Freaktown is Canadian animated series produced by Portfolio Entertainment and created by Peter Ricq (co-creator of League of Super Evil) and Philippe Ivanusic-Vallee. It premiered on Teletoon on June 20, 2016.
The series centers around Ben Bones, a fun-loving but good-natured animated skeleton who lives in the eponymous town, a place where freaks and monsters of all kinds live. However, Freaktown is under control of Princess Boo-Boo of Sweetlandia, who want to make the place all cute and cuddly with the help of Lord Cuddles the Fluffy, teddy bear mayor of Freaktown appointed by Boo-Boo. Unfortunately for the Sweets (but fortunately for the Freaks), Ben is always throwing a wrench into their plans along with his pals Lenny, a dim-witted giant mantis with ever-reliable "buttsilk", and Priscilla, a potion-brewing ghoul able to take her eyes from her sockets.
Needs Wiki Magic.
Freaktown contains examples of:
- Adorable Evil Minions: The fluffy little cloud guards that serve Princess Boo-Boo and Cuddles.
- Babysitting Episode: In "Babysitter Ben", Ben and Lenny take care of Priscilla's niece, but instead dump her off at an "automated babysitter" to goof off. What they don't realize is that the machine is actually part of Cuddles' scheme to sweetify baby Freaks.
- Bad is Good and Good is Bad: Freaks consider words that generally have positive connotations like cute or handsome as insults while words like "gross" and "ugly" are considered compliments.
- Big Bad: Princess Boo-Boo, though Lord Cuddles serves as the antagonist in most episodes since he's Freaktown's mayor.
- Blob Monster: Some of Freaktown's denizens.
- Crapsaccharine World: Sweetlandia may seem like a pretty, pink Sugar Bowl, but at the same time it's ruler is a tyrannical spoiled brat who abuses her subjects and does everything she can to turn Freaktown into her image. Freaktown is an inversion. Despite being populated by monsters and freaks as well as being full of sludge and sewage, it's a slice of Heaven for its denizens.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: "Ben's Bones" where Ben uses one of Priscilla's potions to animate a dead Freaksaurus Rex, which Cuddles takes to do some "renovations" to Freaktown.
- Expository Theme Tune: Every Freak is welcome here in Freaktown! (Freaktown!)...
- Fantastic Racism: The Sweets towards the Freaks, whom they despise for being...well, Freaks. The Freaks tend not to think too highly of the Sweets either, but are less open about it.
- Fly in the Soup: Parodied. In "Date with Danger", Lenny's girlfriend (another mantis trying to eat him) is disposed by falling into a giant's soup bowl. The giant shouts at the waiter about the bug in the soup, thanking him for it.
- Grossout Show: There's a fair bit of it, but to the Freaks, it's all perfectly fine.
- I Ate WHAT?!: The Freaks eat a lot of disgusting food, so this tends to happen a lot with the Sweets.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: "Dare Ya" has a Gingerbread Ghost, a phantom Gingerbread man with the power to turn other beings into furniture, but is harmed by milk. Standard bedsheet ghosts are among the denizens of Freaktown too.
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: Wereshark, a werewolf who is also a shark. He's a pretty nice guy despite his intimidating appearance and Extreme Omnivore tendencies.
- Naked People Are Funny: Take this as a rule of thumb: If the character doesn't wear pants, we'll see their butt at least once every other episode.
- Potty Emergency: "Tinkle, Taylor, Soldier, Spy", where Ben and Lenny have to help Taylor take a leak in a volcano that unicorns must pee in to prevent it from erupting. It Makes As Much Sense In Context.
- Robot Me: "B-1000" sees Cuddles create a robot version of Ben to try replace the real one. Only Lenny falls for it though.
- Spiritual Successor: To Jimmy Two-Shoes. Both are Canadian cartoons from Teletoon focused on the adventures of ¡Three Amigos! and the tyrannical rulers who antagonize them regularly in a town full of monsters.
- Sugar Bowl: Sweetlandia. They plan on turning Freaktown into one, but the Freaks like their icky, ugly home the way it is.
- Take Our Word for It: One episode has Ben and Lenny Breaking the Fourth Wall and telling us that they did an epic stunt "so extreme we don't have the animation budget to show you guys, but trust me, it's good."
- Thermometer Gag: In one episode, Lenny gives a sick Cuddles a thermometer that he claims is "not meant for the mouth".
- Things That Go "Bump" in the Night: Parodied in the episode "Bed Monster" where Ben and Lenny rely on one to get a good night's sleep by scaring them. But when they lend it to Cuddles to help him sleep, he teaches it to do it the Sweet way - bedtime stories and glasses of warm milk, to Ben and Lenny's horror.
- ¡Three Amigos!: Ben, Lenny, and Priscilla.
- Unusual Euphemism: The Sweets (particularly Cuddles) often use "fluff" as a euphemism for "fuck".
- Vague Age: Ben, Lenny, and Priscilla seem to be somewhere between 18 and 22, but they often act like teenagers as well.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Though the simplistic artstyle makes it look more like green goop. Sweets vomit rainbows instead.