Characters: Tokyo Ravens
Characters in Tokyo Ravens. A work in progress.
Spoiler Warning: This page has unmarked and unavoidable spoilers. Read at your own risk.
Spoiler Warning: This page has unmarked and unavoidable spoilers. Read at your own risk.
open/close all folders
The main male protagonist. A member of the branch family of the Tsuchimikado clan, who was born without the ability to sense spiritual power.
- Badass Longcoat: He wears a long Raven Coat worn after he recovers his memories.
- Book Dumb: Not that good at Onmyodo. Averted Later.
- Childhood Friends: With his cousin Natsume.
- Combat Pragmatist: After witnessing the duel between Jin and D, he takes a much stronger interest in learning magic and begins applying their tactics to his own.
- Crazy-Prepared: After awakening as Yakou, when he was going out to chat with an old friend, he prepares an airdrop of Magitek tanks.
- Eyepatch of Power: After recovering his memories and losing an eye.
- Empathic Weapon: Empathic Armour. His magical coat is actually a shikigami with the appearance of a black coat. It thinks and defends the wearer against physical and magical attacks.
- Eye Scream: He gets an eye slashed out by Reiji.
- Facial Markings: A pentagram (star) when Natsume did the ritual to make him her shikigami with her blood. It was removed when Natsume removed all the seals on him to let him awaken as Yakou.
- Familiar: He's Natsume's main shikigami, and also uses one of his own named Kon. Kon is later revealed to be Hishamaru, Yakou's shikigami who let her powers be sealed.
- Flight: The Raven Coat grants his wearer the ability to fly.
- I Am Who?: He is the true reincarnation of Yakou Tsuchimikado.
- In-Series Nickname: Baka-tora.
- Magic Staff: Has one, a khakkahara (shakujo), given to him by Jin Ohtomo. It was destroyed when he faced against Shaver.
- Mistaken for Gay: Because Natsume wanted to prove her boy disguise worked, people thought it was a gay relationship.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Several times with Kon due to her child like body. The first time is when he asked Kon how her tail works, Kon pulled down her pants to show him and then Natsume walked in the room.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Sort of. While eventually he turns out to be fairly powerful in spiritual terms, he never developed Supernatural Sensitivity. In reality his real father, Yasuzumi Tsuchimikado, sealed his abilities away but it was partly undone by Natsume when she made him into her shikigami.
- Multicolored Hair: Has blonde hair with some black.
- New Transfer Student: Transfers to the Onmyo Academy in Tokyo to be with Natsume. One of the reasons is that because he is her familiar and the other is because of the incident with Suzuka Dairenji, a Divine General who went rouge, the Onmyo Agency wanted him to keep the incident quiet.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: He beats up a transformed Touji.
- Oblivious to Love: Has 3 girls going around him throughout the series, and it takes the majority of the anime series before he notices.
- Onmyoji: Born into the onmyoji family, though at the start of the story he's not that interested in becoming one.
- Power Limiter: Applied to him when he was very young. It was partly undone when Natsume made him into her shikigami. Natsume later fully released them while when he was awakening as Yakou.
- Power Tattoo: As part of becoming Natsume's shikigami he receives a mark on his cheek shaped like a five-pointed star, which is occasionally shown to glow.
- The Promise: With Kyoko. He doesn't remembers until after Natsume is found out to be a girl. Also Natsume.
- Refusal of the Call: At first he didn't want to be the real chosen one.
- Reincarnation: Of his ancestor Yakou Tsuchimikado.
- The Stoic: As Yakou, very little shakes him up.
- Not So Stoic: That being said, he still has some traits of his persona even after awakening as Yakou
- Switched at Birth: With his cousin Natsume, which is why she's thought to be the choosen one.
- ¡Three Amigos!: With Hokuto and Touji.
- Took a Level in Badass: While fighting Shaver.
- Unskilled, but Strong:
- Harutora can't see spirit energy unaided, but has so much power that he's known to accidentally make magic items explode.
- Averted later after he recovers his memories as Yakou, slowing moving towards game breaker with both immense skill and power.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: The Raven Coat also grants the ability for the wearer to turn into a raven.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: As part of the kickstart after fully realizing he's the reincarnation of Yakou Tsuchimikado.
The main female protagonist. She is the future head of the Tsuchimikado clan, and such a genius at Onmyodo that many suspect her to be a reincarnation of the infamous Yakou Tsuchimikado. Due to family tradition she is forced to pose as a boy while at school.
- A-Cup Angst: In the Light Novel, she thinks her breasts are too small.
- The Ace: Her skills in her second year of the academy are enough that she was virtually guaranteed a position as a professional Onmyouji.
- Back from the Dead: Gets partly revived when Harutora does the Taizan Fukun Ritual.
- Bokukko: She uses boku while disguised as a boy. She sometimes slips into a feminine way of speaking.
- Bound and Gagged: She's bound by Suzuka when the latter tries to break into her room. As soon as Suzuka tries to go for the closet, though, Natsume breaks free and summons Hokuto to stop her attempt.
- Can't Live Without You: Has her life tied to her dragon thanks to Harutora botched attempt to revive her.
- Cast from Hit Points: After Natsume’s partial resurrection, her magical power is drawn from the power that sustains her life. Overuse of her powers will kill her.
- Childhood Friends: With her cousin Harutora.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She's crazy and jealous over Harutora.
- The Chosen One: To the Yakou devotees, she's the reincarnation of her ancestor Yakou, and as such revere and place her on a pedestal. Apparently, this was intentional by her father. She's not the real one; Harutora is.
