O The ScientistThe Author and the Architect, the creator of the world of Razia.
- Badass Beard: Sports a big white one in the puppet show.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus
- Fantastic Science: He mentions genetics and science alongside allegories of knitting the world together, and is called the Scientist. "science" is used in place of faith in some circumstances (such as the Narrator reciting that "we'd regained our science" at the conclusion of the play).
- Good Hair, Evil Hair: O is of the Mentor Variety.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: He calls His angels, who are characters in a play, His actors and actresses.
- The Maker
- One-Letter Name
AhrimaThe protagonist of Act One, and one of the most talented Angels.
- Ambiguously Brown: As with all the characters, his skin is tan and his name is Aramaic, and is a character in a story seemingly based off the Bereshit.
- Anachronism Stew: The world was just created, and the first thing he invents is a light bulb.
- Bald of Evil: While not evil per se, Ahrima sports the look.
- Fallen Angel
- Gadgeteer Genius: He helped O create the world, and also built the Lamps.
- Meaningful Name: Ahrima means in Aramaic something along the lines of dark spirit.
- Our Angels Are Different
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Nidrias Blue.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: He seeks the approval of O the Scientist, which is his main motivation for creating the Lamps, and Barayas uses his insecurity and need for attention to convince him to destroy them.
NidriaAhrimas Love Interest and a fellow Angel of talent.
- Holy Halo: Her crown of white feathers evokes this imagery.
- Meaningful Name: It means vow.
- Mysterious Veil: Combined with her Cool Mask.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Ahrimas red.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Shes last seen in The Oracle. Her fate, like the other angels that stayed in the Light, is never expanded upon.
BarayasA dinky brownish spider who tempts Ahrima to follow the path of evil.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- The Corrupter: Exhorts Ahrima to destroy the lamps to show the other angels and O the Scientist "who's in control".
- Giant Spider: Despite being described as dinky and small enough to perch on Ahrimas shoulder, he is the biggest puppet in the puppet show version of the play, and glows a neon purple color at that.
- Power Glows: Hes got neon glow in the dark paint on his puppet.
- Small Role, Big Impact
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Unseen after his music number.
Toba the TuraAn angel sent to banish Ahrima.
- Archangel Michael: Implied, more or less. Toba casts Ahrima from grace the way Michael banishes Lucifer from Heaven, and is the most vocally outraged Angel shown.
- Fauns and Satyrs: Seems to be represented by one in the puppet show.
- Good Is Not Nice: "This mess that you've made is a six foot grave, a home for your lonesome bones that remains/We'll disappear, you'll stay here/ROT AS THE KING OF THE DARK AND FORGOT!"
- Hooks and Crooks: In the puppet show, he uses one to toss Ahrima around and prod him into place.
- Horned Humanoid
- Knife Nut: His official work has several tied to his apron, as well as brandishing one.
- Meaningful Name: Toba means repentance. Tura is an Aramaic word for Mountain.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: His entire song is devoted to telling Ahrima exactly how bad he screwed up.
Gargul the OracleAn angel who can tell the future, and recants the fate of Razia to the protagonists.
- The Omniscient
- The Prophecy: Grants one to Ahrima and Nidria, foretelling their heirs would bring together the continent once more.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He also calls out Ahrimas actions, though laments that it could have been avoided.
- Wise Tree
AdakiasThe younger Prince of The Dark, and Pallis younger brother.
- Act of True Love: sacrificing himself for Anhura brings together Razia once more.
- Cainand Abel: The Abel to Pallis Cain.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Divine Parentage
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: considering it ends in his death and an uncertain world.
- Meaningful Name: Adakias comes from Adam Kasia, the idea of the perfect human.
- Really Royalty Reveal: Hes the direct descendant of Ahrima, and one of the chosen in the Oracles Prophecy.
- Rebel Prince: Has no intention of helping Pallis rule and shuns his fate (until he learns his lineage and relation to Ahrima, that is ).
- Riches to Rags: Albeit willingly. He gives up his life as a prince to be a simple subject in the Light.
- Spare to the Throne
- Starting a New Life
PallisThe Crown Prince of The Dark, and Adakias older brother.
- Black Eyesof Evil: With white pupils.
- Cainand Abel: The Cain to Adakias Abel. continues the role when he kills his brother.
- Cool Crown: In the puppet show. Its the skull of an animal.
- Divine Parentage: Like Adakias, a direct descendant from Ahrima.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He does love his brother, enough to try to dissuade him down a path he thinks is unsafe for Adakias. Unfortunately Pallis attempts this through berating him and later attempting to kill his wife
- The Evil Prince: Naturally.
- "Open!" Says Me: Kicks in the door to the Doctors house.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: White blazer, black button up shirt, striped tie, a pocket square on his breast and a flower in his lapel.
- Would Hit a Girl: he intended on killing Anhura.
SangaraPallis' servant, and a denizen of The Dark.
- Break the Cutie: Accompanies the mob in The Exit, beating down Adakias dreams of seeing the Light with insults.
- Slasher Smile: Sports an apparently perpetual one.
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: Why cant you be more like your brother?
AnhuraThe Princess of the Light, and Adakias' Love Interest.
- Birds of a Feather: She has the same romantic inclinations of fate and destiny, and daydreams of a better life, just like Adakias.
- Damsel in Distress: When she is stricken ill.
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- First Love: Anhura says shes Adakias first kiss.
- Incurable Cough of Death: The people of The Dark can make those of The Light sick by simple proximity, which Adakias eventually does to Anhura. This affliction is apparently curable, but Doctor Dumaya says that the sickness of The Dark requires a "bona fide doctor's miracle" to cure
- Light Is Good
- Woman in White
King MalkaAnhura's father and King of the Light. He fears Adakias wants to steal his throne when Adakias and Anhura meet him to ask him for his blessing on their relationship, and forbids them to wed.
- Adipose Rex
- Beard of Moral Ambiguity: In the puppet show, he has a very long one, as well as an incredibly long and curled moustache, which he twitches out of annoyance with Adakias.
- Meaningful Name: Malka comes from Malaka, an Aramaic name for King.
- Overprotective Dad: He doesnt want Anhura marrying Adakias mostly because he fears Adakias will depose him, but also because he senses darkness in Adakias heart and wants to protect his daughter.
- Properly Paranoid: The darkness he senses in Adakias is his heritage from The Dark, which makes his daughter fall deathly ill.
The Bawaba Brothers
Doctor DumayaA shady doctor of The Dark who lives in squalor, and the only one who knows to cure Anhura's malady.
- Animal Motifs: spiders. He seems to have an affinity for them and uses them as assistants in his work. Its possible hes a descendant of Barayas.
- Deadly Doctor
- Evil Laugh
- Faux Affably Evil
- Humanoid Abomination: Depicted as one with a giant mass of shadowy tendrils for a head and two glowing white eyes, dressed in a doctor's uniform.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: What he intends on doing with Anhura as payment for curing her disease.
- Killer Robot: In the puppet show, hes depicted as one mounted on a single wheel, with a head that isn't attached to his body, which he plays around with quite a bit.
- Large Ham
- Laughing Mad
- Mad Doctor
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate