Angel starts to think the Groosalugg is taking over his life.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Com without the shuck?
- After-Action Patch-Up: The UST vibes of this trope are lampshaded when Cordelia patches up Groo, but Angel turns down the opportunity to have Cordy patch him up.
- Almost Kiss: Fred and Gunn — then their pagers go off.Fred/Gunn: "It's Wesley."
- All Webbed Up: Fred and Gunn are held in the flesh-eating tree's roots.
- Always Second Best: Groo seems to fit the Champion role just as well as Angel, plus he can fight in daylight and have sex with Cordelia without turning evil.
- Analogy Backfire: While going to buy a Tome of Eldritch Lore, Wesley rallies Angel's spirits by telling him that he is in fact special.Wesley: You're like one of these rare volumes. One of a kind.[Angel smiles. The proprietor walks between them, carrying three old books.]Proprietor: I've got three of them.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Plenty by Cordelia.
- Cliffhanger: At the end of the episode Wesley translates the prophecy regarding Connor — The Father Shall Kill The Son.
- Comically Missing the Point
- Angel gripes that the Hyperion is turning into a hotel.
- Angel, your coat is singing.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Angel towards Cordy/Groo, Wesley for Fred/Gunn.
- Dance Battler: The Dance of Revolution?
- Damsel in Distress: Groo saves an Innocent Bystander from the Senih'd demon, while Angel is forced to stand by watching as it's broad daylight.
- The Day the Music Lied: Cordy tells Angel there's a problem that only he can help her with. Cue serious music. She wants his help to have sex with Groo without losing her visions to him. Cue comedy music.
- Decapitation PresentationGroo: "I shall present this beast's head to my princess as a token."
Angel: "Right. 'cause she'll love that."
- Distracted By The Smoochies: Fred and Gunn on surveillance. Good thing they had a video camera pointing at the subject.
- Double Entendre: Loads of it; sometimes Cordelia drops right into Single Entendre.Cordy: "There is a potion, a protective potion. I take it and bang! I can."Angel: "So you and Groo can..."Cordy: "...com-shuck like bunnies. You betcha."
- Dresses the Same / Not Helping Your Case: Angel thinks that Groo is taking over his life. Wesley is in the middle of saying they are two completely different people when they enter the Hyperion and find Groo with Spiky Hair dressed in Angel's Badass Longcoat.
- Erotic Eating: Gunn enjoys watching Fred eat.
- Expecting Someone Taller
- Fantasy Contraception: Not to avoid pregnancy but to avoid the visions passing from Cordelia to Groo
- Friendship Moment: Between Angel and Wesley.
- Funny Background Event: Angel standing on tiptoes during the Mission Briefing to make himself taller than Groo.
- Golden Moment: Again spoofed when Groo confesses that Angel was the real champion who saved them from the tree demon. Cordelia is touched... that Groo would hand over the credit like that.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Angel towards Cordy/Groo and Wesley towards Fred/Gunn
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Wesley to Gunn.
- I'm Cold... So Cold...: The tree demon once it plugs into Angel's dead heart.
- Important Haircut: Played for laughs.Cordy: Oh, wait. It's not like your strength is in your hair, or anything like that, right?Groo: No. I believe it is in my muscles.
- Innocent Innuendo: Cordelia appears to be suggesting an alternative to com-shucking, one she practised on her cousin Timmy all the time. It turns out she's giving Groo a haircut.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Angel tells Cordelia to take a long vacation with Groo. Someplace in the sun.
- Leeroy Jenkins / Screaming Warrior: Groo's strategy consists of charging in with a big war cry waving a sword.
- Life Drinker / When Trees Attack / Mailer Daemon: A life-sucking tree demon with a DSL connection that lures men to their deaths by pretending to be a woman on the Internet and getting them to come meet "her."
- Mistaken for GayAnita: "Oh, I love your outfits."
Angel: "Well, I really wouldn't call them 'outfits.'"
Anita: "But you are together."
Groo: (puts a hand on Angel's shoulder) "Yes! Two champions here together."
Angel: (pushing Groo's hand off) "Not 'together' together. Just 'get the potion' together."
- Moment Killer: Cordelia goes to kiss Groo and finds a hideous demon standing in his place — it's a vision, naturally. Kind of a mood killer, as she puts it later.
- Multiboobage: A triple-breasted whore is seen in the demon brothel. Unfortunately she also has a Glasgow Grin. Yeesh!
- Oblivious Mockery: Again, loads by Cordy to poor Angel.Cordy: At least I won't be upsetting the average around here. Nobody in this office is ever gonna get any. [leaves Angel and Wesley looking crestfallen]
- Oblivious to Love: Cordelia regarding Angel's affections.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations: Almost a Running Gag.
- Orbital Kiss: Groo/Cordy.
- Oh, Crap!: Gunn and Fred look at their video camera to find out what happened to the man they were supposed to be watching. The replay shows him being pulled into the ground by tree roots at the exact same spot they are now.Fred: "Well, that can't be good." [Tree roots pull them both underground.]
- Rant-Inducing Slight
- Shoo Out the Clowns: Angel tells Cordy and Groo to take a long vacation. In the next episode, things start getting a lot darker.
- That Came Out WrongWes: "Why can't you have sex?"
Cordy: "I could lose my 'visionity.'"
Wes: (smirking) "If you wanna play it that way."
Cordy: "VISION-ity! The visions."
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: Grammaticus Third Century Greek Commentaries or G.T.C.G.C.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Com-shuck" gets used again for all it's worth.
- Unwanted Rescue / Abuse Mistake: Groo sees a client chained up at the brothel and tries to free him.Angel: "Groo! Groo, I think he's happy there."
Groo: "As a slave?"
Client: "Don't judge me."
- Wham Line: "The Father will kill the Son", which doubles as a Wham Shot.