Characters: Sandra and Woo
This page is still under construction and Needs Wiki Magic Love.
open/close all folders
The protagonist of the series. Sandra is a typical middle school girl with a pet talking raccoon. She does have a bit of an egotistical side; she likes dressing up as "The Empress of Northia" and addressing her stuffed animal "subjects".
- Affectionate Nickname: Sandy.
- Bad Liar: Averted. She's a surprisingly good one. She also can do it with minimal preparation.
- Betty and Veronica: For Cloud, the Betty to Larisa's Veronica. Cloud chooses Sandra.
- Berserk Button: Coming off as a threat to Sandra's relationship with Cloud is unwise.
- Beware the Nice Ones: When the "hand of god" replaces Woo with Tom the talking toast, Sandra first eats the toast. Then she makes the hand an offer it cannot refuse.
- A Boy and His X: A girl and her raccoon.
- Character Blog: Sandra has a YouTube channel, also going by her alter ego Sandy the Third, empress and supreme ruler of Northia, there. It has not even been logged on since 2010, though.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A mild example, but Larisa really shouldn't flirt with Cloud while she's around.
- Covert Pervert: Yes, Cloud, girls have naughty thoughts too.
- She also finds Cloud sexy when he is forced to crossdress.
- Granola Girl: Mild example, she considers herself a conservationist.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Missing Mom
- Outdoorsy Gal: Not so much after she started to hit puberty.
- Spammer: Spams Cloud's mail account for scaring Woo into lossing control of his bladder while sitting on her lap.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
Sandra's pet raccoon. Sandra rescued him from an abusive owner, and he's lived with her since. He seems to divide his time between living with Sandra and exploring the woods with his animal friends.
- Carnivore Confusion: Both averted and played straight. Woo is friendly with Shadow, a fox, and Sid, a squirrel. They regularly try to eat each other, but as the tagline says, fail. This doesn't stop Woo and Shadow from eating other woodland creatures, successfully.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Happily Married: Well, not exactly "married", but he's certainly found a perfect mate in Lily.
- Intellectual Animal: Woo is no slouch intellectually. He can speak to humans and attempted subliminal cookie acquisition. His spelling skills do need some work, though this may be a Shout-Out to Hobbes, who has a similar problem.
- Motivational Lie: As he learned from Sandra, "The outcome justifies even the biggest lie".
- Rascally Raccoon: To quote writer Oliver Knorzler's own description: "He will break your heart with a smile and then, while you are looking away for a second, raid your fridge." A classic example of Woo's modus operandi can be seen here.
- Superpowered Alter Ego: Apparently, Woo has a dangerous "expert mode".
- Talking Animal: Though all the animals talk to each other, Woo is the only one specifically shown as talking to humans.
- This Is My Human: And he'll find her.
Sandra's best friend and later boyfriend. Though he seems nonthreatening and sweet tempered, he's actually much stronger than his outward appearance would have you believe.
- Adorkable: Big time. He can still kick your ass if you make him mad.
- Anime Hair: Cloud has an Idiot Hair and this...
- Badass Adorable: He's one of the cutest boys, yet he can use a plastic knife as a weapon.
- Betty and Veronica: Sandra and Larisa, respectively, with Cloud as Archie. He chooses Sandra.
- Bully Hunter: After this moment, the only problem at school is Larisa.
- Bullying a Dragon: Ralph the bully makes this mistake with Cloud. In fairness, Cloud doesn't look particularly threatening.
- Chick Magnet: He's a 10 in the girls' ranking.
- Crush Blush: Not as much as Landon, but still.
- Cute Bruiser
- Implausible Fencing Powers: See Bullying a Dragon above, he can slash you with a PLASTIC KNIFE.
- Look at his mom and say his skills don't make sense.
- He also takes on a bunch of Heartless armed only with a wooden sword.
- Look at his mom and say his skills don't make sense.
- Master Swordsman: He's able to keep up with Sir Elgamore!
One of Sandra's best friends, Larisa has a strong mischievous streak. She likes to tease Sandra, flirt with Cloud, and generally cause trouble. However, there are hints of a darker side to her personality.
- Affectionate Nickname: Sandra calls her Liz.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Sandra's Betty.
- Be Yourself: Hilariously subverted. Sandra, being Liz's friend, gives her the wise advice of not being herself when in front of Landon's mom.
- Bi the Way: Tells everyone in her class, in the form of a report, that the reason she doesn't kiss girls is because of the unavailability of willing partners.
