Los Ingobernables de Japon (translated from Spanish into "The Ungovernables of Japan") is a Heel professional wrestling stable in New Japan Pro-Wrestling. While it is a Spin-Off of the Los Ingobernables group in the CMLL promotion, this page is more about the New Japan group. The group has gone on to become wildly popular with crowds and fans with merchandise of the group being often seen at shows.
Tetsuya Naito for the longest time, was one of the top faces in New Japan but was seen as someone who never could get over the hump as despite flirtations with the main event scene, never could get the fans to rally behind him and was labeled as an Underachiever having not tapped into his potential. But that all changed in spring of 2015 when he left New Japan for an excursion to Mexico and wrestled there for a time.
When he came back he had undergone a metamorphosis. Gone were the bright outfits and jacket and combed over hair; Naito, to the shock of everyone in New Japan from the roster to the announcers to the fans, had changed. He now was barely putting any effort into his matches and often could be seen dozing off during the matches and not trying to help his teammates. He didn't even take off his gear and wrestled in it, becoming a full on slacker who couldn't be bothered to help out as he didn't care about what was going on anymore as it took him minutes for him to make his debut and would walk out on people or steal the win whenever it suited him. He then revealed after the 2015 G1 Climax that he had joined up with the group Los Ingobernables in Mexico and was creating his own port of the faction, having adopted its catchphrase and lifestyle "Tranquilo".
Two months later at King of Pro Wrestling 2015, in a match against Hiroshi Tanahashi, a mysterious masked man clad in a dark suit entered the arena with Naito, and during the match attacked and interfered and unmasked himself revealing him to be Takaaki Watanabe, who had returned from his excursion to America and was revealed to be the first member of Naito's Power Stable. But this was not the same Watanabe people had remembered as a Young Lion; he had underwent a change, becoming much more vicious and brutal. Takaaki Watanabe was no more, in his place was Evil, The King of Darkness.
During the opening match of the yearly World Tag League around the end of 2015, a third man accompanied Naito and Evil to the ring as the newest member of the growing stable and revealed himself to be a returning Bushi, who for the past year had been out with an injury and joined up with the group and began spraying opponents with a mist-like substance in matches as he too became more vicious. The Deadly Duo had now become a Terrible Trio.
In March 2016 at the New Japan Cup finals, Naito defeated Hirooki Goto to win the New Japan Cup and afterwards was challenged by IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada to face him. Naito agreed to do so, and they were set to face another at Invasion Attack 2016. The chance to become IWGP Heavyweight Champion at last presented itself to him and Naito was ready to do whatever it took to capture it. Little did anyone know…
As the two fought on, a skull-masked man entered the ring and assaulted Okada, laying him out. The man unmasking himself to be Seiya Sanada, a newcomer to New Japan that wasn't signed with them, courtesy of Naito's surprise. Naito took advantage and, with Okada weakened, hit his finisher on him and won the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, capturing it at last.
The group found much success winning numerous titles, as Bushi won the CMLL World Welterweight and IWGP Junior Heavyweight titles, whilst Evil won the NEVER Openweight title and Naito would add the IWGP Intercontinetal title to his mantle as well, becoming arguably the most successful of New Japan's groups at the time.
But one more member would make his debut.
Hiromu Takahashi for the past three years had been wrestling for his excursion in Mexico and the US under the name Kamaitachi, and returned in November and issued a challenge to IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Kushida to face him at the Tokyo Dome at New Japan's biggest show, Wrestle Kingdom. A month later, Takahashi would appear during a tag match between Naito and the Los Ingobernables leader in Mexico, Rush, against Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kushida. As the match went on, Takahashi showed where his allegainces laid as he attacked and laid out Kushida. After the match Naito offered him a Los Ingobernables hat and Hiromu accepted it, bringing the group up to five.
