Back to Recap Page.
In flashbacks, Sara is rescued from the Gambits wreckage after she spots a chirping canary and is locked aboard the prisoner ship. She gets moved to a private room by Dr. Anthony Ivo, a man wanting her help to save the human race. When Oliver is brought to her, she kicks him around and orders his silence.
Oliver arrives to the prison to find Adam Donner and Laurel prosecuting Moira. They offer a plea bargain consisting of life with the possibility of parole. Moira contemplates taking the deal, much to the shock of her children. Later, Thea and Oliver convince Moira to fight, reminding her theyll love her no matter what secrets come out.
At the Queen mansion where Sara is staying, she and Oliver are attacked by a man dressed like Malcolm Merlyn, but its not him. The man escapes. Oliver brings Sara to the Arrowcave, where she reveals that the man is Al-Owal, a member of the League of Assassins with whom she trained in Nanda Parbat. Felicity finds that the dirt left behind by Al-Owal contains traces of pesticide from a now abandoned plant a perfect home base for the League. There, Canary and Arrow brawl with several assassins, but caught in an uneven matchup, Canary and Arrow flee.
With the Lances in danger, Oliver will watch after Laurel, while Felicity warns Quentin. Returning to her apartment after dinner, Laurel notices that her door has been opened. Oliver investigates the scene, but finds only a knife indicating the League has moved on. Felicitys warning to Quentin falls short, so Sara reveals herself to her father, who soon figures out shes Canary. Sara brings him to the clock tower and fights off assassins there with his help and Arrows. She tells the one survivor to relay a message to Ras Al Ghul: her family is off limits. Sara informs her father its too dangerous for her to come home.
Tropes Applying to This Episode
- Affably Evil: Dr. Ivo is kind enough to save Sara from being held in a cell and shot by the crew of the Amazo-but he's fine with keeping the others in their cells, saying he needs them for his work.
- After-Action Patch-Up: In "League of Assassins," after Oliver and the Canary's battle against three Assassins, Oliver performs some stitching on her back. Its used not really as a romantic moment, but more to show how badass the Canary is, and Felicity points out that she's not even flinching.The Canary: Pain and I came to a little understanding a few years back.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: The League attack Sara's clock tower HQ.
- Badass Boast: Sara uses her history as an assassin to convince Diggle not to keep her from leaving.Sara: Dig, you may be a three-tour Special Forces veteran, but I was trained by the people that make the special forces look like a kindergarten class. So step aside or get put down.
- Blunt "Yes": Inverted. Quentin asks Sara if she would've told him she was alive if the League never showed up. She wouldn't.
- Broken Bird: Sara, and flashbacks show us how she got broken on the Amazo.
- Deadpan Snarker: Officer Lance really gets to show off his skills in this episode.
- When Felicity tries to warn him about the League...Felicity: That sounded less crazy in my head.
Lance: I doubt it.
- During the fight in Sara's clocktower:
- When Felicity tries to warn him about the League...
- Home Field Advantage: Sara has some traps set up in her clocktower hideout that even things out between the assassins and her and her father.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: After Sara leaves, Ollie breaks out some Russian vodka.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: A family version. Sara has to leave town to keep the League of Assassins from coming after Laurel and her father.
- Mythology Gag:
- Professor Ivo is the creator of the Amazo robot that the Justice League faced in one of their first appearances, way back in Brave and the Bold #30 in 1960.
- When The Canary takes out one of the Assassins with a trap in her base, she says, "You must be mindful of your surroundings."
- Nyssa al Ghulnote is referenced with the Wham Line below.
- Oh, Crap!: The man who trained Malcolm catches an arrow. That was coming from behind.
- Protect This House: In preparation for the incoming Al-Owal and the incoming members of the League of Assassins Sara sets up the Clock Tower she's living in as a booby trap heaven. The traps don't completely stop the League, but they do turn the tide to give an injured Sara, Quentin Lance, and The Arrow the advantage they need to win the battle.
- Red Baron: Sara mentions that the League makes you pick a new name, and she picked Canary (in Arabic). Al-Owal means "The First".
- Secret Keeper: Lance, for Sara being alive.
- There Are No Therapists: But there is Diggle. Oliver realizes he needs to talk about his past, so he starts to open up.
- Toplessness from the Back: Played with, as Sara's is heavily scarred from her ordeal over the past five years.
- Wham Line: "The child of Ra's Al Ghul awaits your return."