- Friendless Background: Other than Harutora, she has no other friends at first.
- Gender Reveal: She was under a spell to prevent others from noticing she was female, right until her Clothing Damage made it impossible to hide.
- Glamour Failure: Any high level onmyoji can see that she is not a living being after her partial resurrection.
- Hybrid Monster: Like Touji she became a "Living Spirit" after Hokuto fused with her soul. In her case, she's a Half-Dragon.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Her main summon, Hokuto, is a dragon.
- Japanese Honorifics: Uses -kun when addressing Harutora while she is wearing female clothing. She drops the honorifics when disguised as a boy but sometimes slips.
- Limited Wardrobe: In-universe: While disguised as a male, she only has her school uniform and athletic clothing.
- Miko: Initially raised as one.
- Mistaken for Gay: See Harutora's section above.
- Onmyoji: As expected of her family.
- Our Liches Are Different: Following her botched resurrection, Natsume is neither dead nor truly living, her soul is bound to her familiar, Hokuto.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Although it is a tad more complicated than normal. She's uses a fairly light spell to disguise herself, but it's apparently powerful enough to fool everyone in the school, including the principal and the teachers. The flaw is that it can't protect her against clothes-ripping, such as in the fight with Shaver.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Which is adequate for the series.
- Red Herring: Invoked by her father. Raised to be this to the fanatic Yakou Devotees.
- Shock and Awe: Generally speaking, she uses Lightning magic after the Time Skip.
- Summon Magic: She's capable of summoning a True Dragon.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Attends school as a boy.
- Switched at Birth: With her cousin Harutora.
- Synchronization: Can synch with her shikigami to the degree that she can feel pain when it does, and later with Hokuto.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: When Suzuka tries to break into her room and attempts to break a seal on the closet, the first thing Natsume, after getting untied, does to stop the former is to summon Hokuto. In the dormitory.
- Tornado Move: Uses one against Takiko Souma.
- Tragic Dropout: After her partial resurrection.
- The Unreveal: Viewers will never know whatever was in her closet.
- Tsundere: She is this towards Harutora. She switches between a harsh and sweet.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: While dressed in feminine attire.
Harutora's friend. He used to be a delinquent until 2 years ago where he was a victim of terrorism plot using spiritual disasters and was turn in was known as a "Living Spirit". From that time on Harutora's doctor father has been treating him the aftereffects, one of them being his ability to use "Spirit Slight" after the incident like most Onmyoji.
- Badass: In his past, he was an infamous delinquent. And in episode 9, he was able to control his oni side giving him a huge boost in power.
- Badass Boast: An inversion. Telling Harutora that he could kill him with just a punch effectively makes unable to him to punch him since he knows his friend will die. Harutora then proceeds give him a beatdown.
- Badasses Wear Bandanas: The only time he takes it off is when he pulls out his ogre power.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Touji's days before he met Harutora and his dad weren't very pretty putting it mildly. When under the control of the oni during his time being treated, he beat Harutora to the point of massive bleeding, while he started crying.
- Deadpan Snarker: And he does such a good job of it.
- The Gadfly: He enjoys messing with his friends.
- Horned Humanoid: He is a half-Oni Hybrid Monster.
- Mystical White Hair: When using his Oni powers.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Beats up Harutora when they were younger and is on the receiving end of one after his transformation.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: It turns white after becoming a ogre.
- Power Incontinence: He couldn't control it at first, so they had to keep her sealed.
- Resist The Beast: Before learning to control the Oni in him, he had treatments to help suppress his transformation.
- Shipper on Deck: Mixed with Only Sane Man, as he wants Harutora and Natsume to get together so they wont suffer with each other.
- Shoulders of Doom: When transformed.
- Super Strength: As an oni he is capable of tossing giant armored warriors as if they were junk.
- True Sight: He can tell whether or not someone is a shikigami.
- Youkai: He is a half-Oni after the spirit disaster from two years before the story.
The youngest of the Twelve Divine Generals, recently turned rogue. She targeted Natsume in an attempt to use Yakou Tsuchimikado's forbidden ritual to bring her brother back to life.
- Anti-Villain: Before her Heel-Face Turn, she was the first antagonist Harutora and Natsume faced. She came wanting to resurrect her dead beloved brother who died because of the experiments their parents put them through to produce splendid onmyoji. During her crusade, she broke into areas to find forbidden knowledge of the Taizan Fukun Ritual, attacked agents of the Magical Crime Investigation Bureau, made Harutora an unwitting pawn to steal some of Natsume's power and killed Harutora's friend Hokuto. When she does the ritual, her brother's revived body chokes her.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: After enrolling in Onmyoji Academy, Suzuka quickly turns the tables on Harutora and Natsume, essentially blackmailing them with their secrets and bossing them around. All while keeping the façade of a cute genius freshman.
- Blondes Are Evil: The first antagonist Harutora faced. Subverted after her Heel-Face Turn.
- Brought Down to Badass: She still can kick ass with her powers sealed.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: This happens when she realizes Harutora is in the same school she enrolls in and happens to notice him. Cue to that knowing she wants some payback. It happens a second time when she caught Natsume too.
- Child Prodigy: She's the youngest Divine General to ever exist, something that is explained by the massive amount of experiments her parents conducted on Suzuka and her brother.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her father did many experiments, both to her and her brother. It's implied is the cause of her power.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: More like "Defeat equals Falling for the other person". Successfully convincing her to stop the ritual caused her to eventually fall for Harutora.
- Erotic Eating: Suggestively licks whatever sweets she has in her hand.
