Characters / Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger
Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger
Kakeru Shishi/GaoRed | Actor: Noboru Kaneko
Known as the Blazing Lion, Red is a veterinarian chosen by GaoLion to lead the Gaorangers and become GaoRed. He is highly compassionate with the ability to talk to animals
, and controls GaoLion, GaoGorilla, GaoKong and GaoFalcon.
Gaku Washio/GaoYellow | Actor: Kei Horie
Known as the Noble Eagle, Yellow was the first Gaoranger recruited and spent a year working alone with Tetomu. He often clashes with Red because he resents being replaced as the team leader, though eventually their rivalry cools. Controls GaoEagle, GaoPolar and GaoBear.
Kai Samezu/GaoBlue | Actor: Takeru Shibaki
Known as the Surging Shark, Blue is the youngest male on the team and a former "freeter" who has a close friendship with Black. He controls GaoShark and GaoGiraffe.
Soutarou Ushigome/GaoBlack | Actor: Kazuyoshi Sakai
Known as the Iron Bison, Black is a former sumo wrestler-turned-florist's assistant who is best friends with Blue. Despite being The Big Guy
he is actually very sweet (unless you threaten the people he cares about
) and scares easily. He controls GaoBison, GaoRhino and GaoMadillo.
Sae Taiga/GaoWhite | Actor: Mio Takeuchi
Known as the Belle Tiger, White is the youngest team member and the only girl
. She is a martial arts student from Kagoshima. Controls GaoTiger, GaoElephant and GaoDeer.
Tsukumaro Oogami/Shirogane/GaoSilver | Actor: Tetsuji Tamayama
GaoWarrior who was sealed away a thousand years ago after becoming possessed by the demon Rouki. After being defeated by the Gaorangers, he is physically separated from Rouki and joins the team as GaoSilver, the Sparking Wolf. He controls GaoWolf, GaoHammerhead, and GaoLigator
- The Atoner
- Breakout Character
- Cool Bike: GaoWolf can transform into Wolf Roader, Silver's personal vehicle.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Being a man from ancient Japan, he has no clue about the pool balls' Arabic numerals.
- Heel–Face Turn
- I Work Alone
- Magic Music: The effect of his flute on the Gao Animals.
- Meaningful Name: "Oogami" is a homonym for "wolf," and his given name (Tsukumaro) contains the kanji for "moon."
- Mr. Fanservice
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: Variant - in the Reunion Show with Hurricaneger, he leaves before his teammates can say goodbye, which, he tells Shurikenger, would have been unbearably painful for him.
- Not Good with People
- Really 700 Years Old
- Ship Tease: With both Tetomu (thanks to his connection with her great-grandmother) and White.
- Signature Move: Ginro Mangetsu Girinote
- Sixth Ranger
- The Stoic
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Swiss Army Weapon: Gao Hustler Rod
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky
- Walking the Earth: What he does after the events of the show
- Wolf Man
The Hundred Beasts mentioned in the title, they grant their powers to the Gaorangers in their battle against the Orgs.
Tropes that apply to the Power Animals in general include:
- Back from the Dead: The Power Animals the heroes partner with return in the finale, after being killed in the previous episode.
- Finishing Move:
- GaoKing 1: Animal Heartnote
- GaoKing 2: Surging Arrownote
- GaoMuscle: Muscle Lariatnote
- GaoHunter (Rouki): Beast Hurricanenote
- GaoHunter (Silver): Revolver Phantomnote
- GaoIcarus: Icarus Dynamitenote
- GaoIcarus Another Foot and Arm: Icarus Breakernote
- GaoKentaurus: Dance of the Beast Kingnote
- GaoKnight: Big Burn Final
- Golem: They're spirits that occupy metallic constructs made from the Earth itself.
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Our Centaurs Are Different: GaoKentaurus is a centaurid mecha made of gigantic Power Animals.
GaoRed's primary Power Animal, a red lion with a golden mane. Forms the upper torso and core of GaoKing and the lower part of GaoKentaurus.
GaoYellow's primary Power Animal, a yellow-gold eagle. Forms the head of GaoKing and the waist of GaoMuscle and GaoKnight.
GaoBlue's primary Power Animal, a blue shark. Forms GaoKing's right arm and its primary weapon, the Fin Blade, and also GaoKnight's right arm.
GaoBlack's primary Power Animal, a black bison. Forms GaoKing's and GaoMuscle's lower torso and legs.
GaoWhite's primary Power Animal, a white-gray tiger. Forms GaoKing's and GaoKnight's left arm.
The first of the extra Power Animals the Gaorangers awaken, a cyan elephant; eventually GaoWhite partners with it. Forms a sword and shield for GaoKing, GaoKnight, and GaoKentaurus.
The second extra Power Animal encountered, and an orange giraffe, GaoBlue met it after he fought an Org underwater. Replaces GaoShark as a left arm and forms GaoIcarus' left arm, both as an arm-spear.
GaoBear and GaoPolar
The third and fourth extra Power Animals, with GaoBear being a black bear and GaoPolar a similar but white bear. GaoYellow encountered them as two mysterious boys, and after helping them regain their true forms, they expressed their gratitude by helping the Gaorangers. They form arms for both GaoKing and especially GaoMuscle.
