Reisalin "Ryza" Stout
The main character of this work, a girl who is considered mediocre by her village and has no outstanding talents. Still, she's free-spirited and boyish, has a strong sense of justice, and doesn't bend to other's whims. But when she met an alchemist, she became tired of boring everyday life, changing her entire destiny.
- Bare Your Midriff: Ryza's tank top has a very subtly raised hem, showing a hint of her belly button.
- Jumped at the Call: Even before discovering alchemy, Ryza is actively searching for a call to adventure.
- Farmer's Daughter: Ryza was raised on a farm, and is a tomboy with a taste for adventure. She also dresses the part with her short shorts.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Ryza's belt sits lopsided at her waist, and she only wears her right glove but not the left.
- Magic-Powered Pseudoscience: True to almost every Atelier protagonist, Ryza possesses an innate ability that allows her to perform alchemy despite it also being treated akin to science (repeatable outcomes, predictable results, recipes, etc.) Empel outright states that he needs to assess whether she has an innate talent before moving forward with alchemy lessons.
- Ms. Fanservice: Ryza's design is more overtly sexualized than previous Atelier protagonists (who tend to lean more towards "cute" than "sexy"). She has Jiggle Physics on her model, and in an interview, producer Junzo Hosoi revealed that character designer Toridamono put special focus on Ryza's thighs, which is shown in the storefront trailer which starts with a closeup of her legs. One of her DLC outfits is just her regular clothes without her jacket, and it shows off even more skin.
- Nice Hat: She has a cute beret-like hat with a black ribbon tied about it in a fashion that makes it resemble rabbit ears.
- Shipper on Deck: Believes there's more to Empel and Lila's travelling together than professional synergy.
- Simple Staff: Following Atelier tradition, Ryza attacks by swinging her staff at enemies.
- Tomboy: She's one of the more active members of her circle of friends.
- Utility Belt: A purely cosmetic one that holds some phials and bottles.
- Vapor Wear: One of Ryza's DLC costumes is simply her regular outfit without her jacket; it reveals that her tank top is cut low enough in the back and sides that it is impossible for her to be wearing a bra.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Ryza certainly does; her shorts appear to be short enough that there is barely enough material to cover her buttocks, and the side seams are split, with straps sewn on to hold the whole thing together - based on appearance alone, Ryza might have well been wearing the same pair of shorts since her early childhood, and patched them up with straps once she actually outgrew them and split the seams.
Ryza and Tao's childhood friend. For some reason, the village treats him coldly, and someday he wants to make it big and look back at the villagers. He tend to frighten young people, but he's really quite friendly. He also has a strong common sense, and often stops Ryza's more outlandish actions.
- BFS: His main Weapon of Choice is a gigantic sword that is almost as long as he is tall.
- The Big Guy: Lent is the largest and most combative of Ryza's friends, using his strength to keep the group safe.
Ryza and Lent's childhood friend. He always carries esoteric old books in his underground library and continues his own decoding work. Therefore, he is treated as a stranger by villagers. He's a small person and not good at socializing, but he will not abandon his friends. He also has an intellectual curiosity similar to tenacity, and a concentration that separates him from ordinary people.
- Book Worm: His personal goal while working with Empel is to learn how to translate a lost language that is found in a number of books in the library. After founding Atelier Ryza, he moves piles of books to the hideout as well.
- Boys Like Creepy Critters: Averted. He will occasionally voice his disgust when you collect insect materials.
- Cowardly Lion: Tao often expresses doubt about the party's next adventure, and tries to convince them to reconsider, but in the end he always goes along with them because he'd never abandon his friends.
- Monster Compendium: Some of his personal Party Skill unlocks are tied to the completion of the guides monster section.
- Nerd Glasses: Tao is the nerdiest party member, being obsessed with reading and translating his ancient books, and this trait of his is visually represented by the large, round glasses he wears.
- The Smart Guy: Tao is the bookworm of the gang: his motivation for joining the adventure was to learn how to read ancient script from Empel.
