Spoilers for all characters will be unmarked.
Commonwealth of Free Cities
Born out of the post-Collapse Revivalist Movement, the Chicago-led Commonwealth of Free Cities is newest American successor state, committed to the ideals of liberal democracy with the intent of to restoring the old United States.
- The Federation: Currently adopting the parliamentary model of democracy.
- Superior Successor: One of the Commonwealth's many aims is to avoid the mistakes and fix the flaws of the old United States.
A veteran of Chicago's war against the neo-Nazis, Sara Johnson rose to prominence as the Mayor of Chicago and oversaw the city's reconstruction. She currently serves as the President of the Commonwealth.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: She and Goldblum are old high school friends, and rarely seen without each other.
- Our Presidents Are Different: President Iron, especially when it comes to facing down Victoria.
The former leader of the Iron Brigade, Wisconsinite Sara Goldblum is Johnson's most trusted advisor and friend, currently serving as her Assistant Secretary of Defense for Munitions. Hardened into militancy by the chaos of the American Collapse and the horrors inflicted by the "Wisconsin Landwehr", Goldblum seeks nothing less than Victoria's total annihilation.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Johnson, to the point they're often referred to as "The Saras".
- Properly Paranoid: She sleeps with a live claymore mine to deter assassination attempts.
The Field Commander of the Commonwealth Army, Ron Burns is one of the few surviving officers of the pre-Collapse United States military. Following the fall of the Pacific Republic, he spent 25 years as the nomadic warlord leader of the "Devil Brigade" before settling in Chicago, whereupon he helped the leaders of Wisconsin and Illinois organize a constitutional convention to found the Commonwealth of Free Cities.
- A Father to His Men: Burns has somehow managed to keep his Devil Brigade, formerly the 1-16th Infantry Battalion of the 1st Infantry Division, alive and operational for 40 years.
- Disaster Scavengers: He and his Devil Brigade used to be a band of this, fighting off Victorians and avoiding Russian airstrikes.
- Old Soldier: Burns and his battalion came home from an overseas tour to a collapsed nation. He then spent 14 years fighting Victoria alongside the New American Confederation, Cascadia, and the Pacific Republic before spending another 25 as a nomadic warlord.
- Rank Up: Twice; first as the founding President of the Commonwealth, and second as the Field Commander of the Commonwealth Army.
- Red Baron: "Hellfire" Burns.
- Reluctant Ruler: He publicly declared his intent to step down as President once proper elections could be organized.
- The Strategist: Downplayed. During the Detroit Campaign, he achieved victory over the doctrinally-incompetent and technologically-inept Victorian Army using legitimate military strategy and tactics, a functioning logistics train, and a handful of priceless pre-Collapse military vehicles.
The Commonwealth's Chief of Naval Operations.
The Commanding General of the Commonwealth Air Patrol.
A young freelance reporter assigned to the New Chicago Tribune, recently promoted to battlefield reporter.
- Human-Interest Story: His "Dispatches from Detroit" are often filled with interviews from those who weathered the Collapse or escaped Victoria.
Originally the Northern Confederation, Victoria was born out of the reactionary "retroculturalist" movement and far-right militias that rose up during the economic crises of the 2020s. Through a series of convoluted schemes and events involving global economic strife, U.S. government incompetence, Russian covert assistance, smuggled nuclear weapons, and revisionist propaganda, Victoria has crafted itself into a thriving totalitarian fascist state in spite of its massively backwards mindset, outdated technology, undereducated populace and bafflingly nonsensical understanding of military doctrine.
- Fascist, but Inefficient: Victoria has only survived by the grace of Russian aid. Domestically, its people are poor, malnourished, and kept under constant watch by the Christian Marine Corps. Militarily, it is technologically backwards, doctrinally incompetent, and logistically inept.
- Human Traffickers: The CMC calls the women they capture "war brides."
- State Sec: The Christian Marine Corps maintains strict control over the Victorian populace.
The former commander of the Victorian Army's 8th "Thomas" Division, Blackwell was evacuated for injuries before the fall of Detroit and was to be scapegoated for the defeat before his convinced his superiors otherwise.
- A Father to His Men: His men greatly respected him.
- A Lighter Shade of Black: He's loyal to Victoria and its retroculturalist ideals, but prohibited the practice of "war brides" in his division. Following the fall of Detroit, he attempted to convince the Victorian Army high command of the need to adapt to the Commonwealth threat.
Free City of New York
When Victoria swept up state after state following the collapse of the United States, Rumford and Kraft set their eyes on New York City as their next target of conquest. Their Russian advisor "Father Dimitri" however recognized that the size and scope of the metropolitan area, in addition to his international significance, was overwhelming, and barely convinced the two to leave NYC alone. Today, the Free City of New York is the home of several million refugees, subsisting entirely on imports from Europe and warily watching its Victorian neighbors.
- Mega City: NYC has urbanized and integrated all of Long Island as its new boroughs.
- The Remnant: The FCNY is the last surviving bastion of the old United States.
New California Republic
The California-based Pacific Republic was once the most likely successor of the United States' legacy. Following their defeat against the Northern Confederation however (in reality, a failed invasion by a Russian-fielded mercenary force led by Rumford combined with a Russian naval blockade), the NCR now exists as a Russian client state, forced to construct fighter aircraft for Victoria.
- Puppet State: After they "lost" the war with Victoria, Moscow now has direct control over their political affairs.