Harry Edward Styles (born 1 February 1994) is an English singer-songwriter and actor.
Styles is best known for being a founding member of the British boy band One Direction, having joined the group at their inception on The X Factor in 2010. Together, they've released a total of five studio albums.
Upon 1D's official hiatus in 2016, Styles began working on solo material, and he became the second member of the group to release an album (after former bandmate Zayn) with his 2017 self-titled debut, which charted at #1 in his native United Kingdom as well as the United States.
2017 also saw the release of Christopher Nolan's WWII epic Dunkirk, which features Styles in his acting debut as an English soldier fighting at the titular locale's infamous battle; he reportedly beat out hundreds of actors who auditioned for the role. Nolan has claimed he had no idea who Styles was, and he got the role purely on the strength of his audition.
Another thing Styles is known for in the public sphere is his tendency to date older women. He infamously dated British media personality (and host of X Factor companion show Xtra Factor) Caroline Flack —fourteen years his senior— when he was seventeen. He's also one of Taylor Swift's more notable exes, and even had a song (the not-so-subtly named "Style") written about and titled for him.
In August of 2019, he announced in an interview for Rolling Stone that he was putting the final touches on his second studio album. In December of that year, that album was released under the name Fine Line, being more psychedelically flavored than his debut (He admits to being under the influence of psychedelic mushrooms during the recording).
- Harry Styles (2017)
- Fine Line (2019)
- The X Factor (2010)
- iCarly (2012)
- One Direction: This Is Us (2013)
- Where We Are The Concert Film (2014)
- Dunkirk (2017) as Alex
Harry Styles provides examples of the following tropes:
- The Dandy: Especially since he left the band◊.
- Death by Childbirth: His interpretation of "Sign Of The Times".
- Important Haircut: He cut his hair short for his role in Dunkirk and representing the next stage in his music as in going solo.
- Large Ham: In the song "Kiwi": "I'M HAVING YOUR BABY IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS"
- Likes Older Women: As noted above, his more infamous partners have all been older women.
- Long Haired Prettyboy: He's sometimes known for having quite long hair. Not that you'd know it by the above image, taken close to the release of his debut solo album.
- Lyrical Cold Open: "Kiwi"
- Non-Appearing Title: Neither "From the Dining Table" nor "Kiwi" feature the title in their lyrics
- Self-Titled Album: His debut release is one of these.
- Ship Tease: With all of his ex-bandmates. Especially Louis during the early 1D days.
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: After the teeny bop 1D days, nobody expected solo debut "Sign of the Times" to be a somber, Bowie-esque ballad sung from a dying person's view. Also an Establishing Series Moment.
- Title-Only Chorus: "Woman"Woman, la la la la la la la la
- What Could Have Been: He was approached to play Prince Eric in the live action remake of The Little Mermaid, but turned it down.
- "When I'm Gone" Song: Apparently, "Sign of the Times", since it's supposedly from the perspective of a mother talking to her newborn with only five minutes left to live