"Books. Books. That's the secret of my success books. Oh, I read them all, I inherit the wisdom of the ages, every plot ever devised is here inside my head."
— Bookworm, Batman (1966)
Index about books, libraries and the people that love them.
- Akashic Records: Mystical compendium of all knowledge.
- Big Book of War: A fictional book about war, battle tactics, martial code that's often referenced in an offhand manner.
- Blank Book: A book with no contents.
- Book and Switch: Someone tries to hide the book they're actually reading behind another book to trick others into thinking they're reading the outer book.
- Book Burning: Books are burned for ulterior reasons.
- The Book Cipher: Books are used to code messages.
- Bookmark Clue: Important information is discovered being used as a bookmark.
- Book on the Head: Balancing a book on your head in order to improve your posture.
- Book Safe: A hollowed out book is being used as a safe for certain items.
- Bookshelf of Authority: Posing a character in front of a bookshelf to show that they're smart.
- Book Snap: A character slams a book shut to show their anger or seriousness about something.
- Books That Bite
- Books vs. Screens: A False Dichotomy between reading and TV/computers, usually either "if you like one, you can't like the other" or "books are better".
- But I Read a Book About It
- Conveniently Interrupted Document
- Deadly Book
- Extremely Overdue Library Book
- Faux-To Guide
- Flying Books
- Great Big Book of Everything: A book that has information on any subject the characters may try to look up.
- Great Big Library of Everything
- The Illegible: Often applies to diaries.
- Instant Book Deal
- Library Episode
- The Magazine Rule
- Newspaper-Thin Disguise
- Parodies for Dummies
- Playboy Parody
- Portal Book
- "Reading Is Cool" Aesop: The story has the characters learn that reading doesn't have to be boring.
- Reality-Writing Book
- Rewriting Reality
- Rushed Inverted Reading: A character hurriedly grabs a book to make it appear that they were innocently reading, but the book is being held the wrong way round.
- Sacred Scripture
- Secret Diary
- Significant Sketch Book
- Specific Situation Books
- Spell Book
- Throw the Book at Them
- Tome of Eldritch Lore
- Tomes of Prophecy and Fate
- Useful Book: A book gets used for a purpose other than reading it.
- Bookcase Passage: A secret passage hidden behind a bookshelf that is revealed by lifting one of the books.
- Great Big Library of Everything: A library that has books on every subject imaginable.
- Magical Library
- Spooky Silent Library
- Bookworm and its Sub-tropes:
- Evil Librarians
- Genius Book Club
- Loony Librarian
- Magic Librarian
- Mystery Writer Detective
- Scary Librarian