The series consists of 15 to 20 minute animatic shorts featuring Sonic and the gang around Christmas time. All Sonic wants is to spend Christmas at home by himself, but each year he's forced to spend Christmas with his family and by extension his friends. All the while, Eggman just wants to be a part of the festivities.
There's also a sub-plot throughout each episode about Rouge's courtship of Sorass, the extremely buff and dimwitted Echidna from the channel's previous video The OMG most Original fanfic Idea EVER.
Sonia, Manic, and Aleena have also been imported from Sonic Underground and recasted as a modern day family as opposed to royalty.
There are currently seven episodes released:
- Christmas With Sonic (2011): Sonic is roped into a Christmas Party at his mom's house on Tails' behalf, only to get snowed in during a blizzard.
- Another Christmas With Sonic (2012): Sonic and friends decides to tell Christmas stories this year, with their own spin on things.
- Yet Another Christmas With Sonic (2013): With Tails leaving for the holidays, Sonic decides to feign sickness to get out of the annual Christmas party. Unfortunately, he gets more than he bargains for.
- Christmas With Eggman (2014): Seeking revenge for getting kicked out last year, Eggman traps Sonic and Co. in his lair to force them to spend Christmas with the Robotnik family.
- Christmas With Sonic in Paradise (2015): Sonic and the gang are trap on a deserted island following a plane accident.
- Christmas With Silver (2016): Aleena decides to let Silver host this year's Christmas party... to less than favorable results.
- Christmas With Sonic Reunion (2018): Sonic prepares for another Christmas Party with the family... only for an uninvited guest to come in and ruin the fun.
The series is very popular among Balena Productions' other works, and is highly anticipated each year.
Christmas with Sonic provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Amy, in Sonic's eyes. Tails also has a fangirl to deal, with according to Sonic in the first episode.
- Abusive Parent: Episode 3 reveals that Sonic's father Stan was shown to be an emotionally abuse father to his children, particularly around Christmas. Him walking out on Sonic's family left emotional scars on Sonic, which explains why he was initially bitter about the Christmas season. Stan makes his physical debut in the latest episode, Reunion, and he's still at it. He claims to have come back to be part of the family again, but he was really trying mooch off of Sonic's fame.
- Batman Cold Open: Episode 7 starts with Sonic and Eggman duking it out as usual... only for the clock to chime Christmas Eve, signaling their truce for the season.
- Berserk Button: Don't mention Sonic's father around Aleena.
- Big Eater: Vector, which Aleena at one point uses to motivate him to help out in Christmas In Paradise.
- Brick Joke: In episode 3, Manic has trouble remembering Silver's name and calls him Stan for the entire series. Reunion reveals Sonic's father is in fact named Stan. When Manic first sees him, he declares "It's Silver-!"
- Butt-Monkey: Eggman in the first episode, as his attempts to steal everyone's presents left him out hungry and in the cold while watching Sonic & friends eating Christmas dinner from the window.
- Amy in the first episode, as well. Sonic ended up chucking her out the window after she crawled into bed with him.
- Silver across the entire SERIES. All throughout the series he's the butt of the most painful jokes, and usually the cause of what ever disaster falls upon the gang on Christmas.
- Charmy as well, on a few occasions.
- The Cameo: Cream only shows up once in Sonic's rendition of 'The Eggman Who Stole Christmas'.
- Conker, Ristar, and Toejam and Earl show up in the Island of Forgotten Game Characters during Manic's telling of Rudolph.
- Canon Immigrant: Sonia, Manic, and Aleena from Sonic Underground make a return, though now as a modern family instead of royalty.
- Counting to Three: Aleena pulls this on Sonic after he tries to leave in the first episode.Aleena: "One..."
Sonic: "Mom...don't you think I'm a little old for that?"
Sonic: "ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!....how does that work??"
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Silver's psychic powers finally come into play in "Christmas with Silver" where he uses it to fling the bear that usually mauls him away, and later using it to stop his trailer from falling off a cliff with Eggman's mother inside. Granted, both attempts ended up backfiring, but he at least looked cool doing it.
- A Day in the Limelight: In "Christmas with Silver", Silver finally gets his chance to shine when he hosts the annual Christmas party. It goes about as well as you would expect: it falls woefully short of everyone's expectations (he lives in a cramped, messy trailer; his ingredients are so bad, not even Shadow can salvage it, etc.), and they make no secret of their disdain for Silver within earshot. However, Sonic and the gang quickly cheer him up, saying that for all his bumbling, it at least made them all closer together.
- Disappeared Dad: While some hints that he wasn't around were dropped in the first episode. It turns out the reason Sonic is such a grump on Christmas is because of bad memories of his father, who walked out on them one Christmas and never came back.
- Dude, Not Funny!: Sonic's reaction to Eggman smashing open Aleena's house in Episode 2:Sonic: "DUDE....This is my MOM'S house!!"
