King Star King is an short-lived cartoon from [adult swim], and easily one of their most polarizing shows to date (and that's really saying something). Despite losing a pilot contest to Übermansion (Later renamed SuperMansion), the series was greenlit for 6 additional episodes. The pilot episode aired on Toonami in late 2013 alongside Sword Art Online during an daylight saving time, prompting a very mixed to negative reaction from the Toonami viewers, who went online to either praise the show or hate it. As a result, King Star King has a strong hatedom.
The series revolves around the titular character, King Star King (Tommy Blacha): a perverted demigod who was kicked off the Heavenly Realm and gets served to work in the Wafflezone restaurant. As he must battle his amnesia to defeat the evil Spring Bunny and rescue his love Snow White.
At least, that's how it goes for the pilot and first episode. After King Star King and his new friends hilariously (and violently) fail to save Princess Snow White, they undergo a variety of nightmarish and disjointed adventures.
In February 13th, 2023, a special named King Star King!/!/!, taking place years after the end of the series, got aired.
The show is perhaps best described as Superjail! on bath salts. With its graphic gore, non-stop over-the-top sexism, grotesque drug-fueled surrealism, deviant sexual behavior, and completely random, nonsensical plots, King Star King is - to put it mildly - definitely not for everyone. Like many other [adult swim] shows such as The Eric Andre Show and Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, King Star King is about as polarizing as a show can possibly be.
YOU'LL NEED BRAIN BLEACH.
This show provides examples of nothing, considering the amount of commented out examples:
- Acid-Trip Dimension: The entire show takes place in one.
- Anatomically Impossible Sex: A vast understatement.
- Anti-Hero: Virtually everyone is a Type V.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: If characters having random everyday items for organs is of any indication.
- Black Comedy: Of the very sadistic and depraved kind.
- Bloody Hilarious: Although the writers made the sadistic, nonchalant violence more gross than humorous in this case.
- Body Horror: Very frequent, and usually Played for Laughs in some way (although, given the nature of the show, it can be very hard to tell when the writers are trying to be funny or not). Almost every scene features some sort of 'injury', from eyes bursting to heads being broken open, and yet the characters are all fine in the next scene.
- The Bully: Tim Tumor. He even sings a little jingle about how awful he is.
- Cartoon Creature: Gurbles looks like an fluffy piece of fecal matter with human arms and a long-nosed head in the belly, but it's justified that he is actually some kind of alien bear.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Everyone.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Though how much of it is meant for comedy is anyone's guess.
- Crapsack World: An unusually surreal example.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Pretty much every single death on the show (of which there are many) qualifies as this.
- Cute and Psycho: Burger Bitch, just without the "Cute" part.
- Deranged Animation: The absolute epitome of this trope.
- Dirty Coward: Hank Waffles. His cowardly nature is what attracts Burger Bitch to him, as she is turned on by cowardliness.
- Disposable Sex Worker: Every single female character, with the possible exception of Snow White.
- Dumb Muscle: King Star King.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: The pilot episode has a slightly different style due to having been animated by Mirari Films (of The Drinky Crow Show and The Problem Solverz fame) rather than Titmouse, who animated the rest of the series.
- Gorn: This show is seriously messed-up and sadistic in the gore department.
- Grotesque Cute: Some of the female characters and child characters on the show can be said to qualify as this.
- Impossible Hourglass Figure: Every female character.
- Insane Troll Logic: It's pretty much the only kind of logic found on the show.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Of the disturbing variety.
- Jerkass Gods: God Star God.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: The titular King Star King and his partners are practically unkillable. This is shown impressively when King Star King had all of his internal organs (including his freaking brain) shot out with a machine gun before getting hit with a nuclear Easter Bunny egg. He not only got up after this ordeal, but he only needed a cigar and 2 alcoholic beverages to heal himself.
- Psychopathic Manchild: A large number of characters.
- Public Domain Soundtrack: It's not every day you come across a show that has the "Ode to Joy" playing in one scene, followed by "Hungarian Dance #5" in the next.
- Quarter Hour Short: As with the vast majority of the [adult swim] line-up.
- Random Events Plot: Using the word "plot" is definitely stretching things, but the show is certainly about as random as anything can possibly get.
- Really Gets Around: Again, pretty much everyone on the show.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: King Star King calls himself royalty so apparently that's not just his name. What he is the king of remains uncertain.
- Scenery Gorn: Full of loads and loads of it.
- Stuff Blowing Up: And how! Almost everyone in the show is shown exploding from something, to the point that it's almost Once an Episode!
- Surreal Horror: And how.
- Testosterone Poisoning: As expected for a parody of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
- World of Buxom: Nearly every female character has huge breasts with constant bouncing.
- Your Head Asplode: Seen many, many, many times.