Founded in 2002 as 9 Story Entertainment, 9 Story Media Group is a Canadian animation studio turned entertainment and distribution company. Although the majority of their output is animated, they've produced quite a few live-action shows as well.
In 2013, 9 Story acquired the family catalog of CCI Entertainment, which includes Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs, Erky Perky, and Extreme Babysitting. In 2014, the company rebranded to its current name, after media entrepreneur Neil Court and Zelnick Media Capital became equity investigators. In 2015, 9 Story acquired the Irish studio Brown Bag Films, who is known for their work on shows like Doc McStuffins, Henry Hugglemonster, The Octonauts, Peter Rabbit, and others. Two years later, 9 Story rebranded their Toronto studio under the Brown Bag Films banner.
In 2018, 9 Story acquired the New York-based Out of the Blue Enterprises, their partners on Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and Creative Galaxy (and rebranded it to 9 Story USA a few months later), as well as the kids and family library of Breakthrough Entertainment, which includes Captain Flamingo, Jimmy Two-Shoes, Rocket Monkeys, and Max & Shred, among other live-action and animated productions. In-between these acquisitions, the company adopted a new logo to reflect its growing content library. In 2019, 9 Story acquired the Indonesian studio BASE.
Many of 9 Story's productions have aired domestically on Corus Entertainment's kids networks, CBC Television, TVOntario, Knowledge Network, and Family Channel and its siblings. Their content has also been seen in the United States on outlets such as PBS Kids, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Qubo, among many other channels in different countries, as well as streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.
9 Story has produced and/or distributed the following works:
- 3 Amigonauts
- Almost Naked Animals
- Arthur (seasons 16 to 19, taking over from Cookie Jar Entertainment. Replaced by Oasis Animation for season 20 onward)
- Barney & Friends (current distributor, with HIT Entertainment)
- Best Ed
- Blue's Clues & You! (with Nickelodeon)
- Cache Craze
- Camp Lakebottom
- Charlie's Colorforms City
- Clifford the Big Red Dog (2019 reboot, with Scholastic Entertainment and Amazon Studios)
- Creative Galaxy (with Out of the Blue Enterprises and Amazon Studios)
- Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (with Out of the Blue Enterprises)
- Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz (storyboards for 2 episodesList )
- Finding Stuff Out (with Apartment 11 Productions)
- Fugget About It
- Full Out (film)
- Furze World Wonders
- Garfield and Friends (current distributor)
- Guess How Much I Love You (season 2)
- Harriet the Spy: Blog Wars (film)
- The Hollow
- I'm an Animal
- Jacob Two-Two (season 5, with Nelvana)
- Kiss and Cry (film)
- Let's Go Luna! (formerly titled Luna Around the World)
- Little Critter - the Animated Adaptation (currently in Development Hell, after having previously been so with Nelvana for years)
- Luo Bao Bei (distribution outside of China)
- The Magic School Bus Rides Again (with Scholastic Entertainment)
- Making Stuff
- Max and Ruby (seasons 3 to 5, with Nelvana)
- Nature Cat (with Spiffy Pictures)
- Nerds and Monsters (distribution only)
- Numb Chucks
- Peep and the Big Wide World
- Peg + Cat
- Postcards from Buster (season 2)
- Pound Puppies (2010) (first 7 episodes of season 1 only. Replaced by DHX Media Vancouver for the rest of the series)
- The Stanley Dynamic - a live-action/animated hybrid (animation only; series is produced by Amaze Film + Television and Nelvana)
- Survive This
- Top Wing (with Industrial Brothers and Nickelodeon)
- Wibbly Pig
- Wild Kratts
- Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum
Tropes associated with 9 Story:
- Animation Bump: Some of their shows have better animation than others.
- Creator's Oddball: Most of 9 Story's cartoons are aimed at children. Fugget About It, on the other hand, is not one of them.
- Limited Animation / Off-Model: Happens quite a bit. Their work on Arthur is arguably one of the most notorious examples. The Magic School Bus Rides Again and their HD reanimated intro for Garfield and Friends are also pretty suspect in terms of quality.
- Production Posse: 9 Story appears to have strong ties with PBS Kids as of late, as a good chunk of their shows from The New '10s (Wild Kratts, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, seasons 16-19 of Arthur, Peg + Cat, Nature Cat, Let's Go Luna!, Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum and the Clifford the Big Red Dog reboot) are produced by the company.