Tropers: Sam Max
Sam Max, on cleaning duty and making sure that things are accurate in this wiki. He may not always do a good job, but he'll at least try! If you feel that he is not doing a very good job, please state why in the discussion board. No Troper Bashing please. That's not what this wiki is built for. All lists he's made below. They are not important, just something he felt like doing.
Pages he is watching
Shows, Movies, Games and Books he likes at the moment
- Ape Escape
- Azumanga Daioh
- Chrono Trigger
- Code Geass
- Donkey Kong Country
- Earthworm Jim
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Hyperdimension Neptunia (considers it a Guilty Pleasure of his)
- Jet Set Radio (the original, haven't played the Xbox sequel/remake)
- Kingdom Hearts
- Klonoa (both the games and the webcomic)
- Mega Man
- Rhythm Heaven
- Sam & Max: Freelance Police
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Star Wars
- Zombie Panic In Wonderland
Stuff he wants to play/see/read
- Ape Escape Million Monkeys (Sadly (and increasingly) unlikely to actually come out to the states)
- MOTHER 1 and MOTHER 3 (Too bad they were never brought over to the states. Plus, there were few rereleases of this series.)
- Fallout 3 (The Game of the Year Edition would do very nicely)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (Loved the film, and he already has the first volume of the Brian Michael Bendis run (aka Vol. 3), which he actually enjoyed. Recently started reading the Dan Abnett/Andy Lanning run (aka Vol. 2) as well.)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 and Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2 SISTERS GENERATION, plus Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory II (He mentioned this series is a Guilty Pleasure to him.)
- Knuckles Chaotix (Why won't you re-release it, Sega?!)
- The Man Who Saves the World (or "Turkish Star Wars")
- Sonic Archives Vol. 4''-onward
- Sonic the Comic (Not available in America, but it may or may not be reprinted.)
- Sonic the Comic – Online! (only after reading the former)
- Works in the Star Wars Expanded Universe (Both old and new)
- Tail Concerto
- Touhou (Also won't come to America)
Stuff he's looking forward to
Writers, Artists and other creators that he likes the works of (Links lead to what they worked on unless they have their own articles)
Pages he created and/or heavily contributed to
Things he ought to get around to
- Doing More Chores Before My Birthday.
Tropes associated with Sam Max
- The Atoner: If he does something particularly bad, he must do what he can to make up for it, even if it kills him!
- Author's Saving Throw: If he feels there is an issue with his statements, he will at least try to fix it.
- Berserk Button: Sexist and racist people. He views them as assholes at best, especially when it's a time when they should know better.
- Brain Bleach: Some Fan Fic are so ridiculously disturbing, there isn't enough of it in the world to remove it! Movies like Howard the Duck have certain scenes that require it as well. Also, he wants to use it to forget Novas Aventuras De Megaman's mere existence.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: At times.
- Crack Pairing: Has come up with a few. However, among the pairings he doesn't like, he considers Bass x Roll one, because he doesn't see why on Earth Roll would want to go out with someone who hates her brother and wants to kill him.
- Fanon Discontinuity: Would like to inform you that Sonic Labyrinth doesn't exist! Sonic never wore boots that slowed him down, and even if he did, it wasn't a Video Game! On a related note, there was no 3DS version of Sonic Lost World. Only the Wii U version exists.
- Novas Aventuras De Megaman is just some poorly written Dark Fic with its plot in Crazyland most of the time. Even at their worst, Capcom would never approve of a Mega Man comic with nudity and violence, especially if it had mutilation of girls involved in some form.
- What is this "Wario: Master of Disguise" you speak of? There wasn't a Wario game that forced you to use poorly implemented touch screen controls. Ever.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was in the works...but only survived in the form of a video game which, bizarrely enough, is advertised as being based on the first film.
- As for the Star Wars Expanded Universe, it's inverted because, while the new stuff is definitely Canon, many of the old stories are still at least partially canon.
- Howard the Duck had its bathtub scene removed during production. Thank goodness for that!
- Gateway Series: The Guardians of the Galaxy film was So Cool It's Awesome that he's actually collecting graphic novels of the comics, and is thinking of getting a subscription to them.
- Guilty Pleasures: He finds Hyperdimension Neptunia to actually be enjoyable in spite of its flaws.
- Hypocrite: You'll see it on some discussions on this wiki.
- Informed Flaw: Unless you met this guy in person, some of these tropes would appear as such.
- Just Here for Godzilla: Part of why he's into the Mega Man franchise is because of Roll. On an unrelated note, thanks to the 2014 film's announcement, he's gotten into the Trope Namer himself.
- Loony Fan: May not appear as such on the interweb most of the time, but in Real Life...depending on the work in question, that could be putting it lighly. He's been mellowing out over the years, but shades of it are still there.
