open/close all folders
The player character, a beautiful and timid young woman whose car broke down in the middle of the night on her way home to see her dying mother, forcing her to hitchhike.
- Alone with the Psycho: She's stuck in cars with dangerous people, including a Pedophile Priest and a Depraved Bisexual (and potential rapist) of a woman who gets off to live streams of people being tortured and killed.
- Brainy Brunette: Elora has brown hair, and she is described as a bookish girl who got a 4.0 average in school and attended an Ivy League college.
- The Determinator: She will make it home to see her mother before she dies, even if she has to hitchhike her way there with complete strangers. Not even a serial child rapist/torturer/murderer, a Norman Bates type mommas boy, a monster clown, or a depraved bisexual female rapist will stop her.
- Featureless Protagonist: A very bizarre case. She has a set appearance, and despite Word of God describing her as a timid bookworm, all of her dialogue choices are optional and the player can't hear her voice, so she can either fulfill her canonical personality, or be a mindlessly belligerent, childish Jerkass.
- Jerkass: While canonically Elora is a quiet, bookish girl, some of the responses you can give the Strangers are hilariously offensive.
- Immobile Player Character: Completely justified, as Elora is in a car for the majority of the game (you can still free-roam the highway once you're out, however).
The Strangers In General
The people Elora hitchhiker with. They are the villains of the game.
- Berserk Button: All of them have their own unique personalities, so they each have their own things that tick them off. If Elora responds to them by saying things that press any of their buttons, they will be much more likely to kill her. The one thing that they all have in common is that they don't like you ignoring their questions.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: With the exceptions of Lydia and Charles, they all likely work alone. They probably don't even know about each other though Lydia can visit Father Donald's website in Welcome To The Game.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: They all appear to be willing to help you, but they are actually potential murderers who will try to do you harm. Special mention goes to Donald, The Grandmother, The Detective, and Charles, what with them being a priest, an old lady, an officer, and a gentleman respectively.
- Disproportionate Retribution: As mentioned above, they will all kill you for ignoring them when they talk to you.
- Invincible Villain: As Elora cannot attack them, they are this.
- Karma Houdini: In the current gameplay stage, all that happens at the end is Elora gets to her mother in time. There is no indication that they are brought to justice. This may change in the final game.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Only Donald, Lydia, Carol, and Charles have been named currently.
- Only One Name: Of the four that have been named, Donald is the only one with a last name currently (McArthur)
- Talkative Loon: They all try to make conversation with you. If you don't answer them correctly, they will kill you.
- Two Girls to a Team: Subverted. There are two women (Lydia and The Grandmother), but apart from Lydia and Charles being in a relationship, and the former knowing of Father Donald due to visiting his website, they presumably have no affiliation with each other.
- Would Hit a Girl: None of them have any problem with murdering Elora.
Donald Earl McArthur, a creepy Pedophile Priest who suspects Elora of being a "heathen", and constantly preaches her Bible-related topics whilst trying to subtly gut her.
- Ax-Crazy: He might be trying to hide it with his polite exterior, but he is very violent, being a serial child rapist/torturer/murderer. He is also deluded, believing that God will protect someone like him, and that, because it's in his nature to do what he does, God will not judge him for it. His craziness and violentness is fully brought out in his killing animation.
- Bald of Evil: He has no head hair except for sideburns.
- Bastard Bastard: His mother gave birth to him out of wedlock. His father is never even mentioned, so he obviously wasn't going to help raise him. This was one of the reasons why his mother had to give him up at birth. We have no idea how his mother got pregnant, so it could have been a rape for all we know.
- Berserk Button: Several, which will make your death more likely if they are pressed. Insulting his religion, badmouthing his mother, wearing perfume, and insulting his age. He also hates anyone who goes against his religion in any way; as a result, he despises fornicators, blasphemers, and all members of the LGBT community.
- Blatant Lies: In one of his dialogue options, he tells Elora to relax, claiming that he is harmless. Oh yeah, about as harmless as any other serial rapist/torturer/murderer.
- The Cameo: His website can be found on the Deep Web in Welcome To The Game.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Aside from rape and murder, he likes inflicting this upon children too.
- Creepy Monotone: His primary language.
- Evil Orphan: He was forsaken at birth by his unmarried mother, and was raised by priests. He never knew her, and he reveals that he knows that she died years ago. We never even hear about his father or if he's still alive. His official character biography reveals that he murdered the priests who raised him out of revenge for molesting him as a child.
- Faux Affably Evil: He talks very politely, but he's still a monster.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: He wears a pair of glasses.
- Freudian Excuse: The Father was abandoned as a baby by his young mother and raised by priests, some of whom abused him sexually. It's stated he didn't even realize child molestation was wrong until he was well into adulthood, and it's likely this is the cause of his "itch" to molest children himself.
- Freudian Slip: One of his dialogue options is "I'm sure they (Elora's parents) will miss... I mean, that they do miss you."
- Hate Sink: Besides his creepily polite exterior, The Father is a Serial Killer, Pedophile Priest, Serial Rapist, has practiced Cold-Blooded Torture on countless innocent little children, and is a genocidal homophobe.
- He-Man Woman Hater: He hates "whores" and wants to kill them. He thinks that any woman that wears perfume is one.
- Jumpscare: "YOU HERETIC!"
- Knight Templar: In addition to being a Pedophile Priest, Donald is a Sinister Minister who murders people who go against his religion. He thinks that by going after them, he can keep his pedophilic urges at bay.
- Obviously Evil: Even his polite exterior is easily seen through.
- Pedophile Priest: The basis of his character.
- Punk in the Trunk: He clearly has someone locked in his trunk. You can hear their muffled screaming.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Some of the heathens he refers to include all LGBTQ members.