- When she finds out Zoey likes girls, Larisa isn't shocked until Zoey says she has no interest in guys.
- She also asks a girl from her annual fire workshop, if she's single, after she lit a fire faster than her.
- Braids of Action: A single, characteristic braid.
- The Bully: To Zoey. Her appearances usually involve having Larisa doing something nasty to her. To put this into perspective, we haven't seen Zoey do anything to her at all, and she's often depicted as a Jerk Ass.
- Larisa herself denies the accusation, see Disproportionate Retribution.
- Cute and Psycho: A very pretty, even hot, girl that just happens to find causing random mayhem fun.
- Cute but Troubled
- Disproportionate Retribution: Debatable. Force fed Zoey her French homework in retaliation for calling Sandra names behind her back. They both agree that maybe they should both back off a bit.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: She's considered for the boys a 10 in attractiveness, and could remain as 10 if it wasn't for her craziness giving her a -1. She's even recognized as the prettiest girl in her school in the 721 strip.
- Fille Fatale: Larisa likes to dress sexy to appeal to boys, has already smooched with around a dozen of them and doesn't mind being called a bad example for this sort of behavior... She's also digging more conservative family values, though.
- She was a bit annoyed about being called a slut. Sorta.
- Flirty girl. Leading to this gem by a commenter.The New Larisa 500:
0 to Flirtatious in two seconds flat!
- First Name Basis: She calls her parents by their names, showing how little she considers them an authority over her.
- Flight: She can defy gravity for the hell of it. Without explanation, how.
- Give Geeks a Chance: Larisa starts going out with Landon after he helps her get a B- on a math quiz.
- Good Bad Girl: Saying that she's a wild girl is a bit of an understatement; Larisa has smooched half the boy's populace in school, flirts with men older than her and her own mother has given up trying to control her and is only concerned about her daughter's virginity being intact. But whenever needed, her heart is always in the right place and is currently in a healthy and stable relationship with Landon and has reconciled with her enemy.
- Heteronormative Crusader: Zigzagged; she tells to Zoey that she's completely ok with lesbians (of course, in the pragmatic way of "less competition for hot guys"). Gay guys, on the other hand, are fair game (because it means she can't have them and they add to the competition).
- Hidden Buxom: Judging by this panel, she has quite the knockers for her young age.
- Hidden Depths: Larisa asks deep questions, though she hardly seems stupid.
- Ill Girl: Larisa is diabetic, suffers from allergies, and has some other medical condition she hasn't told her friends about, which may explain her Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour.
- And now her condition has been precisely diagnosed as Wolfram Syndrome, which will blind her within ten years and kill her in twenty.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Larisa may be kinda of a jerk, but she cares for those she loves. Additionally, despite not liking Zoey, she worries for her when she sees her crying. As well as being quite outraged that Zoey thinks Larisa bullies her.
- Like You Were Dying: Larisa's antics get more disturbing as the reader gets more hints about her condition.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: To Landon. He was rather invisible and stuck in the mud until they started dating and she does shake his world.
- Mistaken for Junkie: Larisa, who is diabetic, is caught by a teacher when giving herself an insulin shot during recess. She's then sent to the principal who informs her that taking this "dangerous drug" violates the school's zero tolerance policy against drugs. The plot was inspired by a similar incident on a U.S. middle school in the 1990s. Start reading here.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Granted, Landon's mother overreacts to everything, but Larisa slipping into her Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour definitely put her on Landon's mother's bad side.
- Pyromaniac: She really likes to set things on fire. She even has a annual seminar with her friends to instruct them on fire related activities and when trying to act as her own opposite, she proclaims a love for ice.
- Rubber Girl: Extends her mouth, so that her lips reach Landon's house and she can kiss him despite being grounded.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She has no problem with the fact that she accidentally sent a nude pic to over 60 million people. There is a reason for this.Larisa: Iíll be blind in ten years and dead in twenty. I donít give a damn if some puritans have a problem with my naked body.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Her crush on Cloud and her relationship with Landon. Notice that her affections for the latter come about because he was the only one kind enough to actually help her (as opposed every other boy - except Cloud - who just lusts after her but is unwilling to help her), rather than simply because he help her got a good grade - i.e. he treated her like an actual PERSON rather than just a hot babe.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour:
- Larisa carries a lighter just to set random fires, jokes about being a "junkie" when she injects insulin, accuses a teacher of molesting her to get out of a homework assignment (and has to be warned against molesting her guide on the camping trip), and flirts with the boys at an... adult level. Apparently, all the girls have been warned about her. Suggestions that she's got bigger problems than diabetes put this in a more disturbing light.