- Downer Ending: According to Silver, anyway. Episode 2 ended abruptly after Alenna states Silver wasn't invited because they simply don't like him. Silver then repeatedly pops up in the credits whining about the ending until a bear mauls him offscreen.
- Eat the Evidence: After narrowly avoiding Amy, Sonic grabs and swallows the mistletoe he was under, only to retch after he does so.Tails: "You DO know that was plastic right?"
Sonic: "And later when we're at home...YOU'LL KNOW WHERE I'LL BE!!"
- Invisible Parents: Tails talks about his parents fairly often, though we never see them. All we know is that they live in Hawaii.
- As of Episode 5, we finally get to meet Tails' parents.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Eggman and Sonic are for the most part willing to put everything aside to get together for Christmas.. When circumstances don't turn them on each other that is.
- Have a Gay Old Time: Invoked in Episode 2:Narrator: "Everyone all Festive and Gay"
- Hate Sink: Sonic's father Stan, as stated above, is an emotionally Abusive Parent, who walked out on his family. He returns in Reunion, and he quickly makes a poor impression of himself by insulting Tails' father for being Canadian, and insults Shadow's well-prepared and perfectly edible cooking (the latter of which comes off as ironic since Stan has only ever cooked meals that caught fire and burned to a crisp). To make matters worse, he tried to mooch off of his eldest son's fame, showing his greed. As soon as Sonic leaves, Stan goes on to disown him and Manic, who really wanted to give his father a Second Chance, which is a real Kick the Dog moment for him. He's shown to be quite the Hypocrite, when he insinuates that his family abandoned him, when really, it was the other way around. That Megaton Punch Aleena gave him was well deserved.
- Heroic BSoD: Shadow finally loses his perfect streak of excellent Christmas dinners when confronted with Silver's kitchen, and proceeds to curl up in a fetal position for the rest of the episode.
- Heroism Won't Pay the Bills: Sonic reveals to Stan that he doesn't get paid to save the world from Eggman, much to his bewilderment. Sonic doesn't mind it though, believing that keeping everyone safe is reward enough
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sonic goes to great lengths to get out of the annual Christmas meetup and just wants to be left alone, but it turns out the reason he doesn't just outright say he wants out is because Sonic's father was a bastard who walked out on them on Christmas, and he doesn't want to end up like him and upset his mother though as of Episode 4 and 5 he's gotten past this and has warmed up to it.Tails: "Aw, you DO have a heart!"
Sonic: "Yeah, well now I'm choking on it..."
- Large Ham: Vector might as well be a pig instead of a crocodile.
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo: Justin Beaver and Grills the Bear.
- Non-Standard Character Design: While everyone is portrayed in their modern incarnation, Eggman is drawn in his Genesis-era look while keeping his Modern voice.
- No Fourth Wall: The characters (usually Sonic) regularly address the audience on multiple occasions. An example would be Sonic calling out the writers to addressing the viewer about Silver's abuse.
- Playing Sick: Sonic attempts this in episode 3 to stay home and watch a racing show instead of visiting his family. As expected, it backfires.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Reunion opens with Sonic and Eggman battling in Ice Cap Zone. Eggman is seconds away from crushing Sonic with one of his machines until his watch beeps and signals the start of Christmas Eve, which means the annual truce is in affect and he let's Sonic go on the spot, with the two parting ways happily talking about the party coming up.
- Real Men Cook: Shadow of all people turns out to be a master chef, and after helping Aleena in the first episode, his Christmas dinners are highly anticipated by the rest of the crew each year.Shadow: "DON'T TOUCH THAT CINNAMON!!"
Aleena: "Excuse me?"
Shadow: "The cinnamon...it....overwhelms the delicate taste of the sweet potatoes. Here, add a pinch of salt. That will bring out the sweetness."
Aleena: Why, I didn't think you were one to cook.
Shadow: Me... cook? It's what I live for!
- Running Gag: No matter what, Silver always gets mauled by a bear in every episode. Strangely, there's no bear to be seen mauling Silver in episode 7
- Shout-Out: In-universe example; While watching a racing show on TV, one of the racers boasts that the cars are so fast 'they'd make Sonic the Hedgehog turn his head'. Sonic then turns to the viewer and asks if he can sue for that.
- Spoof Aesop: In Episode 2, Sonic tells a fairly faithful rendition of the story of The Grinch with Eggman taking the role, up until the very end where Sonic suddenly appears as the hero and defeats him.Sonia: "Wasn't there a moral about the true meaning of christmas? The Eggman seeing the err of his ways?
Sonic: "The moral is...don't steal my stuff."
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Silver finally gets some sympathy after the gang accidentally insults him when he hosts the Christmas party, and while bemoaning his previous screw-ups, they tell him that all of them for better or worse led to good things in the end.