- "Farewell, Atelier.
This adventure shall live on in our memories."
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout is twenty-first mainline game in the Atelier series, and the first in a new continuity. The game is set for release on September 26 2019 in Japan, October 29 in North America, and November 1 in Europe on the PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Steam.
Reisalin "Ryza" Stout lives a mundane life in her small village. Dreaming of excitement, she and her friends encounter an elderly magician while exploring an island, and he teaches Ryza how to use alchemy. This marks the start of an adventure that will lead her to save her hometown...
Atelier Ryza contains examples of the following tropes:
- Art Evolution: Pretty much all of the gameplay footage showcases more fluid animations (such as side-stepping through a narrow gap) and vastly improved lighting and shadow effects (such as lens flare, and a windmill whose blades cast moving shadows onto the landscape and characters).
- BFS: Gameplay footage and screenshots show Lent Marslink wielding a gigantic sword longer than he is tall.
- Ms. Fanservice: Ryza has Jiggle Physics on her model (as seen in the first gameplay reveal, where she is made to jump up and down to demonstrate), and in an interview, producer Junzo Hosoi revealed that character designer Toridamono put special focus on Ryza's thighs, which is shown in the storefront trailer which starts with a closeup of her legs.
- Simple Staff: Following Atelier tradition, Ryza attacks by swinging her staff at enemies, as seen in the first gameplay reveal.
- Sword Beam: More like Hammer Beam, but in the first gameplay reveal, Tao Mongarten attacks by swinging his hammer, launching energy waves at enemies.