- Freudian Threat: Promises she'll burn Harutora's manhood to a crisp if he doesn't warn Natsume that Suzuka is coming for her.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Her ritual to revive her brother doesn't come out as good as she expected.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite her Heel-Face Turn, she's very haughty and goes around turning Harutora and Natsume's school life upside down for the first few weeks following her transfer. Nevertheless, she grows to accept her condition, and ends up becoming a valuable ally to the main cast.
- Leitmotif: An eerie whistle can be heard when Suzuka makes her appearance as an antagonist, and when re-introduced as a New Transfer Student.
- Little Miss Badass: One of the youngest characters in the cast (barring Kon), but she's a Divine General, and is constantly ahead of the rest of the protagonists without even trying.
- New Transfer Student: She is forcibly enrolled in the Onmyo Academy as punishment and for her reeducation. As Harutora and company's underclassman, no less.
- The Nicknamer: She calls Touji "headband", to put an example.
- Non-Uniform Uniform: Her uniform had added frills and shorter outer jacket than the other Onmyo Academy girls' uniform.
- Onmyoji: One of the most powerful as a Twelve Divine General.
- Oral Fixation: Her very first scene consists of close-ups of her licking a lollipop.
- Paper Talisman: Her schtick. She uses a magic book that acts likes a talisman.
- Power Limiter: One was put on her as punishment for her previous troubles.
- Power Parasite: Can use a familiar to steal power from someone, which she does on Natsume.
- Sempai/Kohai: Becomes the kohai (underclassman) of Harutora and co. after transferring to his school.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Suzuka's short fuse is prone to making her spout a constant barrage of cuss words.
- Starter Villain: She was the first villain in the series, but she made them work for the win.
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: One of the shorter girls in the cast, and one with a terrifying attitude at that.
- Took A Level In A Kindness: After her reintroduction and official joining of Harutora's group, she's taken small steps towards atoning for her past actions.
- Tsundere: After transferring to Onmyoji Academy, Suzuka is very abrasive around Harutora and company, though she can be seen blushing and stuttering heavily when someone implies she's fallen in love with Harutora.
Granddaughter of the Onmyo Academy's Principal and heir to the Kurahashi clan.
- Astrologer: Develops the ability to read the stars later in the story, thus making her a Seer.
- Always Second Best: Out of all of first and second year students only Natsume is known to better than her in terms of overall magic abilities.
- Big Sister Instinct: Adopts a big sister behaviour towards Suzuka following the latter's Heel-Face Turn, trying to be her confidant and even encouraging her to confess her feelings to Harutora. Of course, Suzuka is none too thrilled about it.
- Cool Big Sis: As noted above, she takes on something of this role towards Suzuka.
- Long-Lost Relative: Distant relative to Harutora and Natsume.
- Love at First Sight: She fell in love with Harutora as a child.
- The Ojou: Hails from an esteemed family, and acts the part.
- Ojou Ringlets: Fitting her ojou role, she has these, trailing from rose-shaped buns.
- Onmyoji: Like the other leads, she's one of these with the usual Summon Magic that comes with it.
- The Promise: Made one long ago, with Harutora after they couldn't find the ribbon she lost, to meet again; though she actually thinks she did it with Natsume. Until she finds out that Natsume is a girl.
- Summon Magic: Her preferred method of attack. Uses two powerful Manmade Type defense class familiars named Hakuou & Kofuku.
- Zettai Ryouki: Sports thigh-high stockings in a Grade A variation.
A classmate Harutora and Touji befriend during their first day. He is the successor of the Momoe family who owns the company Witchcraft Corp.
- Butt Monkey: Between being the Generic Guy and largely Out of Focus, he's this.
- Beneath Notice: Suzu points out that the Onmyoudo agency saw him as this, which allows him to sabotage the agency and eventually turn into a stealth spell.
- The Generic Guy: To the point that Suzuka immediately forgets his name, much to his dismay.
- It's All My Fault: Briefly during the D incident he blamed himself.
- Megane: Called this by Shizuka.
- Nervous Wreck: Sometimes bulks at more dangerous moments.
- Nice Guy: Called verbatim by Harutora.
- Onmyoji: He's one of the more grounded students.
- Parental Abandonment: His parents are dead.
- Perception Filter: Develops the stealth ability.
- Shipper on Deck: To Harutora and Suzuka.
- Unwitting Pawn: Had a paper talisman planted on him that helps Ashiya Doman enter the academy.
Akino SoumaA new major character that appears in the second half of the novels. She is a "Living Spirit" who originally met Natsume in Seihuku Temple and became fast friends. After some "dire circumstances" that happened within the temple resulting in its complete and utter destruction, she travels with Natsume and rest of Tsuchimikados to Tokyo. She's a branch member of the Souma Clan, one of three great Onmyouji families.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Her rabbit spirit leaves her with a short attention span.
- Little Bit Beastly: She's a Living Spirit of a rabbit not found on earth, giving her bunny ears.
- Powers via Possession: Being possessed by a rabbit spirit, she has natural speed surpassing most others, especially when panicked.
Voiced by: Fumi Hirano (Japanese), Wendy Powell (English)The principal of Onmyoji Academy and the previous head of the Kurahashi clan.
- Astrologer: A famous one, to the point where even Onmyo Agency has relied on her advice from time to time. Further she predicted when one of Twin Horn Syndicate members would strike which prompted Jin to hand Harutora the staff to protect himself.
- Big Good: The principal of Onmyoji Academy and the previous head of the Kurahashi clan.
- Long Lived: She knew Yakou Tsuchimikado and Douman when she was a child.
- House Arrest: After the incident at the Onmyoji Bureau she's been put on house arrest.