- Psychotic Smirk: His default expression. It goes along with his Creepy Monotone and Faux Affably Evil attitude to make him creepy.
- Serial Killer/Serial Rapist: Admits to raping and murdering countless little children. He also kills "whores" and "heretics".
- Sinister Minister: While he is primarily a Pedophile Priest, that won't stop him from babbling on about his religion to you as he drives.
- Starter Villain: Due to the fact that he is the only stranger in the demo, he is this by default.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Speaks in whispers for the most part, but in his killing animation, he shouts "You heretic!"
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: A very dark version of one. Donald does not like the fact that he is compelled to rape, torture, and kill little boys, so, to try and lessen his "itch" to do so, he focuses on murdering adults, believing that it will lessen his pedophilic desires. He primarily goes after people that go against his religion, who he refers to as "heretics".
- Would Hurt a Child: Would rape, torture, and kill a child.
The Dungeon Master
Carol, an upcoming Stranger.
- Basement-Dweller: Clearly designed with this trope in mind.
- Beard of Evil: He has a pretty hairy chin. Comes with being a neckbeard.
- Fat Bastard: Downplayed. He is a little overweight.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: He wears glasses, and none of the strangers are supposed to be good people.
- Gender-Blender Name
- He-Man Woman Hater: Considering the stereotype he's representing, this is likely.
- Jerkass: Generally speaking, neckbeards tend to be very unpleasant people. They often cyberbully people. Carol is a walking stereotype for neckbeards, so he should fit this. At the very least, he's a potential murderer, so he's clearly not a good person.
- Nice Hat: To cement his status as a neckbeard, he's hilariously topped with a clichéd fedora.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Carol may be a fat, basement-dwelling nerd, but he's still monstrous enough to be part of a rogue's gallery that includes a serial child rapist/torturer/murderer, a Monster Clown, and an Unholy Matrimony that consists of a Depraved Bisexual rapist/murderer and her boyfriend.
Lydia, an upcoming Stranger.
- Depraved Bisexual: Judging by her nickname "The Nympho" and her mindset being "Lust", it's clear she would have unsavory things in store for Elora, although Welcome to the Game reveals she has male dates too.
- Eating the Eye Candy: While we don't get to see her point of view, her dialogue when she stops to offer Elora a ride makes it clear she finds her quite attractive.Lydia: Mmmmm. Look at you. Get in and let me ride -I mean, give you a ride.
- Freudian Slip: When she stops to offer Elora a ride, Lydia tells her to "Get in and let me ride, I mean, give you a ride".
- Friend to Psychos: her appearances in Welcome to the Game 1 and 2 confirm that she is allies with other sick fucks like her. Charles is her boyfriend, and she is a member of Noir.
- Ms. Fanservice: Very scantily clad, beautiful, and big-breasted. Justified, as being a nymphomaniac, this is definitely intentional on her part.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Her cameo in Welcome to the Game reveals she gets off to Red Rooms, i.e real-life Gorn.
- Really Gets Around: Nymphomaniacs tend to do so.
- Sadist: Given that she gets off to Red Rooms and is a member of Noir.
- Unholy Matrimony: With Charles. The "Who Am I" ending of Welcome to the Game reveals that they are dating.
- Villain Protagonist: She is one for Welcome to the Game, as revealed in one of the secret endings.
Charles, an upcoming Stranger.
- Affably Evil/Faux Affably Evil: One or the other. He's called "The Gentleman", and his animation in the "Meet The Strangers" trailer shows him holding his arm out in a welcoming gesture. Whether or not he is genuinely polite is to be seen.
- The Cameo: He makes a very brief, easy to miss one in Welcome To The Game; he calls the protagonist in one of the secret endings and a picture of his face with his name written below it can be seen on their cell phone. This indicates that he and Lydia were dating.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Outfitted with a snazzy black suit.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: His main trait.
- Unholy Matrimony: With Lydia. The "Who Am I" ending of Welcome to the Game reveals that they are dating.
The Mommas Boy
An upcoming stranger.
- Ax-Crazy: His animation in the "Meet The Strangers" trailer shows his right cheek twitching repeatedly, implying that he's violently insane. None of the other strangers did this, so he may very well be the least sane of them all.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: He is a mommas boy after all.
- Expy: Very likely one of Norman Bates. They are both ax-crazy mommas boy horror villains. Normans status as a horror icon makes this even more likely.
- Momma's Boy: It's right there in his name.
An upcoming stranger.
An upcoming stranger.
- Beard of Evil: And a mustache of evil too.
An upcoming stranger.
An upcoming stranger.
- Addled Addict: It's implied that he is a drug addict. He has raised scar's across his arms, and his trailer animation shows him rubbing his arm, a common trait of drug addicts. The unhappy expression on his face implies that things aren't going well for him.
- They Look Just Like Everyone Else!: He is the least creepy/threatening looking of the strangers. In the "Meet The Strangers" trailer, he is the only one who neither scowls, gives a creepy look, or twitches. Because he's one of the strangers though, he's almost certainly a bad guy.
The Joke Teller
An upcoming stranger.
Man In The Father's Trunk
An unseen man locked in Donald's trunk.
- The Ghost: You can't see him, but you know about him because you can hear his banging and muffled screaming.
- Killed Offscreen: You can't save him, so it can be assumed that Donald kills him after the events of the ride. It is possible that the final game will change this, however.
- Punk in the Trunk: He's been locked up in Donald's trunk.
- Sacrificial Lamb: He serves to let Elora know that Donald is definitely a threat to her.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Donald does not react to hearing him scream, despite knowing that Elora now knows that he has kidnapped someone. Elora will have to act the same, ignoring his screaming and pretending that she doesn't hear him.