The prominent characters of the Ancienverse.
open/close all folders
The Kalos Family
The main hero of the story, though not the actual protagonist until the Alola Trilogy. Starts the series midway through his journey through Kalos, on his way to the Snowbelle Gym.
- The Ace: More and more over the course of the series, Ash becomes a leader of not just the small group, but of many trainers the world over.
- Action Hero: While already physically fit from constant travel, his synchronization training with Greninja gradually gives him real fighting prowess. Very fortunate, as many villains physically engage Ash while their Pokemon are fighting.
- Affectionate Nickname: Ashy-boy from Gary, and just Ashy from Acerola.
- Battle Couple: With Serena as the series goes on.
- Happily Married: Naturally, to Serena, as of, Love in the Time of Matrimony.
- Battle Couple: With Korrina.
- Took a Level in Badass: Twice. First when she manages to defeat a Nihilego with only Dedenne and Serena's Pokemon. And again when she manages to take down Domino's Mega Evolved Lopunny on her own.
- Jerkass: A very petty person, prone to lashing out at the slightest insult and using brutal tactics. Also the only member not to have a HeelFace Turn.
The Kalos Trilogy Supporting Cast
The Team Rocket Trio
- Adventure Duo: With Lionel.
Tropes Concerning the Draconids as a Group
- Adaptation Deviation: The group was, in the games, a small tribe concerned with the coming meteor. Here, they're from a war-torn Alternate Universe, and cause conflict to get Jirachi and bring back Aster.
- The Empath: Their heitage allows them to easily control Dragon types, which they exploit to launch an assault on Ancien City.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Zinnia very clearly loved Aster, and the Draconids love her.
- Adaptional Villainy: Far more psychotic than her game counterpart.
- Boomerang Bigot: Zinnia hates people who commit pointless acts of violence...only she's attacking an entire town needlessly.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Zinnia was once somewhat optimistic, but the death of Aster, who she loved like a sister, devastated her.
Tropes Concerning Team Neo as a Group
- The Heavy: Tends to do most of the heavy lifting, considering her strength and position as Dalton's daughter.
- Meaningful Rename: Takes on the name Merry after her true nature is revealed and Seamus begins to take care of her.
- The Reveal: The Merle featured in the Ancienverse is actually a Zoroark. The real Merle died when she and Dalton were caught up in Groudon and Kyogre's battle years ago.
Tropes Concering DARC as a Group
- Abusive Parents: Doesn't care one bit about his own daughter and sees it as her duty to die for his cause.
- Archnemesis Dad: Sorta. Michael is an alternate version of Serena's father, but his Serena also serves as an enemy for much of the story.
- Greater-Scope Villain: In one way or another, he's influenced every other villain, and his influence s felt even long after his death.
- Villainous Friendship: With Reeree.
- Annoying Laugh: "Keh heh heh"
The Alola Trilogy
- Above the Influence: When Nihilego's toxins begin affecting everyone, Lillie barely reacts to it, alongside Hau.
- Adaptational Badass: Lillie becomes a trainer by Trials and spends the rest of the series improving to the point she's able to battle her own mother (alongside Serena).
- Affectionate Nickname: Leelee, from Acerola.
- Arc Hero: Of the Alola Trilogy, to an extent. The second trilogy focuses on her and her development quite a bit.
- Above the Influence: When Nihilego's toxins begin affecting everyone, Hau is the only one who seems to have the most mild affect, alongside Lillie.
- Adaptational Badass: While certainly no slouch in the games, Hau proves himself capable of matching a veteran Ash's level, narrowly losing to him in a 6v6 match.
- Adorkable: With his cheerful attitude and love for malasadas, of course.
- Graceful Loser: Takes his losses to Ash in stride with an easy smile.
- A Good Way to Die: Nanu chooses to go out by blowing himself up, taking Tolbert and Louise with him, all with a smile on his face.
- Almighty Janitor: Kukui seems like just a regular professor at first appearance, but quickly is discerned as a Champion-level battler.
- Almighty Janitor: Comes off as a mere fashion designer. Eventually revealed to be the previous Ali'i ka Leilani.
- The Dragon: To Guzma.
- Accomplice by Inaction: She views herself as the accomplice to Lusamine's abuse because she did nothing but stand by and watch.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Killed by Lusamine once his purpose is served.
The Arc Villain and Big Bad of the Alola Trilogy. She is mother to Lillie and Gladion and seeks a way to enter the Ultra Space...even if it means sacrificing her children to do it.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: As in the games, though no attention is called to it.
- Abusive Parents: Does the emotional version. Between stalking her son's every move and forcing her daughter to be her perfect little doll, she's the practical personification of this.
- Adaptational Villainy: Hit with this, despite still serving as the Big Bad. In the games, her entire plan was to get to Ultra Space, and the possible resulting devastation of Alola was an unimportant side note. Here, it's reversed, as her plan is to use the Ultra Beasts to destroy the world while she's safely in Ultra Space. As well, it's made clear that she's not going to be Easily Forgiven, as several characters, herself included, note that her actions from Nihilego's toxin are still her own.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Despite all of her horrible actions, Lusamine's death is genuinely grieved by Lillie and Gladion.
- Arc Villain: Of the Alola Trilogy.
- Bad Boss: Uses pretty much everyone who works for her and lies to them, and then she has Faba Impaled with Extreme Prejudice.
- Karmic Death: After spending the whole story blowing people up, he's eventually killed by one of his own explosions.
- Adaptational Badass: From mousy secretary to skilled assassin with at least a dozen bodies to her name.
- Adaptational Villainy: While Matori is still a villain in canon, here she's notably more vicious and violent after The Reveal.
- Ascended Extra: Merely Giovanni's secretary originally, but now one of the top operatives of the true villains.