The homeroom teacher for Harutora, Natsume, Touji, Kyoko, and Tenma. He used to work as a Magic Investigator in the Onmyo Agency's Magic Crimes Investigation Department prior to his injury.
- An Arm and a Leg: He lost his leg when he first went against Douman Ashiya, though the latter deduces it was intentional, as Jin deliberately escaped without so much of a retaliation in order to prepare himself for a rematch.
- Badass: One of the most powerful Shamans in the story, he repeatedly showcases his skills in his fight against Douman.
- Badass Teacher: He's mostly content on spending his days as the main cast's homeroom teacher, but his history as a former Divine General means he can step up to stop powerful threats like Douman Ashiya if the principal wishes so.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves the group from Douman and eventually manages to defeat him with some help from Kogure.
- Combat Pragmatist: He admits that he's better suited for lying and bluffing, as well as exchanging minor attacks, so when going up against Douman, he knows that he can't win in raw power. Jin simply goes through various diversions to discern the true nature of Douman's undead state. When he finds that out, he calls out on the power of other shamans to exorcise Douman, defeating him.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He descibres himself as a talentless onmyoji who only excels in lying, but reality is that he is one of the strongest onmyoji around.
- Curse: Having learned from Amami, who can spin curses by merely talking to his opponents, he intimidates Reiji by the mere thought of inflicting one on him, to the point where Reiji doesn't know if he's bluffing or not.
- Elemental Powers: His primary boast of attack. Often recites throughout the series on which element overcomes which, although Justified that they are a part of the spell.
- The Gadfly: Just as much as Touji.
- Guile Hero: He does what it takes to win, fair-fight be damned.
- Handicapped Badass: Has a peg-leg but is still an excellent onmyoji. He lost it while escaping from Douman Ashiya the first time he met him.
- Locked into Strangeness: Following his rematch against Douman Ashiya, Jin's hair turns white.
- Mundane Solution: His solution after Kagami cast the barrier spell he used on Douman against him? Throw a simple, weak shikigami in front of him and watch it be sealed.
- Onmyoji: One of the most powerful in the series.
- Paper Talisman: Although he prefers to use the Swallow Whip ones, this is his preferred method of attack.
- Red Baron: He was given the nickname "Shadow" as a Divine General. After the timeskip, he becomes known as the White Yagatarasu because he has three-legs (the cane) and his white hair.
- Retired Badass: He used to be one of the Twelve Generals.
A third year student Harutora meets during his 2nd semester who's often mistaken to be younger than she is, oddly enough she really likes little girls herself.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: How many people including Harutora see her.
- Defector from Decadence: Worked for a year in the now defunct Lingering Spirit Division which turned out to be a nest of Yakou devotees. It's unknown if she knew if this was the case though.
- Doing Research:Lead Yakou researcher who wrote about Yakou's Raven Coat
- Emotionless Girl: Very quiet, inexpresive and weird overall.
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: Her jacket has extra long sleeves, which cover her hands.
- Lolicon: Played for laughs.
- Cuteness Proximity: For some reason, she really loves cute things.
- Older Than They Look: Suzu Saotome was a classmate of both Jin Ohtomo and Kogure about 10 years ago. It is unclear if she is the same person or why does she looks so young.
- Servile Snarker: To Douman, whom she actually beats when he gets too annoying.
- Spanner in the Works: A potential one according to Shidou Dairenji.
- !¡Three Amigos!!: Was this with Jin Ohtomo and Zenjirou Kogure on earlier years.
Mako Fujino & Ako Kifu
Mako Fujino & Ako Kifu
Mako voiced by: Kotono Mitsuishi (Japanese), Laura Wetsel (English)
Ako voiced by: Aya Hisakawa (Japanese), Skyler McIntosh (English)Dormitory Mothers of the academy and huge BL fanatics. They Harutora, Natsume (as a male) and Touji are in a LoveTriangle due to rumors. Which is further fuelled by a fiasco involving a male shikigami doppelganger of Natsume. It's long story.
- Yaoi Fangirl: As said above, huge BL fanatics
Voiced by: Mitsuo Senda (Japanese), Charles Campbell (English)A teacher who used to be an independent Exorcist.
Jun KitoshitaA female 2nd year student who goes a date with Harutora during his first year.
Twelve Divine Generals
Suzuka DairenjiSee Leading Characters above.
A Divine General and Director of the Magical Crime Investigation Bureau.
- And I Must Scream: After successfully routing the Twin Horn Syndicate members within the Onmyo Agency during a mop up operation, he gets betrayed and captured by Genji and Miyachi. He is then tortured by having his throat burned, ligaments and tendons cut and his power sealed so he can't use spells at all. Amami then has death curse placed on upon him which will kill him in 10 days, and the left in a underground cell. He makes it out alive while still screwing up his captors plans.
- Badass: Oh yes! He earned his position.
- Familiar: Two Manmade Type ones and another which is his fan.
- He Knows Too Much: Ends up discovering the Exorcist Agency involvement on the Twin Horn Syndicate.
- Iconic Item: A folding fan.
- Master of Illusion: His schtick. Special thanks to his fan.
- Making a Splash: Uses a water spell against Hirata/Takiko.
- The Mentor: Becomes a sort of mentor to Touji.
- The Paralyzer: Just touching Takiko with his fan makes her faint.
- Power Limiter: The seal on his power is locked under is too strong for anyone barring the person who put it there to remove.
- Red Baron: Known as "Divine Fan".
- Retirony: Averted at first, but then played straight. He survives.
