Drakken and Shego invade the lab of Cyrus Bortel (from "The Twin Factor") to steal an "Electron Magneto Accelerator". They are interrupted by Team Possible, but manage to escape with the EMA. However, during the fight both Kim and Shego got emotion-controlling "Moodulator" chips attached to them without anyone noticing. Also, Ron accidentally picks up the Moodulator control unit, mistaking it for the Kimmunicator.
After Kim notices that the device they have isn't the Kimmunicator, Ron mistakes it for a video game and starts playing with it. This causes both Kim and Shego to start rapidly shifting moods, from sadness to giddiness to rage. Ron and Drakken, having no idea what's going on, find themselves bearing the brunt of their odd behavior. The sitch escalates when the control unit gets set to "love", causing Kim and Shego to start aggressively pursuing their partners, much to their discomfort.
This episode provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Syntax: "It's not like I haven't thought about this, I mean, who hasn't?" On a meta level, it's a Fandom Nod, but in-universe, it's impossible to tell if Ron meant, "It's not like I haven't thought about us dating, I mean, who hasn't thought about me dating Kim?" or "It's not like I haven't thought about dating Kim, I mean, who hasn't thought about dating Kim?"
- Chased Off into the Sunset: The episode ends with Drakken desperately running and dodging plasma blasts from a Moodulator-enraged Shego.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Ron finds out what the Moodulator controller is:Bortel: This is no game!
Ron: That explains why I couldn't win.
- Continuity Nod:
- A parade float of Jonathan Stoppable can be seen in the opening scene.
- A girl at the carnival standing by Kim at the water pistol shooting booth is wearing a Rocket Boosters sweater from "Monkey Ninjas in Space".
- After testing the Moodulator on himself, Bortel goes off to watch a "Fearless Ferret" marathon.
- Emotion Bomb: The Moodulator chips and their control unit.
- Everyone Can See It: Apparently, Ron was the only who didn't know Tara had a crush on him.
- I Broke a Nail: Shego cries uncontrollably over a broken nail while the Moodulator is set to "sad". Drakken comments that he breaks his all the time, but he doesn't cry about it.note .
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship: This is what convinces Ron to tell Kim he just wants to be friends.
- Irony: When Josh Mankey and Tara start dating, Ron tries to shield Kim from this news so she wont be heartbroken. However, Kim has moved on, so she doesnt really care. She then proceeds to reveal that Tara used to like Ron essentially giving him the heartbreak that he prevented her from having.
- I Want My Mommy!: Drakken whimpers "Mommy" when confronted by a Moodulator-enraged Shego.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Kim's dad warns Ron that he'd better not make Kim unhappy unless he wants a one-way trip to a black hole. Considering Kim's dad is a rocket scientist, that is not an idle threat.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Ron tries to jog Kim's memory of "the good times" as she tries to hurt him. It doesn't work, at least not at first, but later she hesitates when Shego is about to attack Ron.
- Insistent Terminology: Drakken prefers to think of stealing another scientist's invention as "outsourcing".
- Juxtaposed Halves Shot: A brief montage of Kim and Shego going through a range of emotions ends with a half-and-half closeup of their "enraged" expressions.
- Kissing Under the Influence:
- The "lovestruck" Kim (under the moodulator's influence) has her first kiss with Ron.
- Shego is under the influence of the same device. In defiance of the usual "one-sided case" variation, Dr. Drakken spends the entire episode weirded out by Shego's mood swings and terrified by her actions when it's set to "very angry". The two only get an implied kiss.
- Laugh of Love: Kim giggles after she has her first kiss with Ron.Kim: Guess what the sitch is, Wade?
- Little Black Dress: Kim's outfit for her date with Ron. It makes quite an impression on him.
- Let's Just Be Friends: Despite Kim for all intents and purposes seeming to be totally in love with Ron, and Ron even admitting that he has thought about having a romantic relationship with Kim, he ultimately doesn't want to ruin his lifelong friendship with her and gives her one of these speeches. Unfortunately, it's at that moment that the Moodulator switches from "serious" to "sad" and Kim takes Ron's rejection very hard.
