- Badass Decay: Tokiya in the latter arcs of the manga, giving up his need for Revenge robbed him of several of his competence, notably failing for a trap so obvious that Domon, someone much less intelligent figures out right away. Though you can say Domon WAS being lucky at that time, in which his perverted mind saves him (he accidentally drank on the same spot Marie drank to make it look like 'indirect kiss', only later realizing that it was the only spot undrugged, and it takes a pervert, something that Tokiya is not, to pull that off.), he'd still boast about 'figuring it out himself'.
- Complete Monster:
- Kouran Mori is a hideous millionaire who believes he can do whatever he likes thanks to his wealth, and desires invincibility and immortality in order to enjoy his wealth forever. To this end, Kouran abuses his adopted son, Kurei, having killed Kurei's lover Kurenai, and blackmails him into service with a bomb inside Kourans own wife—Kurei's loving adoptive mother. Kouran runs brutal underground fighting rings that routinely result in horrible deaths, and manipulates fighters into Training from Hell where their loved ones die, while he employs multiple psychotic murderers and uses them to kill innocents. After Kurei loses the tournament, Kouran reveals he created an Opposite-Sex Clone named Renge, after dozens of failed attempts led to tormented clones being either killed, or emotionally abused by Kouran for being "failures", and attempts to detonate the bomb in his own wife, gleefully declaring he will destroy whatever Kurei loves. After achieving immortality, Kouran becomes a Humanoid Abomination whose desires for food and sex have "merged," which he satisfies by raping and eating innocent women by the dozen. Along with continuing to abuse Renge both sexually and emotionally, Kouran ends up devouring her to steal her soul and power, even as she begs for his mercy. In the end, Kouran Mori is a wholly irredeemable beast of a man who lives for nothing save his own whims and pleasure.
- Kaima is the creator of Tendou Jigoku and, much like the aforementioned Kouran Mori, desires immortality to satisfy his one lust in life—killing as many people as possible for fun. It was also revealed that he created evil Madogu, mystical objects that grant special powers; the aforementioned Tendou Jigoku would grant immortality—by using children. When Recca rejected his offer, Kaima took the chance to gloat that he would never give his power to anyone with redeeming qualities like Recca and then proceeded to merge with Kouran Mori, turning them into a monstrous being that satisfies their "lusts" by raping and killing women. To create their own army, Kaima and Mori butcher dozens of innocents, then turn them into their mindless zombie slaves that serve them unquestioningly. Finally, they planned to create a dystopia based on devouring most of humanity, waiting until a few are left to repopulate the Earth, then starting the process all over again for all eternity.
- Mokuren Nagai is a Serial Killer who loves to target women with nothing less than a Slasher Smile and cheerful glee. With his power over plants, Mokuren invents new ways to kill his victims, such as impalement with branches, creating carnivorous plants to devour them or horrible torture. Mokuren convinces his former kid sidekick to let down his guard before trying to devour him with a plant as well. Gradually gaining a seething hatred for Recca after Recca defeats him, Mokuren sinks further into depravity and evil. He develops a relationship with fellow evil teammate Mikoto, only to betray and murder her the moment she's inconvenient to him, coldly saying he never loved her and defeating Recca is all he cares about. Even after his death, the narrator discusses what a monster without honor, morality or humanity he was.
- Cult Classic
- Damsel Scrappy: Yanagi, particularly her anime incarnation.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Apparently, Kurei.
- Epileptic Trees: A popular fan theory about Joker being Nanashi in MÄR.
- Evil Is Sexy: Neon.
- Foe Yay:
- One-sided, but Kamui has a very open, very disturbing crush on Kaoru. Later, Recca, after the guy defeats him.
- Sokakusai with Fuko which starts out as morbidly cute until he reveals he's trapped other girls in his pot madogu, until they agree to fall for him. the fact that we know this is because there are corpses within the jar.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Together with YuYu Hakusho, Flame of Recca is still adored and well remembered by many Filipino 90's kids because it was one of the few animes watched on local television which is before the rise of cable TV and internet.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Recca discovers that he's the last survivor of a ninja clan called "Hokage". Several years later, Naruto rolls around and the title character is obsessed with becoming the leader of his village, whose title is "Hokage".
- Recca's two dragons were named Homura and Madoka... and years later, we get to see Homura and Madoka being the names of two Magical Girls in one of the darkest takes of the genre.
- Jerkass Woobie: Kurei
- Magnificent Bastard: Kurei Mori, The Dragon to Kouran Mori is the string puller behind the events of the first 50+ chapters. Kidnapping Recca's "princess", Yanagi, Kurei baits Recca to his castle. Defeating Recca and the heroes' Team Hokage, Kurei forces them to participate in the lethal combat arena, Ura Butou Satsujin, where the wealthy gamble on the fightsincluding Kurei's adoptive father, the aforementioned Kouran. After witnessing the abilities of Team Hokage, Kurei prepares powerful fighters to challenge them and even uses the heroes to take down the traitorous Genjuro, along with his minions. Having removed all other opposition, Kurei challenges Recca to one-on-one combat and after being defeated, honors his promise not to attack Recca or his friends. Helping the heroes kill Kouran after he betrays Kurei, Kurei proved himself to plan one step ahead of everyone else and always remained a Noble Demon at heart, despite his brutal tendencies.
- Memetic Molester: Oh, Kurei.
- Moral Event Horizon: While in-verse he crosses it, when he gloats on Hisui's death on a crying Fuuko after admitting he staged Hisui's murder of her lover. Out-verse, he crosses it when he kills Kurei's lover and his adopted daughter, Kurenai, just to anger him.
- Mokuren crosses several times (his beating of Recca's teacher's wife, gloating over Yanagi's suffering and backstabbing Kogenai), but finalizes it with his murder of Mikoto, his lover, for proving to be useless.
- Kadotsu crosses it when he admits to slaughtering Team Ku easily.
- Too Cool to Live: Joker.
YMMV / Flame of Recca