- Shock and Awe: Uses a water spell against Hirata/Takiko.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino (Japanese), Jarrod Greene (English)
A Divine General who works for Onmyo Agency as a Independent Exorcist. He has a history with Jin Ohtomo and is generally arrogant and unsociable.
- The Assimilator: To the ogres he hunts and use to transform.
- Cool Shades: Almost always has his red shades on him.
- Climax Boss: His fight against Harutora is what turns him into Yakou.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Even moreso when he gives one to Harutora on his eye and Amami has the same power limiter on his forehead.
- Hidden Depths: Actually listens to Harutora about the magic fight he saw, and after that he compels him to grow stronger, supposedly so he can beat him. It ends up being a botched attempt when he uses it against Jin.
- Jerkass: He really tries to be an unlikable guy.
- Leitmotif: A wild electric guitar riff plays whenever the scene's emphasis is on him.
- The Mentor: He works with teaching Touji how to use his Ogre after the Time Skip in exchange for Amami assisting in finding Harutora and Jin, as well as being able to take Touji's Ogre as a shikigami if he completely falls.
Voiced by: Shinya Takahashi (Japanese), Joel McDonald (English)
An easy going guy who happens to be a old classmate and friend of Jin Ohtomo. Works for the Onmyo Agency as an Independent Exorcist and is a Divine General. Has a group of crow-like Tengus called Karasu-Tengu.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: A blonde in the Light Novels
- Badass: Defeats Doman (with help) and Mutobe.
- Katanas Are Just Better: His katana is called the "Second Norimune" and it is a magical tool that part of a set of eight legendary once supposedly guarded by a Great Tengu.
- Knight Templar: He's a mild example since as long the Onmyo Agency's goal stay toward the greater good of the magic community, he's willing to turn a blind eye to some of it's shady and questionable methods. Even if he doesn't agree with them.
- Onmyoji: His familars actually manifest as a few things. The tengu are one of them.
- Cool Bike: The bike he sometimes uses is a familiar as well.
- Red Baron: Known as the Heavenly Sword.
- Sword Beam: One of his methods of attack.
- !¡Three Amigos!!: Was this with Jin Ohtomo and Ryou Saotome in earlier years.
- What the Hell, Hero?: To Jin more so in the Light Novels, after he decides to let Harutora and co perform Taizan Fukun Ritual.
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (Japanese), Alex Organ (English)
A Divine General and commander of the Exorcism Department Purification Rite Control Room.
- Badass: Called the strongest of the Twelve Generals.
- Blinding Bangs: His hair cover his eyes, which gives him an odd look.
- Cruel Mercy: To Daizen Amami, through it did was on good intentions of his side.
- The Dreaded: To an extent, but no one wants to fight with him for obvious reasons.
- The Dragon: To Genji Kurahashi.
- Evil Former Friend: Not necessarily evil, but he was a friend to the Tsuchimikado family times ago. That doesnt stop him for burning their house down when they refuse to give him the Raven Coat.
- Improbable Weapon User: Multiple vajras, wielded via telekinesis.
- Noble Demon: Follows the Big Bad orders, but he is damn polite and its clear he doesnt really want to do much of what he´s ordered. He also changes Genji's curse that was supposed to kill Amami to freeze him instead in order to save his life.
- Perma Stubble: He goes without shaving.
- Red Baron: Known as "Flame Devil/Fire Demon".
- Undying Loyalty: To Genji Kurahashi.
- Unskilled, but Strong: An interesting case. It's not that he is really unskilled, but his magical training pretty much consisted on leveling up his basic fire skills to divine level instead of applying in multiples areas like the others. This makes him, however, the strongest shaman of his time, not counting the likes of Yakou and Douman.
Voiced by: Hiroshi Tsuchida (Japanese), Jason Kane (English)A Divine General and Special Clairvoyance Officer. Also section chief of the Intelligence Division Clairvoyance Office
- Non-Action Guy: He doesn't fight. In fact, he hides behind whoever he can find.
- Red Baron: Known as "Divine Eye".
- Sensor Character: Arguably the best that the Onmyouji Bureau has to offer. Even if someone is under a stealth spell, he can pinpoint them.
- True Sight: Has the best spirit-sight in the series.
A Divine General and an Independent Exorcist for the Onmyo Agency.
- Barrier Warrior: She specializes in barrier magic, which is potent enough to deflect Chizuru's powerful lightning spells and even restrain both her and Yasuzumi, though it's not enough to match Takahiro, who simply walks past her.
- Do Not Call Me Paul: She doesn't appreciate Miyachi calling her "Maririn".
- Lawful Neutral: She's technically on the side of the law and acts on her superiors orders, but either she's blind to the corruption that's taken place or she just follows orders without question.
The current head of the Kurahashi clan; father of Kyoko and son of Miyo. He is a Divine General and is the head of both the Exorcism Bureau and the Onmyo Agency.
- Badass: It has to be one since he´s the one who put the power limiter on Kagami.
- He Knows Too Much: His reason to apparently disposing of Amami.
- The Leader: He is the higest authory of Onmyo Agency and leader of the Divine Generals.
- Running Both Sides: He is technically a Yakou fanatic, but one of the more "agreeable" ones.
- The Mentor: Has a disciple in the Light Novels, who eventually becomes a Divine General
- The Plan: He used the Twin Horn Syndicate by directing Takiko Souma, Shidou Dairenji and Chihiro Mutobe to manipulate the Twin Horn Syndicate into causing spiritual disasters and then allowed Takiko to purge the syndicate of fanatics en mass. This increased the public’s reliance on the agency, prompted the government to increase the agency’s resources and elevate the Onmyo Agency's status to a major ministry of Japanese government up from mere bureau. Ultimately, the plan expands his own authority by increasing influence of onmyoji and magic in Japan and creates a power base for the reincarnated Yakou Tsuchimikado to achieve his desires with Genji Kurahashi’s support.
