Ralph Nathaniel Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes (born 22 December 1962 in Ipswich, England) is an Academy Award nominatednote Shakespearian English stage and film actor, producer, and director. He is also the older brother of fellow actor Joseph Fiennes, and distantly related to the famed explorer Sir Ranulph Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes.
He gained much prominence after his breakout roles in Schindler's List and The English Patient. He has also shown up as a lead actor in foreign-language films, such as the 1999 Hungarian movie Sunshine, and later took on roles with considerable mainstream exposure such as Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter films and Gareth Mallory (the replacement of Judi Dench as M) in the James Bond movies, starting with Skyfall for the latter.
Oh, and his name is pronounced "Rafe Fines".
Notable roles include:
- Wuthering Heights (1992) - Heathcliff
- Schindler's List (1993) - Amon Göth
- Quiz Show (1994) - Charles Van Doren
- Strange Days (1995) - Lenny Nero
- The English Patient (1996) - The Patient, real name Count László de Almássy
- The Prince of Egypt (1998) - Ramses II
- The Avengers (1998) - John Steed
- The End of the Affair (1999) - Maurice Bendrix
- Red Dragon (2002) - Francis Dolarhyde
- Maid in Manhattan (2002) - Christopher Marshall
- Spider (2002) - Dennis "Spider" Clegg
- The Constant Gardener (2005) - Justin Quayle
- The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) - Victor Quartermaine
- Harry Potter series - Tom Marvolo Riddle / Lord Voldemort
- In Bruges (2008) - Harry Waters
- The Hurt Locker (2009) - Contractor Team Leader
- Clash of the Titans (2010) and Wrath of the Titans (2012) - Hades
- Coriolanus (2011) - Coriolanus (also directed and produced)
- James Bond - Gareth Mallory/M
- The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - M. Gustave H
- Hail, Caesar! (2016) - Laurence Laurentz, a film director.
- Kubo and the Two Strings (2016) - The Moon King
- The LEGO Batman Movie (2017) - Alfred Pennyworth
- Holmes & Watson (2018) - Moriarty
- Dolittle (2020) - Barry the Tiger
- The King's Man (2021) - Duke of Oxford
Provides examples of
- Badass Baritone: Especially in his more recent roles as he's gotten older.
- Chronically Killed Actor: Most famously as Amon Göth and Voldemort but he's been axed off in quite a few of his films.
- Directed by Cast Member: Ralph Fiennes both starred in, directed and produced a 2011 film adaption of the William Shakespeare play Coriolanus, co-starring with Gerard Butler and Jessica Chastain.
- Dyeing for Your Art: He put on 28 pounds to play one of his major breakout roles, Amon Göth.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Although normally rather pretty, he produced this effect when he kept his real eye color as Voldemort rather than using red contacts to match the description from the book.