King Star King is an American animated television series from [adult swim], and easily one of their most polarizing shows to date (and that's really saying something). After losing a pilot contest to Übermansion (Later renamed Super Mansion), the show had 3 seasons and premiered on may 24th before eventually being Screwed by the Network. The pilot episode aired on Toonami, prompting a very mixed reaction from the Toonami viewers, who went online to either praise the show or hate it. As a result, King Star King has a strong hatedom and an equally as strong fandom.
The plot of the pilot episode can be described as such: "The series revolves around the titular character, King Star King (Tommy Blacha): a tall, blond muscular man, who is the king of the flying Rubix cube. Who finds the love of his life, the prince of the moon, Prince Hotty. Who is so hot that EVERYONE wants to have sex with him. But after he trips on a car (really) he falls from his cube to serve as a fry cook in a run-down waffle house in New Jersey called The Shoe. Run by the cowardly ex-baseball player Hank Waffles, The Shoe is a less than desirable place to work. But it is here that King Star King meets the V-Duck who tells him of his cousin, The Super-Wizard, who has the power to get King Star King back to the flying Rubix Cube. So V-Duck turns The shoe into it's creature form and they head off to find the Super-Wizard." the Got all that? It's actually even more surreal, nonsensical, and outright ridiculous than it sounds. Past the pilot, the heroes encounter Ed G Teen, who wants to kill the Super-Wizard because Ed thinks that the Super-Wizard is stealing his drawings.
After the season 1 finale, King Star King finally meets the Super-Wizard, who grants him access back to the Flying Rubix Cube. It's here that he finally marries Prince Hotty, who is crowned "King 2" of the Flying Rubix Cube. However things aren't all happy, as Hotty's ex-girlfriend, Bloody Blood War, becomes jealous of King Star King and attempts to overthrow him and get back with Hotty.
The show is perhaps best described as Superjail! on bath salts. With its graphic gore, non-stop over-the-top sexism, grotesque drug-fueled surrealism, deviant sexual behavior, and completely random, nonsensical plots, King Star King is - to put it mildly - definitely not for everyone. Like many other [adult swim] shows such as The Eric Andre Show and Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, King Star King is about as polarizing as a show can possibly be.
YOU'LL NEED BRAIN BLEACH.
This show provides examples of nothing, considering the amount of commented out examples:
- Acid-Trip Dimension: The entire show takes place in one.
- Anatomically Impossible Sex: A vast understatement.
- Anti-Hero: Virtually everyone is a Type V.
- Anything That Moves: Pretty much every single character will gladly have sex with anyone and anything.
- Black Comedy
- Bloody Hilarious
- Body Horror: Very frequent, and usually Played for Laughs in some way (although, given the nature of the show, it can be very hard to tell when the writers are trying to be funny or not). Almost every scene features some sort of 'injury', from eyes bursting to heads being broken open, and yet the characters are all fine in the next scene.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Everyone.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Though how much of it is meant for comedy is anyone's guess.
- Crapsack World: An unusually surreal example.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Pretty much every single death on the show (of which there are many) qualifies as this.
- Cute and Psycho: Burger Bitch, just without the "Cute" part.
- Deranged Animation: The absolute epitome of this trope.
- Dirty Coward: Hank Waffles. His cowardly nature is what attracts Burger Bitch to him, as she is turned on by cowardliness.
- Disposable Sex Worker: Every single female character, with the possible exception of Snow White.
- Dumb Muscle: King Star King.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The pilot episode has a slightly different style due to having been animated by Mirari rather than Titmouse, who animated the rest of the series.
- Eldritch Abomination: These are EVERYWHERE.
- Eldritch Location: Lots of places.
- Gag Boobs: Nearly every female character has huge breasts that constantly Gainax.
- Grotesque Cute: Some of the female characters and child characters on the show can be said to qualify as this.
- Impossible Hourglass Figure: Every female character.
- Insane Troll Logic: It's pretty much the only kind of logic found on the show.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence
- Nigh-Invulnerability: The titular King Star King and his partners are practically unkillable. This is shown impressively when King Star King had all of his internal organs (including his freaking brain) shot out with a machine gun before getting hit with a nuclear Easter Bunny egg. He not only got up after this ordeal, but he only needed a cigar and 2 alcoholic beverages to heal himself.
- Public Domain Soundtrack: It's not every day you come across a show that has the "Ode to Joy" playing in one scene, followed by "Hungarian Dance #5" in the next.
- Random Events Plot: Using the word "plot" is definitely stretching things, but the show is certainly about as random as anything can possibly get.
- Really Gets Around: Again, pretty much everyone on the show.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: King Star King calls himself royalty so apparently that's not just his name. What he is the king of remains uncertain.
- Scenery Gorn: Full of loads and loads of it.
- Stuff Blowing Up: And how! Almost everyone in the show is shown exploding from something, to the point that it's almost Once an Episode!
- Surreal Horror: And how.