- "You're still a virgin, right?" And remember. This is her mother.
- True Art Is Incomprehensible : She spouts explanations of a painting in the museum -- all contradictory.
- Alternatively, a subversion: Her "Larisa Presents" strips seem to suggest she's making fun of modern artists and their attempts at being "clever" and "inventive," and seems to take great pleasure in seeing art patrons buy into the BS she makes up on the fly about paintings - however, she loves Van Gogh's Starry Night for its simple beauty.
Landon HillLarisa's new boyfriend, whose advent does much to break up Larisa's flirting with Cloud's habit.
- A Day in the Limelight: Landon gets an arc focused on issues related to his relationship with Larisa and his mother disapproving it.
- Adorkable: He's a nerdy, sweet guy who does everything he can to make his girlfriend happy.
- Crush Blush: Unsurprising, given Larisa's forthright manner.
- Dating What Mommy Hates: Landon's mother is very against his relation with Larisa, since Harriet is a very strict and religious person. After Larisa's visit, she's convinced the girl is actually a witch and just lets them date to keep Landon from becoming gay and as long as Larisa remains away from her. Ironically, Landon's dad seems OK with her.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has his moments.Call me a naysayer, but I don't think it's possible to learn geometry through osmosis with a math book.
- Heroic BSOD: The guy literally has one when Larisa said that she would be ready in 10 seconds for them to take their relationship to the next level.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Larisa certainly thinks so.
- Promoted to Love Interest: He was just a background character until he helped Larisa studing for an important test when no one else did. Larisa started to date him afterwards.
- Promoted To Opening Credits: Still not as prominent as Sandra, Larisa, and Cloud, but is the most-shown child after those three.
- Satellite Love Interest: Rare Male Example. We still don't get a strip showing Landon without Larisa and/or in a situation that doesn't involve her.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: The savvy guy to Larisa (over)energetic girl.
- Uptight Loves Wild: Kinda of an inversion as it was Larisa who started the relationship, but still applies.
Zoey IrwinOne of Sandra's classmates and Larisa's enemy. Best friends with Michelle, who she is later shown to be in love with.
- A Day in the Limelight: Zoey has her own arc now, where she deals with her lesbian issues, starting here
- Alpha Bitch: She is stated as being one of the more popular girls in class as well as shown insulting Sandra on a couple occasions.
- Butt Monkey: Tends to be at the receiving end of Larisa's pranks.
- Coming-Out Story: Her Day in the Limelight revolves around dealing with her unrequited crush, her heart getting broken and she admitting she's a lesbian (and not bi).
- Deadpan Snarker: Even when depressed she can still keep up the snark.
- Forceful Kiss: Gives one to Michelle thinking that she would reciprocate her feelings. She didn't.
- Incompatible Orientation: Has a crush on Michelle, her best friend, who has a crush on Cloud.
- Unrequited Love: Finds out the hard way that Michelle has no interest in her and that she is disgusted by gay people.
- Kick the Dog:Middle school girls: The only known species that always tortures its prey before devouring it.
- Those Two Girls: Up until she and Michelle got more focus, they were just background characters that always appeared together.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Admittedly she considered Larisa a bully, so she never felt the need to show her or Sandra kindness but after agreeing to a truce with Larisa she has become a kinder person... to the audience.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Even Larisa can tell something's wrong here.
- Schoolgirl Lesbian: Much to Larisa's shock.
- Secret Keeper: She is the only one Larisa has told her secret medical condition to, in exchange for Zoey telling her about her sexuality.
MichelleOne of Sandra's classmates. She has a huge crush on Cloud, which generally shows itself as jealousy. Best friends with Zoey.
- Ascended Extra: Thanks to Zoey's A Day In The Lime Light as well as more focus over all, Michelle to has received more focus.
- Alpha Bitch: Like Zoey, she is a popular girl whose majority of appearances are of her insulting Sandra or Larisa.
- Closet Key: To Zoey.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She is incredibly jealous of Sandra's relationship with Cloud.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While pretty much all of her appearances have been of her insulting Sandra or Larisa, she tries to help Larisa and Landon's relationship.
- Those Two Girls: Its not often that she wont be seen with Zoey at her side.
- Unrequited Love: To say she has no chance with Cloud is something of an understatement.
Yuna WilliamsCloud's younger sister. An adorable, smart, but annoying kid.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Cloud, teasing him about his relationship with Sandra (like the rest of his family), taking his things without warning, etc.
