I can talk, read, and write...
And surf the net all of the day and all of the night!"
Watch My Chops (also known as Corneil et Bernie and Corneil & Bernie in France and the USA respectively) is an animated television series about Corneil, a highly intelligent dog who can talk, and Bernie, his dimwitted pet-sitter.
Corneil is a hyper-intelligent dog, but has long come to the conclusion that his intelligence is best kept as a secret since he's already livng a very comfortable life as a pampered pet. His plans go awry when his owners hire Bernie as a pet sitter and Corniel ends up talking in front of him. Bernie agrees to keep Corneil's secret since it lands him a comfortable and secure job, and the show chronicles their misadventures, such as with Bernie's personal life or Corneil having Bernie act as a chaffeur/proxy.
Watch My Chops was produced, written and animated by Millimages, a French animation and production studio. The English dub was done at The Sound Company Studios in London. It aired on France 3 in France, on CBBC in the UK, and on Nicktoons in the USA. Only two seasons were initially produced (they were merged as one season in the UK run) with twenty-six episodes each.
The show was Uncanceled in 2014, with the new episodes being created by using Flash animation. While they were dubbed into English, the new episodes have only been shown in France and Australia.
Watch My Chops provides examples of:
- Animated Series
- Animesque: Sweat drops, face faults and limited animation are utilized, though the art style is still unquestionably western.
- Butt-Monkey: Bernie. Not that he doesn't deserve it sometimes, mind you.
- Catchphrase:Corneil: Watch my chops!
- Cats Are Mean:
- In one episode, Corneil's owners take in a stray cat that frames Corneil for it's own misdeed. Some alleycats then attack Corneil and Bernie, while the cat escapes.
- Another episode has a cat picking on Corneil, and the two of them start fighting.
- The Cameo: In Who Said That, when Corneil and Bernie go to the animal shelter, you'll notice the elephant from 64 Zoo Lane and Pablo The Little Red Fox behind them. Both shows were also produced by Milimages.
- Disney Death: Happens to Corneil near the end of the episode "Finders Weepers" where he falls down the stairs (after faking an injury to convince Bernie the watch he found is cursed with bad luck). Thinking he is dead Bernie throws the watch out the window in despair. But afterwards Corneil is revealed to be alive and Bernie couldn't be happier.
- Dogs Are Dumb: Completely averted with Corneil who is highly intelligent.
- Easy Amnesia: One episode has Bernie suffering a head injury and losing his memory, including knowing that Corneil can talk. Corneil tries to help Bernie get his memory back before the latter exposes his secret.
- Idiot Hero: Bernie
- Intellectual Animal: Corneil
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Bernie certainly has his moments of JerkAssishness, but he's not so bad really.
- Name and Name: The original French version is called Corneil et Bernie and the USA version is called Corneil & Bernie.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Corneil (blue), Bernie (red)
- Parental Abandonment: Bernie is being raised by his uncle Rico. The whereabouts of his parents is never mentioned.
- Secret Keeper: Bernie is the only one who knows that Corneil is highly intelligent and able to talk.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man
- Smart Animal, Average Human: The intelligent talking dog Corneil and his Book Dumb but competent dog-sitter Bernie.
- They Would Cut You Up: Referenced when Corneil said to Bernie that he did not want anyone to know his secret for fear of being a laboratory specimen because he can talk.Bernie: Surprise! And I'm gonna play the cassette to John and Beth and then, hello, evening news!Corneil: Ah! And then, hello, animal research lab! Oh, Bernie! You can't!
- Unmoving Plaid
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Bernie, Uncle Rico, and Beth all have blue hair.