- Red Baron: Known as "Heaven Holder/Bearer".
- Visionary Villain: He plans to restore Yakou Tsuchimikado to increase the the status of magicians in Japan.
Hayato YamashiroNewly appointed Divine General introduced in the 2nd half of novels. Through still a rookie among his colleagues Hayato is Genji's personal disciple. He is also Natsume's senior by two years and fought her in volume 10 inside the Seihuku Temple.
Twin Horn Syndicate
- Affably Evil —> Anti-Hero: Very calm and acts like a nice guy even when killing the other Yakou devotees.
- Cover Blowing Super Power: Using the Imperial Pallbearers reveals her to be more just a mere underling in Twin Horn to Amami.
- Fiery Redhead: Not exactly fiery, but lets her emotions overcome her many times.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Her Fatal Flaw. She had a troubled time while growing up, and this put her in a bad position. The problem is that she only wants to be friends with Yakou (for some strange reason), but gets seen as a fanatic to everyone she meets. She's also a nice girl, and her shikigami respect that, but she's too easily convinced when being ordered around.
- Last Of Her Kind: The last heir of the Souma clan.
- Master of Disguise: She was even able to fool Amami in their fight.
- Multicolored Hair: When posing as Hirata Atsune.
- Out-Gambitted: Amami realized that there was indeed something wrong in the fight with Hiraya. He only didn't expect the person to be a girl in disguise.
- Miko: Implied that she grew up as one, which has led to her life being rather sheltered.
- Replacement Goldfish: For Jin Ohtomo as the investigator of the Twin Horn Syndicate. Too bad she is a mole.
- Spanner in the Works: Kinda. It was her fault Amami discovered the truth about the Twin Horn Syndicate.
- Summon Magic: Capable of summoning powerful shikigamis who can give a Divine General quite the trouble.
- Underestimating Badassery: Faces Amami and even believes to have defeated him. She´s wrong.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Her impulsive personality makes her be this many times. First, she gets Daizen Amami nearly killed by trying to brainwash him into an ally, and then Natsume is actually killed by forcing the Raven Coat on a sealed Harutora.
- Walking Spoiler: While this part is brief, her initial appearance as Atsune makes it impossible to not mention her after she blows her cover as him.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Believes that she is working towards Yakou Tsuchimikado's goals.
- Abusive Parents: To both Suzuka and her brother. He experimented on both heavily, causing his son’s death and modified Suzuka into a vessel for divine summoning.
- Bishōnen: Lampshaded by Genji Kurahashi and justified in that he was revived as way to suit Takiko Souma.
- Boxing Battler: Explained that he was a boxer in his past life and demonstrated in Episode 21.
- Code Name: Yashamaru
- Demoted to Dragon: Once the leader of the Twin Horns Syndicate, but now Takiko Souma´s familiar. However he still holds sway with Genji Kurahashi.
- Doing Research: The former Imperial Household Agency Spirit Division studied the nature of souls and the spirits.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: Knows boxing techniques.
- Mad Scientist: One reason he committed spiritual terrorism with himself as the catalyst was create the first ever phase 5 spiritual disaster and test if a god can be summoned to the mortal plane.
- One-Winged Angel: Had the same abilities as Touji
- Red Baron: Called "The Professor"
- Supernaturally Young Parent: He was revived at that age.
Suzuka father´s old right hand man, also a Yakou devotee.
- Badass: Tosses Hokuto around like nothing and completely curbstomps the main gang without much effort.
- Barbarian Longhair: Rather untidy.
- Code Name: Kumomaru
- Familiar: Gets revived as Takiko's Shikigami
- Invisibility: Just like Kon.
- Nonchalant Dodge: To Hokuto. He dodges it, dissappearing and appearing again with his head facing the ground, always with a bored expression.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Uses magic to wreak havoc across the city with phase 3-4 spiritual disasters before going down.
- Summon Magic: He can summon wolves.
The legendary onmyoji descendant of Abe No Seimei who disappeared after causing spirituals disasters in Tokyo after a failed ritual. He's known as the father modern Onmyoudo and called the King of the North Star by his most devoted followers.
- Badass Army: The Tsuchigumos and other familiars.
- Badass Longcoat: The Raven Coat
- The Dark Arts: Created and complied the Imperial-style Onmyodo, most of which is banned.
- The Faceless: His face is never fully shown. Images shown in the series always have him turned back or with his face somehow obscured.
- Expy: Some of his attires, like the one in the image at the right, make him evoke the cape and military uniform of Yasunori Kato, though his role is more akin to Abe no Seimei himself.
- Famous Ancestor: Or rather infamous, since he is mostly remembered for trying to use the forbidden Taizan Fukun ritual. His failure led to the downfall of the Tsuchimikado clan.
- Founder of Magic: Developed Imperial-style Onmyodo from which modern Onmyodo is derived and also founded Onmyo Preparatory School
- Iconic Outfit: The Raven Coat too.
- The Leader: Became the first Head/Chief of Onmyo Agency after it was rebuilt and reestablished from the old Onmyo Bureau by the Japanese Imperial Army.
Yasuzumi Tsuchimikadowhich is normally considered impossible. He also taught Natsume many arcane spells.
Voiced by: Tomoyuki Shimura (Japanese), Mike McFarland (English)Harutora's father who works as countryside doctor. Used to work for the Onmyo Agnecy as a First-class Magic Investigator under Amami.
