Historically, though, Seven has been second to Nine and has always tried hard to beat them with a variety of shows. Some have been great successes, such as comedy shows Fast Forward and Full Frontal or dramas like Blue Heelers, Homicide or Winners And Losers, some of which haven't been forgotten. However it more than makes up for their problems with a good amount of sports rights such as Australian Rules Football and The Olympic Games, along with both Australian Opens in tennis and golf.
The network's graphical and audio image has been shared mainly with the American NBC over the years and actually uses that network's news theme, The Mission by John Williams as their own; Nine Network has a similar relationship with ABC.
Seven is also fondly remembered for its dedication to the art form that is the children's game show and is notable for being the only major commercial television network in Australia not to have been suffering severe financial issues recently. As of 2011 the network is owned by Seven West Media. In 2021, SWM acquired Seven's longtime regional partner, Prime Media Group.
Currently broadcasts six television channels:
- Seven: the original channel.
- 7two: launched November 2009.
- 7mate: launched September 2010. Targeted towards men, in case you couldn't tell by the name.
- RACING.COM: launched August 2015. Shows Victorian and South Australian horse racing.
- 7Flix: launched February 2016. Shows movies and family-oriented content, largely Disney and Food Network material.
- 7Bravo: launched January 2023. Shows reality TV and pop culture shows from the likes of Bravo, E!, NBC & Oxygen.