The fifth extra Power Animal, a green gorilla. As the Gaorangers were sent back in time in their quest to acquire a mushroom needed to heal GaoLion, GaoGorilla awoke, helping the Rangers defeat the Bulldozer Org. Forms the head and upper torso of GaoMuscle and thus its core.
The movie-exclusive Power Animal, befriended by GaoRed. Forms the core of GaoKnight.
The manifestation of the Gao Heart, Soul Bird was born from the Gao Egg created by the Radiant Mushroom. First appearing as a chick affectionately called Piyo-chan, it grew to its adult form while the Gaorangers fought Shuten.
Rouki's and later, GaoSilver's
totem Power Animal, a silver wolf. Forms GaoHunter's left arm.
Another one of Rouki's or GaoSilver's
Power Animals, a primarily green alligator. Forms the body and legs of GaoHunter.
Another one of Rouki's/GaoSilver's
Power Animals. Forms the right arm of GaoHunter.
GaoRhinos and GaoMadillo
Friends of GaoBison, they appeared in order to help defeat Rouki. GaoRhinos is a blue-green rhinoceros that forms a lower torso and legs for GaoKing, GaoMuscle, and primarily GaoIcarus, while GaoMadillo is a purple armadillo that forms a ball.
An ancient Power Animal in the form of a green deer whom Tetomu's grandmother Murasaki once sang to, accompanied by Shirogane/GaoSilver. Reappearing in the present day to immobilize Tombstone Org, it spurned the Gaorangers until Tetomu helped Silver regain its trust. Eventually becomes GaoWhite's third Power Animal, and serves as GaoIcarus' left arm.
Called the Ultimate Power Animal, it was a red falcon summoned by GaoRed after his friends in the afterlife solved a puzzle, granting him the Falcon Summoner. Forms the head, body, and wings of GaoIcarus and GaoKentaurus.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: It's the only other red Power Animal in the series, and not only does it ally with GaoRed, it's also one of the most powerful Power Animals.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Its wings are large enough to serve as a shield when held together.
- Mid-Season Upgrade
- Noble Bird of Prey: Heroic bird zord.
- The Phoenix: Evokes this by exiting the volcano on the Animarium. The Phoenix motif is furthered by the implication that GaoFalcon helped in reviving the rest of the Gaorangers and GaoGod.
- The Worf Effect: Gets this by being the first Power Animal on Sky Island to be killed when Senki begins his rampage.
Ally of the Gaorangers from a thousand years prior to the series. He appears in spirit form to help the Gaorangers break the curse on Shirogane. He appears as a young boy named Futaro to the dead Gaorangers to aid them in their spirit quest, and is revived alongside them with GaoFalcon's appearance.
GaoGod is composed of the five God Power Animals: GaoLeon, a black version of GaoLion forming its upper torso; GaoCondor, a blue bird similar to GaoEagle forming its head and bow; GaoSawshark, a maroon shark that forms its right arm and sword; GaoBuffalo, a brown buffalo that forms its lower torso and legs; and GaoJaguar, an orange jaguar that forms its left arm.
Gao Priestess Tetomu
Ogre Tribe Orgs
Duke Org Yabaiba
Duke Org Tsuetsue
High Duke Org Shuten | Voice Actor: Tetsu Inada
High Duke Org Ura
- Back from the Dead: Twice. First after being killed by GaoSilver and second in the final arc.
- Batman Gambit: His scheme hinged on quite a few, from the Gaorangers defeating Rouki and releasing the Thousand Year Evil within him, to the Gaorangers defeating the Orgs he made with the evil spirit in order to mature it, and especially Silver finally severing his connection to the evil so he could absorb it himself.
- Benevolent Boss: Relatively speaking; he treats Yabaiba and Tsuetsue rather well, especially compared to his successor. He even gives them power from the thousand-year evil spirit.
- The Chessmaster: A particularly brilliant one. Everything he did since he first appeared, from awakening Rouki to creating Orgs with the Thousand Year Evil, was all part of his master plan to achieve his One-Winged Angel form.
- Disc Two Final Boss
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: His eyes are within nostrils.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: How he dies.
- Knight of Cerebus: His stint as High Duke coincides with the Gaorangers being curb-stomped by Rouki, then culminates with the death of most of them.
- Magic Mirror
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- One-Winged Angel: And, surprisingly, is effective - enough to kill all of the Gaorangers save Red and Silver.
- Paper Fan of Doom
- Sissy Villain: Noblewoman's Laugh? Check. Uses a fan as his weapon of choice? Check. Likes sparkly pretty things? Check, Check, and Check.
- Xanatos Gambit: His using the Thousand Year Evil to create Orgs. Whenever the Gaorangers defeated one, it would just make the evil spirit stronger. As mentioned above, it was more of a Batman Gambit as that was the outcome he really wanted.
High Duke Org Rasetsu
Ultimate Org Senki
Three Org Brothers
The villains of The Movie
, they appeared on the island where the Gaorangers and Tetomu were transported to. They forced the local villagers to work for them, until the Gaorangers intervened.