Erky Perky is an Australian-Canadian All-CGI Cartoon produced by Canada's CCI Entertainment (previously known for Eckhart and Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs) and Australia's Ambience Entertainment for Canada's YTV and Australia's Seven Network. The series was created by David Gurney, and it ran for 3 seasons with 78 episodes from 2006 to 2009.
The show stars Erquhart "Erky" Windsor (the blue one) and Percyville "Perky" Rosendahl (the yellow one), two lazy, bickering, dimwitted bugs who used to live on a hot dog cart on the streets of a big city, enjoying their idyllic life and the plentiful food scraps around them. However, one day Erky and Perky are accidentally bundled into a hotdog bag and taken home to a clean and sterile suburban kitchen with very little food scraps to eat. Now Erky and Perky must survive life in this strange new land, adapting to life with the other insect denizens of "the land of Kitchen", trying to find food in this barren and unfamiliar world, and occasionally trying to return to their former home of "Hot Dog Stand" — all with varying degrees of success.
Erky Perky provides examples of:
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Mad Margret has Kitchen intruders fashioned into leather goods.
- Death World: Hot Dog Stand's true nature. The food is plentiful, but the metal floors made it unbearable to walk on in a sunny day, and there's a bug there that's bigger and meaner than Mad Margaret (and less eloquent than Boof).
- Delusions of Eloquence: Stinks tends to talk this way.
- Expository Theme Tune: The theme song explains the entire premise of the show.
- Four-Legged Insect: All of the bugs are depicted with four limbs—two arms, two legs—although a few also have a set of wings.
- Gasshole: Stinks, who farts almost constantly. Justified, as he is a stinkbug. And needs to do so in order to maintain flight as he can't walk or run very fast.
- Genuine Human Hide: The insect equivalent. Local tyrant Mad Margret has bugs who displease made into handbags: with their faces still intact.
- Honest John's Dealership: Frenzel always has profitable schemes on the go, preying on other bugs' naiveté or weaknesses to get himself ahead.
- Large and in Charge: Mad Margret is the biggest bug in kitchen.
- Name and Name: More like Name Name.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Averted, usually the name "Sedusa" is reserved for villains. But Sedusa in this show is sweet and kind and is nothing like her evil aunt.
- Orphaned Punchline: "...so I said 'If you're going to do that with my teeth, we should get married!'"
- Rambling Old Man Monologue: Moldy van Oldy is a senile old bug who loves to talk and talk for hours, sometimes about actual events, sometimes nothing more than senseless ramblings.
- Running Gag: Whenever a character says "this stinks" or a word with "stink" in it, or a word that sounds like stink, Stinks appears.
- Unexplained Accent: Despite the show presumably taking place in Australia or Canada (the countries that produced it), the main characters have thick Scottish accents for some reason.
- Tongue on the Flagpole: Happens whenever the bugs get into the refrigerator. Fortunately, most of the characters have detachable tongues.