- Child Prodigy: Yuna is capable of making a home-made nuclear reactor and understand interuniversal TeichmŁller theory. She's also a little math genius, and her parents tried to get her a personal tutor.
- Ditzy Genius: While she loves her math, science and physics theory and is very able to put them in practice, she's not very good with mental arithmetics, needing to write her numbers down (thing that cost her a tutor). She also lacks the common sense and tact to realize that her mother's teaching on "self-defense" are way too extreme for her age and peaceful society and she didn't knew that "motherfucker" was a highly crude word.
- Genius Bruiser: Able to hold her own in hand-to-hand combat and a little genius.
- Little Miss Badass: Just like her brother, her mother has being training her. Unlike Cloud, there's very few moments when Yuna is being badass.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She looks like a mini Ye Thuza, and sometimes behaves like her.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior:
- Yuna's way of playing with dolls is recreating a story where the Disney Princesses had enough of Merida and plot her murder. And then finish it with a song!
- She also scares the crap out of anyone that gets in her way, even her teachers, who are convinced that she will become a supervillain "able to put all James Bond's villains to shame".
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She tends to ask the most surprising questions. She's also incredibly smart for her age, to the point she feel normal school holds her down.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Uses guerrilla knowledge in a pacific Slice of Life.
Sandra's fatherA single father raising Sandra since his wife died two years prior to the series. His real name is Richard North.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Normally a very kind father, but after hearing Woo's previous owner abuse him, he locks him in the raccoon cage.
- One of the Kids: A huge videogame addict.
Cloud's parentsBoth huge nerds, even going so far as naming their children after Final Fantasy characters. Cloud's mother is a former Burmese rebel. Their names are David and Ye Thuza Williams.
- Adorkable: Fork shield!
- Action Mom: Cloud's mom Ye Thuza is not only a loving mother and housewife, but also an urban ninja who single handily nails a tonberry (a dangerous monster in the Final Fantasy series) to a concrete wall with a wooden staff. Not to mention she's also a former Child Soldier.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: The best kind. Also see Shipper on Deck.
- Child Soldier: Cloud's mom was a Burmese guerrilla fighter in her teens, making her literally a Former Teen Rebel.
- Happily Married
- Manchild: In one strip, David was horrified that he was getting old (he liked vegetables better than the dessert!). Ye Thuza calms him down saying he was still too immature to be considered an adult yet. He's relieved.
- Open-Minded Parent: Cloud's mother seems to have no problem with having her son explore abandoned factories for treasure, unless he forgets to pack the rope. Of course, these are the same parents that sign him up for sword training.
- Retired Badass: Ye Thuza.
- Shipper on Deck: Cloud's mother and sister, much to Cloud's annoyance. (And yes, that is him hanging a lampshade on it.)
- Team Normal: David is the only normal member of this Badass Family.
Larisa's MomLarisa's much put upon mother. Her real name is Jelena Korolev.
- Parental Neglect: Mild example, Larisa's behavior has driven her to the point where she doesn't care as long as Larisa's still a virgin.
Larisa's DadA painter of works Larisa finds very depressing. His first name is Ivan Korolev.
SidWoo's squirrel friend. Has to occasionally avoid being eaten by Shadow and Woo.
- The Chew Toy: Winter is not a very good season for him with tons of hungry predators around.
- Misplaced Wildlife: He is a Eurasian red squirrel living in North America, because his pregnant mother fell into a tourist's suitcase in France.
- Odd Friendship: Him and Shadow were practically raised together as they were under the same animal saver's care.
- Talking Animal
- Every Proper Lady Should Curtsy: Specially in front of a racoon celebrity.
- Mama Bear: HAH! Lily's overprotectiveness on her new born kits puts mama bears to shame. She shotgun threatens Woo to stay away from them and won't let him see the kits until they're three and a half years old (aka adults) and btw, Woo is the kits' father.
- Not Good With Humans: As she's scared of them hunting her or smacking her neck with one hand.
- Relationship Upgrade: She and Woo were in a Friends with Benefits sorta of relationship; it was after Woo saved her life that she decided on both being a monogamous Official Couple.
- Satellite Love Interest: She's normally seen with Woo. Recent strips are subverting this as she's meeting more of Woo's friends, like Sid and Sandra, though with the latter she was some problems.
- Talking Animal
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: She give a nasty glare at Butterfly for daring to hint Woo is a liar.
