Anna Kay Faris is an American comic actress born November 29, 1976 in Baltimore, Maryland. She might be best known for playing the lead in the Scary Movie films. A natural blonde, she had to dye her hair black for the role to give her a more Neve Campbell look.
Mostly a face actress in comedies like The House Bunny, Just Friends and The Dictator, she has recently done a couple of voice acting gigs — Sam Sparks in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Jeanette in Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel and Chipwrecked.
She was the star in the CBS sitcom Mom and hosts a podcast called Anna Faris Is Unqualified.
She was married to actor Ben Indra from 2004 to 2008 and Chris Pratt from 2009 to 2018, and has been married to cinematographer Michael Barrett since 2021. With Pratt, she had a son, Jack, born in 2012. Also her first name is actually pronounced "Ah-na".
- Lovers Lane (1999) as Jannelle Bay
- Scary Movie series (2000-01, 2003, 2006) as Cindy Campbell
- May (2002) as Polly
- King of the Hill (2002-03) as Lisa, Stoned Hippie Chick, Teen Girl Hippie (voice)
- The Hot Chick (2002) as April
- Lost in Translation (2003) as Kelly
- Friends (2004) as Erica
- Brokeback Mountain (2005) as Lashawn Malone
- Waiting... (2005) as Serena Vowles
- Just Friends (2005) as Samantha James
- My Super Ex-Girlfriend (2006) as Hannah Lewis
- Smiley Face (2007) as Jane F
- Entourage (2007) as herself
- The House Bunny (2008) as Shelley Darlingson
- Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel (2009) as Cassie
- Observe and Report (2009) as Brandi Gaffney
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009) as Samantha "Sam" Sparks (voice)
- Alvin and the Chipmunks series (2009, 2011, 2015) as Jeanette (voice)
- Yogi Bear (2010) as Rachel Johnson
- What's Your Number? (2011) as Ally Darling
- The Dictator (2012) as Zoey Aladeen
- Movie 43 (2013) as Julie / Vanessa
- Mom (2013-20) as Christy Plunkett
- 22 Jump Street (2014) as herself
- Keanu (2016) as herself
- The Emoji Movie (2017) as Jailbreak / Linda (voice)
- Overboard (2018) as Kate Sullivan
- The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale (2018) as Sandy
- Gay Of Thrones (2019) as herself
- HouseBroken (2021) as Chartreuse, Lil' Bunny (voice)
This actress' roles provide examples of:
- Braces of Orthodontic Overkill: She's told the story of being stuck in headgear for most of her adolescence, which motivated her to be funny since traditional popularity wasn't an option.
- Dumb Blonde:
- Though certainly not an airhead in real life, easily two-thirds of her roles have her playing one of these.
- She plays a sort of parody of her characters in Lost in Translation.
- Subverted in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, where her character Sam actually is very smart but pretends to be airheaded because peers would tease her.
- Dyeing for Your Art
- In the first two Scary Movie films, Anna dyed her naturally blonde hair black so that she would more closely resemble Neve Campbell. She reverted to her natural hair color for the third and fourth films as her role parodied Naomi Watts in The Ring and Sarah Michelle Gellar in The Grudge, respectively (though Gellar is a brunette who dyed her hair).
- In The Dictator, she dyed her hair brunette and cut it short to give her character a more tough appearance. Plus, the armpit hair her character sports in the movie is real.
- Ms. Fanservice: In some of her roles, but especially The House Bunny, where she plays a Playboy Bunny and even has a nude scene from behind, and Scary Movie, where she gets stripped down to only her bra during her character's sex scene.
- Playing Against Type: As Polly in May, a rare horror role.
- Romance on the Set: Her three husbands were all workplace acquaintances. She met Ben Indra on the set of Lovers Lane, and Chris Pratt during a table read of Take Me Home Tonight. Michael Barrett, her current husband, was the cinematographer of Overboard.
- Typecasting: She plays a lot of dumb women. It is largely voluntary though, and she has played a few smart characters like the aforementioned Sam Sparks.