Short for E! Entertainment Television, E! is a channel dedicated to news and gossip about the entertainment industry. It is owned by NBCUniversal (which in turn is owned by Comcast), thus is a sister channel to NBC, USA Network, Syfy, etc.
Notable for its E! True Hollywood Story documentary series, which is essentially the general entertainment version of VH1's Behind The Music.
Their Canadian counterpart had previously been known as Star!, and was owned by CHUM Limited before CTVglobemedia (now Bell Media) bought them in 2006; Star! rebranded as E! in 2010. Prior to then, the E! name, logo, and some programming were licensed to Canwest (owners of Global), which rebranded its secondary TV system, CH, as E! in 2007. But due to a crippling debt load, Canwest went bankrupt in 2009, resulting in the CH/E! system being dismantled as the stations were either sold off or shuttered.
Other notable original programming from E!:
- The Chelsea Handler Show and Chelsea Lately, and After Lately, which all feature Insult Comic Chelsea Handler.
- Dr. 90210.
- The Girls Next Door (aka Girls Of The Playboy Mansion) and its spinoffs Kendra and Holly's Worldnote . Both co-produced with Fox Television Studios.
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians and its spinoffs Kourtney And Khloé Take Miami (renamed Kourtney And Kim Take Miami), Kourtney And Kim Take New York, Khloé And Lamar and Kourtney & Khloé Take The Hamptons.
- Love You, Mean It With Whitney Cummings. Produced with Borderline Amazing Productions (Chelsea Handler's company).
- Talk Soup and its retool The Soup.
- Total Divas
- The Dance Scene
- The Royals - E!'s first scripted series. Produced by Lionsgate Television and Universal Cable Productions (E! is owned by NBCUniversal Cable).
- The Arrangement (2017)
- Fashion Police with Joan Rivers