Guardians Of The Galaxy
is the 2014 movie adaptation of the Guardians of the Galaxy
comic and the tenth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
. It is directed by James Gunn of Slither
The film focuses on eponymous team made up of Chris Pratt
as Star Lord, Batista
as Drax, Michael Rooker
as Yondu, Vin Diesel
as Groot, Zoe Saldana
as Gamora and Bradley Cooper
as Rocket Raccoon.Karen Gillan
and Lee Pace
will portray the film's villains Nebula and Ronan the Accuser, Glenn Close will portray the head of the Nova
Corps, John C. Reilly will play Rhomann Dey, apparently reworked as the SHIELD-type liaison to the Guardians, Benicio Del Toro is portraying The Collector, Djimon Hounsou is playing Korath the Pursuer and Ophelia Lovibond has been cast in an as-of-yet unspecified role.
Tropes applying to this film:
- Action Girl: Gamora.
- Adaptation Distillation: The movie roster contains elements from the classic comic series and the more recent series.
- Lee Pace has said that Ronan will be a top admiral of Thanos, much like the Ultimate Marvel version of the character.
- Adaptational Villainy: Yondu was a member of the original Silver Age Guardians. Here, he's Nebula's henchman.
- Anti-Hero: The titular characters according to Zoe Saldana.
- Or, like Karen Gillian said, its good guys within the bad guys.
- Badass Adorable: Rocket Raccoon.
- Bald of Evil: Nebula.
- Bald Women: Again, Nebula.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Nebula and Ronan.
- Bigger Bad: Thanos. Early reports say he won't actually appear in the movie, but most of the film's villains serve as his emissaries.
- Cool Helmet: Star Lord, as always, can be seen sporting his distinctive helmet.
- Cyborg: James Gunn said that Rocket Raccoon is going to be a half-animal, half-machine creature. Nebula also has a cybernetic eye.
- Dark Action Girl: Nebula.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Karen Gillan shaved her head completely bald for the role.
- Early-Bird Cameo: The Collector shows up during The Stinger of Thor: The Dark World.
- Funny Animal: Rocket Raccoon.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe: Gamora.
- Also Nebula, who's a blue skinned space pirate.
- Ophelia Lovibond plays a pink-skinned assistant to the Collector.
- Heel-Face Turn: According to Kevin Feige, Gamora was associated with Nebula, Ronan and Thanos before joining the Guardians.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Star-Lord, according to Chris Pratt.
- Mickey Mousing: According to James Gunn composer Tyler Bates will write some of the score before the film enters production so that Gunn can film to the music.
- Plant Aliens: Groot.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: We've got a displaced earthling, an alien assassin, an alien bruiser, a sentient tree and a raccoon with a huge gun.
- Rubber-Forehead Aliens: The alien characters of the film seems to be this according to some pictures.
- Something Completely Different: Marvel has stated this was the reason they decided to make the film.
- So My Kids Can Watch: Djimon Hounsou has admitted in an interview that he took the role of Korath the Pursuer for his son, who loves the Superhero genre.
- Space Opera
- Space Pirate: Nebula.
- Space Police: The Nova Corps.
- Unexpected Character: The movie is pretty much a gathering of C-list and D-list Marvel characters that nobody would have expected to be featured in a film.