Victoria Falls: A Post-Collapse American Nation Quest is a play-by-post Quest roleplay created by PoptartProdigy on Sufficient Velocity.com, based on William S. Lind's Victoria. It began on 11 March 2019.
Set 25 years after the events of the book, the North American continent is a warzone of survivor communities and successor states. Standing triumphant above them all is Victoria, a totalitarian Retroculturalist nation stretching from Quebec to New York state. With backing from the New Russian Empire, Victoria keeps those who challenge its control over the former United States subjugated and its neighbors intimidated.
The players take control of the Commonwealth of Free Cities, a Midwestern successor state on a mission to bring Victoria to is knees and restore the United States to its former glory.
This article Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Victoria Falls features the following tropes:
- Adaptational Villainy: "Father Dimitri", portrayed in Lind's novel as the "unofficial liaison" of Czar Alexander IV, is now an Okhrana agent who was tasked with forcing the collapse of the United States by assisting Rumford and Kraft in the Civil War. Once the mission was complete, he had them both assassinated and covered up their deaths.
- Based on a Great Big Lie: Many of the events of the novel are largely fictional, altered by the Victorian government to enhance its image as the heroic nation conquering the "Cultural Marxists" within the United States. The actual events are revealed to have been much more convoluted and complex:
- New York City never joined Victoria. "Father Dimitri" had in fact barely managed to dissuade Rumford and Kraft from launching a potentially costly invasion against the city.
- Rumford's war with "Azania", the Amazonian-led successor state of California, was actually a poorly-led campaign against the Pacific Republic. Victoria only "won" by exhausting California's resources through a combination of attrition and a Russian naval blockade.
- Break Out the Museum Piece:
- Russian-imported T-34 tanks, along with BMP-1s and BTR-60s, are the main armored force of the Victorian military.
- A significant chunk of the Commonwealth Air Force consists of literal museum pieces, refurbished because no other jet aircraft were available after a generation of Russian/Victorian pillaging of the American heartland. The resulting air corps is obsolescent even by Victorian standards. They are utterly outmatched by Victorian numbers and F-16 fighters except that the New California Republic has extensively sabotaged the Victorians' missiles and engines.
- Divided States of America: Factions include:
- The Commonwealth of Free Cities, a parliamentary republic based out of Chicago and expanding into the Great Lakes region.
- Victoria, formerly the Northern Confederation, is a fascist totalitarian state currently in control of much of the Eastern Seaboard, stretching from Quebec's eastern coast to the New York-Pennsylvania border.
- The Free City of New York, an independent city-state currently in control of NYC proper and all of Long Island. It acts as a haven for all anti-Victorian refugees and is kept alive by European aid.
- The New California Republic, a democratic nation whose policies and political affairs are under direct Russian oversight.
- An unknown democratic enclave in Miami.
- Great Offscreen War: Many of the Commonwealth's leaders are veterans of Chicago's bloody war against the Nazis, which took place at some point between the end of the novel and the start of the Quesrt.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: During his tenure as Commonwealth's first President, Burns was too busy juggling internal matters and military build-up to give attention to foreign (meaning non-Commonwealth Americans) diplomacy, and this allowed the Victorians to spread propaganda to nearby communities that the Commonwealth were warmongers that wanted to conquer them, making them stay neutral during the Victoria's Invasion of Detroit.
- Invaded States of America:
- Russia has annexed Alaska in its entirety, with the New California Republic and Puerto Rico as its client states.
- Imperial Japan currently controls the Hawaiian Islands, Oregon, Washington, and all of British Columbia west of the Cascade Mountains.
- Make the Bear Angry Again: Imperial Russia is now the world's dominant superpower, under the leadership of Czar Alexander IV.
- Too Dumb to Live: The Victorian Air Force: While competent in air-to-air combat, Lind's "Fourth Generation Warfare" forces them into this during air-to-ground combat. Not only are they lacking air-to-ground weaponry, but their doctrine calls for flying in close formation against surface-to-air batteries, the idea being that the missiles will misinterpret their formation as massive singular aircraft and fly through the center of the formation, sparing the planes. In reality, all SAM missiles since the Cold War have been equipped with proximity fuses as standard issue, allowing the Commonwealth to lay waste to the VAF.