October, it would earn the distinction of being one of the longest-running variety shows on Philippine television; most of ABS-CBN's attempts at competing with Eat Bulaga! tend to be rather short-lived.
- Not So Above It All: Walking encyclopedia Kuya Kim has been participating in the younger hosts antics more and more as time passes. Case in point: Jhong challenging him to backflip down and up the main platforms staircase, and Kuya Kim wordlessly obliging to both absurd dares.
- Odd Friendship: The program breathes on this trope. As Vice articulated in a 10th anniversary special feature, the Ensemble Cast of hosts consisted of public figures so disparate in personality that he himself didnt believe it would work. To wit... But then their collective rapport turned out to be off the charts, and ABS-CBN finally had something solid to put in its noontime slot against Eat Bulaga!.
- Progressively Prettier: Ryan was never really seen as hideous or anything, but his goofy personality and awkward pubescent looks made him a novelty act rather than another foreign-born heartthrob. Over the years, hes grown into his looks quite well, and a lot of people appreciate how cute he is. Theres no changing that voice, however, which could be described with affection as similar in sound to a Muppets.
- Talent Contest: Tawag ng Tanghalan, which is a singing contest. The show also features a lot of group dance contests.
- Vocal Dissonance: Ryans extremely nasally voice.