- Sword Beam: More like Hammer Beam, but Tao Mongarten attacks by swinging his hammer, launching energy waves at enemies.
A young lady from a merchant family who came to the village where Ryza lives. Because she was traveling with her father who runs a business, she had no chance to make close friends. Has a decent personality, but it has an indistinguishable line, and it's surprisingly laid down.
- Hero of Another Story: Gets the chance to be the protagonist in the stand-alone Atelier Klaudia DLC.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Due to her father's job as a trade tycoon, she's never stayed in one spot long enough to make friends as his job involves travelling from place to place in order to create new business opportunities. However, since the trade project in Kurken is more complex than usual, they end up staying for a longer period of time, during which she becomes a member of Ryza's circle of friends.
- Missing Mom: Klaudias mom suffered from an unnamed illness. Doubles as her Freudian Excuse, since she says she once gave a flute recital to her mother and father after her mother taught her how to play. Since then, every time she plays for her father he looks sad, hence why she is so reluctant to play in front of people.
- Musical Assassin: Claudio's weapon is a flute, which damages enemies with its music.
A former full-time alchemist who visited the village where Ryza lives. Contrary to his young appearance, there is a mysterious persistence, and a mature demeanor. An incident that occurred in the past has made it impossible to handle advanced alchemy.
- Batman Gambit: Pulls one off when summoned by the village. To elaborate, Empel and Lila are accused of causing the dragon to attack and being the cause of why the fishermen can no longer catch anything, despite Ryza pointing out the truth. Knowing Bos pride would lead to this kind of situation, Empel has Ryza use her alchemy skills to develop a monster attractor and has it triggered to go off during the trial. This lets him prove his innocence, deal with the monster, and do so in a place away from Kurken.
- Career-Ending Injury: Has a nerve injury in his arm due to messing up a synthesis for a powerful explosive, which stops him from fighting or doing complex alchemy. You later make him a prosthetic arm which helps him get back into the fight.
- Expy: Empel plays a very similar role to Keithgriff from Atelier Ayesha, being a retired alchemist who takes on a mentor role for the protagonist and is later revealed to be investigating and combating the harm caused by abuse of alchemy by the Abusive Precursors.
- Freudian Excuse: Why Empel shuts down any discussion of Ryza using alchemy to help fix his arm. At first Ryza thinks he must find the alchemic recipe for a prosthetic immoral since its from the Klint kingdom. In reality, Empel has been carrying around a lot of trust issues since being betrayed by an alchemist he trusted. Lila points out that Ryza is the change for good he has been searching for in alchemy. Hes able to overcome his issues and expresses excitement at working alongside another alchemist again.
- Genius Sweet Tooth: Empel is an ex-alchemy master and magician, and also loves his sweets, despite him not really looking like the type to have a sweet tooth. His menu portrait shows him holding a pink frosted donut in his mouth while reading an ancient scroll. A DLC mini-chapter involves making the donut, and apparent it's obscenely sweet.
- Item Caddy: One of his benefits as a party member is being able to equip four core items for use in battle or the field.
- Kangaroo Court: Invokes this trope by name when receiving a summons to appear before the village council.
- Magic Staff: Like Ryza, he also wields a staff, but unlike her, he uses it as a ranged weapon, firing magic attacks from the back line.
- Mentor Archetype: He can't use alchemy anymore, but he helps Ryza discover her own alchemy talents. He's also a mentor to Tao, to a lesser extent, giving him pointers on how to read Klint Kingdom script and getting him started on translating ancient books.
- The Exile: Is actually living in exile from the Rotewasser kingdom. He reveals that he used to be a court alchemist, but fell victim to a scheme by a fellow alchemist whom he trusted deeply.
A wandering female warrior who visited the village with Empel. She has a mysterious appearance and high fighting power, and teaches Ryza practical ways of fighting. For a certain purpose, she is investigating the ruins on Kurken Island with Empel.
