Kathrin Fricke (a.k.a. coldmirror, Kaddi or Kreatur im Spiegel) is a German Youtuber who became famous for her Gag Dubs of the Harry Potter movies. So far, she has completed three movies: ("Harry Potter und ein Stein note ), ("Harry Potter und der geheime Pornokeller" note ), and ("Harry Potter und der Plastikpokal" note ).
Due to her enormous popularity, the German radio station You FM took notice of her and offered Coldmirror her own category on their website where she reviewed new computer games ("Game Checks") twice a month.
She even had her own TV show: Starting from October 2010, the small station Einsfestival was broadcasting "Coldmirror - The Clip Show" once a month. The 10-minute Clip Show was modelled very closely on her Youtube channel and included Gag Dubs, Game Checks, parodies of commercials and Misheard Lyrics. The last episode was broadcast in 2016.
Her Youtube channel can be found here. Her parody of the first HP movie can be found in English here. As the original contains loads and loads of untranslatable inside jokes (many of which cannot be understood by anyone other than her close friends and internet stalkers) and German teenagers tend to be bad English speakers, you should really check it out if you speak some German.
Tropes in Coldmirror's videos:
- The Abridged Series: Averted, since only a few, less interesting scenes are cut; it was not Coldmirror's intention to shorten the movies. She began the Dubs before the concept of Abridged series was even invented.
- Affectionate Parody:
- The Gag Dubs, along with every video concerning Harry Potter.
- "Was wäre, wenn Youtube das reale Leben wäre?" (What if You Tube was Real Life?") is one about habits on Youtube.
- "Miss Tutorial" parodies the style of Herr Tutorial, another famous German Youtuber who does Tutorials.
- Japanoschlampen is this to anime, especially commercial ones.
- Star Star Space is this to Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate and basically all Science Fiction that ever graced a screen.
- All Men Are Perverts: In her Harry Potter parodies.
- Ambiguous Gender: Lucy Malfoy. Most likely he/she/it is a Hermaphrodite
- An Aesop: Geht wählen oder sterbt ("Vote or die", for 2009 european elections) and "Da hinten" ("Over there") were over the top sketches. Played straight with "Casting your vote in an election is an essential part of democracy", though.
- Author Appeal: Coldmirror sure likes zombies, Harry Potter, video games and Doug Jones.
- Big "NO!"/Slow "NO!": Parodied.
- Black Humor
- Character Derailment: Played for laughs in the Dubs. The most prominent example is Fresh Dumbledore (Fresh D for short), who is basically Professor Dumbledore AS A RAPPER. Other characters include a gay Draco, a Jerk Ass Hermione and a butt dumb Ron.
- Catch-Phrase: Coldmirror's very special way of pronouncing "Hi!", "Tschüss Kinder!" and Fresh D's "Hey Yo!".
- Character Name and the Noun Phrase: Parodied in "Harry Potter und schon wieder irgendwas".
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Ron
- Continuity Nod: Many throw-away one-liners (such as Hermione learning three wikipedia articles a day by heart) are referred to in later videos and become canon.
- Cooking Duel: Dumbledore and Voldemort have a rap battle in the song "Fresh D vs. MC V".
- Cowboy BeBop at His Computer: In two videos called "Patzer" ("bloopers") and "Patzer: Folge 2" she lists really dumb mistakes concerning Harry Potter in magazines and on websites, such as mistaking Lucius Malfoy, Snape and even Mr. Ollivander for Lord Voldemort; referring to characters Professor Snake, Sung (Cho Chang, in case you've wondered), Drago
Malfroy MafloyMalefoy and Hermione Gringer (no, not Cringer); and giving Voldemort's name as Valdemort, Voldemoort, Voldermort or Waldemort - Coldmirror suggests to rename him into He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named-Correctly.
- Crapsack World: In the dubs, Harry is constantly being harrassed by about every teacher, Dumbledore doesn't care about the students or protecting Hogwarts from Voldemort, he just wants to be a rapper, and the trio spends their time playing cruel jokes on Hagrid or Neville.
