This is the page for Campione
Godou KusanagiThe Protagonist
. Formerly an Ordinary High-School Student
(besides a stint at a junior high baseball team that ended with a Game-Breaking Injury
), he became caught up in the world of magic and gods
when he unintentionally became the seventh and latest Campione, as well as the youngest at age sixteen. He now struggles to maintain his ordinary life while being surrounded by scheming magicians, belligerent gods, and the various girls vying for his attention.
- The Ace: He'd never admit it but he was one of the best baseball players before the start of the series and in fact had been chosen to represent Japan before his injury.
- Badass: Unintentional or otherwise, you can't exactly kill a god and not be a Badass.
- Badass Unintentional: How he became the seventh (and youngest) Campione in the first place. He was just trying to stop a fight!
- Berserk Button: Don't hurt girls, threaten girls, much less make a vaguely hostile motion towards them within his reach. Just don't.
- The Bet: He made a bet with Liliana that Hikari, Yuri's younger sister, will not fall in love with him. As expected, he lost.
- The Casanova: He becomes this in Youth Form. The normally dominant Erica notes she can't really deal with him in this state.
- Celibate Hero: Unique case. He is very happy to receive Erica's affection such as when she ask him to travel with her during the summer but there was a catch. He definitely could not agree with her wishes as promptly as this. If he did, it would end up being a progression of travel—wedding—pregnancy—child-rearing, and by the latter half of his twenties, the majority of his (natural human life span) life would be semi-automatically decided just like that—something as scary as that could happen. Thus, Godou felt that he must never ever lower his guard and resist with all his might when he is around her.
Godou: Even if it was just a verbal marriage proposal, from that moment onwards, my life would have been deemed a called gamenote ! Even a playoff would be impossible.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Just to drive the point home, he attracts the attention of two Campiones (as a Cool Big Sis for Luo Hao and John Pluto Smith aka Annie Charlton who berates herself that she got attracted to a kid ten years younger than her.) Later Madam Aisha, the last Campione to be introduced, joins the list.
- Combat Pragmatist: Although he claims not to enjoy fighting, when he does fight, he does so to win. While he doesn't fight outright dirty, he's not above doing such tricks as fooling his enemies into charging up their most powerful attack, then subduing them before they can use it.
- Combined Energy Attack: Verethragna's ninth incarnation, the Goat, grants Godou the ability to manipulate lightning. Its power is fueled by his allies' will, but also their Life Energy, willing or otherwise, something he learned to his great distress after being told that his use of this ability for the first time caused everyone within a kilometer of Tokyo Tower to fall unconscious.
- Combo Platter Powers: Verethragna sure is generous where Godou's skill set is concerned.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Some of his powers can hurt or cripple him after use. Specifically, the Raptor leaves him with intense heart strain, the Goat sucks up the life force of others, and the Ram kills him before bringing him back.
- Deadpan Snarker: This is how he interacts with Erica because her clinging and manipulation irritate him.
- Destructive Savior: If there's anything of historical significance in the vicinity of one of his battles, chances are that it will end up as collateral damage. Often causes him some distress upon realizing just how much destruction he's accidentally brought about.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: One of the reasons why he didn't play Baseball after his Game-Breaking Injury healed is that he didn't want to accidentally use his super power during the game. Also played straight in vol 8 during time when he tried to cast a spell to break matchsticks, except he broke a tree instead of the target matchsticks.
- Empowered Badass Normal: He went from a dude with a stone tablet to winning the Superpower Lottery.
- Fatal Flaw: Refusing knowledge about his enemy, which is the condition for use of the Golden Sword, because it involves oral contact. Given the Japanese view on intimacy, this could be understandable, but when he's fighting individuals who are out for his blood, and that he can only resurrect once a day, it borders into Idiot Ball territory at times.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Too bad for him, fate seems to interfere every single time. A Campione cannot live a quiet life.
