Released by Namco
in 1987 as an arcade title, it was more recently revived as a webcomic as part of Shifty Look
. Fully titled Wonder Momo: Battle Idol
the comic is a comedy and action based series that goes on with on going story arcs. The arcade game was Namco's last 8-bit title. Her only other video game appearance was as a playable character in Namco × Capcom
Tropes common across the whole series:
The Video Games provide examples of:
- Ring Of Death: Her main weapon is a hula hoop which she uses to fight her enemies.
- Panty Shot: A game element used to stun the main character if a photographer in the audience will try to get a shot of Momo's panties.
The Web Comic provides examples of:
- Action Mom: Original protagonist is the mother of the main character and was also able juggle being a mother and taking care of Momoko when she was young.
- Alpha Bitch: Akiho Mazo, aka Amazona.
- Art Shift: When in flashback to the Original Wonder Momo the art more closely resembles the official art of the game.
- Glory Hound: Akiho. She ends up with the film role of Wonder Momo, and seems intent on rubbing it in the real Momo's face!
- Legacy Character: Momoko is given an upgraded version of the Wonder Momo power suit by an alien who mistook her for the original (despite being two decades younger). Turns out Momoko is the daughter of the original Wonder Momo.
- Amazona is a variant: the original Amazona was Momo's nemesis. After their final battle, a young girl (and Momo fangirl) found Amazona's power orb and decided she could be a new, heroic Amazona.
- Teen Idol: Akiho. Momoko's attempts to become one are met with failure prior to becoming Momo.
- You Wanna Get Sued?: This comic almost referenced Superman.