Ralph Nathaniel Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes (born 22 December 1962 in Ipswich, England) is an Academy Award nominatednote Shakespearean English stage and film actor, producer, and director. He is also the older brother of fellow actor Joseph Fiennes.
He gained much prominence after his breakout roles in Schindler's List and The English Patient. He has also shown up as a lead actor in foreign-language films, such as the 1999 Hungarian movie Sunshine, and later took on roles with considerable mainstream exposure such as Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter films and Gareth Mallory (the new M) in the James Bond movies, starting with Skyfall for the latter.
Oh, and his name is pronounced "Rafe Fines".
Notable roles include:
- Wuthering Heights - Heathcliff
- Schindler's List - Amon Göth
- Quiz Show - Charles Van Doren
- Strange Days - Lenny Nero
- The English Patient - The Patient, real name Count László de Almássy
- The Prince of Egypt - Rameses II
- The Avengers - John Steed
- Red Dragon - Francis Dolarhyde
- Maid in Manhattan - Christopher Marshall
- Spider - Dennis "Spider" Clegg
- The Constant Gardener - Justin Quayle
- The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - Victor Quartermaine
- Harry Potter series - Tom Marvolo Riddle / Lord Voldemort
- In Bruges - Harry Waters
- The Hurt Locker - Contractor Team Leader
- Clash of the Titans and Wrath of the Titans - Hades
- Coriolanus - Coriolanus (also directed and produced)
- James Bond - Gareth Mallory/M
- The Grand Budapest Hotel - M. Gustave H
- Hail, Caesar! - Laurence Laurentz, a film director.
- Kubo and the Two Strings - The Moon King
- The LEGO Batman Movie - Alfred Pennyworth
- Holmes & Watson - Moriarty
- The King's Man - Duke of Oxford
Provides examples of
- Badass Baritone: Especially in his more recent roles as he's gotten older.
- Chronically Killed Actor: Most famously as Amon Göth and Voldemort but he's been axed off in quite a few of his films.
- Dyeing for Your Art: He put on 28 pounds to play one of his major breakout roles, Amon Göth.