- Indy Ploy: Godou rarely plans too many steps ahead in a battle, often improvising to adapt to shifting circumstances. It is all but stated in the novels that his ability to to make split-second judgments to secure victory is one of reasons he became a Campione in the first place.
- Necessary Drawback: His "Persian Warlord" Authority effectively grants him ten powers for the price of one, but he can only use each one once per day and only after certain conditions have been met.
- Nice Guy: It's regularly stated that he's 'not like other campione' because he'd rather be friends with people than fight gods or lord over mortals.
- Oblivious to Love
Liliana: To have so many girls distressed over you, and yet you remain completely unaware... You were born with a lady-killer's disposition. I, Liliana Kranjcar am impressed from the bottom of my heart. Kusanagi Godou, you are like a sleepwalking serial murderer, a rare and unaware lady-killer!
- Superpower Lottery: On top of the fact that he has the 10 Commandments of Verethragna, one of those commandments, the Golden Sword, allows him to literally talk gods to death.
An Italian magician who was with Godou when he became a Campione. She fell in love with him, and decided to help him become a great king... whether he wants to or not. Though manipulative at times, she truly loves Godou, and ultimately everything she does is for his sake.
- The Ace: She is a great swordswoman, and excellent magician, and can talk her way into and out of almost any situation with her eyes closed.
- Berserk Button: Don't hurt Godou, or attempt to separate her from him. She won't take it well.
- Character Development: As seen in Volume 3 of the light novels and Episode 1 of the anime, she started out as a Type A Tsundere. By the events of Volume 1 and Episode 2, she has fully made the transition to Type B, thus setting a record for one of the quickest Tsundere cycles in history. A Justified Trope; in the intervening time, Godou saves her from a fall of about five stories, saves her again from divine lightning, demonstrates courage and tactical intelligence, defeats a god, becomes a king, and stops a divine brawl that was about to destroy her home island. These are all pretty good reasons to stop treating someone like crap.
- Childhood Friends: With Liliana, hence their long time knightly rivalry.
- Cool Sword/Morph Weapon: Cuore di Leone. It can cut gods, turn into a lion, multiply, and even fight on its own.
- Femme Fatale: A rare example that gets to be the main Love Interest. More sympathetic than the average example, since while she does try to seduce and manipulate Godou, she truly loves him and ultimately everything she does is for his sake.
- Even the Girls Want Her: At school, she has a lot of female fans who are jealous of Godou.
- Godiva Hair: One instance of her waking up naked has her hair covering her chest.
- Guile Heroine: She's more likely to win by cleverness than by force because she's a mortal magician against gods and campione.
- Harem Seeker: Initially by pressuring both Godou and Yuri into a relationship, because she thinks the latter's abilities would be useful. Averted when Ena appears, because unlike Liliiana and Yuri, Ena is beyond her control. She also starts to regret her actions later on as Yuri and Liliana start to break her influence.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: Her first words to Yuri bring us this priceless declaration:
"If you're thinking of continuing to bully my Godou, can I please ask you to stop? The only person that can love him, torment him, or treat him like a toy, is me, the Diavolo Rosso. That is a right given only to me, he isn't someone who you can play around with when you feel like it, you know?"
- Lady in Red: Frequently wears a red dress and she is the most flirtatious of the heroines.
- Magic Knight: One of the best in her organization.
- Ojou: She's Italian nobility and has a maid to drive her from place to place.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: She can't fight on the same level as gods and Campione, relegating her to support in those fights.
- The Red Baron: Hold the title of Diavolo Rosso, literally "Red Devil".
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: She's well-informed in most situations, but mostly clueless about Japanese culture. An example of this is when she takes Godou to an area filled with love hotels, and has no idea what they are.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Shows absolutely no qualms sleeping naked next to Godou, much to the latter's horror every morning.
- Shipper on Deck: An interesting example. She openly supports a relationship between Yuri and Godou... provided Godou keeps in mind that she is his first woman.
- Tsundere: Part of her Character Development is moving from the abrasive and haughty tsun-tsun to the affectionate and haughty dere-dere.
