Video Game / Mario Paint
was released in 1992 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System
. It was the first game to use the SNES Mouse peripheral, and came bundled with it.
The software isn't really a game so much as an art tool: there's making images using brushes, stamps, and patterns; creating animations; creating music (which could be used in the animations); loading pre-defined images to color or edit in any other manner; and creating custom stamps. Mario Paint
also had a well-known minigame called "Coffee Break" (also referred to as "Gnat Attack" in the manual), in which you had to swat flies to progress through the level, going on forever until you lost all of your lives from getting hit by the flies. This minigame would later be featured in WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
It is worth noting that the first animated Homestar Runner
cartoon was animated using Mario Paint.
This game has a few Spiritual Successors
, such as the Mario Artist
series for the Nintendo 64
Disk Drive, WarioWare D.I.Y. for the Nintendo DS
, and Super Mario Maker
for the Wii U
Any videos of the music-making program can go here
Tropes present in the program as a whole:
- Cartoon Bomb:
- Some screens have a cartoon bomb on the exit button. The bomb button lives in the lower-left corner.
- The "O" on the title screen becomes a bomb when you click it.
- Easter Egg: On the title screen, clicking certain letters would cause certain things to happen, such as clicking the letter "P" to make grass, trees, and a bunch of other objects appear; or clicking the letter "O" to hear Kazumi Totaka's secret song. The Super Stars that also fly across the screen occasionally also contain one, if you're fast enough to click one.
- Fan Remake: The music maker aspect of the program picked up a few PC/Mac remakes, most notably Mario Paint Composer and Advanced Mario Sequencer.
- Follow the Bouncing Ball: When playing music in the music editor, except with Mario instead of the ball.
- Mini-Game: "Coffee Break"/"Gnat Attack".
- No Plot? No Problem!: Just paint anything or compose music.
- Spiritual Successor:
- Mario Artist: Paint Studio, a Japanese-only game for the 64DD, which also came with a mouse peripheral.
- WarioWare D.I.Y. is a Game Maker app for DS in the style of Mario Paint that also includes a music composer and a canvas mode.
- Super Mario Maker is a Game Maker for the Wii U that's directly inspired by Mario Paint, down to the user interface.
- Themed Cursor/White Gloves: The cursor is Mario's white glove.
- Wide Open Sandbox: Nothing you need to do but make art.
The mini-game features examples of:
- Action Bomb: The Bomb Flies, which tend to flicker and follow the swatter before exploding.
- Big Bad: King Watinga, who appears at the end of every level after you have defeated 100 insects.
- Endless Game: There are three levels, but they repeat endlessly.
- Evil Laugh: King Watinga, if you die while fighting him.
- The Goomba: The basic gnats who appear first at the very beginning of the game and do not actually attack you.
- 1-Up: Occasionally a hand will float down from the top of the screen, which will give you an extra life if swatted.
- Reverse Shrapnel: Watinga sometimes fires this out.
- Turns Red: Again, Watinga.