- Magnum Opus: He considers Guardians of the Galaxy to be one not just of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but of ALL the Marvel movies ever made! He loved the film that much!
- Motor Mouth: Can be this when talking about a Video Game, a Film, a Comic Book, a piece of Literature, or even a Fan Fiction. At least, in Real Life.
- Old Shame: Most of his fanfiction. He is so ashamed, he prefers not to speak of them, and he is very grateful that he wasn't dumb enough to post them on the internet. They are happily lost in the midst of time!
- Pet Peeve Trope: A few, at least when poorly done:
- Abusive Parents: When it's there just for the sake of being there. He feels it should send An Aesop if it's done at all.
- Adaptation Decay: Downplayed, for while he does have some problems with it, he'd still take a well-written In Name Only adaptation to a faithful adaptation that suffers from Bad Writing.
- Darker and Edgier: Again, downplayed, because it can be done well, but it can be really jarring and nonsensical that the story would even exist if it's done badly.
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: If it's too dark, he'd much rather not bother with it.
- Development Hell: Depending on the circumstances, this can range from understandable to just plain irritating.
- Fan Dumb: These guys make us look bad.
- Hate Dumb: If you're going to complain, don't post it on the internet and post inaccurate reasons as to why. If you hate it, tell the author why you hate it exactly, or just ignore it altogether. Whew!
- I Have No Son: If it makes sense, it's not a problem (like when the parent's a good person while the offspring is an irredeemable Complete Monster), but he hates it when he believe the reasons are stupid and/or jerkish at best. The latter tends to be in anime, and it's likely he'll think there's no reason the story couldn't work without it. He's tried to chalk it up as Values Dissonance, but he can never get past the petty reasons for it, leading him to see the parents as Jerkasses and Scrappies, especially since it's rare that they even get called out for their bullshit, let alone punished for it.
- The Masochism Tango: Yes, he hates that Trope.
- No Export for You: If the products are said to be good or I am wanting it bad. If the products are bad, however, then it does not apply here.
- Real Is Brown: Where did they learn this?! (Although he is fine with it if it is Played for Laughs, or if the place(s) have been ravaged by years of ruin)
- Small Name, Big Ego: When it applies to Real Life, but fiction can be bad about it too
- Trolling Creator: Unless there's a good reason for it. Or his trolling just makes him/her all the more loveable.
- The Scrappy: Many parents in anime who disown their kids for stupid or petty reasons, especially since being called out, let alone being punished for their bullshit is at best a rare occurrence. Not to mention when they do get punished, we're supposed to see it as a bad thing. Instead, he thinks they got what was coming to them. In fact, he tends to feel more for the disowned offspring even when they're the Designated Villain.
- Self-Deprecation: He likes to do this a lot, to ensure he doesn't have an enormous ego.
- Sequelitis: As seen in Fanon Discontinuity above, he doesn't consider The Amazing Spider-Man 2 to be a very good movie. Contrast its predecessor, which, while not a masterpiece itself, was still a decent flick.
- Another example is Wario: Master Of Disguise, a game with bad touchscreen controls you're forced to use whether you want to or not. Even sadder since we had to wait a long while between this and Wario World. You can believe after the long wait, he expected better.
- The 3DS version of Sonic Lost World had terrible level design that made the Wii U version (a decent, if not great game) look like a downright masterpiece in comparison. Sad, since the 3DS version of Sonic Generations was a fun game in spite of its flaws. He is hoping that Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal will at least be decent, if not excellent.
- Some regard The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug as a better film. He thinks it suffers from this due to Ending Fatigue where the movie seems like it'll end, but then it doesn't. it occurred too frequently not to notice. Fortunately, the next film fixes that problem.
- So Bad, It's Good: He's a big believer in it. Films like Plan 9 from Outer Space and Howard the Duck are contenders.
- So Okay, It's Average: Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures isn't a bad show, but it's nothing special, either.
- Game & Wario is the weakest in the series, but it's not bad. That said, it has moments of uneveness that bump it down to this, for while it has some of the series best minigames, it also has some of its worst.
- Soap Box Sadie: He doesn't like seeing this, but admits that he's fallen into that trap more than once. He hopes it never, ever happens again, but he can't say for sure.
- Sophisticated as Hell: He may not use it, but he finds it funny.
- Surprisingly Improved Sequel: While he actually doesn't consider Hyperdimension Neptunia a bad game, its sequel/reboot fixed its flaws and improved on what it did right.
- Third-Person Person: This article only, though it slips up from time to time.
- Too Good to Last: Considers Shifty Look to be this, especially their Klonoa and Wonder Momo comics. It only lasted three years, making the loss even sadder. It seems someone made a (seemingly incomplete) copy to let people Keep Circulating the Tapes, but the site as it was is Lost Forever.