- Yandere: A minor, temporary example when she realizes Liliana fell for Godou while she wasn't watching.
A Hime-Miko who has had past experiences with Campione; bad ones.
She gets involved with Godou when he accidentally lures Athena
to Japan. She begins to develop feelings for him that solidify once he saves her from the Campione who hurt her in the past.
- Blessed with Suck: Her Spirit Vision is an inborn talent which gives her a chance of automatically acquiring information about any magical entities or phenomena she encounters. In a world where even the best practitioners can usually only activate it 10% of the time, Yuri can easily activate it over 60% of the time. However, this gift is the reason Voban kidnapped her four years prior to the start of the story.
- Curtains Match the Window: Both brown.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her experiences with Voban were... unpleasant. He tried to sacrifice her to summon a god.
- Enemy Scan: Her Spirit Vision lets her do this to Gods and other supernatural entities. It also works on the Authorities of a Campione.
- Fainting Seer: During Volume 2, a vision of Voban causes her to fall unconscious.
- Keigo: Godou is amazed that she can speak formally even when she's angry.
- Made a Slave: She had been Duke Voban's slave four years ago. She briefly becomes his slave again before the others rescue her.
- Miko: A priestess in Japan. She dresses the part and takes care of a local shrine.
- Mission Control: Of the traveling variant. Lacking combat experience, her role is to instead provide Godou information about his current opponent so that he can activate the Sword.
- Spider-Sense: Her Spirit Vision can also work like this; inform her of immediate danger.
- Tsundere: Lampshaded constantly.
- Waif Prophet: Is by far the weakest character in the group in terms of fighting ability, but still gets to contribute using her Spirit Vision. Then she takes a level in Badass and tanks a goddess's chain of attacks with her own ability.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A Japanese priestess and excellent cook who's also the head of the Tea Ceremony Club.
Voiced by: Eri Kitamura
(Japanese), Genevieve Simmons (English)
A Hungarian knight and childhood friend of Erica. Originally working for Voban, she was convinced to switch sides. She becomes an official part of the group after Godou helps her defeat Perseus. She writes erotic love novels, which Erica uses to blackmail her.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Briefly due to Perseus' spell, which lets him control any woman with a mage bloodline to do his bidding.
- Blade on a Stick : Il Maestro's second form takes the shape of a naginata.
- Bow and Sword, in Accord: Her weapons are the sword, Il Maestro, and the Bow of Jonathan.
- Childhood Friends: With Erica, hence their long time knightly rivalry.
- Covert Pervert: If the embarrassing novels she writes are anything to go by, she has a dirty mind.
- Cry Cute: After Godou wakes from a near-fatal encounter with Perseus, at the end of a bad day culminating with Godou discovering her embarrassing erotic novels, and when Athena beats her to giving him a healing kiss after the battle with Perseus.
- Enemy Scan: She possesses the same Spirit Vision powers as Yuri has, albeit orders of magnitude weaker unless she receives assistance from a deity, as she did from Athena in Volume 4.
- Fish out of Water: Tends to be at times where the Japanese culture is concerned.
- Flight: One of her powers as a Witch. Within Campione's setting, this is a remarkable feat.
- Invisibility: One of her spells.
- Lady of War: Unlike Erica, she spares the jokes and posturing for a composed and refined fighting style.
- Made a Slave: She had once been Duke Voban's slave four years ago (Anime only). In the present, she became his slave in all but name when her grandfather ordered her to work for Voban, until the others convince her to defect.
- Magic Knight: Of the same rank as Erica.
- Magic Music: Il Maestro is capable of using songs to influence enemies.
- Subordinate Excuse: Insists that she only wants to serve Godou as his knight and is not in love with him. Somehow, in addition to protecting him, her duties involve preparing his meals, cleaning, mending his clothes and keeping other women away from him.
- The Comically Serious: Her comedy is derived from how serious she tries to be when in embarrassing situations.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Erica. The vitriol is entirely from her side, since Erica is firmly in control in their relationship.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A in her battle outfit.
