open/close all folders
Kevin SpencerThe show's lead character. He's the chain-smoking, alcoholic and dangerous offspring of Percy and Anastasia Spencer. Poor upbringing and mental disorders have shaped him into a rude, violent, and all-around warped person.
- As Himself: The sixth-season intro describes many of the characters and gives their voice actors (e.g., "Greg Lawrence as Percy Spencer"). Kevin, being the only character who doesn't usually speak normally, is instead credited "as himself".
- Characterization Marches On: He killed people in pit fights during the cruise two-parter, but later episodes ignore this and establish that he would never take a life.
- Chronic Pet Killer: The voices in Kevin's head kept telling him to off any pet he owned.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Drunk with Power: When he went back in time and tasered Caligula, and took his position. His attitude comes from believing that people actually flocked to him over his personality and leadership skills, which boosted his ego and made him rule similarly to Caligula.
- Even Evil Has Standards: In "The Cruise" Kevin is clearly afraid of the Widow Coulson because he believes she is much more crazier than him, even Allen agrees with Kevin and can be seen by her as well.
- There are times when Kevin thinks that Pete Wilcox is even crazier than him.
- Kevin actually gets turned off by the sociopathic behavior of his love interest Shauna, he even displays shock over the fact that Shauna has murdered her own mother as he never took a life before.
- Kevin joined the boy band because they are terrible and only cause human suffering, and wanting to be part of that. Kevin quits because even he doesn't hate humanity that much to be in a boy band.
- Funny Schizophrenia
- Hates Being Touched: Kevin doesn't like being touched, especially on the head. Displaying his shiv is the only warning most people need.
- Hidden Depths: Kevin himself may be a drunken sociopath, but one of his most sincere wants is to be popular...and to have a hat with a weapon on it.
- He also questions the school system's way of teaching Shakespeare to the students. He suggests that they should teach kids more about the language today and work towards understanding Shakespeare, so they could actually understand and appreciate what he's saying. Other episodes show that Kevin is very familiar with literary terms and conventions.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Despite his misanthropic nature, several episodes take notice that one of his greatest wishes is to be popular.
- Informed Attribute: Claims that he doesn't feel emotions. But since we get his internal thoughts and feelings narrated to us, this is easily disproven.
- Kids Are Cruel: He bullies everyone he comes across, especially teens his own age.
- Must Have Nicotine
- Silent Bob: Kevin "speaks", and the other characters react to what he "says", but the audience never hears it. Instead, the narrator tells us what Kevin "said". The only times Kevin actually verbally speaks are either in hallucinations and dreams, and in one episode where he told someone else to "fuck off".
- Slasher Smile: Fist seen in the season two finale when he beats to death a man who had saved him from drowning and spent months nursing him back to health for accidentally stepping on his hat; later turns up often in season three and prominently displayed in the opening credits. Coupled with Evil Laugh and British Teeth, from years of tobacco and hard drinking.
- Smoking Is Cool: Played with. Often, his smoking makes him look more dangerous and rebellious. Oftentimes, though, the show establishes that years of smoking have made it hard for him to run away, and also that he's impotent.
- The Sociopath: The opening theme song specifically describes Kevin as this trope, but let's examine the checklist:
- Persistent lying to mess with other peoples' heads? Check.
- Lack of remorse or empathy for others by laughing at their suffering? Check.
- Cruelty to animals by killing his dog when he was seven years old? Check.
- Poor behavioral controls through a tendency to commit robberies and beatings on people who piss him off? Check.
- A history of childhood conduct disorder by smoking and drinking? Check.
- Recurring difficulties with the law by going to juvenile hall and adult prison? Check.
- A tendency to violate the rights and boundaries of others by robbing and beating them? Check.
- Substance abuse from alcohol, tobacco and any number of drugs? Check.
- Aggressive and violent behavior by punching or hitting people who make him angry? Check.
- Inability to tolerate boredom and committing crimes as a way of relieving boredom? Check.
- Disregard for safety with reckless behavior? Check and mate.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: And his behavior started well before the series started.
- Villain Protagonist
- Voiced by: Greg Lawrence
- Berserk Button: Percy get extremely pissed off whenever he finds Anastasia in bed with another man, particularly Charlie Plunt and Marty the Bartender.
