Oh No! It's An Alien Invasion is a Canadian CG-Animated Series from Nelvana that was created by Vancouver-based animators Philippe Ivanusic-Vallee and Peter Ricq (both of whom also co-created League of Super Evil at Nerd Corps Entertainment) for YTV.
The Earth has been invaded by an alien race known as the Brainlings, led by their idiot manchild emperor Brainlius III and the supreme commander of his armies, Briiian (yes, that's with three i's). As part of their invasion scheme, the Brainlings have abducted all of Earth's adult human population, leaving only the children behind.
With nobody else left to fend off the aliens, it's up to the kids to fight back. Under the leadership of a young boy named Nate, the kids have taken refuge in a department store and formed a resistance team of their own known as S.W.E.E.T. (Super Wicked Extreme Emergency Team). Along with an oddball group of fellow grade-schoolers (consisting of Turret, Scoops, Shakes, Jumbo Ninja, Louis, and Lily), Nate is intent on fighting the Brainlings off the planet, as well as locating and rescuing the captured adults, most chiefly their parents.
Oh No! It's An Alien Invasion contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Turret fills this role among the female members of S.W.E.E.T.
- Adipose Rex: Emperor Brainlius III is the biggest and fattest of the Brainlings, as well as their ruler.
- Alien Invasion: The Brainlings have invaded Earth and abducted all the adults.
- The Baby of the Bunch: Lily is the youngest of the kids making up S.W.E.E.T., and acts the most like a young child of them as well, so she generally doesn't participate in any action.
- Bland-Name Product: The kids' home base is a store called Wal-Ma- (ahem) Swell-Mart.
- …But He Sounds Handsome: In "The Spandexter", Louis adopts a secret identity as the costumed Spandexter. When Nate invites the Spandexter back to their headquarters to meet Louis as they are both into science, the Spandexter says that Louis sounds "really, really, really cool. And handsome".
- The Caligula: Emperor Brainlius III is the obese, insane, moronic, and childlike ruler of the Brainlings.
- Cheek Copy: In one episode the kids attempt to set a new world record for doing this, only to be beaten by the aliens who have a photocopier that produces its own paper.
- Childish Tooth Gap: Lily has a gap in her upper teeth.
- Christmas Episode: "Ho Oh No", in which S.W.E.E.T. decides to carry out Christmas for the kids when they deduce that Santa has likely also been abducted by the Brainlings. However, Emperor Brainlius is also trying the same thing (with a reluctant Briiian being dragged along), due to his newfound obsession with the holiday, except that his poor understanding of Christmas threatens to ruin it for the kids.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Due to Emperor Brainlius' ineptitude, the whole invasion is mostly masterminded by his general Briiian, and the kids usually have to deal with his schemes.
- Dropped in the Toilet: In "The Royal Flush", Emperor Brainlius III accidentally drops a cootie catcher in his toilet, and then he flushes it out of force of habit, much to his horror. This sets off the plot for the episode, as he ends up clogging all the pipes in the city. The episode ends with him dropping it in there again.
- Extra Eyes: Briiian is differentiated from the other Brainlings by having three eyes rather than two (although one of them is covered up with an eyepatch).
- Fun with Acronyms: The kids' resistance movement is known as S.W.E.E.T.: Super Wicked Extreme Emergency Team.
- Gratuitous Ninja: Jumbo Ninja, a member of the team.
- Growling Gut: Scoops does this in "Brainlings On Parade", "The Future Is Now", and "Lost In The Hood".
- Girlish Pigtails: Lily has them.
- Kid Hero: A whole team of them fighting against the Brainlings, with Nate standing out in particular given his role as team leader.
- La Résistance: S.W.E.E.T. is a resistance group of children fighting against the aliens who have invaded their planet and kidnapped their parents.
- The Leader: Nate fills this role in the team.
- Left Hanging: The series ends with the adults still captured.
- Little Miss Badass: The female members of S.W.E.E.T., naturally. Turret stands out in particular as the most action-y of the bunch.
- Lovable Coward: Shakes, as his name suggests, is usually shaking his his shoes when up against the Brainlings, but is nonetheless a loyal and trusted member of the team.
- The Mall: The Swell-Mart, which S.W.E.E.T. uses as their base of operations.
- Mirror Universe: Louis gets sent to one in one episode. In it, S.W.E.E.T. are the villains who used the Brainlings' technology to abduct all the Earth's parents, while the Brainlings are hiding in Swell-Mart, trying to restore order to the world.
- Monochromatic Eyes: The standard Brainling Mooks have solid bright green eyes.
- Opening Shout-Out: Halfway through the series finale S.W.E.E.T. takes over the Brainlings' ship and a version of the intro plays with their roles reversed.
- Potty Emergency: In "The Royal Flush", all of S.W.E.E.T. is forced to hold it in because Emperor Brainlius III's new hobby of flushing things down the toilet has clogged the sewers.
- Punny Name: Brainlius' name sounds a lot like "brainless", which befits his idiotic personality.
- Rapid Aging: In "The Stache'", Shakes is blasted with a ray that Briiian developed to use on Nate. It causes him to rapidly get older and older. He's an old man by the time S.W.E.E.T. obtains the ray to turn him back to normal.
- The Silent Bob: Jumbo Ninja speaks in hand action, not words.
- The Smart Guy: Louis takes this role for the team, studying the aliens, conducting tactics and communications from base, and developing new gadgetry to fight the Brainlings.
- Stealth Pun: Briiian's name is spelled with three i's, and he's also the only Brainling with three eyes.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tough Action Girl Turret is the Tomboy to Intrepid Reporter pageant queen Scoops' Girly Girl.
- The Voiceless: Jumbo Ninja never speaks.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Dog drool is the aliens' weakness.