A later addition to Godou's True Companions
, Ena is another Hime-Miko, though this time a more active combatant, wielding Ame no Murakumo no Tsurugi, an enchanted katana/tsurugi which temporarily grants her demigod-like abilities.
- Badass: Deserves special mention for being stronger than Erica and Liliana combined! until they get their ...special spells working) The Ame no Murakumo essentially puts her outside the human realm and into that of a divine beast.
- Black Swords Are Better: Everyone else has boring steel colored metal ones.
A Greek deity. Though named after the goddess of strategic warfare, she's actually a lesser snake deity associated with Medusa, a chthonic goddess of death. She seeks the Gorgoneion to return to her true form.
- Badass: Even for a god. Both Verethragna (and by extension Godou) and Lancelot are Steel, who should have a huge advantage against a mother earth goddess like her. If it weren't for the Holy Grail she'd have killed them both.
- Depraved Bisexual: She develops feelings for Godou, and strips and molests Liliana at one point.
- Jerkass Gods: She was outright antagonistic when she was first introduced but became more of a Friendly Enemy afterwards.
- Kiss of Death: With a kiss, she can breathe the winds of death directly into someone's body. When she used it on Godou, he stayed dead for about two hours before The Ram revived him.
- Nice Hat: Wears a beanie in her childlike form.
- Non Indicative Name: Her true name and nature is Medusa.
- Purple Eyes: For royalty; she used to be queen of the gods but was overthrown and the myths were rewritten to cast her as a princess instead.
- Razor-Sharp Hand: Destroys Liliana's clothes by running her finger along them, even slashing right through her belt buckle.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her red eyes indicate her villainous nature but it's less of a warning after her introduction
- Sinister Scythe: This is her primary weapon because she's associated with death.
- Sleep Mode Size: Without the Gorgoneion she's as small as Godou's sister.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She's a douche when she first appears but it seems that she has feelings for Godou. She was also adorable when she loses her memory.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Her relationship to Godou, going so far as to advise him to Try Not to Die against Perseus.
Godou is my prey.
- Zettai Ryouki: Has one in her sleep mode size.
Duke Sasha Dejenstahl Voban
The Hungarian Campione who kidnapped Yuri once in the past due to her powers.
- Badass Grandpa:This campione looks pale and withered but he's tremendously powerful due to killing half a dozen gods.
- Blood Knight: The only thing he wants is a good fight.
- Combo Platter Powers:
- Evil Old Folks: Of all the campione, he's the one that looks most like a monster.
- I Gave My Word: If he says you only have to last a given amount of time to win a fight with him, he'll stick to it.
- Living Forever Is Awesome: He's older than the organization that keeps taps on campione and is still having a splendid time.
- No Sell: He ate the Flaming Stalion Godou threw at him and not even the Golden Sword can do more than slow him down because he has so many authorities.
- The Older Immortal: The oldest campione and the only one that looks anything like his real age.
- Superpower Lottery: Justified becaues it was several lotteries.
The Chinese Campione.
- Really 700 Years Old: Two hundred years old but only looks a couple years older than Godou.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Yinghua fears she'll slaughter all of the mages that refer to her Authorities by names that she doesn't approve of if she finds out about them.
The Egyptian Campione.
- Beware the Nice Ones: While she does not enjoy fighting, she has still slayed at least three gods.
- Combo Platter Powers:
- Portal to the Past: Fairy's Corridor.
- Narnia Time: She can spend two years in the past and return two days after she left or spend an few months and return thirty years later than when she left. She actually has some control over this and will skip ahead to make it so she looks younger than her actual age... despite being an immortal Campione who age extremely slowly.
- An Ice Person: If she doesn't watch out, she can cause an ice age. She's not the careful type to begin with.
- Healing Hands: The other side of the Authority that grants An Ice Person, they both come from Persephone.
- Nice Girl: To an even greater extent than Godou, making her the nicest of all the Campiones. She prefers to use her authorities to help people rather than fight.