Japanese sports newspaper Tokyo Sports cited LIJ's impact on NJPW as one of the main factors in the magazine naming Naito the 2016 Wrestler of the Year, ending a five-year run in which the award had been won by either Tanahashi or Okada.
- Naito has two, Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kazuchika Okada. His hatred for them seems to stem over the fact in 2014, the fans voted and elected Tanahashi's match to main event Wrestle Kingdom over his match — against Okada, who took things much more in stride and defeated Naito that night. Naito has never forgotten that.
- Bushi's arch enemy is Kushida as the two have faced one another over the IWGP Jr. title.
- Hiromu is looking to not only have Kushida, who he beat for the IWGP Jr. title at Wrestle Kingdom 11, but also Dragon Lee as well, the two having been longtime bitter enemies since Hiromu's time in CMLL, as Lee defeated the former Kamaitachi in a mask versus mask match. And now Bad Luck Fale is on his hit list for (almost) "killing" Daryl.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Wrestle Kingdom 11 saw all members of the group hold championship gold: Naito successfully defended the IWGP Intercontinental Championship against Hiroshi Tanahashi. Evil, Bushi and Sanada dethroned David Finlay, Satoshi Kojima and Ricochet to become the NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag champions, and Takahashi defeated Kushida to obtain the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Say what you will about them, but they do dress up nicely in the tuxedos and suits they wear to the ring.
- Batter Up!: Sanada carries a baseball bat to the ring and is fond of using it to choke out people. Funny, considering his boss was a former baseball player.
- Cargo Ship: Hiromu Takahashi formed an...attachment to the IWGP Jr. title, or Belt-san as he called it: staring at it longingly in photos, declaring that Belt-san spoke to him, even taking baths with it. After losing the title to Kushida at Dominion 2017, he has started carrying around a stuffed toy cat that he's named Daryl, who was later destroyed by Bad Luck Fale, though Hiromu has since posted a picture of Daryl recovering.
- Combat Sadomasochist: Hiromu Takahashi, who will sacrifice his body just to hurt his target; apt given his moniker of "Time Bomb". Much of his promos are done with him screaming "MORE!", as he willing accepts the opportunity to give and receive pain in equal measure.
- Cross Through: Rush, one of the members from the original Los Ingorbernables chapter from Mexico, has made several appearances alongside the Japanese faction. Naito's start in Los Ingobernables and formation of the Japon branch was the result of his own excursion in Mexico.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?:
- Sanada in the opening day of the 2016 G1 tournament opened a lot of eyes when he not only defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi, but forced him to submit.
- In the 2017 G1 Climax, Evil defeated Kazuchika Okada cleanly, the first time Okada had lost in a year.
- Evil Is Petty: The group has a thing against referees for some reason, as they constantly attack them after matches. Even when the ref is just doing his job and raising their hands after they won.
- Evil vs. Evil: Due to NJPW's faction warfare, they end up going against fellow Heel faction Bullet Club a lot.
- Four Is Death: Applied to the original group before Hiromu Takahashi's arrival, which helped when one of the members (Evil) cosplayed as the Grim Reaper.
- Five-Bad Band
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Evil carries a gauntlet in his entrance that shoots out lasers.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: The entire group is this. Naito was dismissed as an underachiever and is now the leader of them and the top Heel in the company. Watanabe was a friendly young man as a Young Lion, but that all changed when he became Evil and now comes out to the ring with a Sinister Scythe in hand dressed as the Grim Reaper, wrestling a much more vicious and brutal style. Bushi was mostly forgotten about and is now enjoying spewing poisonous and burning mist in people's faces. Sanada was once a friendly young man who failed the Young Lion program and has now adopted the nickname of "Cold Skull". Takahashi is also a former young lion whose sanity has gradually descended over the years to the point that he is now a psychopathic self-described "Ticking Time Bomb" who even the others find to be a bit insane. As such, their name of "the ungovernables of Japan" is not unwarranted; all of these men were unsuccessful or rejected before finding themselves as a band of outlaws who are now takin' the promotion by storm.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Naito, as the faction's leader and mouth piece, tends to introduce the group in Spanish as a homage to his time in Mexico with the original group. This also applies to Sanada, Evil and Takahashi's nicknames as Gratuitous English, with Hiromu taking the time to scream "TICKING TIME BOMB!!!" whenever he makes his entrance.