- Creepy Child: Coldmirror in her review on Edna And Harvey:Harveys New Eyes ''"Death is funny"''
- Deadpan Snarker: Snape. Coldmirror herself also qualifies sometimes.
- Department of Redundancy Department:
- "It's an invisible-making Invisibility Cloak which makes you invisible!"
- Dead corpses!
- The Ditz: Neville; Hagrid and Ron show shades of this as well.
- Eleventy Zillion: Achtzehnhundertelfundsiebzig (Eighteen-hundred-seventy-eleven), Neuzehnhundertzwölfundachtzig (Nineteen-hundred-eighty twelve)... - Dumbledore does this often, when telling stories about his youth.
- Fantasy-Forbidding Father: When she was young, Kathrin's father criticised her for staying in her room, drawing (she draws excellent) and dreaming all day and wanted her to do "something useful" instead. Maybe one reason why she hasn't had any contact with him for ten years now.
- German Humour
- Gratuitous English / Totally Radical: Fresh D wants the pupils to think he's cool. It doesn't work.
- Grossout Show: the "audio drama" Harry Potter und Zitronenbonbons qualifies
- Hahaha No: At 02:11
- Harassing Phone Call: Parodied in "Bei Anruf Mord!"
- Hitler Ate Sugar: The Weasley twins say this when the candyman introduces himself.
- Hufflepuff House: Lampshaded.
- I'm Your Worst Nightmare:Harry: "Where am I?"Voldemort: "In your worst nightmare!"Harry: "Waking up without my penis is my worst nightmare."Harry describes his other nightmares while Voldy gets more and more impatient. Several minutes later..Voldemort: "In your 46th-worst nightmare!"Harry: "Oh no! Fear!"
- Iron Butt Monkey: Attempts at killing Neville have become a popular sport at Hogwarts. They always fail."Is Neville dead now?" "Oh snap, Neville's still alive."
- Large Ham: Snape had a literal one at the beginning of the second movie. After a long explanation by Ron and Harry why they are late for school he just shouts Schinken! (which translates to Ham). Confronted with their dumbfounded expressions, he smugly adds that they probably weren't expecting him to say something so snappy.
- Let's Play: So far she did Let's Plays for the videogames of James Cameron's Avatar and the games of the 6th and 7th Harry Potter movies.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Geht wählen oder sterbt features nearly every popular German You Tube comedian.
- Mood Whiplash: Any video featuring her younger sister, who died in a car accident in 2007 at the age of seventeen. They wrote a hauntingly beautiful song as a tribute to her as well.
- Parrot Exposition: ParodiedMme Ponfrey: "Everyone who ate your candy got sick!"Dumbledore:: Got sick?""Yes, they all got racking toothaches!""Toothaches?"''"Are you playing "echo" again?""Echo again?"
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Fresh D, Hermione in Harry Potter und schon wieder irgendwas.
- Product Placement: Often parodied. For example, Voldemort used the Haribo jelly sweets slogan as a line in "Fresh D. vs. MC V".
- Running Gag: In her Avatar Let's Play, she somehow managed to get stuck in the scenery every time she was driving a vehicle. Then she got stuck in mid-air while riding one of the giant birds and quit the game rather frustrated.
- Show Within a Show: "Hässliche mutierte Scheiß-Tiere suchen ein Zuhause" note and "Wood`s Sooper-Dooper-Shop"
- Stupid Statement Dancemix: Some of Fresh Dumbledore`s raps are Remixes of quotes from the movies or the Bloopers from the german audiobooks
- Toilet Humor: Mostly in her early works.
- Too Dumb to Live: Neville, but Ron also fits: "Ron, don't think so hard! It will harm your brain."
- Totally Radical: Fresh Dumbledore with his Piss-Take Rap.
- Villains Out Shopping: Voldemort spends 90% of "Harry Potter und schon wieder irgendwas" on the sofa watching TV. The rest of the time he surfs the internet and buys stuff on Ebay.
- Up to Eleven: Fresh D. Coldmirror released 8 full rap albums of the persona, all for free and all containing about 8 songs.