- Power Incontinence: She has limited ability to control her Fairy's Corridor Authority. Deliberately attempting to activate it rarely works and Aisha cannot control the initial location, though she retains some control over the return journey.
- Vague Age: Was born at least one hundred and fifty years ago but the nature of Fairy's Corridor the exact amount of time she has lived is ambiguous. She claims to be seventeen but Godou doesn't believe her.
John Pluto Smith/Annie Charlton
The American Campione.
- Lunacy: Can fire 6 Artemis Arrows during a lunar cycle.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Firing all six Artemis arrows at once could destroy the state of California and all abilities granted by the metamorphosis authority require destruction of some sort.
The British Campione.
- Adventurer Archaeologist/Phantom Thief: His father had an obsessive goal to find the Holy Grail, when he died Alec took up his journey, it was during this time when he slew the Fallen Angel Ramiel. He later picks up the habit of just taking anything he deems interesting, sometimes leaving a note.
- Badass Bookworm: He knows a lot about Japanese Mythology, and presumably others too.
- Not So Different: He is very similar to Godou in some ways and both of them didn't want to admit it .
- Parental Abandonment: His mother left his father because of his obsessive search for the Holy Grail. His father died when he was 16.
- Red Baron: Black Prince Alec
- Workaholic: Does all the jobs in the Royal Arsenal, including training new recruits.
Lord Salvatore Doni
The Italian Campione and Europe's finest swordsman. He fought Godou in the past and has regarded him as a Worthy Opponent
ever since. He's killed at least four Heretic Gods, Nuadha
and an unknown fourth God. In Volume 4, he delivers the finishing blow to Perseus, but he did not gain any Authorities from it.
Voiced by: Ai Kakuma (Japanese), Meg McDonald (English)
Yukari's younger sister and a Hime-Miko.
- Anti-Magic: Disaster Purification.
- Badass Adorable: Stopping Sun Wukong from moving, while trapped inside his stomach? Yes. Her Anti-Magic can also work to an extent on Campiones and Heretic Gods.
- Cool Sword: When she wielded the magic sword Zanryuuto it combined with her Disaster Purification allowing Sun Wukong to be released.
Luo Hao's apprentice.
- Badass Adorable: He is stated to be able to defeat 5 of the 7 Campiones in unarmed combat, given that these people have killed gods, yes, he is this. The adorable part comes because he is 14 years old.
- In a Single Bound: Is a master of the Daoist spells of movement, which includes Leap.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Picked this up through Luo Hao's treatment of him.
- Living Legend: With time he will grow to become as legendary as King Arthur.
Arianna Hyama Aleardi
Voiced by: Sachika Misawa (Japanese), Juliet Simmons (English)
- Demoted to Extra: Appearing quite often in the Light Novels, to a major secondary character in the Anime, to a one-panel cameo in the manga.
- Drives Like Crazy: A pretty noticeable (and somewhat justified, given the plot of the series) example.
- Hair Decorations: Four hair clips on the front of her head.
- Meido: Erica's maid down to the uniform.
- Stock Footage: An odd example - a shot of her shifting gears from episode one was reused (and recolored) for episode six.
- One-Note Cook: Inverted. She can cook anything but stew.
Another Hime-Miko associated with the History Compilation Committee and allied with Godou. More involved with the organisational side of things and as such doesn't get directly caught up in Godou's schemes.
- Bifauxnen: Wears men's clothes more or less constantly, even dressing as a priest rather than a miko when performing her religious duties.
- The Casanova: Unlike Godou Kaoru is well aware of the reaction she inspires in girls and enjoys it.
- If It's You, It's Okay: She inspires this reaction in the girls she dates when they find out she's actually female.
- One Of The Guys: Many of her interactions with those like Godou and Amakusa. She even manages to get along with confirmed misogynist Lu Yinghua (though its unclear if he knows she's female).
- Two-Timer Date: It's observed that its something of a minor miracle that Kaoru manages to avoid running into the trope.