- Mistaken for Gay: While the Moodulator's influence has her smitten with Ron, Kim tosses him a note with hearts all over it. For a split second, Ron mistakenly believes it to have come from the boy next to him.
- Mistaken for Spies: Cyrus Bortel mistook the left behind Kimmunicator for a spy drone (which it was, but it wasn't spying on him) and when he caught up to Ron at the climax of the episode, he called him a spy.
- Mood-Swinger: Kim and Shego wildly switch moods when Ron (and later the twins) fiddles with the Moodulator control unit (which they initially think is a video game).
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: Ron and Drakken's reactions to being pursued by Kim and Shego. Understandable, as the moodulators did cause the ladies to come off a bit strong.
- Oblivious to Love: Everybody including Wade knew Tara had a crush on Ron, except for Ron himself.Kim: Seriously, Im over Josh. Thought youd be the bummed one.
Ron: Me? Why?
Kim: Tara ?
Ron: What about her?
Kim: She used to like you. You mean you never noticed?
Ron: NO! WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME? (Facepalm, Kimmunicator beeps)
Kim: Whats the sitch, Wade?
Wade: Just heard that Tara and Mankey are dating. Hows Ron taking it?
Ron: WADE KNEW TOO AWW!
- Offscreen Teleportation: When Kim is in "lovestruck" mode, she keeps popping up wherever Ron is in spite of his efforts to evade her.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Ron has a moment of this when Bortel tells him how Kim is now locked in an irreversible frenzy of rage, "So I hope she's not mad at anyone." This just after Ron gave her the 'just friends' talk.
- Soon after, Drakken has a whiplash mood shift of his own when he goes from gloating about Kim being trapped in "an irreversible frenzy of rage" to realizing (when he hears that there were two Moodulator chips) that Shego is likewise frenzied with rage, directed at him.
- Photo Booth Montage: Shego gets Drakken into a photo booth. The audience sees the resulting pictures, concluding with one of her pouncing on him.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: Ron is in a daze after Kim (under Moodulator influence) kisses him.
- Ship Sinking: Subverted. When the episode first aired, many were lead to believe that Kim and Ron would not have a romantic relationship...then along came So the Drama.
- Ship Tease: Both Kim/Ron (before they became an Official Couple in So the Drama) and Drakken/Shego (before the implied Last-Minute Hookup in "Graduation, Part 2").
- Sigh of Love: When the Moodulator gets inadvertently set to Love, Kim sighs happily before she starts eagerly hitting on Ron.
- Something Else Also Rises: When Kim pulls away from Ron after kissing him, he is in a love-struck daze and collapses on the floor, his entire body having gone completely stiff. Kim is able to prop him back up to standing position with her foot like a garden rake.
- Spit Take: Wade does this and falls off his chair when he sees Romantic!Kim and Ron kissing each other.
- Stalker with a Crush: Kim and Shego act like this toward Ron and Drakken, respectively, when the Moodulators get set to "love".
- Sweetie Graffiti: Shego blasts a heart with "D.D. & S.G." into the wall of the lair. Drakken gets even more thoroughly creeped out.
- Trick Dialogue: After a montage scene of Ron expressing his concerns about going from "friend" to "boyfriend", we find out that he's been talking to Mr. Barkin.Barkin: Stoppable, how did you get in my house?!
- Troubled Fetal Position: Drakken curls up and sucks his thumb after dealing with Shego's wild emotional shifts, including rage.Drakken: Did I forget your birthday? Is that what this is about? Because...I'm scared.
- Unstoppable Rage: Dr. Bortle calls it "irreversible frenzy of rage", but Rage!Kim and Shego spend several minutes relentlessly pursuing the terrified Ron and Drakken.
- We Want Our Jerk Back!: Drakken is more afraid of Shego's mood swings, especially the "love" setting, than he is of Shego with her normal acerbic personality.
- Woman Scorned: When the Moodulator control gets broken while set to "rage", Kim (who had gotten a Let's Just Be Friends talk from Ron) and Shego (who Drakken had abandoned in the middle of a crying jag to carry out his evil scheme) start taking out their anger on their respective male partners.