- Breakout Character: Became more and more prominent as the show went on, to the point that one season's theme song was primarily about him.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Percy Spencer may be an alcoholic, chain-smoking, drug-abusing repeat offender, but even he recognized that Adolf Hitler was an asshole.
- Fat Bastard
- Hands-Off Parenting
- I Need a Freaking Drink and Must Have Nicotine
- Lazy Bum
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Years of substance abuse have left Percy impotent at times. It's probably aided by the fact his wife is not attractive in the slightest. Sometimes she feels bad for him and other times she mocks him.
- Prison Rape: Percy has been sodomized in prison several times, and it's played for laughs.
- Voiced by: Thomasin Langlands
- Abhorrent Admirer: To many people, including Percy.
- Berserk Button: Percy and Anastasia both get extremely pissed off whenever they find out that they've been cheated on by the other one. Anastasia also gets really hot under the collar whenever people are really rude to her and don't speak to her like a "fucking lady".
- Bi the Way
- Hands-Off Parenting
- Hidden Depths: Anastasia wants to provide a good life for Kevin, and tries to get close to Percy.
- Kavorka Woman: She's a very fat and unattractive woman, yet she manages to seduce most men (and one lesbian) she sees.
- Must Have Nicotine
- My Girl Is a Slut: To the point where they have a good laugh over it.
- Really Gets Around: Anastasia is pretty much the town slut.
- Your Cheating Heart
Allan The Magic Goose
- Voiced by: Mike Wetmore
- I Need a Freaking Drink
- Must Have Nicotine: Allan will sometimes tell Kevin to smoke or drink, implying that he needs the alcohol and nicotine as much as Kevin.
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: A couple of episodes imply that Allan is some sort of spirit/demon entity that simply lives in Kevin's head. When Kevin temporarily dies from a heart attack, Allan returns to the "Imaginary Friends Galactic Headquarters" to be reassigned, while in another he becomes fed up with Kevin and tries to find another head to live in, interacting with several other characters.
- Toxic Friend Influence: Often, Allan will egg an otherwise neutral Kevin to break the law or harm others.
- With Friends Like These...
- Voiced by:
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: He's from the French parts of Canada, but still. He runs like hell whenever Percy catches him with his wife.
- Killed Off for Real: In the last season.
- Nice Hat: A cowboy hat, which Percy takes after his death.
- With Friends Like These...: Regularly has an affair with his friend's wife.
- Voiced by:
- Disappeared Dad: Her father is BC Bud, who appeared in Snowfort, though this wasn't revealed until until The End of Shauna. Shauna's mother wonders why he left them, though Shauna believes that he left because of her mother's rampant alcoholism.
- Hidden Depths: Some dialogue suggests that she's a Death Seeker.
- Kids Are Cruel
- Love Interest: Kevin's, although there are times when her behavior turns him off.
- Mood-Swinger: She flips between anger and a macabre happiness at the drop of a hat. It lead to her having great acting skills, as noted by Kevin.
- Scary Teeth: In her penultimate appearance, she has filed her nails into sharp points. They stay like that in her final appearance, although they are only briefly seen.
- Selfmade Orphan: She murdered her mother.
- The Sociopath: Moreso than Kevin, as she actually took a life.
- Villainous Breakdown: Her episodes feature her slow descent into sociopathy.
Timmy Mc Naughton
- Voiced by:
- Befriending What Daddy Hates: He'll hang out with Kevin sometimes, just to get under his parents' skin.
- Break the Haughty: Oftentimes by Kevin.
- Hidden Depths: He's a Lonely Rich Kid, and feels as though he doesn't belong in this world. He comes to see Kevin as his only friend because they're both social outcasts.
- Playful Hacker
- Rich Bitch
- The Rival: At times, for Kevin. They also both have a crush on Shauna.
- Ungrateful Bastard: His mother treats him very well, though she is very passive. Still, he'll lump her in with the other rich people in town and rebel against her. He also uses his dad's money to build himself a snowfort.
The Widow Coulson
- Voiced by:
- Ambiguous Disorder: It's not stated what exactly is wrong with her, but she seems to have serious dementia.
- Dirty Old Woman: She talks about affairs with men she's had in the past. She also leads an active sex life now.
- Evil Old Folks: In addition to usually being antagonistic, one episode also has her teaching at a magic school that trains evil wizards.
- Grumpy Old Woman
- Screw Politeness, I'm a Senior!: Very much so.