- Light Is Not Good: Don't be fooled by Naito's white tuxedo he wears, he's rotten to the core.
- Masked Luchador: Bushi, although not from Mexico, wears a mask and wrestles in the Lucha Libre style. While not masked, Takahashi wrestles a similar style thanks to his excursion to Mexico and the US.
- Not So Above It All: SANADA is generally the most stoic of the group. Hell he didn't even speak in a promo for NJPW for about 2 years. Compared to his compatriots, he's a stone. However, at times, ESPECIALLY against Toru Yano he finds his goofier side. He also enjoys putting people in the humiliating Paradise Lock, even beating Yano with it by countout on an occasion.
- Only Sane Man: Tetsuya Naito to his subordinates. While everyone has more outlandish gimmicks, ring names and outfits to go with them, he's the only member of the group to wrestle under his full name (until Takahashi arrived, plus Sanada is on a Last-Name Basis) and wears casual clothes to the ring.
- Obviously Evil:
- It should be obvious with the name alone, but Evil dresses as the Grim Reaper, is nicknamed the "King of Darkness", carries a scythe to the ring, and likes to bite opposing wrestlers.Evil: THIS IS EVIL! EVERYTHING IS EVIL!
- Sanada as well; comes out wearing a skull mask, with a bat slung on his shoulders that he's more than happy to use and the matter of his nickname "Cold Skull".
- It should be obvious with the name alone, but Evil dresses as the Grim Reaper, is nicknamed the "King of Darkness", carries a scythe to the ring, and likes to bite opposing wrestlers.
- Super Spit: Bushi has adopted spitting out mist ala The Great Muta.
- True Companions: Probably the best example for a New Japan Pro-Wrestling stable. Compared to CHAOS who are mostly business associates who rarely come to each other's aid, Taguchi Japan who is still a bit raw in teamwork, Suzuki-Gun who is just as liable to have Suzuki kill them all on a bad day, and Bullet Club who have their leaders kicked out every year or so, LIJ is often a band of brothers who never have issues even when forced to compete against one another. They truly care for one another as a family. That said, any time the members are forced to battle each other - EVIL battled Naito and SANADA in consecutive G1 Climaxes - they do so with no reservations about it and spare nothing in the ring, culminating in a shared fist bump near the end.
- Solidified in 2018 when Hiromu got injured. LIJ brings his denim jacket to the ring and fist bumps it as if he were there.
- Red Herring: During September, a masked figure appeared accompanying the group and many pegged him as the newest member, only to disappear without a trace after the Destruction shows. Although it's possible that it was Hiromu Takahashi under it before he officially joined them, considering how the masked man attacked Kushida, who Takahashi would challenge upon his return.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Subverted. Unlike pretty much every other faction in NJPW, LIJ is all equally competent. Both Naito and EVIL have picked up wins over Kazuchika Okada and SANADA has tapped out Hiroshi Tanahashi. Also both BUSHI and Hiromu have beaten KUSHIDA for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title. Make no mistake, it doesn't matter who it is, if you're in the ring with an LIJ member, you're in for a big fight.
- Weapon of Choice: Evil likes to put a chair around his opponent's neck, get another chair and SWING it at the chair on his opponent's neck. Sanada prefers choking out people with a baseball bat.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Jay Lethal for a time was an associate and ally of the group, but that changed when during a match he continued getting in Naito's way and Naito had enough of it and walked out on him. Naturally, Lethal didn't take this lying down and a match was set between them, which Naito was victorious in.