Nintendo's legal alternative to Mario ROM Hacks
, Mario Maker
is Exactly What It Says on the Tin
. A Game Maker
engine based around 2D Mario
platformers, specifically Super Mario Bros. 1
. Level makers are provided an assortment of enemies, power ups, and obstacles to make levels with, using an interface very reminiscent to Mario Paint
Additionally, users can decide to shift between various graphic styles, including the classic 8 bit style from the NES
days or the 3D vectors from New Super Mario Bros. U
, with other graphical styles confirmed to be in development, though for now the physics are always the same (SMB1
with some modifications) regardless of graphics. Needless to say, quality of the courses made in this may vary.
This game contains the following tropes:
- Ascended Glitch: The Luigi Mushroom power up. It was originally a glitch the dev team found when they were making the game that made Mario skinny, but they found it so entertaining they decided to make it an official power-up in the game. Using it makes Mario big, thin, and changes his physics to that of Luigi.
- Airborne Mook: EVERYONE, once you apply wings to the enemies.
- The Cameo: Micro-Goombas appear if you shake a Goomba.
- Combinatorial Explosion: A lot of the fun advertised in the trailer revolves around putting things together that don't go together in the normal games, and the game having updated physics/rules to deal with it. Any enemy can have wings applied to it, anything can bounce on springboards, and different objects can be stacked upon one another in unorthodox permutations.
- Easter Egg: The Luigi Mushroom appears infrequently.
- Fake Difficulty: Bound to happen, since people can share levels to other players.
- Game Maker: Designed to be this for 2D Mario platformers, as the game is confirmed to be getting more graphical styles and objects from other games in the series.
- Kaizo Trap: It wouldn't be a Mario level editor without them. The trailer gets in on the fun by encasing the castle at the end of a level in blocks so that Mario can't enter the castle after he slides down the flag pole.
- Palette Swap: It is possible to change graphical styles from Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros U., however both styles use slightly modified Super Mario Bros. physics (for example the original didn't have a Goomba Springboard feature). More graphical styles have been confirmed to be in the making, some of which might not even be from the Mario series at all.
- Spiritual Successor: To Mario Paint on the SNES.
- Springs Springs Everywhere: Anything placed on top of trampolines will bounce off of it, including other trampolines.