Night Slashers is 1993 arcade beat 'em up developed by Data East, and it's notable for two reasons: 1) It's one of the few beat 'em ups that deliberately utilize campy horror tropes, featuring all-favorite monsters such as zombies, werewolves, and psychotic killers. 2) Although beat 'em ups are never far from violence and blood, Night Slashers is surprisingly graphic, not afraid to show intestines spurting out as the enemies fall down. These made Night Slashers a class of its own, and it became one of the most sought Data East games after years.
Night Slashers provide examples of:
- Adjustable Censorship: For those not too fond of the gore, Night Slashers offers optional dip switch setting to replace them with tamer version, which paints the blood to green and simplifies the gory animation.
- Affectionate Parody: Night Slashers is likely a product of homage to various cheeky horror films from Evil Dead to Braindead.
- Balance, Power, Skill, Gimmick: Christopher Smith is Jack-of-All-Stats, Jake Hunter is Mighty Glacier, and Zhao Hong Hua is Fragile Speedster.
- Big Bad: The main villain of the game is King Zarutz, some sort of skeletal robot behemoth out to conquer the world by killing humanity with an army of monsters.
- Boss Banter: The player character has a conversation with the boss before every battle.
- Car Fu: The first stage opens up with the gang storming into a horde of zombies.
- Critical Hit: Occasionally your attack will land on enemies with Written Sound Effect "SLASH!" or "CRASH!", which will deal great damage on them (and is usually a fatal blow on most normal enemies).
- Disc-One Final Boss: Done twice. The game at first sets it up like the vampire boss is the main villain. After the goal of sealing off the portals to the netherworld is completed, it then looks like The Grim Reaper will be the final boss, but he also turns out to be a subordinate. Ultimately, it's revealed that King Zarutz is the main villain.
- Game Gourmet: Features cake, curry, gyoza, hot dogs, lychees, roast beef, and soup to heal yourself with.
- Large Ham: The voice acting is generally this. Notable one is this speech from Christopher every time he gets up after knock down:Christopher: You caught me off guard!
- Monster Mash: The game has the player fight all sorts of monsters. Regular enemies include zombies, werewolves, and knife-wielding psychos, while bosses include a Mad Scientist, a Frankenstein's Monster, a vampire, and The Grim Reaper.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Jake Hunter is a psychic cyborg serving as monster hunter.
- Title Drop: The opening during the demo.Hunters: It's safe in here. Leave the rest to us!Citizen: Who... Who are you?Hunters: Us? I'll tell you who we are...NIGHT SLASHERS