ButterflyA racoon celebrity, famous for being able to climb higher than any other racoon.
- Crushing Handshake: Gives one to Woo, not out of aggression but because she Does Not Know Her Own Strength.
- Performance Anxiety: "21 hours, 17 minutes and 14 seconds before I fall to my death...
- You Need to Get Laid: The raccoon goddess suggest her to look for a new goal after Butterfly climbed the most difficult mountain in the world, finishing her 'to do' list. She was meaning Butterfly founding a mate and having babies. Amusingly, Butterfly doesn't get it and starts planning more difficult and awesome challenges.
- Until The Stinger on the arc hinted that the goddess had arranged it anyway, but much more surreptitiously.
Dorothy CambridgeA "moral police" member who becomes the biology teacher in Sandra's school.
- Expy: To Dolores Umbridge, naturally.
- Does Not Like Men: Cloud describes her as a men-hater while talking with his mother.
- Henpecked Husband: Variation. Her husband is supportive to her hardcore feminism and he's seems to have no problem with her being the one wearing the pants in the relationship. He even asks her if he can make her a sandwich.
- Killed Off for Real: May be the case, though she just disappeared with a "Puff".
- Straw Feminist: In her introduction, she takes over the former biology teacher (who's dragged off the classroom by two female masked thugs) for teaching women are statistically less smart than men; she then proceeds to shut close all men' bathrooms while calling females the "better sex", give extra points to girls, despite boys' answer being the very same and forcing the boys to wear skirts as uniforms, all while preaching about gender equality with actions that clearly favorite the girls. In her last appearance, she goes as far as to state that gender equality can only be achieved by castrating all men.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: She just disappeared after going into a room. Puff. She has never been mentioned or acknowledged since then.
Luna HerreraOne of Sandra's classmates, who just came from Camden, New Jersey after some troubles with local folks.
- A Friend in Need: Her classmates donated their own old furniture for her empty apparment and collected enough money for her bills for a while. Larisa even sold her precious flamethrower. One of them agrees to give her leftovers of his family's butchery and another gave her dresses she made with her tailoress aunt. She's brought to tears at all the kindness.
- Book Dumb: She's not very good at factorizing. How bad she is? She get to traumatize her former teacher and after some help and 20 terms, Sandra just got one nervious breakdown.
- The Caretaker: She looks after her dad now that he fell into a deep depression after a robbery and his wife's murder.
- Limited Wardrobe: She doesn't have that much clothes and gets chewed by Zoey as a result.
- Missing Mom: Her mom was killed by a crackhead.
- The Pollyanna: Despite coming from a city where murder is considered a cause of natural death, she thinks of the place as "not so bad" and has managed to stay strong in her situation.
- My God, You Are Serious: Larisa doesn't appreciate Luna didn't take her seminar seriously.
- Shrinking Violet
- Tears of Joy: Our 666th strip is about a shy girl trying on dresses and crying tears of joy.
Melody CrawfordOne of Richard North's new coworkers, and head of the graphics programming department. She and him seem to disagree on just about everything, particularly when it comes to the esoterica of computer science.
- Anything But That!/ Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: In order to go after Richard, she changes the indent style on all of his code. He doesn't take it well.Jack: I can provide an alibi for you on Saturday from 4 P.M. to 6 P.M.Richard: [while sharpening an axe] I always knew I could count on you when it really mattered, Jack.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Seems to be going this way with Richard, although given how little attraction there is between the two, it may be plain old belligerence.
- It got bad enough that they were brought into mediation, and drove the mediator to drink.
- And then Richard invites her to dinner...
- Cloud Cuckoolander: She leaps on the table during the mediation session in order to throw further childish taunts to Richard.
- Cute and Psycho: She's a nice girl who likes to write code for open projects, cooks fancy three course meals and sexually identifies herself as a praying mantis who devours her lovers' heads after intercourse while flashing a pair of gardering scissors. Then it's implied she might actually be a serial killer.Richard: (thinking while looking clearly dissapointed) There's always something.
- Hollywood Nerd: Not as extreme as some examples, but she's definitely not bad looking.
- Nerd: In her first introduction to her, she's wearing a t-shirt that references the P versus NP problem.
- She actually goes so far as to refer to Richard as a "filthy casual."
- Nerd Glasses: A part of her Hollywood Nerd getup.
- Rich Boredom: She won two million dollars from lottery, but quickly grew bored and started to seek a job or getting hobbies for the sake of doing something.
- Volleying Insults: It's easier to count the things she does agree with Richard on.