- Big Eater: Pretty much anything she has to say about gathering materials has to do with eating.
- Boobs of Steel: Lila is a powerful and experienced warrior, and also has ridiculously huge breasts.
- Demihuman: Lila has grey skin and hair, claw-like fingernails fur-or feather-like fluff around her forearms, and what seems to be very large hears folded back against her hair. Later it's revealed that she's of a race called the Oren, natives to the Underworld.
- Really 700 Years Old: Lila is actually an Oren, a long-lived species from the Underworld. She's been around since the age of the Klint Kingdom.
- Wolverine Claws: Lila's Weapon of Choice is a pair of oversized metal claws.
Karl StoutRyza's father. He runs a farm next to the family's house in the village of Kurken.
- Gentle Touch vs. Firm Hand: Is the gentle touch to Mio's firm hand. He believes that by showing infinite patience to Ryza she will eventually come around to being responsible to her duties on the family farm.
- In Harmony with Nature: Has shades of this. He describes the farm as a living being and talks about the importance of listening to what the fields are saying.
Mio StoutRyza's mother. She works the family farm alongside her husband Karl. She is often depicted scolding Ryza for shirking her duties.
- Gentle Touch vs. Firm Hand: Of Ryza's parents, you can expect Mio to be the one who comes down on Ryza like a ton of bricks.
Lubert ValentzKlaudia's father. He is the head of a large trading company established in his first generation and lives with a caravan.
- Meal Ticket: Seen this way by the local townsfolk. Many of them express excitement at the prospect of redeveloping the village using Lubert's wealth.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He is understandably reluctant to have his sheltered daughter running around fighting monsters with nobody for protection but a few barely-trained kids; when his daughter makes it clear how determined she is, though, he's willing to set tests to let you prove you can protect her. The tests he chooses are reasonable (only the final one has any real danger), and he reveals midway through that he was actually giving you a chance to prove yourself to other villagers as much as to him, since he realizes they haven't recognized your growth.
Bos BrunnenThe only son of the Brunen family, the leading figure in the village where Ryza live.
- The Atoner: When he finds out just how the Brunnen family came to control the island's water supply, he becomes determined to personally make it right.
- The Bully: Bos is often seen antagonizing Ryza and her friends, whether through verbal or physical assault.
- Freudian Excuse: There's a reason why he's constantly bullying Ryza and her friends: when they were younger, Ryza fell into a raging river. While Lent and Tao tried to hold on to her, Bos ran off to get help. However, the other friends misunderstood his intentions and thought he was abandoning him. Since them, he's always been trying to prove to them that he's not a coward.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Bos is always bullying Ryza and her friends, but deep inside he's a good person. When he learns that his family's fortune was built on water stolen from the Underworld, he's horrified, and even tries destroying the water orb. Shortly afterwards, he becomes friends with the gang once again.
- Ship Tease: A lot of his interactions with Ryza early in the story border on Belligerent Sexual Tension. Later in the story, it seems that his intentions with Kilo are a little more personal than the matter of honor that develops during the story.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: While his father actually seem appropriately supportive of him, Bos is nonetheless driven by a desire to do right by his family name. He's not fighting to earn his father's respect, but rather to maintain it.
Moritz BrunnenBos's father, a powerful man who controls the water source of the village where Ryza lives.
Lumbar DornBos' friend and lackey, often seen following him and going along with his plans.
Samuel MarslinkLent's father. Samuel is a washed-up ex-mercenary who is now an abusive drunkard.
- Abusive Parents: Often physically hits his son Lent when he gets angry.
- The Alcoholic: He is often seen drunk, to the point where in one scene, Ryza is surprised to see him sober.
- Hidden Depths: On scene reveals that he collects coins, and has quite an extensive knowledge of them.
KiloAn Oren woman called a spirit messenger. She keeps fighting alone to protect important things.
- In the Hood: Wears a dark blue and silvery pancho with a hood that covers most of her face
- Peek-a-Bangs: As if the hood didn't conceal her enough.