- Retired Badass: Back in the day, he was a First-class Magic Investigator. He shows he hasn't lost his touch when Mari barges in the Tsuchimikado household with several exorcists, easily bypassing Mari's restraints.
- Combat Medic: Basically how he first met and saved Touji from his demonization this way.
Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe (Japanese), Rachel Robinson (English)Harutora's mother, who also once worked at the Onmyo Agency, but as an Exorcism Officer in Akibara Branch and was one of their top members. She is quite well known for her "go getter" personality and highly destructive lightning magic.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Doesn't like being called "The Human Power Generator" and has made up a list of cool nicknames for herself, but unfortunately for her, it is the only nickname Mari Yuge can relate to her.
- I Have Many Names: Lum of Akihabara, Exorcism Bureau's Skygod: Komachi, Flashing Lady Thunder, The Human Power Generator.
- The Mentor: Becomes this to Natsume
JougenThe head monk of the Temple that Natsume than later Harutora visits. He leads an conservative reformist faction of traditional who Onmyouji who suffered under the more draconian policies and near tyrannical laws of the Onmyo Agency. When Harutora arrives he attempts bring him over to their side, but the negotiations go sour and resorts to force coercion him instead. Needlessly to say, it does not end well.
SenokinaAn old good friend of Harutora when he was known as Yakou 60 years ago. He is safekeeping an artifact, a mythological fruit called the "Tojiki" that Yakou left with him long ago that had powers relating to life and death. Sen was also Yakou shogi partner who later had never been able to beat.
Douman "D" Ashiya
Legendary Onmyouji who was once Abe no Semei's ancient rival during the Heian period. He also acquainted with Yakou Tsuchimikado and Kakgyouki.
- Always Second Best: Spent his entire life trying to best Abe no Seimei at anything involving sorcery.
- Badass Army: Can summon an army of fake Tsuchigumos. Just to remember, Suzuka could only control one. In the LN version, he summons and controls an army of hundreds of shikigami including several powerful Phase 3-4 spiritual disasters and his own personal Defense Shikigami. While he's simultaneously attacking two places, no less.
- Badass Grandpa: As experienced and long-lived as he is, it comes as no surprise when he delivers one of the most climatic battles in the story against Jin. The Divine Generals are constantly on edge because of the threat that he poses.
- Blood Knight/For the Evulz: Unlike most of the rivals here, he's purely having a fun time because he wanted to and has seen a lot.
- Body Horror: His head gets turned 180º degrees during his battle with Jin Ohtomo.
- Cool Car: A limo, and then a black car. In both cases, he is driven around by a chauffeur, possibly a human-like familiar.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Following his defeat at the hands of Jin Ohtomo (with a little exorcising from Kogure), Douman drops the hostilities and offers to answer everything Jin asks. Later on, they also team up to take on the Onmyo Bureau, and eventually make a familiar pact, with Douman being the familiar.
- Demonic Possession: He posses human corpses, and when his senior citizen body his destroyed in an explosion, he simply switches to that of a young boy.
- The Dreaded: His mere presence in the story is enough to believe that the Onmyo Agency was going for There Is No Kill Like Overkill during the fight. No, that is actually his full power, and he takes at least three absurdly powerful spells to the face before almost dying.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Uses this to effortlessly counterspell Jin Ohtomo in their Elemental Balance duel. Take note that Jin's last elemental charm was boost by 3x it's normal power thanks to him activating a long chain of several Mutual Generations.note
- Enfante Terrible: Following his fight with Jin, his body is destroyed. He later reappears as a child, his distinguishing traits being the large red shades and his use of "washi" pronouns.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He's surprisingly honorable for being such a dastard.
- Expy: His role as an undead ancient onmyouji who is ridiculously hard to defeat brings memories of Yasunori Kato, although he is really based on the historical Douman Ashiya.
- Giggling Villain: Everything seems fun to him, even dying.
- Graceful Loser: When defeated, Douman was willing to answer anything the winner (Jin) asked. He is cut short by an explosion that destroys his body, but later reappears as a child to continue where he left off.
- He Knows Too Much: And that's why Hirata Atsune/Takiko Souma explodes him. Doesn't work.
- Historical-Domain Character: He is based in an ancient real life onmyouji who rivaled Abe no Seimei.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: The real Douman Ashiya is a minor character in the history of Japan compared to Seimei, and some sources even say outright that he was a phony instead a real sorcerer like him, but this incarnation of him is someone to fear and definitely not a phony.
- Lennon Specs: His signature trait are his red round sunglasses, which keeps in all his forms.
- Not Quite Dead: He's actually a ghoul, and can simply take possession of a body when the old one is destroyed.
- Ominous Visual Glitch: The first time he appears, the screen is covered with static.
- Onmyoji: He's capable of the same spells, but he's seems a bit more eclectic.
- Physical God: He is a possible theorized Phase 5 Spiritual Disaster called an "Ara Mitama" note , but he has been able keep his human ego by suppressed his consciousness at Phase 3 by utilizing human corpses as vessels.
- Really 700 Years Old: Since he's the real life historical Douman Ashiya he'd actually be around 1000 years old!
- Rasputinian Death: Beaten by Jin Ohtomo, partially exorcised by a large ritual, thrown off a building into a car, struck by a Sword Beam from Zenjirou Kogure and is caught in an explosion from a bomb planted by Hirata/Takiko Souma. Subverted twice in that he survives due to his undead state.
- The Rival: To Abe no Seimei from ancient times. This rivalry runs so deep that when confronted by a worthy foe like Jin, he can't help but reminisce about it.
- Sunglasses at Night: Often wears sunglasses even at night.
- Wild Card: We were lead to believe that he worked in tandem with the Twin Horned Syndicate to spread natural disasters. In reality, he's on nobody's side but his own as the only thing he really cares about anymore is sorcery. His attack on Onmyo Academy is just a request from his disciple to retrieve the Raven's Wing, and he couldn't care less about it.
- Worthy Opponent: To Jin Ohtomo after his defeat.
- Youkai: He ceased being human eons ago due to his obsession with magic and became a mobile disasternote classified as a Type-Ogre.
A "spirit fox" with the appearance of a young girl, who has served Harutora's family as a shikigami for generations. She is loyal and eager to please, occasionally too much so. Her real name is Hishamaru, one of the two servants of Yakou.
- Badass Adorable: An adorable spirit fox loli that is capable of kicking ass nonetheless.
- Berserk Button: Just try to insult or threaten Harutora.
- Bodyguard Crush: Towards Harutora.
- Childhood Friend: She used to serve Yakou alongside Kaguyouki, and personally knew him for generations.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Doesn't like it one bit when the other girls are making passing flirts at Harutora. This is because her past self (Hishamaru) is returning the favor to Yakou as Kon to Harutora (the reincarnation).
- Contralto of Danger: When Harutora is badly injured by Reiji while trying to protect Kon, she gradually picks up her master's mana to revert into her true form, Hishamaru. As a result, her voice deepens, and she's able to fire an attack that destroys Reiji's protective barrier.
- Cute and Psycho: Adorkable most of the time, but if anyone insults her master she reaches for her knife.
- Cute Little Fangs: Sports those since she is a spirit fox after all.
- Energy Bow: She can form and fire an energy bow after regaining her true form.
- Familiar: Is the shikigami of Harutora.
- Invisibility: She can de-materialize herself in order to minimize the strain on Harutora's spiritual power.
- Kitsune: A spirit fox.
- Knife Nut: Uses a knife in combat.
- Little Bit Beastly: Has a pair of canine ears and a large fluffy tail, further enhancing her motif as a kitsune.
- Meaningful Name: Her true identity's name, Hishamaru, means "Rook Circle" or alternatively "Precious Knight".
- Playing with Fire: Her basic spells are punctuated with blue fire.
- Power Limiter: Her tiny appearance is attributed to Harutora's poor distribution of spiritual power. Once he starts regaining memories from his past life as Yakou, Kon allows herself to take part of his mana to revert to her true form, Hishamaru.
- Really 700 Years Old: Being a spirit fox, she's ageless. She's actually Hishamaru, one of Yakou's two powerful familiars.
- Token Mini-Moe: Being a spirit fox, she looks and acts like a child in every single way. Hishamaru, on the other hand, is one of the most mature women.
One of the two of Yakou's most powerful and distinguished familiars from World War II. His former identity is that of infamous and legendary mythological Ogre from the Heian era known as Ibaraki Doji.
- An Arm and a Leg: He's missing his left arm, a trait that is always present regardless of his appearance and is attributed to his legend as Ibaraki Doji.
- Badass: He gets through Douman's magic barrier with no effort, and easily blocks Shaver's blade with his hand.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Wears a businessman outfit and looks cool with it during the few times he shows up for action.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Harutora from Shaver in their second encounter.
- Meaningful Name: Kakugyouki means "Bishop Demon".
- Poor Communication Kills: Had he properly explained to Natsume Harutora's situation with the Raven Coat, she wouldn't have had to sacrifice her life to save him.
- Public Domain Character: Ibaraki-douji.
- Tsundere: Called a male-version tsundere for his master Yakou in the LN.
- Really 700 Years Old: Like Douman he's a famous figure from a the same ancient bygone era.
- Bokukko: Uses "boku" when referring to herself, adding to her tomboyish personality.
- Disappears into Light: Since she is a shikigami/familiar, Hokuto's physical body vanishes into specks of light, with only the base paper remaining.
- Expy: To Hokuto Sumeragi, in name, personality and (somewhat) role.
- Familiar: Is actually a shikigami, and one of Harutora's objectives is to find the master, who was skilled enough to conceal Hokuto's nature as a shikigami. Turns out it's Natsume.
- Flower Motifs: Sunflowers. When Natsume asks Harutora out again, the camera focuses in on sunflowers as well.
- The Lost Lenore: Her death is what causes Harutora to become an Onmyouji so he can find the original owner, which is Natsume.
- Killed Off for Real: She is pierced by one of Suzuka's familiars near the beginning of the series.
- One Name Only: She's only known as "Hokuto", similar to Natsume's dragon familiar. It's the first clue that Natsume is the one who named her.
Shaverpsychotic shikigami. He's identity is actually that of a legendary sword called "Higekiri' (translated as "Razor" in English) which has taken the form of spirit being. Though not named directly he was sword used in the Heian era story Watanabe no Tsuna where one of most famous myths involved a battle with Ibaraki Doji, to which the later had his arm cut off.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: The person here is actually a manifestation of the blade, which might be a reference to the memory of the blade's previous owner.
- The Blade Always Lands Pointy End In: Has a knack for always doing this when defeated.
- Blood Knight: His personality is enough for him to be considered a threat to anything in his way.
- Climax Boss: His fight against Harutora allows the latter to properly channel his latent spiritual power and awareness, easily defeating Shaver in the process.
- Cool Sword: Technically, he is the sword.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Which is justified, since it is not an actual person.
- Say My Name: To Kakugyoki, calling him Ibaraki Doji.